PDA

View Full Version : Tourism agency eyes Super Bowl

fordfixer
07-15-2010, 01:19 AM
Tourism agency eyes Super Bowl
By Rob Rossi, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, July 15, 2010
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 90466.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_690466.html)

As president of Visit Pittsburgh, the region's official tourism agency, Joe McGrath worked with the Pirates on landing the 2006 All-Star Game; the Penguins on the 2011 NHL Winter Classic; Duquesne on the 2012 NCAA men's basketball tournament opening rounds; and Robert Morris on the 2013 Frozen Four. He would like to work with the Rooney family on helping Pittsburgh follow New York/New Jersey's lead in hosting an outdoor Super Bowl.

Q: Knowing now that the NFL has committed to playing an outdoor Super Bowl in New Jersey, is Pittsburgh considering a bid?

A: I'd be more than happy to put in a bid for it. I tried to convince the Steelers before they built the new stadium to put a dome on it. Frankly they said, "Our fans won't go for that." I said, "But we can get a Super Bowl." They said, "Eh, we get enough." ... But it does make a tremendous difference in our January. The hospitality community here lives and dies by the Steelers getting into the playoffs in January. We don't meet the seating requirements (for a Super Bowl). They can pack it in (at Heinz Field), and sometimes they bend it. Certainly the Rooneys and the Steelers' organization and those ins with the National Football League it can happen. I wouldn't put it out of mind.

Q: Won't every cold-weather NFL city be watching how that New York/New Jersey Super Bowl goes before considering a bid?

A: Yeah, and things have changed. When you're talking about the Super Bowl it's so expensive to attend, and it's all about corporate entertainment. It's what happens off the field as much as what happens on the field not for the sports fans but the ones looking to be entertained. There are things that didn't exist 10 years ago like heated tents which make it more doable in a cold city like ours.

RuthlessBurgher
07-15-2010, 01:31 PM
I won't be holding my breath. This team is more interested in winning Super Bowls than hosting Super Bowls.