PDA

View Full Version : My 5th Annual Celebrity Golf Tourney has been...

JDSteeler
07-11-2010, 04:24 AM
...CANCELLED!!!!!

Ben is NOT participating in this years Tournament....

I really have enjoyed going to this event, as it is a great way to get ready
for the up-coming football season.

I was hoping that Hines Ward would finally decide to come out, but that's
not gonna happen.

The Bus is there, as he has been for the last 3 years, but I've got his auto
on a bunch of stuff, and he's really not that open with the fans.

The reasons, Ben is most likely not going, is three-fold. He is too embarrassed
to show up, was told by his Lawyers to stay away from the event due to the pending
legal issue, or was not invited by American Century.

However, all is not lost in the quest for "The Spoon and Knife of Greatness".

This year I will be attending the Rockstar Mayhem Festival on 7/11, which is
head-lining the BEST rock-band....KORN!!!! Then on 7/13, going to see the 2nd
best rock band....TOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think this serves as a better way to release some pent-up frustrations that
I've been holding inside.

Three weeks to T/C, and then it's on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Froooothing at the mouth like a crazed dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELERS!!!! and KOOOOOOOORN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kiwi_sarah
07-11-2010, 05:03 AM
Ummmm, need/want a date for Tool? For Tool I could forget I'm married :D

Grats dude, nothing beats seeing the bands you love, it's the best high. I'm jealous!

calmkiller
07-11-2010, 09:55 AM
I have always had respect for you sir. Even with all the crazy Fork talk and stalking type aura around you. But saying that Korn is the number 1 rock band and TOOL is below them? You have just fallen down my respect chart my friend. There is no excuse for this. /shakes head.

frankthetank1
07-11-2010, 09:59 AM
wow im jealous, i would love to see tool!! calmkiller is right though, korn better than tool wtf man hahaha?

JDSteeler
07-12-2010, 12:45 PM
I have always had respect for you sir. Even with all the crazy Fork talk and stalking type aura around you. But saying that Korn is the number 1 rock band and TOOL is below them? You have just fallen down my respect chart my friend. There is no excuse for this. /shakes head.

Your respect chart really don't mean that much to me....LOL!!!

I just so happen, to have a different opinion than you, and maybe a few others
on this board.

Don't get me wrong, there is NOT a very large gap between KORN, and TOOL.

I will let you know on 7/14 whom I liked better, as I am going to see TOOL on 7/13.

I thought KORN was awesome, last night!!!!!

They played all their greatest hits, and the two newer songs!!!!!

Friggin sick!!!!

JD

RuthlessBurgher
07-12-2010, 01:26 PM
Am I the only lame guy here who doesn't know any songs by Korn or Tool?

At least I am aware of both of them as bands, and I know what type of music they play, but am not familiar with any of their work specifically. I do remember when Korn was on an episode of South Park as if they were the Scooby Doo gang, though, so at least I'm not uber-lame. :mrgreen:

http://www.teamteabag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Korn_southpark-500x375.jpg

Then again, the last concert I attended was probably to take my kids to see the Wiggles. :lol:

http://learningtoplaythebassoon.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/wiggles.jpg

flippy
07-12-2010, 01:33 PM
Am I the only lame guy here who doesn't know any songs by Korn or Tool?

At least I am aware of both of them as bands, and I know what type of music they play, but am not familiar with any of their work specifically. I do remember when Korn was on an episode of South Park as if they were the Scooby Doo gang, though, so at least I'm not uber-lame. :mrgreen:

http://www.teamteabag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Korn_southpark-500x375.jpg

Then again, the last concert I attended was probably to take my kids to see the Wiggles. :lol:

http://learningtoplaythebassoon.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/wiggles.jpg

I used to think you were korny, but now I know you're a tool. ;)

RKSteel
07-12-2010, 01:37 PM

Your respect chart really don't mean that much to me....LOL!!!

I just so happen, to have a different opinion than you, and maybe a few others
on this board.

Don't get me wrong, there is NOT a very large gap between KORN, and TOOL.

I will let you know on 7/14 whom I liked better, as I am going to see TOOL on 7/13.

I thought KORN was awesome, last night!!!!!

They played all their greatest hits, and the two newer songs!!!!!

Friggin sick!!!!

