View Full Version : Steelers' Tomlin receives contract extension

costanza2k1
07-13-2010, 01:00 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10194/1072422-66.stm

Tuesday, July 13, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Peter Diana/Post-Gazette
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin.
The Steelers have ended speculation about Mike Tomlin's status as their coach by coming to an agreement with him on a three-year contract extension, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has learned.

Tomlin's new contract will carry him through 2014. His previous contract, signed when the Steelers hired him in '07, had one year and an option left. The five-year deal was worth an average of $2.5 million annually.

The Steelers have not yet announced Tomlin's new contract and financial terms were unavailable.

Steelers president Art Rooney, who negotiated the deal with his coach, is on vacation and could not be reached for comment.

In similar circumstances, Arizona Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt, with two years left on his first deal, signed an entirely new five-year contract in February that reportedly will pay him an annual average of between $5.5 million and $6 million.

In the past when the Steelers extended the contract of former coach Bill Cowher, the terms of the original deal would remain in place and the new salary would not kick in until the new extended portion of the contract began.

Whisenhunt was a candidate to replace Cowher, who resigned as Steelers coach after the 2006 season. Instead, Whisenhunt took Arizona's offer to become the Cardinals' head coach and the Steelers hired Tomlin.

Whisenhunt and Tomlin received virtually identical contracts of four years and an option year that averaged $2.5 million annually.

If Tomlin, 38, and the Steelers followed suit and negotiated a comparable contract again, it would be the highest contract the team has paid its head coach. For that to happen, however, an entirely new contract would have had to be done and it does not appear to have happened.

Tomlin's record as coach is 31-17 in three regular seasons.

Since Cowher succeeded Chuck Noll as their coach in 1992, the Steelers traditionally extended his contract whenever there were two years remaining on his old deal. Sometimes the extension would be for two years, others for three.

They did that until the sides could not come to terms before the 2006 season and Cowher resigned with one year left on his deal.

Often, those contract extensions came well before the start of training camp, and as Tomlin's fourth camp at Saint Vincent College approached its July 30 start with no news on a contract extension, speculation took hold as to whether the Steelers even wanted to negotiate one.

Tomlin's 2009 team failed to defend its Super Bowl title when, after a 6-2 start, it lost five in a row and tumbled to 9-7.

There were reports shortly after the season that Tomlin would fire offensive coordinator Bruce Arians at the behest of the front office.

While Tomlin did fire several coaches, he kept Arians. Tomlin and Art Rooney denied there were any pressure to fire Arians.

There also has been speculation about football operations director Kevin Colbert's status because he is in the final year of his contract and because of persistent Internet reports that he would team up with Cowher as general manager of another NFL team. Cowher has not coached since 2006 and has worked as a studio host for CBS's "NFL Today" since the '07 season.

Colbert is expected to receive a new contract as well.

Ed Bouchette: ebouchette@post-gazette.com.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10194/10 ... z0tXGFnePK (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10194/1072422-66.stm#ixzz0tXGFnePK)

hawaiiansteel
07-13-2010, 01:35 AM
Great move by the FO, this franchise is in need of stability.

We are going to unleash some hell next season! :tt2 :tt2

http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2009/01/18/sp-afc19_ph1_0499680360.jpg

stlrz d
07-13-2010, 07:51 AM
LOL @ all those who said this was going to be a "judgment" season for him. :lol:

Great move by the team!

Oviedo
07-13-2010, 07:54 AM
Best news of the off season. A great move by the front office to retained the highest paid "janitor" in the history. This will be a key piece to our success moving forward.

Be on the look out for all the "haters" standing on bridges. Then again don't pay attention because they won't be missed.

So much for all the "informed" local media pundits who thought Tomlin was in trouble for not firing Arians and he was "under evaluation" for this season.

frankthetank1
07-13-2010, 07:55 AM
wow very good news!! this is the highlight of the offseason. 2.5 mill a year, isnt that really cheap? i know coach T is still very young but the guy did win a super bowl. i knew he would be extended, no suprise at all.

Oviedo
07-13-2010, 08:08 AM
wow very good news!! this is the highlight of the offseason. 2.5 mill a year, isnt that really cheap? i know coach T is still very young but the guy did win a super bowl. i knew he would be extended, no suprise at all.

I thought his old contract was for $2.5M. The terms of this one have not been released but I would bet it is double that.

Tomlin's new contract will carry him through 2014. His previous contract, signed when the Steelers hired him in '07, had one year and an option left. The five-year deal was worth an average of $2.5 million annually.

