PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo says Steelers have #1 LBs

Oviedo
07-15-2010, 09:07 AM
I think adding Worilds, Gibson and Stevenson just makes us that much stronger. Hopefully Harrison only having 2 sacks in the final 8 games was a fluke and not the start of a Jason Gildon-like decline. Timmons is goiing to have a monster season. I could see Timmons, Harrison and Woodley all having double digit sacks.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A ... ings071210 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AhEaGZCe4FmbXJtAsDohgO5DubYF?slug=jc-lbrankings071210)

1. Pittsburgh: With LaMarr Woodley and James Harrison, the Steelers have the best combination of accomplished pass rushers among 3-4 defenses in the NFL. In fact, itís not real close. The only team that could close the gap anytime soon is Dallas if Anthony Spencer improves. When you add in inside linebackers James Farrior and Lawrence Timmons (seven sacks last season), you have the best overall linebacking corps in the league by a pretty good margin. Dallas is really good, but the Steelers are special.

costanza2k1
07-15-2010, 12:11 PM
If Timmons can learn to take on a blocking RB in the backfield this year I can see him having a lot of sacks. Too often he gets chipped away from the QB when you expect him to just demolish everyone in sight.

SteelStallion
07-15-2010, 12:32 PM
I don't know, maybe part true part media hype. Wood and Silver are still the best and Timmons and the draftees are promising. But Farrior is just done IMO and Fox maybe okay but he's no 'heir apparent.' He used to be the best but no more- hope I'm wrong. That maybe too big a whole to say that the Steelers are #1 in total LB play. And I think the ILB play last year was as faulty as some of the other issues.

flippy
07-15-2010, 12:52 PM
This is an acknowledgement of Harrison/Woodley.

I thought Harrison was basically playing with one good arm during the second half of the season.

Even if he comes back with another DMVP performance, I still think Woodley outplays him this year.

Farrior and Timmons are still question marks for me at this point.

And hopefully 1 if not all of the rookie LBs pan out.

ter1230_4
07-15-2010, 02:48 PM
I don't know, maybe part true part media hype. Wood and Silver are still the best and Timmons and the draftees are promising. But Farrior is just done IMO and Fox maybe okay but he's no 'heir apparent.' He used to be the best but no more- hope I'm wrong. That maybe too big a whole to say that the Steelers are #1 in total LB play. And I think the ILB play last year was as faulty as some of the other issues.

I agree, based on last year's performance it looks to me like Farrior is done. His total inabilty to pass cover backs cost the Steelers two games last year, the first loss to the Bungles and the OT loss to the Ravens. If you remember, in the Ravens game the Steelers were leading by 3 with just over 3 minutes remaining, and the Ravens went for it on a 4th and 5. When I saw Ray Rice go in motion and Farrior go with him I knew we were screwed. But I think that the Steelers are also concerned about Farrior, which is why they re-signed Foote to a 3 year contract. Don't get me wrong, Farrior has been a great Steelers LB, but nobody plays forever. Even Jack Lambert had to hang them up eventually. This season the only thing that will make me as crazy as seeing the Steelers in an empty backfield on 3rd and short is seeing Farrior playing in any 3rd down situation.

Oviedo
07-15-2010, 02:59 PM

I agree, based on last year's performance it looks to me like Farrior is done. His total inabilty to pass cover backs cost the Steelers two games last year, the first loss to the Bungles and the OT loss to the Ravens. If you remember, in the Ravens game the Steelers were leading by 3 with just over 3 minutes remaining, and the Ravens went for it on a 4th and 5. When I saw Ray Rice go in motion and Farrior go with him I knew we were screwed. But I think that the Steelers are also concerned about Farrior, which is why they re-signed Foote to a 3 year contract. Don't get me wrong, Farrior has been a great Steelers LB, but nobody plays forever. Even Jack Lambert had to hang them up eventually. This season the only thing that will make me as crazy as seeing the Steelers in an empty backfield on 3rd and short is seeing Farrior playing in any 3rd down situation.

Timmons needs to be playing Farrior's position. Our fastest LB needs to be covering RBs and TEs not an aging Farrior.

ramblinjim
07-15-2010, 03:11 PM
:Agree with Ovie. Timmons needs to be the coverage line backer and foote needs to be the run stuffer.

Silver Back and Wood as bookends are as good as they come.

jj28west
07-15-2010, 07:57 PM
Could this years group be our best core group in history? I have to believe Silverback and Farrior had to be injured but were not making excuses. Somewhere Farrior said he was taking bad angles.