JD
Going to Iron Maiden tonight \m/ \m/

Going to RUSH next week :Bow

Now that my friend, is an awesome two concerts :Beer

flippy
07-12-2010, 03:04 PM
I'd have Guns and Roses, Queen, and 30 Seconds to Mars at the top of my rock band list.

I've got many other bands I'd include ahead of Tool or Korn including everyone from U2 to Journey to Nirvana to Paramore to the BeeGees.

Although I'm not even sure who fits in the rock band category anymore.

Ghost
07-12-2010, 03:09 PM
Lady Gaga > Tool

flippy
07-12-2010, 03:19 PM
Lady Gaga > Tool

agreed

kiwi_sarah
07-12-2010, 04:12 PM
Lady Gaga > Tool

Oh god. Math makes me sad. This makes me almost suicidal.

Rock on though, whatever floats your boat.

Ghost
07-13-2010, 11:16 AM
Lady Gaga > Tool

I was completely kidding. I'd spend a lifetime in silence if she was my only choice.

I do find it funny that Tool fans go crazy if you don't think they are the best band ever. I've run across that a bunch.

RuthlessBurgher
07-13-2010, 12:08 PM
Lady Gaga > Tool

I was completely kidding. I'd spend a lifetime in silence if she was my only choice.

I do find it funny that Tool fans go crazy if you don't think they are the best band ever. I've run across that a bunch.

The sad thing is that my 5 year old daughter will sing Lady Gaga songs randomly when we are hanging around the house. I asked her where she heard that stuff, and she said that she listens to those songs in the car with Mommy. :HeadBanger At least I haven't heard my 9 year old son singing that crap yet...there may be trouble if that happens.

When I have the kids in the car, I play Beatles tunes for them, and the two of them now know the words to even complex songs like "I Am The Walrus." It is funny at family get-togethers to hear Li'l Miss Ruthless break out into "Sitting on a cornflake...waiting for the van to come" and then Ruthless Jr. later saying "Semolina pilchard...climbing up the Eiffel tower."

:Beer

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
07-13-2010, 12:13 PM
I think the distance between Korn & Tool is large. Korn is up there in my book. There is a generation dam built in my head. While in HS and before, I had bands like AC/DC, Metallica, Aerosmith, Zeplin, Doors, Poison, Crue, Kiss,etc. I still Like them. Post HS I have new blood. KORN, Godsmack, SLipknot, Breakin Ben, Zombie, Manson, etc. I would have to say it is very hard to put a Top 5 together. I personally put Rage at the top and throw in Korn, Godsmack, SLipknot, and the 5th would be tough. Breakin Ben, Zombie, Manson, Nickelback, Tool, and some others would be fightin it out. There is new blood always showing up and if you have a metal head...It catches your interest.

I would have to say Godsmack & Korn have to be at the top of the concerts I have seen. Never saw Rage or Slipknot but I'm sure they are good live.

frankthetank1
07-13-2010, 12:26 PM
I think the distance between Korn & Tool is large. Korn is up there in my book. There is a generation dam built in my head. While in HS and before, I had bands like AC/DC, Metallica, Aerosmith, Zeplin, Doors, Poison, Crue, Kiss,etc. I still Like them. Post HS I have new blood. KORN, Godsmack, SLipknot, Breakin Ben, Zombie, Manson, etc. I would have to say it is very hard to put a Top 5 together. I personally put Rage at the top and throw in Korn, Godsmack, SLipknot, and the 5th would be tough. Breakin Ben, Zombie, Manson, Nickelback, Tool, and some others would be fightin it out. There is new blood always showing up and if you have a metal head...It catches your interest.

I would have to say Godsmack & Korn have to be at the top of the concerts I have seen. Never saw Rage or Slipknot but I'm sure they are good live.

rage was one of the best show's i have been too. i saw them in the late 90's when they were touring with wu-tang. i was a much bigger wu-tang fan than rage but both were excellent

flippy
07-13-2010, 02:29 PM
Lady Gaga > Tool

The sad thing is that my 5 year old daughter will sing Lady Gaga songs randomly when we are hanging around the house. I asked her where she heard that stuff, and she said that she listens to those songs in the car with Mommy. :HeadBanger At least I haven't heard my 9 year old son singing that crap yet...there may be trouble if that happens.

When I have the kids in the car, I play Beatles tunes for them, and the two of them now know the words to even complex songs like "I Am The Walrus." It is funny at family get-togethers to hear Li'l Miss Ruthless break out into "Sitting on a cornflake...waiting for the van to come" and then Ruthless Jr. later saying "Semolina pilchard...climbing up the Eiffel tower."

