Shawn
07-09-2010, 05:54 PM
Which was worse in 2009?

The Steelers short yardage running game

or

The Steelers short yardage defense?

RuthlessBurgher
07-09-2010, 06:29 PM
The short yardage running game was pretty much consistently bad last year.

The short yardage defense was pretty good through three quarters of the game last year, and then seemed to go to crap in the fourth.

So I guess that makes the running game worse.

And I doubt it gets much better this season, because the addition of Pouncey and subtraction of Colon pretty much cancel each other out, while our short yardage defense should improve this year with the return of Aaron Smith and Troy Polamalu.

jj28west
07-09-2010, 07:33 PM
Which was worse in 2009?

The Steelers short yardage running game

I would love to see that stats on this one. On 3rd/4th down and 1 yard or less to go what was our conversion efficiency? We had to be at the bottom on this stat since Jerome retired. Some claim personel (Russel, Davenport, dont know who was our goto guy in 2009) was the reason. Blame who you want but our formations were predictable and there were times that it looked like the other team cheated when they attacked the Oline and RB.

If a simple fan like me could see it coming on TV then what does that do to the opposition that watches scouting films of our tendencies?

Ozey74
07-09-2010, 09:46 PM
The 3rd down defense played like a$$ regardless of the yardage. I remember thinking to myself when when it was 3rd & 6 or 3rd & 11 that the Steelers weren't going to be able to hold our opponent from getting a 1st down & being disappointed alot.

Shawn
07-10-2010, 01:11 AM
The 3rd down defense played like a$$ regardless of the yardage. I remember thinking to myself when when it was 3rd & 6 or 3rd & 11 that the Steelers weren't going to be able to hold our opponent from getting a 1st down & being disappointed alot.

Ozey so far you are the closest. Our short yardage run D was stank. Smith being gone couldn't have helped that situation.

What might surprise some is that our short yardage running was pretty good. It just wasn't good in the redzone. I know...I'm as surprised as you all. :)

jj28west
07-10-2010, 08:13 AM
From between the 20 yard line I thought we were efficient in moving the ball. Once inside the rezone, 15, 10, 5, 1 yard line it was a different story...especially on 3rd down and short. Hopefully BA will have them working on this alot more. Was it Redman that actually scored last year against the 1st string D at camp during goaline drills?

stlrz d
07-10-2010, 09:46 AM
From between the 20 yard line I thought we were efficient in moving the ball. Once inside the rezone, 15, 10, 5, 1 yard line it was a different story...especially on 3rd down and short. Hopefully BA will have them working on this alot more. Was it Redman that actually scored last year against the 1st string D at camp during goaline drills?

Yes. And he also got a chewing out from Clark and Harrison for showboating after scoring when the offense KNEW the defense was running the same play SEVEN times in a row.

It's not as tough to find the treasure when you have a map with a big X on it. ;)

RuthlessBurgher
07-10-2010, 11:00 AM
It's not as tough to find the treasure when you have a map with a big X on it. ;)

That why New England has 3 Super Bowl rings during the Spygate era and none since then.

http://nbcsportsmedia.msnbc.com/j/msnbc/Components/Slideshows/_production/ss_071212_patriots_toons/071212_patriots_toons_1.300w.jpg

Shawn
07-10-2010, 02:37 PM

$$$

flippy
07-12-2010, 01:48 PM
I'm going with our rushing game.

If we could run better, the defense would stay off the field and be fresher into the 4th quarter. Plus, why stop the other team when the offense isn't going to be able to convert any way.

ikestops85
07-12-2010, 03:28 PM
I thought our 3rd and LONG defense was horrible last year. Especially in the 4th quarter. I kept hoping other teams would get in a 3rd and short and actually try and run against us. We had a chance of stopping them then.

The only thing worse than our 3rd and long defense was our red zone offense. Short ... long, it didn't make a difference. With all the weapons on that team we were pathetic in that area.

proudpittsburgher
07-14-2010, 11:40 AM
To me, it has to be the third and short defense . . . simply because if your third/fourth and short running game is bad, you have other options . . . you can pass the ball. Still pick up the first down someway. It isn't a dealbreaker. If your third down defense is bad, well, nothing you are going to do is going to help, and it proved to be the Steelers demise in a number of close games last year, notably the two losses to the Bungles.

NC Steeler Fan
07-14-2010, 11:55 AM
I thought our 3rd and LONG defense was horrible last year. Especially in the 4th quarter. I kept hoping other teams would get in a 3rd and short and actually try and run against us. We had a chance of stopping them then.

The only thing worse than our 3rd and long defense was our red zone offense. Short ... long, it didn't make a difference. With all the weapons on that team we were pathetic in that area.

I agree 100%. I remember all too clearly thinking:

"3rd and 15? Easy pick up on us. Great hit AFTER the catch though, you watch. I wish they'd run it."

Dee Dub
07-14-2010, 08:07 PM

Ozey so far you are the closest. Our short yardage run D was stank. Smith being gone couldn't have helped that situation.

What might surprise some is that our short yardage running was pretty good. It just wasn't good in the redzone. I know...I'm as surprised as you all. :)

Yeah but the offense wasnt missing two key starters as the defense was. One in particular who is regarded as one of the games best run-stuffers.

So with that I would give the D a little bit of a mulligan on that one. :wink: