PDA

View Full Version : Planet Steelers Fantasy League?

DrCalculus
07-07-2010, 11:38 PM
Are we doing the league again this year? Is Jooser around to run it? If not, does someone else want to take over as commissioner?

D Rock
07-08-2010, 08:48 AM
If you want to do it on Yahoo I could run it. I've done it there a few years before and know enough to make it legit.

I would just need consensus on what we want the positions/points to be.

costanza2k1
07-08-2010, 03:11 PM
I'm good with Yahoo or CBS sports

RuthlessBurgher
07-08-2010, 03:34 PM
I'm in....I've been in one of the PlanetSteelers leagues each of the past 2 seasons. It's fun. I believe we used Yahoo last year, but whatever everyone likes works for me (the league I'm in at work uses FOXsports if I recall correctly). I think 2 years ago we had 3 leagues going on simultaneously.

I like a 16 man roster with one starting QB, 2 RB, 2 RB, 1 RB/WR flex, 1 TE, 1 K, and 1 D/ST and a 7 man bench (so you could carry 2 QB, 5 RB, 5 WR, 2 TE, 1 K, and 1 D/ST or something to that effect).

I like 6 points for all TD's, 1 point for every 10 yards rushing or receiving, and 1 point for every 20 (or 25) yards passing. No points for return yardage (only return TD's). You lose a point or two if one of your offensive guys fumbles away the ball or throws a pick, and gain a point or two if your D/ST recovers a fumble, intercepts the ball, sacks the QB, etc. Give your D/ST some extra points for holding a team to single digits, and penalize them by taking away some points if they allow 30 or more, for instance. You can tack on bonus points for longer FG's...Pretty standard stuff.

ikestops85
07-08-2010, 03:40 PM
I'm in....I've been in one of the PlanetSteelers leagues each of the past 2 seasons. It's fun. I believe we used Yahoo last year, but whatever everyone likes works for me (the league I'm in at work uses FOXsports if I recall correctly). I think 2 years ago we had 3 leagues going on simultaneously.

I like a 16 man roster with one starting QB, 2 RB, 2 RB, 1 RB/WR flex, 1 TE, 1 K, and 1 D/ST and a 7 man bench (so you could carry 2 QB, 5 RB, 5 WR, 2 TE, 1 K, and 1 D/ST or something to that effect).

I like 6 points for all TD's, 1 point for every 10 yards rushing or receiving, and 1 point for every 20 (or 25) yards passing. No points for return yardage (only return TD's). You lose a point or two if one of your offensive guys fumbles away the ball or throws a pick, and gain a point or two if your D/ST recovers a fumble, intercepts the ball, sacks the QB, etc. Give your D/ST some extra points for holding a team to single digits, and penalize them by taking away some points if they allow 30 or more, for instance. You can tack on bonus points for longer FG's...Pretty standard stuff.

Well aren't you just full of rules and regulations!! :moon :lol: :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
07-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Well aren't you just full of rules and regulations!! :moon :lol: :lol:

:Hater :moon :lol:

D Rock said that we need consensus on what we want the positions/points to be, so I figured I'd start us off with some suggestions for everyone to discuss and/or tweek.

D Rock
07-08-2010, 04:47 PM
I am personally a fan of using individual defensive players. It adds a whole lot more intrigue and roster management to the game.

I'll go ahead and make a league and then post some details here. I can update the positions/points at any time if we elect to go that route.

Iron Shiek
07-08-2010, 04:55 PM
I'm in. I won one of the leagues 2 years ago. I honestly don't remember what happened last year, which means I must not have done too well.

I'm flexible with rules/points. Never done a IDP league before, always wanted to try one, so that don't matter to me either.

D Rock
07-08-2010, 05:16 PM
alright I set up a league on Yahoo

Planet Steelers
ID# 123090

Let me know if you want to join and I'll send you the password. 16 teams. All other details can be found after you join by going to the league home page and clicking the 'scoring and settings' tab.

11 slots currently available assuming all parties sent the password join.

