View Full Version : Source: LaMarr Woodley likely to be free agent

hawaiiansteel
07-12-2010, 04:14 PM
Updated: July 12, 2010, 3:55 PM ET

Source: Woodley likely to be free agent

By James Walker
ESPN.com

http://pittsburgh-blitz.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/lamarr-woodley.jpg

Barring an unforeseen change of circumstances, a Pro Bowl linebacker could hit the free-agent market next season.

The Pittsburgh Steelers have decided not to give outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley a contract extension before the start of the 2010 season, a source told ESPN.com on Monday. Woodley is in the final year of his rookie deal and will make $550,000 this season, making him one of the NFL's best bargains.

It's extremely rare that the Steelers negotiate with players during the season, which means Woodley would be set to become a free agent next March. The source added that it's highly unlikely the Steelers would change their stance on Woodley between now and September. Pittsburgh is primarily focused on filling its right tackle position and could spend money there following the season-ending Achilles injury to Willie Colon.

Woodley is facing the same dilemma as a lot of NFL players seeking extensions this offseason. New rules during the uncapped year have made things complicated. The league's 30 percent rule, in particular, is the biggest hurdle.

By rule, Woodley could only make a maximum salary of $598,000 in 2010, which is a 30 percent increase over last season. The subsequent salaries could only go up 30 percent for the life of the contract. That means a substantial bulk of an extension would be put into bonuses, which the Steelers are not interested in at this time.

A one-year franchise tag for Woodley also is a possibility, although there are no guarantees that the use of a franchise tag will be included in the new Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Woodley, 25, has been one of the league's most dominant outside linebackers during his first two years as a starter. He has combined for 25 sacks in that span and made his first Pro Bowl last season.

James Walker covers the AFC North for ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5374264

williar
07-12-2010, 04:25 PM
I can't imagine that being a good thing....If Woodley has another probowl year they're just going to let him walk. Seems like this regime is content on replacing stars with starters.

RuthlessBurgher
07-12-2010, 04:36 PM
With the 30% rule in effect right now, we'd have to give Woodley $50-$60 signing bonus on a market value deal to counteract the limitations in how much he low base salary could increase from year to year. This article makes it sound like the Steelers are not interested in re-signing him, which couldn't be further from the truth. They will just work on re-signing him once there is some normalcy to how contracts can be structured, instead of having to deal with all the ridiculous limitations of trying to forge a long-term second contract during this dubious Final League Year. If there is still a franchise/transition tag in the new CBA, then we would certainly use that on him before allowing him to test the free agent waters unfettered.

papillon
07-12-2010, 04:41 PM
There is absolutely no bloody way the Steelers let Woodley play for another team. They simply don't want to try and manipulate something that can't be defined (free agency after this year). He'll be a Steeler; this article is ridiculous in its tone, it sounds as if the Steelers are willing to let him walk, they aren't. Everyone can come in off the ledge now, it's okay.

Pappy

Crash
07-12-2010, 04:50 PM
So they'll tag him.

BFD.

SteelHoss
07-12-2010, 04:59 PM
I like Walker's reporting, however, my take on this report is its just fodder through this dry spell of no Steeler news. Thankfully its not negative Ben news or anything else thats alarmingly negative. We already know Woodley's situation with the 30% rule which IMO is ridiculous. I'm thinking right now the Steelers will try to find a way to Make #56 happy when the time comes. Then again who knows. Rod Woodson was allowed to walk. Dan R has apologised for that bungle though. The important lessons here might be we survived that mistake...but can we survive another? :stirpot

Crash
07-12-2010, 05:00 PM
Rod was also too blame when he turned down $3 mil a year BEFORE he and his bum knee played a down in 1996.

SidSmythe
07-12-2010, 06:17 PM
Worldis was drafted so high for a reason. If he's legit, then the Steelers won't have to pay Woodley. If he's not, then the Steelers will have to resign him

NW Steeler
07-12-2010, 07:00 PM
Worldis was drafted so high for a reason. If he's legit, then the Steelers won't have to pay Woodley. If he's not, then the Steelers will have to resign him

I would think that Worilds was drafted with the hope he would replace Harrison at some point, not Wood. I can't see any scenario that the Steelers allow him to just walk out the door.

RuthlessBurgher
07-12-2010, 07:05 PM

I would think that Worilds was drafted with the hope he would replace Harrison at some point, not Wood. I can't see any scenario that the Steelers allow him to just walk out the door.

Just like Hood was drafted and will have several seasons to mature in the system as a valuable backup before ultimately taking over for Aaron Smith (not the younger Brett Keisel), Worilds will have several seasons to mature in the system as a valuable backup before ultimately taking over for Harrison (not the younger LaMarr Woodley).

Prowler
07-12-2010, 07:32 PM
As far as I'm concerned Woodley is crap. I'd rather have a guy on my team with less talent than Woodley who shows up every single day and puts forth an effort. I was disgusted by Woodley's play last season, flopping around on the ground like a Jason Gildon reincarnation. Show me one time last season that Lamarr got a sack when he was not unblocked. Please show me because I don't believe that footage exist anywhere in our universe.

Flasteel
07-12-2010, 09:09 PM
As far as I'm concerned Woodley is crap. I'd rather have a guy on my team with less talent than Woodley who shows up every single day and puts forth an effort. I was disgusted by Woodley's play last season, flopping around on the ground like a Jason Gildon reincarnation. Show me one time last season that Lamarr got a sack when he was not unblocked. Please show me because I don't believe that footage exist anywhere in our universe.

Are you serious?

Disgusted?

frankthetank1
07-12-2010, 09:15 PM

wow really? most of his sacks come on the bull rush where he knocks the RT back 5 yards and is able to get to the qb. woodley is only 25 and he is one of the best OLBs in the nfl. if the steelers let wood go it would be the biggest mistake this franchise has ever made. maybe not as bad as not drafting marino but next to that. your summary of woodley's performance last season is incredibly inaccurate.

ter1230_4
07-12-2010, 09:17 PM
I don't think that Woodley is going anywhere. If this was a normal year, I have no doubt that the Steelers would have signed him to a 5 year extension with at least $25 million of guaranteed money. The problem is the 30% rule as applied to a guy that got drafted in the middle of the 2nd round. The only way that the Steelers could sign him now is to do a two year deal with a huge signing bonus (like $20 million). Then two years from now they would have to do another deal and pay another big upfront bonus. The Steelers have no intention of giving anyone who is not a franchise QB $45 million (or more) in guaranteed money in a period of 2 years. They will pay him what he is worth when the labor situation gets resolved. If Lamar wants to know what it's like to play with a team other than the Steelers, he can go ask Randall El, or Larry Foote, or Byron Leftwich, who are three guys that discovered the hard way what life is like on the other side.