:Beer

I saw Lady Gaga live and have been a fan since. She's Madonna with musical talent. I think she should be on broadway which I'm also a fan of - hopefully I'm not losing my man card for confessing. :oops:

I've grown to like any musician that can perform phenomenally live. When I go to a concert I want to hear something that can't be captured on a recording.

The best vocal I've ever heard was Celine by a mile. People were freaking crying after her show in Vegas (grown men too - not including Flippy). I've never been so blown away by a performance.

On the other hand, I cannot stand musicians that are manufactured and lack an ounce of talent such as the Black Eyed Peas. After having seen them perform badly multiple times, their music makes me cringe.

There's countless rock bands that have similar issues and just use distortion to cover sloppy music.

As I get older I appreciate clean/crisp music - ie Elvis.

If I could create the perfect band, I'd take ColdPlay and make Bono their frontman.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
07-13-2010, 02:36 PM

rage was one of the best show's i have been too. i saw them in the late 90's when they were touring with wu-tang. i was a much bigger wu-tang fan than rage but both were excellent

I might have missed my chance to ever see Rage. MAYBE...I will get another chance.

kiwi_sarah
07-13-2010, 05:41 PM
Lady Gaga > Tool

Oh that makes me feel SO much better! Agreed though - I'm NOT one of those Tool fans. I've only been into them a few years, but there are an awful lot of bands I'd put ahead of her lol

awww, so cute! I had cousins that knew the entire Metallica catalog by age 4. My youngest brother told me recently he "likes the bad romance and the poker face". I was sad until he said "I like Miley Cyrus too......well, not her songs, just HER".

You gotta film the 5 year old singing "I Am The Walrus" and put it on YouTube - did you know that "David at the dentist" kid made like $150,000? :)

I'm into a really, really strange mix of music. Product of growing up in a uber strict household where the only music I could find for a few years was these "solid gold" records from god knows when & Bob Dylan tapes. I'm a sucker for a lyric that just punches you in the face with truth and music that physically does something to you....that thing you can't even explain, you just hear a chord change or a drop or a melody and you feel it.

I'm primarily a "hard rock" girl though. I LOVE LZ, Slipknot & Manson. I so rarely meet another Manson fan in my day-to-day life I just had to give you one of these... :Bow

I might have missed my chance to ever see Rage. MAYBE...I will get another chance.

I read recently that they are spear heading this drive for musicians to boycott Arizona due to the immigration law. Rumor has it they're going to put on this massive concert just outside of AZ (so as not to punish "the people". If it goes ahead it would be one of those things I'd sell my house to attend (if I had a house to sell)

Sorry for the long post....I'm a bit of a freak about music. :D

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
07-14-2010, 09:10 AM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":23xbslo4]I think the distance between Korn & Tool is large. Korn is up there in my book. There is a generation dam built in my head. While in HS and before, I had bands like AC/DC, Metallica, Aerosmith, Zeplin, Doors, Poison, Crue, Kiss,etc. I still Like them. Post HS I have new blood. KORN, Godsmack, SLipknot, Breakin Ben, Zombie, Manson, etc. I would have to say it is very hard to put a Top 5 together. I personally put Rage at the top and throw in Korn, Godsmack, SLipknot, and the 5th would be tough. Breakin Ben, Zombie, Manson, Nickelback, Tool, and some others would be fightin it out. There is new blood always showing up and if you have a metal head...It catches your interest.

I'm into a really, really strange mix of music. Product of growing up in a uber strict household where the only music I could find for a few years was these "solid gold" records from god knows when & Bob Dylan tapes. I'm a sucker for a lyric that just punches you in the face with truth and music that physically does something to you....that thing you can't even explain, you just hear a chord change or a drop or a melody and you feel it.

I'm primarily a "hard rock" girl though. I LOVE LZ, Slipknot & Manson. I so rarely meet another Manson fan in my day-to-day life I just had to give you one of these... :Bow

I read recently that they are spear heading this drive for musicians to boycott Arizona due to the immigration law. Rumor has it they're going to put on this massive concert just outside of AZ (so as not to punish "the people". If it goes ahead it would be one of those things I'd sell my house to attend (if I had a house to sell)

Sorry for the long post....I'm a bit of a freak about music. :D[/quote:23xbslo4]

A young, beautiful, Steeler Girl who is into "hard rock", a bit of freak about music, and lives in New Zealand. :cry: That is what I wrote on my perfect woman description in my personal add! :wink: Well, minus the New Zealand part. Although a 100% upgrade from PA...New Zealand sounds better.