IN: D Rock

Awaiting confirmation: Ruthless, Calculus, Costanza, IronShiek

SteelAbility
07-08-2010, 05:38 PM
I'm in. I'd like to see some simulated defense, though, where your D's performance scales the other guys point totals. If your D plays poorly, then your opponents point total gets pumped up. If your D plays well then your opponents point total gets deflated.

It's a bit complicatd but here's the idea of simulated D:

1. Your opponents' offensive point total gets multiplied by a scaling factor, which is based on your D's performance. Determining this scaling factor is the complicated part.

2. To calculate your D's scaling number, you use the number of points your D gave up to their opponent and divide by that opponent's average points per game (over, say, the last 5 regular season games). At the beginning of the season you use the last 5 games from the previous season for each O's "baseline average."

So, let's say, it's Week 7. Your D is Denver. Denver plays Indianapolis and allows 21 points. In weeks 2 through 6, Indianapolis scored 37, 24, 28, 17, and 27 points, respectively. Their average for those five weeks is (37+24+28+17+27)/5 = 133/5 = 26.6.

Your scaling factor is 21/26.6 = 0.789. Your opponents fantasy offense scored 105 points (using, say, Ruthless' rules). Your opponents' FINAL score is 105 x 0.789 = 82.845. Your D helped you out here!!! Just like in REAL football. The Indy offense has a new average: (24+28+17+27+21)/5 = 117/5 = 23.4. This average applies to the next team's D that they play in Week 8.

Your opponent has the Chicago D who played Philadelphia. Philadelphia scored 21, 17, 24, 10, and 13 in weeks 2 through 6. Philly's average is (21+17+24+10+13)/5 = 85/5 = 17. Chicago gave up 27 points in the game. Your opponents' scaling factor is 27/17 = 1.588. Your fantasy O scored 65 points. Your final score is 65 x 1.588 = 103.2. Philadelphia's new average is: (17+24+10+13+27)/5 = 91/5 = 18.2. This average applies to the next team's D that they play in Week 8.

So, because your D rocked and your opponnents' sucked, you win the matchup, just like REAL football.

:2c

I'd LOVE to do the simulated D, but will go for any agreed-upon format. Simulated D suddenly moves D way up the draft order.

SteelAbility
07-08-2010, 05:56 PM
IN and confirmed. Simulated D or no. :D

RuthlessBurgher
07-08-2010, 05:56 PM
I'm in. I won one of the leagues 2 years ago. I honestly don't remember what happened last year, which means I must not have done too well.

I'm flexible with rules/points. Never done a IDP league before, always wanted to try one, so that don't matter to me either.

I won one of the other league two years ago (not sure who won Chadman's league that year). I didn't win last year either, but I was just following standard Steeler protocol lately of following up a championship season with a craptastic season.

I've never done an IDP league or a deep 16 teamer either, so this should be interesting.

As for SteelAbility's suggestion, it is interesting, but I don't think that Yahoo would be able to calculate something like that for us for free (I may be wrong, but I doubt it). It is also difficult to keep track of while the games are going on...when I'm at Heinz they put individual player stats from around the NFL in addition to scores from other games, so when I see that Andre Johnson has 120 yards and 2 TD's, I can say "Cool! AJ got me 24 points!" Using that formula makes it more difficult to determine where you stand at a glance unless you were right in front of your computer and could do the calculations.

At some point, I want to try an auction league too, because I've only ever done snake. I've never done a point-per-reception league either. Basically, I'm a wuss that keeps joining leagues that I am used to because I am good at it. This should be a refreshing change of pace, though.

RuthlessBurgher
07-08-2010, 06:17 PM
Okay, I am signed in on Yahoo. :tt2 :Steel :tt1

One question from a first-time IDP player...Here is how our rosters will look:

QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/R, K, DEF, D, DB, DL, LB, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN

I'm assuming that DEF is a team defense like we are all used to in our regular leagues.

DB is a defensive back, DL is a defensive lineman, and LB is a linebacker...we have to start one of each of those each week. Got it.

But what does just "D" stand for? Is that a 4th IDP start that is flex player from any level of a defense (for example, I could start 1 DL, 1 DB, and 2 LB's...with a 2nd LB as my D flex?) I might be totally wrong about this...just guessing. Enlighten me.