frankthetank1
07-12-2010, 10:00 PM
I don't think that Woodley is going anywhere. If this was a normal year, I have no doubt that the Steelers would have signed him to a 5 year extension with at least $25 million of guaranteed money. The problem is the 30% rule as applied to a guy that got drafted in the middle of the 2nd round. The only way that the Steelers could sign him now is to do a two year deal with a huge signing bonus (like $20 million). Then two years from now they would have to do another deal and pay another big upfront bonus. The Steelers have no intention of giving anyone who is not a franchise QB $45 million (or more) in guaranteed money in a period of 2 years. They will pay him what he is worth when the labor situation gets resolved. If Lamar wants to know what it's like to play with a team other than the Steelers, he can go ask Randall El, or Larry Foote, or Byron Leftwich, who are three guys that discovered the hard way what life is like on the other side.

i really hope you are right about woodley not going anywhere. imo the steelers should give him a huge signing bonus if thats what it takes. unfortunately i dont think players value what kind of franchise they play for or tradition, winning, etc as much as they value how much money they make. playing for another team worked out ok for plax until he busted a cap into his thigh. the 30% rule is bullshi$ and i would think it would make it hard for the jets to keep revis sense he only makes a mill and a half a year under his current contract. i also dont think drafting worildis is any indication about the re-signing of woodley. harrison is 32 or so i would think if any thing the steelers would be replacing him before woodley who is a lot younger. at this point i would be happier to part ways with troy than i would woodley. i love troy but he is close to 30 and injury prone. woodley hasnt even peaked yet and he has already played lights out for the last few seasons.

stlrz d
07-12-2010, 10:26 PM
i love troy but he is close to 30 and injury prone.

One fluke injury on ST does not make Troy injury prone. I'm too lazy to look right now but I believe he's played in over 90 of a possible 112 regular season games...or something like that.

As for Woodley, he's not going anywhere. This is a :stirpot article and nothing more.

Here's a quote from the man himself from just a few weeks ago:

"I can't get better sitting at home, not being with my teammates while the new plays are being installed. I feel like I'm selling myself short if I'm not here," said Woodley, who played in his first Pro Bowl last season. "Everybody's different. I'd rather be at practice and going through the process, not sitting back and holding out.

"My contract will get done, one way or the other, I feel. That's not under my control. The thing I can control is being out here with my teammates, getting ready for this year and trying to win a Super Bowl."

PS - prowler is a troll. Ignore.

NJ-STEELER
07-13-2010, 12:28 AM
good on Lamaar not letting his contact negotiations interfere with camp

frankthetank1
07-13-2010, 07:47 AM

One fluke injury on ST does not make Troy injury prone. I'm too lazy to look right now but I believe he's played in over 90 of a possible 112 regular season games...or something like that.

As for Woodley, he's not going anywhere. This is a :stirpot article and nothing more.

"I can't get better sitting at home, not being with my teammates while the new plays are being installed. I feel like I'm selling myself short if I'm not here," said Woodley, who played in his first Pro Bowl last season. "Everybody's different. I'd rather be at practice and going through the process, not sitting back and holding out.

"My contract will get done, one way or the other, I feel. That's not under my control. The thing I can control is being out here with my teammates, getting ready for this year and trying to win a Super Bowl."

overall troy hasnt missed too many games but i would still consider him injury prone. he missed significant time in at least 3 seasons as a steeler. he isnta terry glenn who is always hurt but i would still say he is more prone to injury than most.

that is a great quote and is exactly what you would hope from a player going into his last year of contract. thats why i love woodley so much. i hope his contract gets done before the season starts.

that makes sense, i was wondering how anyone in their right mind could not like woodley. i will ignore for now on

Oviedo
07-13-2010, 08:04 AM

overall troy hasnt missed too many games but i would still consider him injury prone. he missed significant time in at least 3 seasons as a steeler. he isnta terry glenn who is always hurt but i would still say he is more prone to injury than most.

that is a great quote and is exactly what you would hope from a player going into his last year of contract. thats why i love woodley so much. i hope his contract gets done before the season starts.

that makes sense, i was wondering how anyone in their right mind could not like woodley. i will ignore for now on

I have to wonder what the definition of injury prone is if Troy doesn't fit that when Troy has only played a full 16 regular season games once in in the past 4 years (2008). Troy has missed 19 of the past 64 regular season games. That is almost 30%. To me that indicates a player with injury issues.

Everyone is right that the past doesn't guarantee the future but it sure does provide trends that you have to be aware of and if you were smart you would try to make plans to mitigate either by what you have that player do or who you have ready to step in.

stlrz d
07-13-2010, 08:07 AM

What do you consider "significant"?

http://www.nfl.com/players/troypolamalu ... =POL041872 (http://www.nfl.com/players/troypolamalu/profile?id=POL041872)

stlrz d
07-13-2010, 08:12 AM

I have to wonder what the definition of injury prone is if Troy doesn't fit that when Troy has only played a full 16 regular season games once in in the past 4 years (2008). Troy has missed 19 of the past 64 regular season games. That is almost 30%. To me that indicates a player with injury issues.

Everyone is right that the past doesn't guarantee the future but it sure does provide trends that you have to be aware of and if you were smart you would try to make plans to mitigate either by what you have that player do or who you have ready to step in.

ELEVEN games that he missed were just this past season due to a FLUKE injury. That is not injury prone.

If you were in an auto accident that was not your fault in any way, shape or form would it be fair to judge you based on that? Your insurance company might, but would it be fair for friends and family to say you are accident prone when it wasn't your fault?

Had it not been for that FLUKE injury last season he very well have played the entire season in 2009. There's no telling because unfortunately for all of us he was hit with a FLUKE injury.

(Hopefully that word FLUKE will finally sink in for some folks around here)

frankthetank1
07-13-2010, 08:17 AM
[quote=frankthetank1]i love troy but he is close to 30 and injury prone.

ELEVEN games that he missed were just this past season due to a FLUKE injury. That is not injury prone.

If you were in an auto accident that was not your fault in any way, shape or form would it be fair to judge you based on that? Your insurance company might, but would it be fair for friends and family to say you are accident prone when it wasn't your fault?

Had it not been for that FLUKE injury last season he very well have played the entire season in 2009. There's no telling because unfortunately for all of us he was hit with a FLUKE injury.

(Hopefully that word FLUKE will finally sink in for some folks around here)[/quote:wccyomcz]

i wasnt just talking about last season. he missed substantial time in 2006 and 2007 as well as last season. troy is also pretty close to 30 so that is not good either. i guess injury prone is a bad word to describe troy. his style of play definetly increases the risk of injury, but that same style of play is what makes him so damn good.

RuthlessBurgher
07-13-2010, 10:04 AM

(Hopefully that word FLUKE will finally sink in for some folks around here)[/quote:q1o75pgj]

http://www.pics.com/~donk/ursula/fluke.gif

Mister Pittsburgh
07-13-2010, 11:50 AM
woodley better not be going anywhere. they could give him roster bonuses and the like...easy to reach incentive bonuses.

hawaiiansteel
07-15-2010, 02:33 AM
LaMarr Woodley expected to remain with Pittsburgh Steelers, despite contract impasse

7/13/2010

According to the Saginaw News, LaMarr Woodley is in the final year of his contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers and, according to ESPN, the Steelers will not give Woodley a contract extension prior to the 2010 season.

But that doesn't mean the Steelers won't sign Woodley to a new contract. Once the new collective bargaining agreement is in place, the Steelers are expected to sign Woodley to a multi-year contract.