Think about this. In the last ten years how many games did you see an RB beating us on the corner. Yes there were times that Taylor, Jones Drew out of Jacksonville & Rudi Johnson out of Cincinatti had decent days but it seemd they were running inside out. That Cleveland game where they got to the corner and beyond several times was really weird to watch coming from a fan who is spoiled by historically excellent run defense.

ter1230_4
07-15-2010, 09:42 PM
Could this years group be our best core group in history? I have to believe Silverback and Farrior had to be injured but were not making excuses. Somewhere Farrior said he was taking bad angles.

Potsie's in the league 12 years, and all of a sudden last year he started taking bad angles? More likely he lost a step or two and the angles he was used to taking didn't work any more. I'd like to hope that there was some unspoken injury that held Farrior back last year, but the truth is that he is now 35 years old (he'll be 36 in January), and LB is not a position that is kind to 35 year olds. Matter of fact, there aren't too many positions in the NFL (other than kicker or punter) that are kind to 35 year olds. It's a young man's sport. They brought back Foote who just turned 30 (which is still young enough), and I agree with the comments above that the Steelers need to get Timmons and Foote involved. Based on last year's performance Farrior should be a backup, and depending on how this rookie crop of LB's looks in camp, maybe Farrior should consider retirement. Look at the bright side, Ray Lewis is 35 too, and he is going to come to the end of the road shortly. The Steelers are much better positioned to replace Farrior than the Ratbirds are to replace Lewis.

NJ-STEELER
07-15-2010, 09:58 PM
i just made my yearly purchase of Lindy's NFL preview.

it ranked the steelers LB's 2nd to the ravens.

they had woodley at the top of strong side LB's and Debo 2nd at will side

ravens had ray ray 2nd in the middle (i dont think he's at that level anymore) suggs ranked 5th and johnson 10 at Strong side LB

NorthCoast
07-16-2010, 09:20 AM
ProfootballFocus has Foote ranked above Farrior and this is primarily due to coverage where Farrior was ranked as only the 31st best ILB in the league. Farrior might try to deny it (we all do to some degree) but his skills were noticeably lower last season. The telling sign of age?...he got worse as the season wore on. A smarter plan would be to rotate him frequently with other players, grooming the young guys while extending Farrior's career.

I love Farrior, but it was not pleasant to watch him in some games last year.

Oviedo
07-16-2010, 09:48 AM
ProfootballFocus has Foote ranked above Farrior and this is primarily due to coverage where Farrior was ranked as only the 31st best ILB in the league. Farrior might try to deny it (we all do to some degree) but his skills were noticeably lower last season. The telling sign of age?...he got worse as the season wore on. A smarter plan would be to rotate him frequently with other players, grooming the young guys while extending Farrior's career.

I love Farrior, but it was not pleasant to watch him in some games last year.

I have to agree. Time may have just caught up to Farrior. It will be interesting to see how he can perform this season. I have to wonder if Troy being out and the sub-par Ty Carter on the field forced the defense to put Farrior into match ups that he could not handle. It will be interesting to watch what Troy being back (hopefully) does. Bottom line is that Timmons needs to move to the position (can never keep the names straight) that Farrior plays.

Foote really isn't an option helping in pass coverage because he was never very good at that. I love what the team did with getting younger and more athletic at OLB but I still think we need to get younger on the inside too. It was just that the lack of depth at OLB was a greater need this draft. Hopefully we bring in another young stud ILB next draft.

cruzer8
07-16-2010, 10:30 AM
You'd better believe that missing Smith affected Farrior. Smith is a tremendous force in helping to collapse the pocket, giving the QB less time to scan the field. If the QB has less time then LBs don't have to cover receivers as long.

Ultimate team sport.

SteelerNation1
07-16-2010, 10:59 AM
I have a feeling Farrior has a good year left. That said, he is no longer a 3 down ILB. He needs to be removed from the field on 3rd down. Especially when we play Balt and Ray Rice is leaking out of the backfield.

Jooser
07-16-2010, 02:28 PM
I have to agree with all of you guys regarding Farrior. I think Deebo will be back mean as ever this season. Woodley is one of my favorite players on the team and I think he'll be fine too. Timmons seems a bit out of place at times, though I can't argue he's a beast.