The Steelers have not yet announced Tomlin's new contract and financial terms were unavailable.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10194/10 ... z0tZ06BRXo (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10194/1072422-66.stm#ixzz0tZ06BRXo)

frankthetank1
07-13-2010, 08:13 AM

I thought his old contract was for $2.5M. The terms of this one have not been released but I would bet it is double that.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10194/10 ... z0tZ06BRXo (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10194/1072422-66.stm#ixzz0tZ06BRXo)

oh my bad i misread. thats what happens when you get 3 or 4 hours of sleep :lol:

Oviedo
07-13-2010, 08:49 AM

oh my bad i misread. thats what happens when you get 3 or 4 hours of sleep :lol:

I misread it the same way you did initially.

fezziwig
07-13-2010, 09:17 AM
I don't think Tomlin has the power Cowher did and I doubt he demanded Arians was to stay. He may have asked for Arians or pleaded for Arians. I don't think Tomlin has the strong personality the Cowher had and maybe after years of coaching that might change.
It was the stable move by the Steelers and I don't think I ever believed Tomlin would be gone after this last contract. He did in two season whathad taken Cowher many season. I know he did it with a mostly Cowher team but I have to say, i doubt we would have won a second Super Bowl under Cowher just because of Cowhers buddy rule.

Oviedo
07-13-2010, 09:37 AM
I don't think Tomlin has the power Cowher did and I doubt he demanded Arians was to stay. He may have asked for Arians or pleaded for Arians. I don't think Tomlin has the strong personality the Cowher had and maybe after years of coaching that might change.
It was the stable move by the Steelers and I don't think I ever believed Tomlin would be gone after this last contract. He did in two season whathad taken Cowher many season. I know he did it with a mostly Cowher team but I have to say, i doubt we would have won a second Super Bowl under Cowher just because of Cowhers buddy rule.

If not having "Cowher's personality" means he doesn't have Cowher's ego I totally on board with that. IMO Tomlin was a breath of fresh air after Cowher's pay attention to me persona that he developed in his last years here.

I think Tomlin has been exactly what the Steelers need...a team first, players first coach. I have to wonder if some of that is the fact that he wasn't a player and doesn't have the ego or the need for attention.

Jigawatts
07-13-2010, 09:41 AM
Ahhh. Now we'll never win a Super Bowl.

RuthlessBurgher
:Clap :Bow :tt2 :Steel :tt1 :D :P :mrgreen: :Cheers :Beer

feltdizz

How much power did Cowher have his 4th season?

Oviedo
07-13-2010, 09:43 AM

How much power did Cowher have his 4th season?

Very little until he forced Donahoe out. Still not sure him getting power was a good thing.

cruzer8
07-13-2010, 10:41 AM
Great news!

flippy
07-13-2010, 10:54 AM
I'm glad we extended Tomlin, but I also think he has some work to do as a coach.

He's smart, eloquent, and a hard worker. He empowers those around him and seems to be perfect in everything he says.

But last season was a major disappointment. And many of the same problems were evident during the previous season when he won a SuperBowl.

Although you could also look at this as a team that was on the decline after XL that he tweeked one more SuperBowl out of and it's taken some time to really build the team in his image. He didn't make dramatic changes when he came in. He just squeezed the last bit of blood out of the turnip.

I think this season will tell us a lot about Tomlin.

Is he great or just above average?

I think the jury is still out.

Great coaches don't miss the playoffs often.

Mike's time has come. He's had the runway to build his team. I think the recent draft and FA period says a lot about where we are going.

aggiebones
07-13-2010, 11:10 AM
Solid salary for the league coaches.
I think they basically said, do well these 3 seasons and we'll move you to the $5M category. This is no longer Cowher's leftovers. He can set more of his own mark now.

ANPSTEEL
07-13-2010, 11:24 AM
I have mixed emotions on this-

for a couple of reasons:

1. I'm not sure if we have seen Tomlin's stamp on the team yet. Sure we see LeBeau's Defense- and Arians' Offense- but do we really know what Tomlin would do- aside from hand the reigns over to someone else??

and that brings me to my primary concern, which was brought up in the very last sentence of the article...

2. "...Colbert is expected to receive a new contract as well."

oh, cripes...

Empty backfield on 3rd and short- here we come.

Ghost
07-13-2010, 11:32 AM
Overpaid jan.... oh wait... this isn't the trib live board.....

Oviedo
07-13-2010, 11:33 AM
I'm glad we extended Tomlin, but I also think he has some work to do as a coach.

He's smart, eloquent, and a hard worker. He empowers those around him and seems to be perfect in everything he says.

But last season was a major disappointment. And many of the same problems were evident during the previous season when he won a SuperBowl.