Steelersdepot.com: Woodley and his agent, Doug Hendrickson of Octagon Football, know how the Steelers work and even Woodley himself has said he will not pout or hold out this year. I have a feeling he has a wink and or a hand shake that he will get his. The Steelers will also likely have some sort of franchise tag they can use as well in a new CBA when the new fiscal year starts.

http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescri...e/Default.aspx

http://5goldenrings.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/si-cover-122208.jpg

papillon
07-15-2010, 07:14 AM

(Hopefully that word FLUKE will finally sink in for some folks around here)[/quote:23tacis0]

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk205/4papillon7/whalefluke.jpg

Pappy

stlrz d
07-15-2010, 08:08 AM
¿Qué?

Shoe
07-16-2010, 12:55 AM

I was one who pegged Woodley for the longest time as a common man, so to speak. I just thought he'd be a solid player, but nothing like a playmaker. But he has proven me wrong. The guy shows up consistently.

NorthCoast
07-16-2010, 08:16 AM

Everyone knows Troy gets injured due to his style of play. If he is not aggressive in going after the ball on special teams, he doesn't miss 11 games last season. If he didn't tackle like a heat-seeking missile he doesn't injure his shoulder 2 (3?) years ago. His career at the top of his game might not last him into his mid-30s like some lesser players, but he surely has a few more special plays left in him.

Oviedo
07-16-2010, 08:22 AM
No one doubts Troy's unique abilities. I just think there is a desire to see those abilities on the field and not in a sweatsuit.

flippy
07-16-2010, 09:05 AM
No one doubts Troy's unique abilities. I just think there is a desire to see those abilities on the field and not in a sweatsuit.

Exactly and a move to FS could prolong his career.

Troy is my favorite player to watch live. He defends more grass than any player I've ever seen. And it's something you can't completely appreciate watching on tv. I hope I can get to a game this season and if I do, Troy better be playing, darnit.

cruzer8
07-16-2010, 10:26 AM

Troy is my favorite player to watch live. He defends more grass than any player I've ever seen. And it's something you can't completely appreciate watching on tv. I hope I can get to a game this season and if I do, Troy better be playing, darnit.

That's why he needs to stay at SS. He can't do that at FS.

I'll have a hearty laugh when Troy plays the full season and doesn't incur any freak injuries like last season.

ANPSTEEL
07-16-2010, 11:33 AM

That's why he needs to stay at SS. He can't do that at FS.

I'll have a hearty laugh when Troy plays the full season and doesn't incur any freak injuries like last season.

I'm going to suggest to you & D - that there really is no such thing as a freak injury in the NFL. The likelihood of suffering a major injury during your time in the league is effectively 100%.

So, Troy getting his leg squished like a cafeteria chair at a weight watchers convention is no real surprise. Or at least, shouldn't be. To anyone.

The only

http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af314/anpmtg/cincichamps.jpg

injury in the NFL that I can think of- is

Orlando Brown getting Bean Bagged by the ref. :shock:

Otherwise- anything that happens between the whistles is part of the game. Guys get injured all the time, and when you throw your body around in a reckless, albeit, extraordinary manner - as Troy does- your likelihood of suffering an injury is very high.

hawaiiansteel
07-18-2010, 08:40 PM
ESPN: Woodley Going to be Around for a Long Time in Pittsburgh

Posted by Matt Loede on July 18th, 2010

There was talk about LaMarr Woodley being gone for sometime, but now that has shifted and ESPN has a report that says those in Pittsburgh says he will be around for sometime to come:

Pittsburgh insiders insisted this week that LaMarr Woodley, who had 13 1/2 sacks in 2009, will be in the black and gold for a long time. Even if it means eventually using a franchise tag, which Pittsburgh historically has been loathe to do. Once the labor situation is cleared up, the Steelers will approach Woodley about an add-on. As things stand, he is under contract through 2010, and unless unrestricted free-agency is reduced to fewer than five seasons, he is essentially tied to the team for ‘11 as well. Only three 3-4 outside linebackers — DeMarcus Ware of Dallas (31), Arizona’s Joey Porter (26 1/2) and Steelers teammate James Harrison (26) — have more sacks than Woodley (25) the past two seasons.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/artic ... gh/2902820 (http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/ESPN_Woodley_Going_to_be_Around_for_a_Long_Time_in _Pittsburgh/2902820)

aggiebones
07-19-2010, 12:47 PM
He ain't goin nowhere...most likely.

Minimum 2 more years anyway. And the Steelers know he is due a huge contract when the CBA is done. And he knows the Steelers are handcuffed til then.

hawaiiansteel
07-20-2010, 11:32 PM
Steelers Team Report...signing Woodley still a priority?

Steelers Team Report
Yahoo! Sports

Players To Watch In Training Camp

• Wide receiver Mike Wallace: He contributed 39 receptions and a league-best 19.4-yard average per catch as a rookie after the Steelers drafted him on the third round in 2009. That production was a bonus because the Steelers were not counting on him to deliver as often in his first season. Now they are counting on that and so much more. With the trade of Santonio Holmes to the New York Jets, Wallace moves into the starting split end job and he will be asked to run more than mostly “go” routes as he was last season.

• Guard Maurkice Pouncey: It’s possible he could become the team’s first rookie regular starter since tight end Heath Miller in 2005 and the first on the offensive line since Kendall Simmons in 2002. Pouncey, deemed the future center by the Steelers, is competing at right guard with holdover Trai Essex and second-year player Ramon Foster. However, with the season-ending Achilles injury to starting right tackle Willie Colon, Essex or Foster could slide to right tackle.

• Cornerback Bryant McFadden: He was reacquired in a draft-day trade with Arizona to help rescue them at cornerback. McFadden started for the Steelers at left cornerback in 2007 and 2008 but shared the position with William Gay in 2008. He left as a free agent and Gay claimed the position for himself but performed poorly there last season. McFadden was re-instated as the starting left cornerback in the spring and Gay will play the nickel.

Hot seat: James Farrior slipped badly last season at inside linebacker, where he has started for the Steelers since he joined them in 2002 and has made two Pro Bowls, most recently in 2008. The defensive captain has been the team’s best unrestricted free agent signing ever but at 35 years old, the end is near; he signed a new contract in 2008 that carries through 2012. Pittsburgh re-signed inside linebacker Larry Foote to large degree because of Farrior’s 2009 season and he will compete to replace him one year after he left as a free agent to sign with Detroit.

The offseason for the Pittsburgh Steelers has proven to be more dangerous than anything that occurs in the fall. Two more Steelers were knocked out with injuries, joining a growing list.

Willie Colon, considered by Steelers coaches to be one of the best right tackles in the league, had surgery Wednesday to repair a torn Achilles tendon that was injured during agility training. Rookie offensive tackle Chris Scott, a fifth-round draft choice from Tennessee, had surgery Wednesday to repair a broken foot, injured while he was working out at his alma mater.

Colon will go on injured reserve for the 2010 season while Scott could be placed on the PUP list because he should heal by October.

Colon is the second player to be lost for the season with a torn Achilles. Wide receiver Limas Sweed, a second-round draft choice in 2008, went on injured reserve after his injury on the final day of minicamp May 2.