I'm like you. I have a wide range of music. I also like Rap and R&B all the way down to country. Hard Rock and Rap sharpens the senses when working out. It also helps set my mood. I think the "country" factor is selective artist and more than likely "just because" I lived in the country my whole life and I'm surrounded by it. It is only certain artists & songs because it dulls my mood...Or better said...It depresses me.

Some Manson & Slipknot songs are perfect "pump" songs when you are working out.

kiwi_sarah
07-14-2010, 06:31 PM
A young, beautiful, Steeler Girl who is into "hard rock", a bit of freak about music, and lives in New Zealand. :cry: That is what I wrote on my perfect woman description in my personal add! :wink: Well, minus the New Zealand part. Although a 100% upgrade from PA...New Zealand sounds better.

I'm like you. I have a wide range of music. I also like Rap and R&B all the way down to country. Hard Rock and Rap sharpens the senses when working out. It also helps set my mood. I think the "country" factor is selective artist and more than likely "just because" I lived in the country my whole life and I'm surrounded by it. It is only certain artists & songs because it dulls my mood...Or better said...It depresses me.

Yeah but, with the New Zealand thing comes a bangin' accent - just saying!

I'm with you - I need something pumping when I'm on the treadmill, I don't listen to a LOT of rap, a little NWA (hold-over from elementary school lol), Eminem & Kanye.

Again, hearing you on the country thing. I can appreciate a GOOD country song, but there's a lot of bad out there. I have to admit to being a Jewel fan since high school, and her country stuff I like because her lyrics haven't changed, just the style. Without a doubt though, Johnny Cash is in my top ten of all time. Love him.

I've loved Manson since the early Spooky Kid days. Lunchbox is still one of my fav songs. I've heard every argument under the sun against him....but anyone who really knows his music, knows he's a musical & conceptual genius (and I don't use that term lightly).

Same deal with Slipknot. They're so often denigrated because people have heard one of their songs and didn't dig it. I've only recently been listening to them a lot, my fav song of theirs at the moment is Vermillion Pt 2 - it KILLS me (which is a less girly way of saying it makes me cry).

Must.Stop.Typing. I could talk about music forever. :D

flippy
07-15-2010, 02:34 AM
I know a guy who played in a band that opened for Manson before he became famous. Said the guy was the biggest douche (not tastic) on the planet. Never nice to anyone. But said the guys in the band were really cool. And he was around him all the time.

I like Manson's music. Hate his live voice.

I've got strange taste in music. I like most every style besides most country. From classical to rock to punk to metal to showtunes to jazz to blues to rap to pop. I can find something for any mood.

I was listening a lot of the Wicked Soundtrack, Blue October, and Panic at the Disco today. It was like Peanut Butter and Jelly. It was all jiving with my inspired feelings of the day.

Tomorrow I think I'm gonna listen to Public Enemy and Cypress Hill. I've been craving some Public Enemy cause I was thinking about how the Pittsburgh Pirate hate became so popular today and the first person I can remember seeing wearing it outside of Pittsburgh fans was Chuck D. Their political agenda sometimes gets on my nerves, so I figure balancing it out with rap from a bunch of potheads oughta do the trick. Then again, I usually listen to Cypress Hill and Outkast and that's some great PB&J right there. I may need something else for PE. Maybe I'll go Anthrax since they did that song together.

Come to think of it, that song was the pioneer and inspiration for the 6 or 7 songs JayZ and LinknPark mixed together a few years back. And I've been listening to JZ/LP every other day at the gym for the last 3 weeks. It's time to pay homage to PE and Anthrax. That's what I'll do. I'm glad I posted and came up with this. Yes!!!!!

I like artists that push mixing different instruments/styles. Wasn't it Metallica that first mixed a lot of symphony orchestra with rock? I miss them. I've really stopped listening to them since they became complete douches about free music. I haven't seen them live since the toured with GNR.

A couple more music tidbits while I'm on a roll.