Although you could also look at this as a team that was on the decline after XL that he tweeked one more SuperBowl out of and it's taken some time to really build the team in his image. He didn't make dramatic changes when he came in. He just squeezed the last bit of blood out of the turnip.

Mike's time has come. He's had the runway to build his team. I think the recent draft and FA period says a lot about where we are going.

Cowher missed the play offs 5 out of 15 seasons. Is that great?

He did make the play offs his first 6 seasons but that was with Noll's players :stirpot

RuthlessBurgher
07-13-2010, 11:47 AM
and that brings me to my primary concern, which was brought up in the very last sentence of the article...

oh, cripes...

I'll never understand disdain for Colbert from some Steeler fans. People tend to argue about who is one of "Cowher's guys" vs. one of "Tomlin's guys" but I don't see how you can argue what Colbert has done, since they are virtually all "Colbert's guys" at this point. Now that Deshea Townsend is no longer a Steeler, the only guys on the team who weren't brough in by Colbert (who came to Pittsburgh in 2000) were Hines Ward (1998) and Aaron Smith (1999). He built the SBXL team and the SBXLIII team. His run of success with first round picks (Burress, Hampton, Simmons, Polamalu, Roethlisberger, Miller, Holmes, Timmons, Mendenhall, Hood, Pouncey) in unmatched in the league. Who else is better? Seriously...I'll rejoice with the same happy smileys when we re-up Colbert, just like I did today when we extended Tomlin's contract.

Ghost
07-13-2010, 11:51 AM
Getting Colbert re-signed is great as well. I thought there was a chance that Cowher would give him a call at the end of the season, promise a big salary by telling any team interested that it was a 2 person deal, and the two of them would take over some team and the Steelers would lose out. He's done good things for this team and it's easy to see the first 4 draft choices this year making the 53 man roster and a couple more as well.

SteelerNation1
07-13-2010, 11:54 AM

oh, cripes...

I'll never understand disdain for Colbert from some Steeler fans. People tend to argue about who is one of "Cowher's guys" vs. one of "Tomlin's guys" but I don't see how you can argue what Colbert has done, since they are virtually all "Colbert's guys" at this point. Now that Deshea Townsend is no longer a Steeler, the only guys on the team who weren't brough in by Colbert (who came to Pittsburgh in 2000) were Hines Ward (1998) and Aaron Smith (1999). He built the SBXL team and the SBXLIII team. His run of success with first round picks (Burress, Hampton, Simmons, Polamalu, Roethlisberger, Miller, Holmes, Timmons, Mendenhall, Hood, Pouncey) in unmatched in the league. Who else is better? Seriously...I'll rejoice with the same happy smileys when we re-up Colbert, just like I did today when we extended Tomlin's contract.
I was thinking the exact same thing RB. 2 SB's in 10 years for Colbert. I'll take that. Plus, he virtually NEVER misses on a #1 pick. The only issue with Colbert is his mid-late round selections. However, he has MORE than made up with those swings and misses with the undrafted FA's he brings in.

cruzer8
07-13-2010, 12:09 PM
I have mixed emotions on this-

for a couple of reasons:

1. I'm not sure if we have seen Tomlin's stamp on the team yet. Sure we see LeBeau's Defense- and Arians' Offense- but do we really know what Tomlin would do- aside from hand the reigns over to someone else??

oh, cripes...

Empty backfield on 3rd and short- here we come.

Define "stamp". I've seen idiot Ravens fans using this "argument" against Tomlin getting an extension but never thought I'd see it from a Steelers fan. They can't seem to define what they mean by "stamp". Can you?

frankthetank1
07-13-2010, 12:35 PM

oh, cripes...

neither will i. colbert has done an amazing job with first and second round picks. there are many busts every single year in the early rounds. i cant remember the last 1st round bust that the steelers have had. also getting FA's like farrior, clark, and moore for cheap money were great moves.

flippy
07-13-2010, 02:01 PM

He did make the play offs his first 6 seasons but that was with Noll's players :stirpot

Not arguing either way here on Cowher. He's got a lot of playoff letdowns to go along with that, so I'd likely put him in the really good coach category, but not great.

But Tomlin really put up a turd of a season with the 5 game losing streak and losing so many close/winnable games. And he didn't fix a lot of issues that plagued us from the season before. And he overpromised (Unleashing Hell) and under delivered. Hopefully this turns into a small blip, but it was a horrible season very early in his career. So that's why I see the jury still being out on just how good he is.

phillyesq
07-13-2010, 02:14 PM

If I'm not mistaken, the Steelers had the highest winning percentage in the NFL during Cowher's tenure. I'd consider that great.

And Cowher came out of nowhere with Noll's players. Although the Steelers missed the playoffs the last year under Cowher, it was their SB hangover year, and Tomlin inherited a team a year removed from a SB. Huge difference.

phillyesq
07-13-2010, 02:20 PM

oh, cripes...

neither will i. colbert has done an amazing job with first and second round picks. there are many busts every single year in the early rounds. i cant remember the last 1st round bust that the steelers have had. also getting FA's like farrior, clark, and moore for cheap money were great moves.

Count me among the Colbert supporters. His track record of success in the first round is remarkable. Sure, I'd love to see the Steelers do better in the middle and late rounds, but Colbert is outstanding in the first round. His worst first round pick was Simmons, who after numerous injuries, still started for a number of years.

ANPSTEEL
07-13-2010, 02:41 PM

oh, cripes...

Ruthless- I must confess...

apparently I was on crack this morning.....

when I read that article.... somehow, my 4 remaining brain cells inferred that Arians was the one that would also be extended.

Not sure how I managed to do this- but it is the reality.
:wft

I have no beef with Colbert, and hereby nominate myself for asswipe of the day.

:shock:

:Cheers

RuthlessBurgher
07-13-2010, 02:49 PM

oh, cripes...

Ruthless- I must confess...

apparently I was on crack this morning.....

when I read that article.... somehow, my 4 remaining brain cells inferred that Arians was the one that would also be extended.

Not sure how I managed to do this- but it is the reality.
:wft

I have no beef with Colbert, and hereby nominate myself for asswipe of the day.

:shock:

You are forgiven, you asswipe, you. :wink: If they were also discussing an Arians extension today, I'd be right there with you. I don't have a gigantic problem with him returning this season, but if they were suggesting a long term extension with him right now, I'd be :HeadBanger for sure.

There are some on here that are true Colbert bashers, though. I always have to shake my head when folks refer to our front office as the "brain fart trust" or other related put-downs just because we don't stupidly overspend during the opening days of free agency, for instance. Colbert has proven that his way works, and we have the hardware to prove it.

fezziwig
07-13-2010, 05:12 PM
For the fence sitters about Tomlin I think you might need to wait another season to see what he is truly about. Tomlin in my opinion has been placed in a crap situation over the Ben stuff plus, the loss of Santonio and Colon. Colon isn't much but it is still a loss and to be tossed the hand of cards Tomlin has been dealt is pretty bad especially, with our division starting to improve.

Tomlin won us a Super Bowl as head coach and there were no guarantees that any other coach could have done the same. My only gripe about Tomlin is, he doesn't boot Arians from the team.

Steelers did the right thing by signing him and how much worse could it have gotten with all our problems of late to then, allow the head coach to walk or have issues over his contract ?

cruzer8
07-13-2010, 05:42 PM

If I'm not mistaken, the Steelers had the highest winning percentage in the NFL during Cowher's tenure. I'd consider that great.

And Cowher came out of nowhere with Noll's players. Although the Steelers missed the playoffs the last year under Cowher, it was their SB hangover year, and Tomlin inherited a team a year removed from a SB. Huge difference.

Tomlin took a different team to a title a few short years later. :)

Prowler
07-13-2010, 09:20 PM
The news from this off season just keeps getting worse. Who in their right mind would offer an extension to a coach who could not get the guys motivated enough to beat 4 lousy teams down the stretch.

I can't believe management would give the man of no action more time to destroy this team. I for one am tired of Tomlin standing on the sidelines in silence while his defense gives up another lead and gets shredded once again. He ought to be getting in the guys faces and telling them to get off their lazy asses and show some intensity or get the hell out of town.

On top of this he hired all new guys with a poor body of work to coach the players. How do you think that will work out?

I don't even wanna discuss all the washed up players we picked off either thanks to Tomlin.

In short, Tomlin sucks IMHO.

hawaiiansteel
07-13-2010, 09:25 PM
The news from this off season just keeps getting worse. Who in their right mind would offer an extension to a coach who could not get the guys motivated enough to beat 4 lousy teams down the stretch.

I can't believe management would give the man of no action more time to destroy this team. I for one am tired of Tomlin standing on the sidelines in silence while his defense gives up another lead and gets shredded once again. He ought to be getting in the guys faces and telling them to get off their lazy asses and show some intensity or get the hell out of town.

On top of this he hired all new guys with a poor body of work to coach the players. How do you think that will work out?

I don't even wanna discuss all the washed up players we picked off either thanks to Tomlin.

you are absolutely right, can you believe Tomlin has won ONLY one Super Bowl so far?

Prowler
07-13-2010, 09:28 PM

you are absolutely right, can you believe Tomlin has won ONLY one Super Bowl so far?

It certainly wasn't from anything Tomlin did that season. You can thank Bill Cowher for that SB.

stlrz d
07-13-2010, 09:29 PM
Prowler is a troll. Don't give it the satisfaction.

Prowler
07-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Prowler is a troll. Don't give it the satisfaction.

How I am a troll? I just have a different opinion than you. No need to get crabby about it.

NJ-STEELER
07-14-2010, 01:47 AM

It certainly wasn't from anything Tomlin did that season. You can thank Bill Cowher for that SB.

right, we all know cowher would have won it too.

he never lost a AFCC as a favorite.

jeez, his 1 win came fingertips away (twice) from going winless vs. a vastly inferior colts team

Oviedo
07-14-2010, 08:13 AM
For the fence sitters about Tomlin I think you might need to wait another season to see what he is truly about. Tomlin in my opinion has been placed in a crap situation over the Ben stuff plus, the loss of Santonio and Colon. Colon isn't much but it is still a loss and to be tossed the hand of cards Tomlin has been dealt is pretty bad especially, with our division starting to improve.

Tomlin won us a Super Bowl as head coach and there were no guarantees that any other coach could have done the same. My only gripe about Tomlin is, he doesn't boot Arians from the team.

Steelers did the right thing by signing him and how much worse could it have gotten with all our problems of late to then, allow the head coach to walk or have issues over his contract ?

The "fence sitters" will always want to wait "one more season" for Tomlin to prove himself. There is a group of fans who will always move the goalpost before they Give Tomlin the credit he is due.

I'm thrilled that Tomlin is locked up long term. he has been a breath of fresh air on this team since the day he arrived. He puts the team and players above his own ego and has proven you can be successful as an NFL coach without mugging for the cameras or trying to draw attention to yourself just like the great Chuck Noll's classy style.

grotonsteel
07-14-2010, 08:34 AM
My only gripe about Tomlin is, he doesn't boot Arians from the team.

I think Bruce Arians did ok job as an OC last season. He may not be the greatest OC in the game but he is definitely not the worst.

With an improved O-line and Red-Zone offense Bruce Arians might become a genius.

Oviedo
07-14-2010, 09:32 AM

I think Bruce Arians did ok job as an OC last season. He may not be the greatest OC in the game but he is definitely not the worst.

With an improved O-line and Red-Zone offense Bruce Arians might become a genius.

Everyone wants to ignore the fact that without the changes that Arians has implemented in the offense "the drive" that won the last Super Bowl probably would not have happened. What he has done over the past couple of years with a subpar OL is actually pretty decent. The poor OL really limits what Arians, or any other OC, can do in certain situations.

Arians is a good not great OC, but how many great ones are there really in this league right now?

cruzer8
07-14-2010, 10:28 AM

Everyone wants to ignore the fact that without the changes that Arians has implemented in the offense "the drive" that won the last Super Bowl probably would not have happened. What he has done over the past couple of years with a subpar OL is actually pretty decent. The poor OL really limits what Arians, or any other OC, can do in certain situations.

Arians is a good not great OC, but how many great ones are there really in this league right now?

Ben's scrambling and ability to extend the play is what made that drive possible.

eniparadoxgma
07-14-2010, 10:36 AM
The "fence sitters" will always want to wait "one more season" for Tomlin to prove himself. There is a group of fans who will always move the goalpost before they Give Tomlin the credit he is due.

I'm thrilled that Tomlin is locked up long term. he has been a breath of fresh air on this team since the day he arrived. He puts the team and players above his own ego and has proven you can be successful as an NFL coach without mugging for the cameras or trying to draw attention to yourself just like the great Chuck Noll's classy style.

No point in giving my opinion as you've already done it for me, Oviedo. :Cheers

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
07-14-2010, 10:45 AM

I've not been a fence sitter nor a critic of Tomlin, but I do think that after 2009 it is justified to want to see him improve his performance in 2010.

Last season's results:

Week 2 - L 17-14 @ Chicago (7-9)

After the bye we are 5-2:

Week 11 - L 27-24 @ KC (4-12) (one week after losing a game at home to Cincy)
Week 13 - L 27-24 vs. Oak (5-11) (fourth loss in a row and we can't get jacked at home)
Week 14 - L 13-6 @ Clev. (5-11) (fifth loss in a row.....and it was against Cleveland!!)

Any one of those losses are excusable.....even two in a long season. But losing those 4 very winnable games? Cleveland, Oakland, and KC?