The injuries add to the team’s offseason losses on offense that includes a 4-6 suspension of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to start the season. The Steelers virtually gave away their top receiver, Santonio Holmes, in a trade to the New York Jets for a fifth-round draft choice. Coincidentally that pick, No. 151, is the one the Steelers used to draft Chris Scott.

And they also lost their top running back from 2005 through 2008 when they did not try to re-sign Willie Parker, who signed with Washington as an unrestricted free agent.

The question they now face is how to replace Colon at right tackle, where he has started the past three seasons. Max Starks, supplanted by Colon in 2007 after starting at right tackle the previous two seasons, has since become their starting left tackle. They took a look at Flozell Adams this week but are not likely to sign him. One player they signed as a UFA that took little notice at the time could move into the job, Jonathan Scott, a four-year veteran who played in Buffalo where he was coached by new Steelers line coach, Sean Kugler. Scott is 6-6, 318.

Other candidates are Trai Essex, who began his career as a tackle but became their starting right guard last season; Ramon Foster, an undrafted rookie in 2009 who played tackle at Tennessee but mostly guard with the Steelers, and Tony Hills, who has been largely a disappointment since the Steelers drafted him on the fourth round in 2008.

There also have been suggestions that they could move rookie Maurkice Pouncey, their No. 1 draft pick, to right tackle this season, but that is unlikely. Pouncey is their center of the future and they used him primarily at right guard this spring with the eye that he can play that position for one year before sliding over to center.

Colon was considered a good run-blocker but with his short arms not a great pass protector. He flourished when the new coaching staff arrived in 2007. That staff took a dim view of Starks and promoted Colon in his place.

The Steelers’ offensive line has not been a good one over the past two seasons, even though the team won a Super Bowl two years ago. Their quarterback gets sacked way too often (Roethlisberger was dumped 50 times last season) and their running game has faltered, slipping to No. 19 last season. Not all of that is the line’s fault, but none also is a Pro Bowl candidate.

NOTES, QUOTES

• Head coach Mike Tomlin has signed a three-year contract extension that goes through 2014, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Tomlin earned an average of $2.5 million annually on his first contract of five years.

• The Steelers have not signed another offensive lineman since the season-ending Achilles injury to starting right tackle Willie Colon. They had Flozell Adams in for a look but apparently will go with one of their own at right tackle.

• OLB LaMarr Woodley remains the Steelers’ “No. 1 priority” to re-sign, according to NFL Network’s Jason La Canfora, disputing an ESPN report.

ESPN reported on Monday that Woodley was not expected to be offered an extension before the start of the season. Woodley is slated to earn $550,000 in 2010 in the final year of his rookie contract, and a source told James Walker that the Steelers have decided not to offer him an extension before the start of the season. Woodley has 25 sacks during his first two years as a starter.

• Steelers president Art Rooney received the Pittsburgh Area Jewish Committee’s Community Impact Award “for his professional and philanthropic contributions over the years.”

• QB Charlie Batch, the team’s player rep to the NFLPA, believes the owners will lock the players out in March if there is no CBA extension. He said as much last summer, too.

“Nothing has changed. We’re still there,” Batch said. “The players continue to hear nothing different than what I’ve been relaying over the last year and that’s that the players anticipated a lockout.”

• The Steelers report to training camp at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, Pa., July 30.

Quote To Note: “Well it wasn’t the field-goal block team that got my leg injured it was me missing picking up the fumble.”—S Troy Polamalu, who sprained his knee in the ’09 season opener, on whether he will continue to play on special teams.

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

Medical Watch: DE Nick Eason missed the final two weeks of OTA practices after having an appendectomy. He should be ready for training camp.

• OT Chris Scott had surgery Wednesday on a foot he injured while training last week and is expected to miss three months.

That would put him out until at least October.

RuthlessBurgher
07-21-2010, 09:29 AM
The Steelers virtually gave away their top receiver, Santonio Holmes, in a trade to the New York Jets for a fifth-round draft choice. Coincidentally that pick, No. 151, is the one the Steelers used to draft Chris Scott.

No. Pick 151 was our own pick. We got pick 155 from the Jets for Santonio. We traded that pick to Arizona (they used it to take QB John Skelton) for Bryant McFadden and a 6th round pick (that we used to take Antonio Brown).

hawaiiansteel
07-23-2010, 03:15 AM
signing Woodley to a new contract just became a little harder...

Broncos lock up Dumervil at 6 years, $61.5M

Broncos agreed to terms with OLB Elvis Dumervil on a contract extension. Per ESPN's John Clayton, the five-year extension brings the total package to six years and $61.5 million with $43.156 million guaranteed.

The deal is nearly identical to the one signed by Terrell Suggs last season. Locking up Dumervil is an important signing for the franchise. Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall were rewarded for their petulance with lucrative new deals in other cities while Dumervil spoke softly and carried a big stick on the field. One of the few Mike Shanahan leftovers still thriving under Josh McDaniels, the 2009 NFL sack leader is the cornerstone around which the Broncos will build their defense.

http://www.rotoworld.com

fezziwig
07-23-2010, 03:51 PM
I'm hearing now on the radio that Woodley is very upset with the Steelers. Is this just rumors or did Woodley come out and talk openly ?

ANPSTEEL
07-23-2010, 04:01 PM
well, here is an article posted on bleacher report-

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4239 ... -top-value (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/423940-lamarr-woodley-vs-james-harrison-for-steelers-top-value)

It puts Woodley's situation into perspective.

Clearly, he has a signed contract- which he agreed to, but I'm sure we can all agree that he has outperformed that contract.

In the NFL, if you are injured or underperform- that contract can mean absolutely nothing from the owner's perspective- so- why should the player feel any differently when viewing it from their angle??

Also, it cant help that other players in a similar situation are getting financial rewards from their teams.

Lamarr Woodley vs. James Harrison for Pittsburgh Steelers Top Value
By
Jeremy Beckett
(Analyst) on July 23, 2010

404 reads

9 comments

0 likes
MIAMI - JANUARY 03: Linebacker LaMarr Woodley #56 of the Pittsburgh Steelers tries to get into the backfield after running over running back Ricky Williams #34 of the Miami Dolphins at Land Shark Stadium on January 3, 2010 in Miami, Florida. (Photo by Doug Benc/Getty Images) Doug Benc/Getty Images
Just how bad is Woodley getting screwed ?
Bad Very Bad Very very bad Is this legal? Submit Vote vote to see results

How many times do we read about players saying they aren't getting paid fairly? If your'e like me, you will usually dismiss it in the first few sentences and say something like, "Man, how much does that guy need to play football?" And then go on about you business.

In researching player pay for linebackers for an article about the Shawne Merriman holdout, I ran across some very interesting numbers out of Pittsburgh in that department.

I checked a few other sources and they all match up. I won't waste your time, and cut right to the chase. Here's the linebacker total salary in Pittsburgh.

James Farrior 2009 total salary $2,979,680
James Harrison 2009 total salary $13,257,280
Lamarr Woodley 2009 total salary $466,240

Farrior's salary puts him just above the average for his position by NFL standards. This is the perfect measuring stick on what fair compensation for a decent linebacker should be in the NFL.

This part makes sense. Where its baffling to me is why Harrison makes 28 times more than Woodley. Is he really that much better?

Imagine running a construction company and justifying paying one worker $9 an hour, while another guy doing the same job receives $252 dollars per hour. This is exactly what's happening to Woodley on a much grander scale.

No, I'm not Woodley's agent; if I were, I'd be expected to be fired a long time ago.

Interested at this point, I put my Merriman article on the backburner and opened up stats on each player, in any hope to enlighten or shed some kind of justice on why there would be such a lopsided pay scale, and what I found was this.

Harrison: Age 32, 6'0" 242 lbs, undrafted
Woodley: Age 25, 6'2" 265 lbs, 2ND round (2007)

Tackles FF Sacks
Harrison 79 5 10
Woodley 62 1 13.5

I'd give the edge here to Harrison, albeit a very slight edge. But clearly, the value goes to Woodley.

A Harrison tackle cost the Steelers organization last year $169,079, while a Woodley tackle cost the Steelers $7,520.

Here's something for Steelers fans to ponder: The Steelers organization, as reported by ESPN news, will not seek out a new deal with Woodley next season, making him an unrestricted free agent in March 2011.

ESPN also called Woodley the NFL's best bargain at the linebacker position and one of the most promising young players at the position.

In accordance with the 2011 collective bargaining agreement, Woodley would make a maximum $598,000 in conjunction with a 30 percent maximum raise allotment.

I don't know about you, but it seems to me, I'd do anything possible to keep a 25-year-old linebacker who has had 25 sacks in his first to seasons to stick around. Pittsburgh refuses to grant him a contract extension to this point.

If lost to free agency, Woodley would be a prime candidate for a franchise tag in many organizations. Although he wouldn't make nearly what Harrison makes, he would see easily $6 million.

As for the Steelers, this just makes terrible business sense. Unless, of course, Harrison records 540 tackles with 70 sacks in 2010, and sheds four years off his age. Oh well, back to my Merriman article.

As a fan of the Chargers, I know all about farming out talent to the rest of the league, but I have never seen a value like Woodley get thrown out his third season. I hope for sake of the Steelers fans, they figure something out soon.

ANPSTEEL
07-23-2010, 04:09 PM
oh boy, this isn't gonna help-

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/1366 ... ines;other (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/13662247/broncos-dumervil-reach-agreement-on-extension?tag=headlines;other)

Looks like Dumervil was just extended....

look at those numbers... I think keeping Woodley just got a lot more difficult.

Dumervil's deal was worth $61 million over six seasons with between $41 million and $43 million guaranteed.

ANPSTEEL
07-23-2010, 04:15 PM

Broncos agreed to terms with OLB Elvis Dumervil on a contract extension. Per ESPN's John Clayton, the five-year extension brings the total package to six years and $61.5 million with $43.156 million guaranteed.

The deal is nearly identical to the one signed by Terrell Suggs last season. Locking up Dumervil is an important signing for the franchise. Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall were rewarded for their petulance with lucrative new deals in other cities while Dumervil spoke softly and carried a big stick on the field. One of the few Mike Shanahan leftovers still thriving under Josh McDaniels, the 2009 NFL sack leader is the cornerstone around which the Broncos will build their defense.

you beat me to it.

that is going to be a problem.

ter1230_4
07-23-2010, 04:43 PM

you beat me to it.

I don't consider the amount of Dumervil's contract to be a problem. The fact is that Woodley has earned a contract like that. The problem, which is also discussed in depth in another recent thread, is that because of the 30% rule in this uncapped year it is absolutely and completely impossible for the Steelers to sign Woodley to that contract. And that understandably frustrates Woodley. But when all is said and done, he is likely to remain a Steeler for many years to come.

cruzer8
07-23-2010, 04:52 PM

you beat me to it.

I don't consider the amount of Dumervil's contract to be a problem. The fact is that Woodley has earned a contract like that. The problem, which is also discussed in depth in another recent thread, is that because of the 30% rule in this uncapped year it is absolutely and completely impossible for the Steelers to sign Woodley to that contract. And that understandably frustrates Woodley. But when all is said and done, he is likely to remain a Steeler for many years to come.

Agreed.

NJ-STEELER
07-23-2010, 05:40 PM
so the broncos got a deal done with the 30% rule, but we cant??

RuthlessBurgher
07-24-2010, 12:54 PM

In order to do that contract, the Broncos had to give Elvis $43.156 million guaranteed on his 6 year, $61.5 million deal. That bonus is ludicrous (for comparison's sake, a year ago, we gave James Harrison $20 million guaranteed on his 6 year, $51.175 million deal...and even if you look at Ben Roethlisberger's 8 year, $102 million franchise QB deal, only $33.2 million of that is guaranteed).

I have no problem with the overall terms of the deal (Woodley's new contract will likely average around $10 million per season like Dumervil...I accept that). But in terms of guaranteed money, the team will likely be willing to surpass the Harrison deal, but won't eclipse the Roethlisberger deal...that is why they are not able to do this now. A long term deal for Woodley under these 30% restrictions would likely require $45-50 million in guarantees. That's Peyton Manning money.

So we'll wait until the CBA gets worked out and then work out a long term extension. I'd imagine we'll throw him a bone after this ordeal, and consider giving him a long term deal in which possibly half of the total value is guaranteed when all is said and done. I'd say a rough estimate could be something in the neighborhood of 5 years, $50 million with $25 million guaranteed. Something along those lines next year.

ter1230_4
07-24-2010, 05:31 PM

If the Steelers did a $61 million deal with Woodley today, they'd have to guarantee about $57 million of it. I think we all know it's not going to happen.

NJ-STEELER
07-24-2010, 06:25 PM
i think wood would accept a deal similiar to harrisons except maybe a longer term

i cant see him holding out for much more then that, especially having to go in and face harrison each day

RuthlessBurgher
07-24-2010, 07:27 PM
i think wood would accept a deal similiar to harrisons except maybe a longer term

i cant see him holding out for much more then that, especially having to go in and face harrison each day

The point is that we can't offer him Harrison's deal right now because of the 30% rule. He'd have to get at least twice as much guaranteed money than Deebo got for the contract to be legit. That is why they are waiting for the CBA to get done before crafting a new deal for Woodley.