Here's a couple of the best concerts I've seen that I didn't expect at all: Debbie Gibson in the mall (She was real and not manufactured music at all), John Mayer(best performer I've ever seen, his opening act showed up late, so he opened for his opening act and never left the stage for 6 or 7 hours. I thought this guy was the lamest person on earth until I saw him. Changed my impression 180 degrees), and Nickleback (their songs irritate me worse than any other musician ever, but they were great live. They were an opening act for 2 other bands at the time and we saw them by accident. I would have refused to go early if I knew they were there).

I had a crush when I was younger on the lead singer of the Bangles. I also like Kylie Minogue (for her cuteness not her music), Elisabeth Shue, and Virginia Madsen back then. Unfortunately I never met any of them, so who knows if they're skanks or not in person :lol

I did meet Cindy Crawford and Brooke Shields in my younger days and I'm still convinced to this day those are the 2 best looking Celebs I've ever seen and know exactly why they are both so famous. Cindy had her hair tucked up in a baseball cap and had sunglasses on when I ran into her and I remember her skin looked like she was an airbrushed pic of herself. Not a single blemish. It was weird.

How did I stray so far off topic??????? I'm getting all nostalgic talking about music I guess.

I digress before I say something ridiculous.

steelernation77
07-15-2010, 06:45 AM
Way too much nu-metal love in this thread. Check out the Hold Steady. I'd start with the album Boys and Girls in America.

stlrz d
07-15-2010, 08:04 AM
Wasn't it Metallica that first mixed a lot of symphony orchestra with rock?

It was done long before Metallica. Just two examples I can think of off the top of my head would be Tommy and Quadrophenia by The Who. Heck, a lot of early rock in the 50's did that even. Mixing symphony with rock has been going on for 50 some years now.

Too late! :P

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
07-15-2010, 09:53 AM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":2gyaupz7]

Yeah but, with the New Zealand thing comes a bangin' accent - just saying!

I'm with you - I need something pumping when I'm on the treadmill, I don't listen to a LOT of rap, a little NWA (hold-over from elementary school lol), Eminem & Kanye.

Again, hearing you on the country thing. I can appreciate a GOOD country song, but there's a lot of bad out there. I have to admit to being a Jewel fan since high school, and her country stuff I like because her lyrics haven't changed, just the style. Without a doubt though, Johnny Cash is in my top ten of all time. Love him.

I've loved Manson since the early Spooky Kid days. Lunchbox is still one of my fav songs. I've heard every argument under the sun against him....but anyone who really knows his music, knows he's a musical & conceptual genius (and I don't use that term lightly).

Same deal with Slipknot. They're so often denigrated because people have heard one of their songs and didn't dig it. I've only recently been listening to them a lot, my fav song of theirs at the moment is Vermillion Pt 2 - it KILLS me (which is a less girly way of saying it makes me cry).

Must.Stop.Typing. I could talk about music forever. :D[/quote:2gyaupz7]
I'm upset I can't hear that "bangin' accent" in your posts. :( :wink: SLipknot is something you really have to like. You just can't blend in or carry over form metal/rock. You have to like the whole package. If you do, like me, you really put them up there. As far as Manson, if you don't like the frontman or the "aura" that seems to engulf the whole band...You have to like the product if you like metal/rock. I don't know how many times I heard people say, "Wow, That's a great song! Who sings it?" Once they know it is Manson...They don't like it. They have an ear for rock/metal but "Manson" turns them away. Zombie has the same feel.

flippy
07-15-2010, 01:14 PM

It was done long before Metallica. Just two examples I can think of off the top of my head would be Tommy and Quadrophenia by The Who. Heck, a lot of early rock in the 50's did that even. Mixing symphony with rock has been going on for 50 some years now.

I was thinking of them being the first concert that incorporated symphony music throughout their entire show. Something sticks out in my head that it was really prominent.

Just like I know people have mixed rock and rap prior to Linkn Park, but they stand out more as the band that really brought it together by mixing one of the best screamers since Axl Rose with a half decent rapper. If only JayZ was in Linkn Park instead.

flippy
07-15-2010, 01:32 PM
SLipknot is something you really have to like. You just can't blend in or carry over form metal/rock. You have to like the whole package. If you do, like me, you really put them up there. As far as Manson, if you don't like the frontman or the "aura" that seems to engulf the whole band...You have to like the product if you like metal/rock. I don't know how many times I heard people say, "Wow, That's a great song! Who sings it?" Once they know it is Manson...They don't like it. They have an ear for rock/metal but "Manson" turns them away. Zombie has the same feel.

The whole package is definitely the point with these 3.