I'm not going to bash Tomlin for this and I give him full marks for the SB win, but I would like to see how he bounces back this year. I'm not saying that he can't do it, but I'd like to see him do it first.

flippy
07-14-2010, 10:48 AM

Interesting point. And I agree that Tomlin has brought a lot of good. But I'm a bit on the fence myself at this point and think it's fair at this point in his career.

I want and expect him to be the Chuck Noll or more of this generation.

Tomlin always says the tape doesn't lie. And he's gone from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows in his short tenure here so far.

Who is he as a head coach?

We know he's a great position coach and coordinator based on what he's done in the past.

But his job as a HC is different. And I'm waiting to see what he becomes.

I guess I'm on the fence because I don't think we've seen it all yet.

Who is Mike Tomlin?

I'm staying tuned to find out.

cruzer8
07-14-2010, 11:03 AM

Interesting point. And I agree that Tomlin has brought a lot of good. But I'm a bit on the fence myself at this point and think it's fair at this point in his career.

Tomlin always says the tape doesn't lie. And he's gone from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows in his short tenure here so far.

We know he's a great position coach and coordinator based on what he's done in the past.

Who is Mike Tomlin?

There aren't many coaches who will live up to that lofty expectation. Noll is one of the best of all time. Ever.

proudpittsburgher
07-14-2010, 11:52 AM

Who is Mike Tomlin?

There aren't many coaches who will live up to that lofty expectation. Noll is one of the best of all time. Ever.

And that's my problem with some of the fence sitters . . . it's almost impossible for any coach to come in and be successful with expectations as high as those. You had a coach come in and win a super bowl over the span of three seasons, lose a playoff game in his firstseason and come to within a win of another playoff berth the last year. The later of the three scenarios came ina season where we lost Troy Polamalu and Aaron Smith for pretty much the bulk of the season. I hate to break it to some, but winning the super bowl EVERY season isn't possible. A reasonable expectation out of a head cpach is to put th eteam in position to do it every season, and I think both Cowher and Tomlin fit that bill pretty well. Maybe that's what has gotten us so spoiled over the years.

phillyesq
07-14-2010, 12:18 PM

How Tomlin can be a good coach if he uses the 3-4 defense. :stirpot

In all seriousness, I'm on the fence with Tomlin, and I think it is completely justified. His first season went well, although, as I recall, he made some very questionable coaching decisions in the playoff game with the Jags. The SB win, obviously, was great. However, during the SB run, he didn't really have to deal with much adversity.

Last season was the first time that he was faced with adversity, and he looked like a deer in the headlights. He looked completely shell-shocked on the sidelines during a lot of the terrible losses over which he presided. There is plenty of blame to go around to everybody, including the players, but ultimately, the buck stops with the head coach. He unleashed hell on the fans, but failed to either motivate his team or implement adjustments necessary. The Steelers, based on opponents winning percentage, had one of the easiest schedules last year, and they simply wasted the opportunity.

I hope that Tomlin bounces back this year and proves me wrong, but he has done nothing to lead me to believe that he will do so. He has to deal with a lot of issues this year before training camp even starts, and he needs something other than a string of cliches to maneuver the team through this. I'd love nothing more than to eat crow, but I'm still on the fence about Tomlin, at best, and think that extending him was a mistake.

Oviedo
07-14-2010, 12:34 PM

How Tomlin can be a good coach if he uses the 3-4 defense. :stirpot

In all seriousness, I'm on the fence with Tomlin, and I think it is completely justified. His first season went well, although, as I recall, he made some very questionable coaching decisions in the playoff game with the Jags. The SB win, obviously, was great. However, during the SB run, he didn't really have to deal with much adversity.

Last season was the first time that he was faced with adversity, and he looked like a deer in the headlights. He looked completely shell-shocked on the sidelines during a lot of the terrible losses over which he presided. There is plenty of blame to go around to everybody, including the players, but ultimately, the buck stops with the head coach. He unleashed hell on the fans, but failed to either motivate his team or implement adjustments necessary. The Steelers, based on opponents winning percentage, had one of the easiest schedules last year, and they simply wasted the opportunity.

I hope that Tomlin bounces back this year and proves me wrong, but he has done nothing to lead me to believe that he will do so. He has to deal with a lot of issues this year before training camp even starts, and he needs something other than a string of cliches to maneuver the team through this. I'd love nothing more than to eat crow, but I'm still on the fence about Tomlin, at best, and think that extending him was a mistake.

Maybe he was dismayed that his Hall of Fame defensive coordinator who is the recognized genius of the 3-4 defense could not stop his defense from collapsing in 5 games.
:stirpot

Tomlin is a young coach and to expect that there is no learning curve is a little unreasoable. I remember during Cowher's first few years there were more than a few decisions that were questionable. I think the difference between Cowher and Tomlin is that Cowher found a scapgoat and fired them (not always getting a better solution) where Tomlin seems to work in house to try to fix things. I think Cowher was much more influenced by what he perceived the desires of the public to be where Tomlin seems to ignore that pressure. That is one thing I like about Tomlin.