:tt2

Oviedo
07-16-2010, 02:46 PM
I have to agree with all of you guys regarding Farrior. I think Deebo will be back mean as ever this season. Woodley is one of my favorite players on the team and I think he'll be fine too. Timmons seems a bit out of place at times, though I can't argue he's a beast.

Timmons is only out place because there are two All Pro LBs on the same team and LeBeau hasn't acknowledged what everyone else saw with regards to Farrior not being able to perform to the level he has in the past. Timmons needs to move to the Mack position.

ANPSTEEL
07-16-2010, 03:56 PM

Timmons is only out place because there are two All Pro LBs on the same team and LeBeau hasn't acknowledged what everyone else saw with regards to Farrior not being able to perform to the level he has in the past. Timmons needs to move to the Mack position.

yep-- or a 4-3.

Jooser
07-16-2010, 06:13 PM
**sniff**

ALLD
07-16-2010, 07:44 PM

Think about this. In the last ten years how many games did you see an RB beating us on the corner. Yes there were times that Taylor, Jones Drew out of Jacksonville & Rudi Johnson out of Cincinatti had decent days but it seemd they were running inside out. That Cleveland game where they got to the corner and beyond several times was really weird to watch coming from a fan who is spoiled by historically excellent run defense.

The greatest Steeler LBer corps in history was and always will be:

1. Jack Lambert

2. Jack Ham

3. Andy Russell

RuthlessBurgher
07-16-2010, 11:33 PM

1. Jack Lambert

2. Jack Ham

3. Andy Russell

The best 3-4 LB corps may have been Lloyd-Kirkland-Brown-Greene, but our current bunch is pretty comparable.

SteelStallion
07-18-2010, 11:10 AM

Too bad, anytime the fans contemplate a position change that makes perfect common sense, and you see other teams do this with success, in our coaches' world it's out of the question. The real concern here is that because of the contract mistake and because of the culture of the 'Steeler way,' Farrior will start, no questions asked, no matter how bad he playes or how good a younger player looks. To me this is the aspect of the 'Steeler way' that could stand to be a little bit more progressive.

feltdizz
07-18-2010, 02:50 PM
Farrior has lost a step but I have seen RB's like Rice outrun the fastest LB's...
It was a great play call by the other team.

Farrior will start this year but I wouldn't mind seeing less of him as the year goes on if he looks like he did last year.

ikestops85
07-20-2010, 01:01 PM

1. Jack Lambert

2. Jack Ham

3. Andy Russell

Not only the greatest Steeler LBer corp but probably the greatest NFL LBer corp in history!!

At least from my homer point of view. :tt2 :tt2

SteelerNation1
07-20-2010, 01:07 PM
The best 3-4 LB corps may have been Lloyd-Kirkland-Brown-Greene, but our current bunch is pretty comparable.

That group could rush the passer like nobody's business, but I think our current group of LB's play the run and rush the QB a little better overall.

NJ-STEELER
07-20-2010, 06:05 PM

1. Jack Lambert

2. Jack Ham

3. Andy Russell

Not only the greatest Steeler LBer corp but probably the greatest NFL LBer corp in history!!

i'm interested in seeing someone post a corps that can rival it or try to.

NYG fans might come up with LT, carson, van pelt and dont remeber if banks or someone else played with them

i wonder if the NFLN has done a top 10 lists on this.

i remember seeing top 10 shutdown cornere tandems and IIRC a DL themed show

RuthlessBurgher
07-20-2010, 06:14 PM

1. Jack Lambert

2. Jack Ham

3. Andy Russell

i'm interested in seeing someone post a corps that can rival it or try to.

NYG fans might come up with LT, carson, van pelt and dont remeber if banks or someone else played with them

i wonder if the NFLN has done a top 10 lists on this.

i remember seeing top 10 shutdown cornere tandems and IIRC a DL themed show

NFL Network did do a top LB corps show. And I believe the Pat Swilling-Sam Mills-Vaughn Johnson-Rickey Jackson Saints came out #1.

:wft

NJ-STEELER
07-20-2010, 06:17 PM
your're right.

i remeber that the saints were #1.

where did ham,Lam, and russ make that list?

RuthlessBurgher
07-20-2010, 06:25 PM
your're right.

where did ham,Lam, and russ make that list?

Had to look it up.

1970's Steelers LB's came in at #2.

1990's Steelers LB's came in at #7.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story?id=09000d5d808a901f&template=with-video&confirm=true

NJ-STEELER
07-20-2010, 07:31 PM
your're right.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story?id=09000d5d808a901f&template=with-video&confirm=true

awesome