I see Zombie and Manson in a totally different class than Slipknot. They have mega talented bands. I see Slipknot as the Kiss of this generation.

I've always loved Zombie. But that dude is f'd in the head. I woulndn't recommend his horror flick to anyone. Sick dude. I seriously worry about him walking the streets with the stuff in his mind. But they've never turned me off as a band.

Manson's problem is he's a guy into androgyny that came along way too early. I don't think American culture is ready for that for at least another decade or 2. We needed Lady Gaga androgyny before Manson. I know it doesn't seem right, but women and men don't seem to mind lesbians that much. It's harmless fun. But no one wants to think about the act between 2 guys. Yuck! My buddy that opened for Manson long ago has told me Manson is the biggest nerd he's ever met and his schtick is a complete made up act. He also always says even though he hated the lead singer, the band is one of the most talented groups of guys out there and I agree.

Slipknot just seems like a bunch of cool guys everyone is friends with. This is the band we'd be if we started a band. They really seem to connect with their fans. And they went the gimmick route a la Kiss. And just like Kiss, they aren't the most talented musicians in the world, but they're just a decent band to listen to with middle of the road songs for their genre that are catchy if you like their music. But you know these are the coolest guys of these 3 bands by a mile. I give them major kudos for their Duality video. That's really killer what they did there. And really just makes them average Joes like you or I. It's really one of my favorite videos of all time. Even though their costumes are gimmicky, there a real authenticity of the band in that video and I'd go as far to say it should be studied in B schools.

RuthlessBurgher
07-15-2010, 02:09 PM
I had a crush when I was younger on the lead singer of the Bangles. I also like Kylie Minogue (for her cuteness not her music), Elisabeth Shue, and Virginia Madsen back then. Unfortunately I never met any of them, so who knows if they're skanks or not in person :lol

You can have Minogue and Madsen. I'll take Susanna Hoffs and Elisabeth Shue. Deal?

cruzer8
07-15-2010, 02:35 PM
SLipknot is something you really have to like. You just can't blend in or carry over form metal/rock. You have to like the whole package. If you do, like me, you really put them up there. As far as Manson, if you don't like the frontman or the "aura" that seems to engulf the whole band...You have to like the product if you like metal/rock. I don't know how many times I heard people say, "Wow, That's a great song! Who sings it?" Once they know it is Manson...They don't like it. They have an ear for rock/metal but "Manson" turns them away. Zombie has the same feel.

I see Zombie and Manson in a totally different class than Slipknot. They have mega talented bands. I see Slipknot as the Kiss of this generation.

I've always loved Zombie. But that dude is f'd in the head. I woulndn't recommend his horror flick to anyone. Sick dude. I seriously worry about him walking the streets with the stuff in his mind. But they've never turned me off as a band.

Manson's problem is he's a guy into androgyny that came along way too early. I don't think American culture is ready for that for at least another decade or 2. We needed Lady Gaga androgyny before Manson. I know it doesn't seem right, but women and men don't seem to mind lesbians that much. It's harmless fun. But no one wants to think about the act between 2 guys. Yuck! My buddy that opened for Manson long ago has told me Manson is the biggest nerd he's ever met and his schtick is a complete made up act. He also always says even though he hated the lead singer, the band is one of the most talented groups of guys out there and I agree.

Slipknot just seems like a bunch of cool guys everyone is friends with. This is the band we'd be if we started a band. They really seem to connect with their fans. And they went the gimmick route a la Kiss. And just like Kiss, they aren't the most talented musicians in the world, but they're just a decent band to listen to with middle of the road songs for their genre that are catchy if you like their music. But you know these are the coolest guys of these 3 bands by a mile. I give them major kudos for their Duality video. That's really killer what they did there. And really just makes them average Joes like you or I. It's really one of my favorite videos of all time. Even though their costumes are gimmicky, there a real authenticity of the band in that video and I'd go as far to say it should be studied in B schools.

David Bowie was doing androgeny a long, long time ago. Well before Manson was even old enough to pronounce androgeny.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
07-15-2010, 03:11 PM

Well said Flip. Here is a good comparison.

SLIPKNOT = STEELERS

Would they be the "Blue Collar" Band of the generation?

kiwi_sarah
07-15-2010, 07:40 PM
I know a guy who played in a band that opened for Manson before he became famous. Said the guy was the biggest douche (not tastic) on the planet. Never nice to anyone. But said the guys in the band were really cool. And he was around him all the time.