Like or not like just provide internet chatter because the relaity is he has in the eyes of the owners earned the right to coach until 2014 and I'm glad.

flippy
07-14-2010, 12:57 PM

Who is Mike Tomlin?

And that's my problem with some of the fence sitters . . . it's almost impossible for any coach to come in and be successful with expectations as high as those. You had a coach come in and win a super bowl over the span of three seasons, lose a playoff game in his firstseason and come to within a win of another playoff berth the last year. The later of the three scenarios came ina season where we lost Troy Polamalu and Aaron Smith for pretty much the bulk of the season. I hate to break it to some, but winning the super bowl EVERY season isn't possible. A reasonable expectation out of a head cpach is to put th eteam in position to do it every season, and I think both Cowher and Tomlin fit that bill pretty well. Maybe that's what has gotten us so spoiled over the years.

With greater success comes greater expectations. That's life. And fortunately that's the plight of the Steelers fans. :wink

grotonsteel
07-14-2010, 07:46 PM

Who is Mike Tomlin?

If there was internet and message board then i am pretty sure some people would be calling out Emperor on message board. Steelers struggled in 80s under Noll.

steelz09
07-14-2010, 09:26 PM
I'm one of those "fence sitters"

I have mixed feelings about the extension

I guess I'm a troll :)

fezziwig
07-14-2010, 09:30 PM
I was thrilled when Nolls era ended because he just wouldn't change. Hand the ball off the first two plays and pass on the third down to hopefullly gain a first down. He became predictable and I thought that way of Cowher too at the end. In Cowhers defense, it might have just been the patricheats knowing his play signals.

Noll in my opinion knew talent too but the game seemed to grow without him. It's been a long time and I'm sure I do not recall it all correctly but, I do remember complaining about Noll his last three or so seasons.

I do remember Noll was asked by a reporter during Cowhers first season, ' do you think you would have this team doing so well ? " Noll red faced said, "no."

Cowher to me was a breath of fresh air or added life to the team with his more physical personality. Noll stood on the sidelines looking so formal or un-approachable.

i remember when Noll hired Walton he was asked why, Noll responded, " i always found it difficult to game plan against his offenses.'

My question is, " what offenses ? " We had no trouble against them and infact, the only time Harvey Clayton ever looked good was against the Jets. Harvey sucked so bad teams got tired of throwing his way. You could throw pass after pass on Harvey and continue to move the ball and score on him. Harvey stunk worse than anyone ever stunk at a position. Waltons offenses were so poor Harvey looked good enough to be signed by the Jets the very next season when we cut him.
harvey was the first player I heard called, " toast" or the term burn unit. lets not forget Rick Woods either. Thos e80 teams had no talent. In another interview Noll was asked, " possibly you could make trades to get higher draft picks or work a deal for different players ? " Noll answered back loudly, " who ? " Who do we have that is any good or worth anything to offer up as a trade ? "

I remember very well the Noll teams were not always so peachy.

Not all 80 teams were bad and I was very proud of our 89 team and how it started out terrible but really got tough by the end of the season. If the receiver caught that first down pass I think we would have made it to the next playoff game. The offensive line was jambing the ball down the broncos throat and Hoge was running all over them. I remmeber Hoge broke throught the line the first play and actually turned his head back because he couldn't believe he was running over them. Obviously we lost that game and the Browns went on to face the Broncos and got stomped. We gave more of a fight than the Browns gave them and the Broncos almost lost to us.

stlrz d
07-14-2010, 09:32 PM
We really should get with the times and be like other teams. We need to start getting a new coach every 2-3 years to appease the fence sitters.

Winning a SB in your 2nd season as HC in Pittsburgh just isn't good enough, dammit!

eniparadoxgma
07-14-2010, 10:32 PM

Can we get a ban here or what?!??! :x

fezziwig
07-14-2010, 10:40 PM
We really should get with the times and be like other teams. We need to start getting a new coach every 2-3 years to appease the fence sitters.

Winning a SB in your 2nd season as HC in Pittsburgh just isn't good enough, dammit!

i know, how spoiled our we that a coach only won a Super Bowl his second season. People forget Cowhers team tanked too after winning a Super Bowl. I think tomlin had a better team than the team Cowher had taken to the Super Bowl. i also don't believe cowher would have gotten us to our last Super Bowl and if he had, i doubt we would have won.
If Tomlin truly stinks up the field with bad teams his next three or four years and starts making choices like getting rid of key players then, I have a problem.