NJ-STEELER
07-25-2010, 03:44 AM
the first 2 years of debo's deal his base salaries were 800K & 750K where his cap hit was just under $6M per

and at the time of his contract it was considered to be more of a 3 yr deal worth about 22 million. after that it wont cost the team much in cap penalties if he's cut in the last 3 years. more then likely the last 2 years will never be seen

they can confine to the rules and offer something like this....

signing bonus 12M (debo's was 10M)

base salaries of appox 650k, 850k, 1.1K, 1.4

and add in similiar roster bonuses to harrison's contract (or a little higher if they're able to. debo's 1st 2 years was 2.5 and 2.8 then 900K..we can go higher in wood's 3rd yr roster bonus)

thats around a 4 yr $24/25M deal and a similair cap hit to harrison's

http://www.macsfootballblog.com/2009/05 ... tails.html (http://www.macsfootballblog.com/2009/05/james-harrison-contract-details.html)

stlrz d
07-25-2010, 09:29 AM
the first 2 years of debo's deal his base salaries were 800K & 750K where his cap hit was just under $6M per

and at the time of his contract it was considered to be more of a 3 yr deal worth about 22 million. after that it wont cost the team much in cap penalties if he's cut in the last 3 years. more then likely the last 2 years will never be seen

and add in similiar roster bonuses to harrison's contract (or a little higher if they're able to. debo's 1st 2 years was 2.5 and 2.8 then 900K..we can go higher in wood's 3rd yr roster bonus)

http://www.macsfootballblog.com/2009/05 ... tails.html (http://www.macsfootballblog.com/2009/05/james-harrison-contract-details.html)

While that's entirely possible I'm thinking the Steelers are going to offer him more guaranteed money (higher base salary) once the dust has settled around the CBA.

NJ-STEELER
07-25-2010, 04:09 PM
[quote="NJ-STEELER":1pbftcr6]the first 2 years of debo's deal his base salaries were 800K & 750K where his cap hit was just under $6M per

While that's entirely possible I'm thinking the Steelers are going to offer him more guaranteed money (higher base salary) once the dust has settled around the CBA.[/quote:1pbftcr6]

i agree that they will if it gets to that.

i'm getting nervous that when the dust settles, he's gonna remember he had to play out this season with no certainty in his future and he is gonna be playing for someone else

ter1230_4
07-25-2010, 04:28 PM

There's only one problem with that deal -- Woodley would never accept it. He expects a deal in the area of $10 million per year, and he deserves it. But the only way the Steelers can get there with the 30% rule is to pay almost all of it in bonus/guaranteed money. I've said before that I sympathise with Woodley's frustration, but it is simply stupid for him to say that the Steelers don't appreciate him because they're not willing to shell out the guaranteed money that a contract adequate to satisfy him would require.

NJ-STEELER
07-25-2010, 04:39 PM
well, if he wants $10/yr

i dont think we're gonna get him to sign a contract here

RuthlessBurgher
07-25-2010, 08:35 PM
well, if he wants $10/yr

He wants $10 million per year, and I predict we will give him that...but we cannot do so right now because of the outrageous bonus required for such a deal. I think we give him a $10 million a year deal after the CBA is ratified with guaranteed money in the $20's instead of in the $40's or $50's as would be necessary to do such a deal at this point in time.

NJ-STEELER
07-25-2010, 09:08 PM
well, if he wants $10/yr

He wants $10 million per year, and I predict we will give him that...but we cannot do so right now because of the outrageous bonus required for such a deal. I think we give him a $10 million a year deal after the CBA is ratified with guaranteed money in the $20's instead of in the $40's or $50's as would be necessary to do such a deal at this point in time.

i hope your right.

i have my doubts

hawaiiansteel
07-26-2010, 03:33 PM
Updated: July 26, 2010

Source: Woodley won't hold out

By James Walker
ESPN.com

Despite unhappiness with his current contract, Pittsburgh Steelers Pro Bowl linebacker LaMarr Woodley will show up on time for training camp when players are due to report on Friday, a source told ESPN.com.

The Steelers recently decided they will not renegotiate Woodley's deal before the start of the 2010 season. After recording 25 sacks the past two seasons, Woodley will make $550,000 in the final year of his rookie contract.

Pittsburgh traditionally does not negotiate contracts during the season, which means talks are not expected to resume until 2011 when Woodley is due to become a free agent.

If Woodley, 25, has another strong season, keeping him in Pittsburgh could be expensive. Linebacker Elvis Dumervil of the Denver Broncos recently set a new bar for pass rushers by signing a $61.5 million extension that reportedly includes $43.168 million in guarantees.

A franchise tag for Woodley also is a possibility if it remains within the new collective bargaining agreement next season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5410540

NJ-STEELER
07-26-2010, 08:42 PM
Monday Madden: Why haven't Steelers renegotiated with Woodley?
Beaver County Times

Sunday July 25, 2010 11:21 PM

“Sometimes, you’ve got to be treated fair.” — LaMarr Woodley.

Yeah, but not this time.

The Steelers’ outside linebacker is justifiably angry about being scheduled to make just $550,000 this coming season. Woodley had 13.5 sacks last year, 11.5 in 2008. Woodley added six more sacks in the latter campaign’s playoffs as the Steelers won the Super Bowl.

Rev. Jesse Jackson compared LeBron James to a runaway slave. Woodley might like a chance to escape. 550K? Get serious.

That’s the problem. The Steelers won’t get serious. They’re not even talking to Woodley about a new deal. Woodley’s comments to the media have a good-natured gloss. But you can tell he’s seething.

There’s no mystery. There’s an obvious explanation for the Steelers’ refusal to renegotiate Woodley’s pact.

They don’t want to.

Under the league’s current labor laws, no player can have his salary raised by more than 30 percent per year. That’s a popular excuse for Steelers apologists regarding Woodley’s finances. The “30 percent rule” doesn’t allow for a big increase, they say.

But Tennessee running back Chris Johnson was supposed to make 550K, too. He got a new deal. He’ll make $2.5 million.

Kevin Kolb, Philadelphia’s freshly-minted starting quarterback, was also supposed to make 550 K. He’ll make $12.26 million. Kolb’s new pact included a signing bonus of $10.7 million.

Signing bonuses, roster bonuses, easily-reached performance bonuses — there are lots of ways to beat the “30 percent rule.”

The Steelers just don’t want to pay Woodley. Not yet, anyway.

A new CBA must be negotiated. A lockout in 2011 is very possible. The Steelers might not want to pay Woodley a big signing bonus, then see football shut down. But the NFL would resume play at some point. When it does, the Steelers will need Woodley. Big bonus now, big bonus later — what’s the difference?

Tom Brady and Peyton Manning are entering the final seasons of their contracts. Their teams are in no hurry to negotiate. But their situations differ greatly from Woodley’s. Brady and Manning have already made big money and are highly unlikely to migrate via free agency. The Steelers seem to be daring Woodley to leave.
Advertisement

The Steelers might be counting on franchising Woodley. But there’s no guarantee the new CBA will even contain that device.

The Steelers’ outside linebackers have a tendency to be overrated. They come, they go, and the Steelers always find more. With more and more NFL teams using the 3-4 defense, that might become more difficult. But the Steelers’ system certainly creates the ideal environment for outside linebackers to excel.

That said, Woodley — like James Harrison — has made the most of it. Harrison got his: A six-year deal worth $51.175 million. Woodley can’t be thrilled about that disparity.

Here’s a weird scenario: What if Harrison fizzles in 2010 like he did in the second half of ‘09 while Woodley sizzles? Could the Steelers cut Harrison and sign Woodley? Don’t count that out.

Woodley is obviously a standout talent. Barring grievous injury, his financial future seems secure.

This is about respect and doing the right thing.

Boy, it’s tough to write that with a straight face.

If NFL owners truly saw the players as partners, contracts would be guaranteed, like in every other major sport. It’s laughable when people say Woodley should shut up and honor his deal when the Steelers could immediately terminate any player.