I like Manson's music. Hate his live voice.

I've got strange taste in music. I like most every style besides most country. From classical to rock to punk to metal to showtunes to jazz to blues to rap to pop. I can find something for any mood.

I was listening a lot of the Wicked Soundtrack, Blue October, and Panic at the Disco today. It was like Peanut Butter and Jelly. It was all jiving with my inspired feelings of the day.

Tomorrow I think I'm gonna listen to Public Enemy and Cypress Hill. I've been craving some Public Enemy cause I was thinking about how the Pittsburgh Pirate hate became so popular today and the first person I can remember seeing wearing it outside of Pittsburgh fans was Chuck D. Their political agenda sometimes gets on my nerves, so I figure balancing it out with rap from a bunch of potheads oughta do the trick. Then again, I usually listen to Cypress Hill and Outkast and that's some great PB&J right there. I may need something else for PE. Maybe I'll go Anthrax since they did that song together.

Come to think of it, that song was the pioneer and inspiration for the 6 or 7 songs JayZ and LinknPark mixed together a few years back. And I've been listening to JZ/LP every other day at the gym for the last 3 weeks. It's time to pay homage to PE and Anthrax. That's what I'll do. I'm glad I posted and came up with this. Yes!!!!!

I like artists that push mixing different instruments/styles. Wasn't it Metallica that first mixed a lot of symphony orchestra with rock? I miss them. I've really stopped listening to them since they became complete douches about free music. I haven't seen them live since the toured with GNR.

A couple more music tidbits while I'm on a roll.

Here's a couple of the best concerts I've seen that I didn't expect at all: Debbie Gibson in the mall (She was real and not manufactured music at all), John Mayer(best performer I've ever seen, his opening act showed up late, so he opened for his opening act and never left the stage for 6 or 7 hours. I thought this guy was the lamest person on earth until I saw him. Changed my impression 180 degrees), and Nickleback (their songs irritate me worse than any other musician ever, but they were great live. They were an opening act for 2 other bands at the time and we saw them by accident. I would have refused to go early if I knew they were there).

I did meet Cindy Crawford and Brooke Shields in my younger days and I'm still convinced to this day those are the 2 best looking Celebs I've ever seen and know exactly why they are both so famous. Cindy had her hair tucked up in a baseball cap and had sunglasses on when I ran into her and I remember her skin looked like she was an airbrushed pic of herself. Not a single blemish. It was weird.

How did I stray so far off topic??????? I'm getting all nostalgic talking about music I guess.

I love PATD & Linkin Park.

I wanna live in your head Flip, just for a day. It'd be a trip. And I say that in the most open-hearted, sincere way - you make me smile!

flippy
07-15-2010, 11:36 PM

You can have Minogue and Madsen. I'll take Susanna Hoffs and Elisabeth Shue. Deal?

No deal. I prefer Hoffs and Shue too. :D

flippy
07-15-2010, 11:39 PM
David Bowie was doing androgeny a long, long time ago. Well before Manson was even old enough to pronounce androgeny.

But he was British and they don't have the hang ups Americans do.

flippy
07-15-2010, 11:43 PM
Well said Flip. Here is a good comparison.

SLIPKNOT = STEELERS

Would they be the "Blue Collar" Band of the generation?

I can dig that.

But as far as musical talent goes, I'd probably compare them to the 1980 US Hockey team. Not the best in the world, but they still won.

flippy
07-15-2010, 11:46 PM
I wanna live in your head Flip, just for a day. It'd be a trip. And I say that in the most open-hearted, sincere way - you make me smile!

Well let's shrink you up and get you in there. You're pretty cool for a girl ;) I'm sure we'd get along just fine.

stlrz d
07-16-2010, 08:11 AM

I was thinking of them being the first concert that incorporated symphony music throughout their entire show. Something sticks out in my head that it was really prominent.

Just like I know people have mixed rock and rap prior to Linkn Park, but they stand out more as the band that really brought it together by mixing one of the best screamers since Axl Rose with a half decent rapper. If only JayZ was in Linkn Park instead.

Nah, that was still done long before Metallica. I suspect the reason it was prominent is because it's not something people thought Metallica would ever do.

Leper Friend
07-16-2010, 08:25 AM
Nickelback, Tool, and some others would be fightin it out.
Putting Nickleback with Tool in any list is sacrilege.

flippy
07-16-2010, 08:54 AM
Nickelback, Tool, and some others would be fightin it out.
Putting Nickleback with Tool in any list is sacrilege.