I do respect that Tomlin has tried to make the special teams better and he tried to get Mayhan to do a centers job but, his ego wasn't so big that he didn't correct that mistake.

As I said before, i don't think this will be a fair season to judge Tomlin with Ben being out at least 4 games, Colon gone, Smokeys gone and what ever.

Do you guys remember all the injuries Tomlins team had to overcome along with the toughest NFL schedule in 40 years ?
he is worth the new contract and some growing pains of all that has happened.

if I had to be stuck in a room with my choice of either Tomlin, cowher or Noll, I'd pick Tomlin.

fordfixer
07-14-2010, 11:18 PM

Can we get a ban here or what?!??! :x

I think we may have to go with the "or what"

SteelCrazy
07-17-2010, 04:54 PM
Tomlinson Given New Contract with Pittsburgh

NFL.com reports that despite missing the 2009 playoffs and rumors that he may lose his job, Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlinson was given a three-year extension.

Before the new contract, Tomlinson earned an average of $2.5 million per year for five years, but had one year remaining. The Steelers have not yet announced the terms of the new contract.

Tomlinson’s extension comes at a difficult time for the team, as its star Super Bowl MVP quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was suspended for the first six games of the season after being accused of sexual assault by a college student. The charge was later dismissed.

This was also one of the coach’s worst seasons as the head of the team, as the Steelers missed the 2009 playoffs despite starting the season 6-2. They finished with five straight losses by the end of the season. As a generally strong team, this was uncharacteristic for the franchise.

http://sportsrageous.com/news.php?readmore=2458
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure who this guy is, but it ends all the speculation about Tomlin........

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
07-17-2010, 05:07 PM
NFL.com reports that despite missing the 2009 playoffs and rumors that he may lose his job, Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlinson was given a three-year extension.

Forget this Tomlinson coach. I'm more interested in how Ladanian Tomlin does this year. :roll:

RuthlessBurgher
07-17-2010, 05:39 PM

Forget this Tomlinson coach. I'm more interested in how Ladanian Tomlin does this year. :roll:

Maybe it was written by Mr. Miyagi. Wax on, wax off, Tomlin-san.

Mike Tomlin looks more than Omar Epps than Will Smith's kid, though.

feltdizz
07-21-2010, 10:25 AM
I doubt Tomlin asked, begged or pleaded for Arians job.

He isn't that kind of guy. If anyone begged or asked for Arians to stay it would be the WR's, and QB's.

ANPSTEEL
07-23-2010, 03:00 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... r-a-third/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/23/steelers-extend-tomlin-only-two-years-with-an-option-for-a-third/)

OK- I have to do this- :stirpot :stirpot

Apparently the terms of Tomlin's extension were announced today.

The new contract goes through 2012, with an option 3rd year for 2013.

This is not a 3 year extension as previously indicated.

In fact, it could be looked at as a 1 year extension...

He was already under contract for 2010- with an option for 2011.

I think we all understand that there is a significant likelihood - of the 2011 season not happening.

So, Mike got a contract for 2012, and an option for 2013.

Before the piling on starts, let me be clear...

A. I don't dislike Mike Tomlin
B. I am not completely sold on him as a HC
C. I think an extension structured this way still creates an environment whereby the FO can/will evaluate his performance this season.

Looking at it this way:

figuring 2011 doesn't happen (and likely some language in the contract impacting pay) that means if the team decides to fire him- they are probably on the hook for only 1 season after this one... that being 2012.

RuthlessBurgher
07-23-2010, 03:14 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/23/steelers-extend-tomlin-only-two-years-with-an-option-for-a-third/

I think we all understand that there is a significant likelihood - of the 2011 season not happening.

C. I think an extension structured this way still creates an environment whereby the FO can/will evaluate his performance this season.

Looking at it this way:

figuring 2011 doesn't happen (and likely some language in the contract impacting pay) that means if the team decides to fire him- they are probably on the hook for only 1 season after this one... that being 2012.

And we all know that the world is going to end in 2012 anyway (bad John Cusack movie told me so), so the option year will be a moot point. :wink:

ANPSTEEL
07-23-2010, 03:22 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/23/steelers-extend-tomlin-only-two-years-with-an-option-for-a-third/

Looking at it this way:

And we all know that the world is going to end in 2012 anyway (bad John Cusack movie told me so), so the option year will be a moot point. :wink:

exactly!

I'm glad someone gets it... jeesh. :lol:

cruzer8
07-23-2010, 04:44 PM
I'll wager Tomlin is Steelers HC for at least a decade.