D Rock
07-08-2010, 06:22 PM
You nailed it Ruthless. You get one flex player that can be any position on the defense.

all of these roster spots and points are subject to change of course. I was just setting up a general outline to start from. I've never done 16 teams either. It should definitely make things interesting as far as depth of rosters goes.

IDP is the way to go.

Signed up:

D Rock
Ruthless
Constanza

Password sent:

Shiek
Ability
Calculus

Still 10 openings left.

D Rock
07-08-2010, 06:24 PM
Oh and one other thing...

I set it up for now as an auction style draft. I've never done one of these either but it could be fun to see how people bid and spend their 'money' on different players/positions.

That can easily be changed as well if we don't want to go that route.

RuthlessBurgher
07-08-2010, 06:36 PM
Cool, thanks D.

With 16 teams, pickings will be getting thin as we move into the 2nd half of the draft (16 teams X 20 rounds = a long draft, but I like it). However, because we have to pick individual defensive players in addition to offensive players, that changes things, because we may not carry as much offensive depth since we will likely need defensive depth as well.

For instance, in my typical non-IDP league, I usually carry the following:

2 QB, 5 RB, 5 WR, 2 TE, 1 K, 1 DEF

However, with this league, in order to have IDP backups available on my roster, I may have to carry one less RB and WR:

2 QB, 4 RB, 4 WR, 2 TE, 1 K, 1 DEF, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB

Do teams in IDP league typically carry a starter and backup at each defensive position like this in lieu of extra RB's or WR's, so they have 4 IDP's as starters on a given week and 2 IDP backups?

One other thought...if all 16 teams carry 2 QB's on our rosters, then every starting QB in the NFL will be accounted for (since there are 32 NFL teams, and 16 X 2 = 32). I already can't wait for the mocking when someone takes Jake Delhomme, QB, Cleveland to be their backup fantasy QB. :lol:

:brownssuck

D Rock
07-08-2010, 07:15 PM
that's why I love IDP leagues.

You can't just carry a ton of depth through the season and put guys in and out at will. You have to draft for bye weeks. You have to make the tough decisions and drop/pick up players a lot of times. This league is in no way is dependent on how well someone drafts, but much more on how they manage their roster on a week to week basis.

Is it worth dropping Lawrence Timmons during the bye week to pick up a lesser statistical player just for that week and try to secure a win? Do you drop your kicker that week to hold on to Timmons for the season?

You very well may need to drop good players or play an empty spot in your roster. Who knows?!?!

DrCalculus
07-08-2010, 08:31 PM
OK, I'm in: Psycho Ward

I would like to make a couple of comments after last years Jooser Mountain Momma League:

Most of the scoring that Ruthless mentioned seems about right. Jooser had the bonuses set way too high for eclipsing 100 and 150 yds for receivers and backs.

1 pt every 10 yds rush/receive
5 pt bonus for hitting 100 yds
additional 5 pt bonus for every 100 yds thereafter

1 pt for every 20 yds passing
5 pt bonus for hitting 300 yds
additional 5 pt bonus for every 100 yds thereafter

The rest of Ruthless' suggestions seemed pretty consistent with what we had last year.

I also like a PPR league, but that always seems to overcompensate for the WR. Maybe 1 point for every 2 catches?

If we're using DEF as a position, is that really Special Teams? Or do we play a team defense AND IDPs? I'd also suggest 1 pt for every 50 return yds. It gives some more points to ST without skewing the score for someone who had a couple long returns.

16 owners is going to be a huge league. I always prefer 12. For one it's hard to get 16 owners lined up for the same draft day, and for two there will be NO depth at all, even with IDP on rosters. Get ready for your starting RB to be Willie Parker during one of those 6 team bye weeks. If we have to start 2, with 6 teams off, that means there are only 26 possible starting RB that week. And 16 owners each needing 2 means we need 32 RB.

Which brings me to my other point: Based on the number of people who missed the draft last year, due to living in different parts of the world or having vastly different work schedules, I just don't see an auction working. Anyone who misses it will be left with crap. At least if you have a standard draft, Yahoo lets you set your rankings and use the autodraft and usually you have a decent team. I can't say the same will happen with an auction.