Now the NFL wants an 18-game schedule. Two extra competitive games in an extremely physical sport already fraught with excessive injury.

The owners don’t respect the players enough.

The Steelers don’t respect Woodley enough.

This will get worse before it gets better. If it ever gets better, that is.

Mark Madden hosts a radio show 3-6 p.m. weekdays on WXDX-FM (105.9).

ter1230_4
07-26-2010, 09:18 PM
This article just goes goes to show what a #### Mark Madden is. Yes, the Steelers could just go ahead and pay Woodley a $10.7 million signing bonus for a one year deal out of the goodness of their hearts, like the Eagles apparently did for Kolb. I'm sure Madden knows all about giving away money out of the goodness of his heart. And if Woodley thinks that the Steelers are doing him wrong because they won't do something like that, let's see how he feels after he gets the franchise tag.

stlrz d
07-26-2010, 10:21 PM
Here’s a weird scenario: What if Harrison fizzles in 2010 like he did in the second half of ‘09 while Woodley sizzles? Could the Steelers cut Harrison and sign Woodley? Don’t count that out.

LULZ.... :lol:

fezziwig
07-28-2010, 09:08 PM

LULZ.... :lol:

i don't see it

NJ-STEELER
07-29-2010, 12:15 AM
another player gets a big extension with the uncertainty of No CBA looming.

antonio gates.

not good for Wood's temperment

hawaiiansteel
07-29-2010, 12:54 AM

antonio gates.

first Elvis Dumervil, then Chris Johnson, now Antonio Gates...

Updated: July 29, 2010

Gates agrees to 5-year extension

ESPN.com news services

Pro Bowl tight end Antonio Gates has agreed to a $36.175 million, five-year contract extension with the San Diego Chargers, making him the NFL's highest-paid tight end.

The deal, which runs through the 2015 season, is worth $7.235 million per season, with $20.4 million in guarantees, a source told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen.

"Antonio is a special player and person. He is everything we are looking for in a Chargers player," general Manager A.J. Smith said in a statement released by the team. "His talent and contributions to our team speak for themselves. His work ethic and desire to be the best are unmatched. He has been a major part of the success we have had over the past several years, and we are thrilled he will continue to be with us for years to come."

With three other star players unhappy about their contracts, talks with Gates apparently intensified this week. Gates and other veterans are due to report to training camp on Thursday, with the first full-squad practice on Friday.

"I've been blessed my whole career to be with one team." Gates said in a statement released by the team. "It's always good to get [the contract] out of the way. The goal is to win a championship. We all are human and it becomes a distraction even though you might not want it to be. It's always great to be able to go ahead and do what you need to do and get it out of the way."

It wasn't clear if getting Gates' deal done would lead to new deals for restricted free agents Marcus McNeill, Vincent Jackson and Shawne Merriman.

McNeill, the left tackle who protects quarterback Philip Rivers' blind side, and Jackson, a Pro Bowl wide receiver with two straight 1,000-yard seasons, are unhappy that they haven't been given long-term deals and are expected to hold out through training camp and the season's first 10 games. They are expected to return for the final six games to accrue another season toward unrestricted free agency.

Jackson and McNeill were tendered one-year deals at just more than $3 million each. When they didn't sign the offers by June 15, the Chargers were entitled to offer them their same salaries as 2009, resulting in a loss of about $2.5 million each.

Merriman hasn't signed his tender for $3.269 million, but the outside linebacker was due a 10 percent raise anyway, which would put his 2010 pay at approximately the tender amount. Still, he hasn't said when he'll report.

These negotiations between Gates and the Chargers went much more smoothly than in 2005.

Gates held out during training camp that year, leading general manager A.J. Smith to take the extreme measure of placing him on the roster exempt list in an attempt to break the impasse, automatically triggering a three-game suspension. Gates missed the final two exhibition games and the season opener, which the Chargers lost.

Gates dumped the agent who represented him then and hired Tom Condon.

Since his rookie season, Gates leads tight ends in touchdown catches with 59. He ranks second in yards, 6,223, and third in catches, 479. Gates has led the Chargers in catches each of the last six seasons. In 2009, he topped the Bolts with 79 catches and a career-best 1,157 yards, with eight touchdowns.

The six-time Pro Bowler and a three-time All-Pro was named to the NFL's All-Decade Team (2000-09).

This is the second big contract for a Chargers player in less than a year. Rivers was given a contract extension worth nearly $93 million toward the end of last year's training camp.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5418271

RuthlessBurgher
07-29-2010, 10:50 AM

antonio gates.

In 2005, Gates signed his second contract with the Chargers, worth $22.5 million over six years, including a $6 million signing bonus and an additional $3.16 million roster bonus in 2006. Gates' base salaries during the contract that runs through 2011 will be $380,000, $460,000, $2.625 million, $3 million, $3.25 million and $3.625 million.

That's a significant difference when compared to Woodley's rookie deal as a 2nd round pick. The 30% rule was not a major stumbling block for a Gates deal like it is for Woodley. Completely apples to oranges.

NJ-STEELER
07-29-2010, 05:58 PM
yes, the 30% rule makes it a different. case

but, i've seen some excuses range from the 'they dont want to give him guarenteed money due to a new CBA looming'

apparently other teams dont care about it much

RuthlessBurgher
07-29-2010, 08:16 PM

but, i've seen some excuses range from the 'they dont want to give him guarenteed money due to a new CBA looming'

They don't want to give him 40-something or 50-something million guaranteed, which would be required on a long term deal averaging about 10 million per year without a CBA.

They will be willing to give him 20-something million guaranteed on a long term deal averaging about 10 million per year after a new CBA is ratified.

NJ-STEELER
07-29-2010, 10:20 PM

They don't want to give him 40-something or 50-something million guaranteed, which would be required on a long term deal averaging about 10 million per year without a CBA.

They will be willing to give him 20-something million guaranteed on a long term deal averaging about 10 million per year after a new CBA is ratified.

i hope so, wish i had your optimism

thats a big bonus to pay out.

i love me some wood (ohhh, that sounds a lot like HeHateMe) but right now he may not be a top 3 important player on the defense. troy, debo, smitty may edge him right now .... i'm hoping they do take his youth into consideration if they look at it that way

ter1230_4
07-29-2010, 11:49 PM
i hope so, wish i had your optimism

thats a big bonus to pay out.

i love me some wood (ohhh, that sounds a lot like HeHateMe) but right now he may not be a top 3 important player on the defense. troy, debo, smitty may edge him right now .... i'm hoping they do take his youth into consideration if they look at it that way

Why do you keep on complaining about the Steelers not re-signing Woodley if you think that $20 million plus in guaranteed money is "a big bonus to pay out, since the Steelers would have to pay him twice as much in guaranteed money to re-sign him today?

NJ-STEELER
07-30-2010, 02:27 AM
i read it like he meant $20M signing bonus, my mistake

RuthlessBurgher
07-30-2010, 10:38 AM
When is the last time we let a dominant young player walk without giving them a second contract after their rookie deal was up? The only time it happened was with knuckleheads like Plaxico and Santonio. Woodley does not fall into that category. We signed Troy to a hearty 2nd contract. We signed Ben to a hearty 2nd contract. We signed Heath to a hearty 2nd contract. They aren't just going to let Woodley walk away for nothing. They'll make it happen.