Putting Nickleback with Miley Cyrus is an insult to Miley. :wink

I saw them live with 3 Doors Down and surprising it was a great show. 3DD is as close to country music that I like.

cruzer8
07-16-2010, 10:24 AM

But he had an awful lot of hits over here. People didn't have a problem buying his records despite the androgeny.

flippy
07-16-2010, 11:24 AM

But he had an awful lot of hits over here. People didn't have a problem buying his records despite the androgeny.

Maybe people were high back then and didn't notice ;)

RuthlessBurgher
07-16-2010, 11:53 AM

Unlike Manson, Bowie could sing. I still listen to Bowie's stuff today. Plus, Ziggy could play guitar as well.

flippy
07-16-2010, 11:58 AM

Here's a glimpse of what is inspiring me today:

[youtube:3w38jjhy]dJgZnFTSGrc&feature=channel[/youtube:3w38jjhy]

One of the best bands. Their lyrics are some of the best ever. I'm moved every time I listen to them. This is their best song by a mile and I think it might be a love song (eww). This album is one of my favorites of all time. It so emotional it makes other musicians seem like amateurs. Are you strong enough to tell someone to hate you? It's so raw. :Bow

[youtube:3w38jjhy]V2DxJW6ytSs&feature=related[/youtube:3w38jjhy]

One of the coolest bands that never made it really big. I think Will.i.am should drop the rest of the Black Eyed Peas and merge with Flipsyde. I don't even know why I waste time thinking about things like that, but I'm always thinking of the next peanut butter and chocolate. I prefer their song Someday, but I'm into raw emotion today and Happy Birthday is as open and honest as it gets.

[youtube:3w38jjhy]7T1E1aI95Ro[/youtube:3w38jjhy]

I've never met anyone other than myself that thinks this is Michael's best song. But something about it just makes me feel better when I hear it. Don't let someone else's "why" hold you back. Live your human nature and don't let these 4 walls hold you back tonight. Do something different that you wouldn't normally do. Be bold! Be different! Get out of your comfort zone and tomorrow will be better.

[youtube:3w38jjhy]LukEq643Mk[/youtube:3w38jjhy]

I've been meaning to listen to more Jewel since she went undercover at a karaoke bar recently (hilarious):
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/4a87d48fdd/undercover-karaoke-with-jewel
This song inspires me to act. She has the voice of an angel. So unique. And when I hear this song, I'm reminded how paralyzed we are sometimes. It's good to be reminded we need a kick in the pants.

I'm not sure why I always feel the need to listen to multiple artists together. But for some reason I see these symbiotic relationships between various artists. And somehow stacking songs together gives them all more depth and meaning. I guess it's like eating steak and potatoes together. And sometimes you want asparagus and other times a mushroom risotto sounds better.

I know I'm odd as heck, but FlipSyde, Blue October, Michael Jackson, and Jewel are my hearty breakfast for the day. And I'm ready to take on the day.

I keep feeling inspired this week. I guess it's a good week.

RuthlessBurgher
07-16-2010, 12:06 PM
I've been meaning to listen to more Jewel since she went undercover at a karaoke bar recently (hilarious):

Weird...I just saw the Jewel Undercover karaoke thing for the first time yesterday (when I was looking for a link to the Immortal Dog video for our Neverending Make Me Laugh Thread).

cruzer8
07-16-2010, 12:09 PM

Unlike Manson, Bowie could sing. I still listen to Bowie's stuff today. Plus, Ziggy could play guitar as well.

But where were the Spiders?

As a side note, David Bowie is the guy who gave Stevie Ray Vaughan his biggest break. Bowie heard him at the Montreaux Jazz Festival and nabbed him to play guitar on his Let's Dance album.

flippy
07-16-2010, 12:43 PM

Weird...I just saw the Jewel Undercover karaoke thing for the first time yesterday (when I was looking for a link to the Immortal Dog video for our Neverending Make Me Laugh Thread).

I was gonna post it over there if I could figure out how to embedd a video from FunnyorDie. I just realized that's Will Ferrell's website.

Here's another I found strangely amusing:
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/716edf ... &rel_pos=4 (http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/716edf1a4a/perverts-spy-on-hot-girl-from-fod-team-and-brian-huskey?rel=by_user&rel_pos=4)