Chadman
07-09-2010, 12:00 AM
Who won Jooser's Mountain Mama League last season?

Any guesses?

Chadman
07-09-2010, 12:03 AM
Any spots remaining?

SteelCrazy
07-09-2010, 12:18 AM
I'd like to join.......

Shawn
07-09-2010, 12:33 AM
I would like to be play this year with you guys.

Iron Shiek
07-09-2010, 07:55 AM
I'd like to agree with the good Dr on two points:

- 50 return yards = 1 point (heck I'd even say 25 return yards). With the depth we are going to need, this helps. During byes, you might get stuck without a rb, but if you can find a guy that returns kicks, he'd be a nice plug. I'd even say a return td should be 6 points for the returning player as well.

- Auction - very unlikely that 16 people will be able to participate at the same time to conduct it. I love auctions and haven't done one in a while, but like DrC said, a handful of teams will be left with shiite thus skewing the league.

:2c

D Rock
07-09-2010, 08:09 AM
I was worried the auction wouldn't work too. I just signed up for it because it can be easily changed. We will most likely go with a live draft and players who can not attend will be expected to set their draft boards through Yahoo beforehand. DO NOT trust Yahoo to draft for you from their rankings. You will end up with players like Larry Izzo as your starting LB.

Return yards are already put in. I set it at 40 yds = 1 pt, with a TD at 6 pts

Other key point values:

Passing 30 yds = 1 pt, TD = 4 pts
Rushing 12yds = 1 pt, TD = 6 pts
Receiving 10 yds = 1 pt, Td = 6 pts

no bonuses for reaching certain landmark yardage totals per game

I put rushing at 12 to balance out RBs and WRs a little better for the depth issue. In my mind at least a 120 yd rushing game is as common as a 100 yd receiving game.

The IDP point values may need some tweaking still. I have had years where things were set too high and IDP players were getting upwards 40 pts on a great but not earth shattering game. While that isn't unheard of for star offensive players, IDPs are more so a tweak to roster not to completely shift the balance of point power from offense to defense.

Signed up:

D Rock
Ruthless
Calculus
Constanza
Unknown player going by AllUBsTakeMyShots...SteelAbility?

Password sent:

Shawn
Chad
SteelCrazy
Asian
Shiek

6 spots remain!

Chadman
07-09-2010, 10:57 AM
The Aussies are in to steal your FF comp & your women...

proudpittsburgher
07-09-2010, 11:01 AM
I'd like to get in if you still have spots remaining.

SteelAbility
07-09-2010, 12:46 PM
I was worried the auction wouldn't work too. I just signed up for it because it can be easily changed. We will most likely go with a live draft and players who can not attend will be expected to set their draft boards through Yahoo beforehand. DO NOT trust Yahoo to draft for you from their rankings. You will end up with players like Larry Izzo as your starting LB.

Other key point values:

I put rushing at 12 to balance out RBs and WRs a little better for the depth issue. In my mind at least a 120 yd rushing game is as common as a 100 yd receiving game.

The IDP point values may need some tweaking still. I have had years where things were set too high and IDP players were getting upwards 40 pts on a great but not earth shattering game. While that isn't unheard of for star offensive players, IDPs are more so a tweak to roster not to completely shift the balance of point power from offense to defense.

Signed up:

D Rock
Ruthless
Calculus
Constanza

Password sent:

Shawn
Chad
SteelCrazy
Asian
Shiek

6 spots remain!

Yup. That's me. :P I can change that name if anyone is offended by it. :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
07-09-2010, 01:47 PM

Other key point values:

Signed up:

D Rock
Ruthless
Calculus
Constanza

Password sent:

Shawn
Chad
SteelCrazy
Asian
Shiek

6 spots remain!

Just don't be offended if I accuse you of sexual assault if your team happens to beat mine this season. :wink:

D Rock
07-10-2010, 04:16 PM
come on folks we need a few more players still

AngryAsian
07-11-2010, 07:40 PM
Okay ladies... get a move on it. There are some more roster spots to fill.