NJ-STEELER
07-30-2010, 06:05 PM
the whispers of not having a franchise Tag might not give the team an option to keep him

hawaiiansteel
08-02-2010, 11:04 PM
per LaMarr Woodley's twitter account:

"Negotiations for contract extension is over 50/50 if I'm wearing black and gold next yr"

http://twitter.com/LaMarrWoodley

fezziwig
08-03-2010, 05:41 PM
When is the last time we let a dominant young player walk without giving them a second contract after their rookie deal was up? The only time it happened was with knuckleheads like Plaxico and Santonio. Woodley does not fall into that category. We signed Troy to a hearty 2nd contract. We signed Ben to a hearty 2nd contract. We signed Heath to a hearty 2nd contract. They aren't just going to let Woodley walk away for nothing. They'll make it happen.

I agree. You would think and maybe they do pull these guys to the side or tell their agents, " listen, we will make you the deal but right now, it isn't in yours or ours best interest to do it now because............ such and such. Hang in there you'll get your reward. "

NJ-STEELER
08-11-2010, 06:22 AM
apparently roster bonuses do not get accounted for with the 30% rule looking at dumerville's contract

...Dumervil’s extension includes an $43.168 million injury guarantee and $58.332 million in new money according to Mike Florio at ProFootballTalk.com.

He’ll have to wait until next season to really cash in, however.

His 2009 base salary remains $3.168 million although the money was shuffled a bit. The salary itself was dropped to the league minimum, but the balance was paid in a signing bonus according to Florio.

When next season kicks off (whenever that may be), he will be guaranteed $14 million for skill with $6 million paid in advance.

The scenario repeats itself through the remainder of the contract with guarantees of $14 million in 2012, $12 million in 2013, $10 million in 2014 and $9 million in 2015....

Read more: http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2010/bro ... z0wI8P87Ti (http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2010/broncos-pay-out-elvis-dumervil-contract-extension-details/#ixzz0wI8P87Ti)

frankthetank1
08-11-2010, 08:11 AM

the only two i can think of were chad brown and hardy nickerson. i was pretty young at the time so i dont remember the specifics. neither are in the same league as woodley though. i think the main reasons why they let both players walk is because they had so much talent at MLB. you are right though, the steelers are very fair in paying players. they are just a lot more careful with their money than other teams.

even though a few big contracts have been done in this off season it is far less than what would have been done if there was more certainty next season. tom brady doesnt even have a new contract. that says a lot.

CanadianSteel
08-11-2010, 11:22 AM
per LaMarr Woodley's twitter account:

"Negotiations for contract extension is over 50/50 if I'm wearing black and gold next yr"

http://twitter.com/LaMarrWoodley

While i think we will get this done and Wood will be a Steeler for many years to come. I have to say i don't like the sound of that at all :(

aggiebones
08-11-2010, 08:15 PM
I'm not sure how these players (Revis/Woodley) think their teams can sign them for any amount of money. Andre Johnson was signed to an extension of 2 years on a 5 year deal. But that is easy to add in on a 30% increase situation. These guys CANNOT get new contracts of any value.
No team is really negotiating and its clearly some sort of collusion, but it is what it is. They ain't getting signed. AND they will be under lock and kep when negotiations are over. He ain't going anywhere.
He will be very rich after this season. Hopefully no injury occurs.
Frankly, if I'm Revis or Woodley, I have a big insurance plan put on me by the club. Or I sit out cause its not worth playing and getting hurt, when so much money is on the line.
Revis is correct not to play. Woodley would be too.

NJ-STEELER
09-09-2010, 07:37 PM
austin miles signs a big extension.

didn't check, but i doubt he was even making as much as woodley this year being a college free agent.

i dont like where this is going. timmons playing outside, other teams not having trouble with this rule in palce.

and with no cap this year... lost a big chance to incled most of thqat money without any consequenses

feltdizz
09-09-2010, 07:50 PM

didn't check, but i doubt he was even making as much as woodley this year being a college free agent.

i dont like where this is going. timmons playing outside, other teams not having trouble with this rule in palce.

and with no cap this year... lost a big chance to incled most of thqat money without any consequenses

you better be on a phone or at bar...

but ummm... I agree with you. If I'm Woodley I would have made a stink. If he gets hurt this season the money he loses could be staggering.

I must admit though... if I was the Steeler GM I wouldn't give Woodley a ton of guaranteed money. The guy has yet to put together a complete season of dominating football. 2 sacks in the first 8 games? I'm not breaking the bank for that. These other guys are getting paid to be the #1 at their position on their team. Woodley isn't our best defender. While he is of value to us how valuable would he be on another team?

I'm not saying he blows but... just sayin.

NJ-STEELER
09-09-2010, 08:41 PM
i'm was home watching ESPN when they came on with that update.

why do i need to be at a bar??

i think woodley has earned a raise, maybe not one of the best paid but he's earned what harrison makes..and from my understanding hasn't even been offered that.

dallas, by comparison has given roy willimas a big contract, drafted bryant #1 and still found the money to pay Austin.

something is fishy here

and if woodley does want an Avg of $10/ yr...i think he's gone .. i'm afraid the FO wont pay him that

Slapstick
09-09-2010, 11:19 PM
Miles Austin contract is a different situation...

He was a UFA this offseason and signed a one-year tender...

His contract kicks in in 2011...

feltdizz
09-10-2010, 08:02 AM

but ummm... I agree with you. If I'm Woodley I would have made a stink. If he gets hurt this season the money he loses could be staggering.

I must admit though... if I was the Steeler GM I wouldn't give Woodley a ton of guaranteed money. The guy has yet to put together a complete season of dominating football. 2 sacks in the first 8 games? I'm not breaking the bank for that. These other guys are getting paid to be the #1 at their position on their team. Woodley isn't our best defender. While he is of value to us how valuable would he be on another team?

:D

NJ-STEELER
09-10-2010, 10:26 AM
Miles Austin contract is a different situation...

He was a UFA this offseason and signed a one-year tender...

His contract kicks in in 2011...

you are right. sorry, i forgot he signed a deal last year.

that said, he made $1.5M opposed to woodley $575K

its not that much of a difference.

bottom line if the FO wanted to get it done, it could have IMO

NJ-STEELER
09-10-2010, 10:27 AM

:D

ha

yeah my fingers are too fast for my mind. and my phone is a touch screen pad which types whatever it wants to sometimes

Slapstick
09-10-2010, 10:50 AM
you are right. sorry, i forgot he signed a deal last year.

that said, he made $1.5M opposed to woodley $575K

its not that much of a difference.

bottom line if the FO wanted to get it done, it could have IMO

Miles signed a one year contract last year...

He also signed a one year $3.8 mil contract for 2010...

His new contract does not start until 2011...it has $18 mil in guarantees...

Now, I don't know if Dallas protected themselves in the event of an injury this year or what will happen if there is a lockout or a new CBA ratified before the 2011 season...