D Rock
07-11-2010, 09:18 PM
I've sent 10 passwords through PM.

That's 11 players including myself, meaning two have still yet to sign up.

I lowered the max teams to 12. That should help with depth, and, well....it doesn't look like we would have filled 16 anyways.

ONLY 1 SPOT REMAINS!

SteelAbility
07-12-2010, 08:40 AM

Other key point values:

Signed up:

D Rock
Ruthless
Calculus
Constanza

Password sent:

Shawn
Chad
SteelCrazy
Asian
Shiek

6 spots remain!

Just don't be offended if I accuse you of sexual assault if your team happens to beat mine this season. :wink:

Neither of those happening would surprise me. :moon :mrgreen:

Shawn
07-12-2010, 02:03 PM
I just signed up. Thanks for the invite. Any interest in putting money on this guys?

Chadman
07-14-2010, 07:41 PM
Still no guesses on who won Jooser's league last year?

eniparadoxgma
07-14-2010, 10:15 PM
If you need another I'll play. If not, you guys got off lucky. 8)

fordfixer
07-14-2010, 11:13 PM

I don't think it was me. However the only game I won was against you :P

eniparadoxgma
07-15-2010, 04:38 PM
Signed up. You guys can call me 3D. I couldn't fit "Dox's Douchetastic and DTF Destroyers" in. :-(

Think we still need one more.

Maybe we can get Kiwi to give it a go. She kicked ass in the FF league I was in last year (although I beat her :tt2 ).

Chadman
07-15-2010, 06:05 PM

I don't think it was me. However the only game I won was against you :P

Give you a clue- check the "Managers" list, click on each 'manager' & find their FF history... :Beer

D Rock
07-15-2010, 06:41 PM
I believe there is still one person out there who I have given the password to but who hasn't registered.

It's been about a week though, so anyone else who wants to take the last technically open spot is welcomed to it. Just reply here or PM me.

kiwi_sarah
07-15-2010, 07:15 PM
Signed up. You guys can call me 3D. I couldn't fit "Dox's Douchetastic and DTF Destroyers" in. :-(

Maybe we can get Kiwi to give it a go. She kicked bad word in the FF league I was in last year (although I beat her :tt2 ).

Ha! I could've been undefeated if it wasn't for you! I totally won the league! If I had to go down though....

kiwi_sarah
07-15-2010, 07:16 PM
I believe there is still one person out there who I have given the password to but who hasn't registered.

It's been about a week though, so anyone else who wants to take the last technically open spot is welcomed to it. Just reply here or PM me.

If it's still open, count me in. Will PM you.

Diff format from what I'm used too, but I can temper all the testosterone floating around at least! :Boobs

eniparadoxgma
07-15-2010, 07:56 PM

Maybe we can get Kiwi to give it a go. She kicked bad word in the FF league I was in last year (although I beat her :tt2 ).

Ha! I could've been undefeated if it wasn't for you! I totally won the league! If I had to go down though....

That one's entirely too easy.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

kiwi_sarah
07-15-2010, 08:02 PM

That one's entirely too easy.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

First time anyone ever called me "That one" :D

kiwi_sarah
07-15-2010, 08:08 PM
I'm in. I play dirty. I'm not above using my feminine wiles to win ego-boosting online competitions. Watch your backs boys, you've been warned!

D Rock
07-16-2010, 08:32 PM
It was Iron Sheik who hadn't registered. Something about vacation...I don't know. He got his panties all in a twist so I upped the league maximum to 14 teams.
:Boobs

Still looking for one more player! Again.

Chadman
07-16-2010, 10:09 PM
Hahaha...so now you Yanks have to worry about getting your ass kicked by Aussies & Kiwis??

Shawn
07-17-2010, 12:23 PM
Hahaha...so now you Yanks have to worry about getting your bad word kicked by Aussies & Kiwis??

Puleez. :D

Iron Shiek
07-19-2010, 03:06 PM
It was Iron Sheik who hadn't registered. Something about vacation...I don't know. He got his panties all in a twist so I upped the league maximum to 14 teams.
:Boobs

Still looking for one more player! Again.

That's it....I hope you are my week 1 opponent...for your sake you better hope so too. Letting my feelings towards your franchise fester for multiple weeks will only provide a more negative result for your team. May football gods have mercy on your soul. :Steel

RuthlessBurgher
07-21-2010, 01:39 PM
Okay, folks...D Rock upped the max to 14 to accommodate both Iron Shiek and kiwi_sarah. We now have 13 players locked in...who is man enough to take that 14th spot?

Chadman
07-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Do we have a 14th team yet??

Or are the rest of the board to scaredy pants to have a go?

pfelix73
07-24-2010, 01:02 PM
OK- well, I'm in if there's an extra spot...

:tt1

Let me know the particulars. pw, etc.

Iron Shiek
07-24-2010, 06:17 PM
way to step up pfelix! It took you long enough!

Chadman...you shouldn't have changed your name. that's a bad sign...plus the wombats unleashed doom on everyone last year...

Chadman
07-25-2010, 10:51 AM

Chadman...you shouldn't have changed your name. that's a bad sign...plus the wombats unleashed doom on everyone last year...

It's the Kangaroo's time to shine Sheik.

:Beer

feltdizz
07-25-2010, 12:03 PM
All the spots filled yet?

D Rock
07-25-2010, 12:04 PM
yeah Dizz, we're all filled up now

fordfixer
07-25-2010, 11:26 PM

Ummmm..................Not everyone :tt1

RuthlessBurgher
09-05-2010, 10:56 PM
Just had my draft today for my other fantasy league with guys at work (my money league).

Interestingly enough, I picked 3rd again, so I ended up with a few of the same players that I took in our league. This is a 12 team league with no IDP's. It is a non-PPR league with 6 points for all TD's. The rest of the scoring is pretty standard. We start 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 RB/WR flex, 1 TE, 1 K, and 1 D/ST.

For the first time in our league's history, they instituted a "no-trading" rule, so the only way to improve your team after the draft is through the waiver wire. We had a longer draft that usual (17 rounds) to give teams adequate depth since we cannot trade at all if we suffer devastating injuries.

Even with this extra depth, I still did not draft a backup QB, because I was not thrilled about the options available to me when I was picking. There was a sudden, massive run on back-up QB's while I had one of my 18 pick waits between picks (since I was 3rd), so there were no draft-worthy backup options left where I was comfortable drafting them. I'll have to grab someone off the waiver wire when Romo has his week 4 bye (right now, available free agent QB's are Campbell, Sanchez, Hasselbeck, Freeman, Moore, Bradford, Delhomme, and Edwards).

Other than that, I think I got good depth. I really wanted to take Mike Wallace, and I thought I might be able to take him in the 6th or 7th round, which is why I took Ocho in the 5th instead of Hines (didn't want Hines and Wallace on the same fantasy team). However, I didn't take into account that there is a new guy in the league this year that is a Steeler fan (for years I was the only one), and he snatched up Wallace before Ward, so even though I missed out on Wallace at least I got Hines at good value, I think. I really wanted to get LDT to handcuff Shonn Greene, but he was snatched up one pick before me when I was ready to take him in the mid-rounds. Oh well. Here is my team (with the round I took each player noted):

QB:

4. Tony Romo

RB:

1. Maurice Jones-Drew
2. Shonn Greene
6. Justin Forsett
9. Reggie Bush
10. Darren Sproles
11. Leon Washington

WR:

3. Larry Fitzgerald
5. Chad Ochocinco
7. Hines Ward
12. Lee Evans
13. Laurent Robinson
14. Jacoby Jones

TE:

8. Owen Daniels
15. Jeremy Shockey

K:

17. Jay Feely

D/ST:

16. Cincinnati

How do you folks think I did?

Chadman
09-05-2010, 11:10 PM
Hard to argue with that team Ruthless.

Given that our league has 2 more teams, the talent is more spread in ours. But they are comparable in strength, when you take that into consideration.

Like in our league, Chadman expects your team will be very competitive.

Shame you'll finish no higher than 2nd in our league though... :stirpot