PDA

View Full Version : Dermontti broke as "Dirt"

RussBII
07-02-2010, 12:30 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/02/dermontti-dawson-deals-with-nearly-70-million-in-debt/

Absolute shame.

cruzer8
07-02-2010, 12:34 PM
So many of these guys put their money into real estate thinking it will be a safe investment.

RuthlessBurgher
07-02-2010, 12:38 PM
Hopefully he is able to get a good job as a coach somewhere. He interned with us in camp last year (or was it 2 years ago?) and will be interning in Cincy's training camp this year (I believe he lives near their training camp in Georgetown, KY).

RussBII
07-02-2010, 12:46 PM
Hopefully he is able to get a good job as a coach somewhere. He interned with us in camp last year (or was it 2 years ago?) and will be interning in Cincy's training camp this year (I believe he lives near their training camp in Georgetown, KY).

I think its probably pretty tough to cover 70 million in debts as a new coach...

Jooser
07-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Dude better buy some lott'ry tickets... :wink:

feltdizz
07-02-2010, 12:53 PM
Damn... I went to a scholarship celebration in Lexington KY back in 2005/06 and Dermontti was the keynote speaker.

Everyone was praising his business sense after football.

There is no sure investment besides the boring ones.. where you get 1 to 3% back on your money.

frankthetank1
07-02-2010, 01:35 PM
wow very sad news

kindlecatsb'ng
07-02-2010, 05:52 PM
Reminds me of Bernie Kosar (here in Cle). Read a story about Kosar and it is truly sad and it doesn't seem he's in good health either. It seems these guys are an easy mark to get into deals which involves real estate, restaurants, and other venture capital deals in which they really either don't understand nor is a controlling partner. Many done on the recommendations of "friends". It's a darn shame it continues to happen.

NKySteeler
07-02-2010, 07:06 PM

Dermontti Dawson hops division fence
GEOFF HOBSON
Posted Apr 30, 2010

It’s not often you see a future Hall of Famer walking around and that guy wearing a Bengals cap at Friday’s rookie practice turned out to be former Steelers center Dermontti Dawson. Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis, used to seeing Dawson at times block three and four guys after he snapped the ball, plans to use him just as much now.

Dawson, the former Steelers center and future Pro Football Hall of Famer who retired in 2000 after 13 seasons, made his debut at Friday's rookie camp as a coach from the Bill Walsh minority intern coaching program. He'll be with the club deep into training camp and Lewis sees him in a variety of roles. He's not only working with the offensive line, but Lewis wants him to mentor guys like center Kyle Cook and last year's No. 1 pick, right tackle Andre Smith.

"A great professional," said Lewis, who worked with Dawson in Pittsburgh and against him in Baltimore. "Here was a guy who was a very talented overachiever. As talented as he was, he was the hardest working guy ever. First guy here. Last one to leave. Best knee-bender. Whatever you did, you were going to pick Dermontii to do it first. That's the kind of guy he was and still is. I told him I was going to use the hell out of him.

"We'll use him up. He'll feel exploited when he leaves here. We're going to use all his abilities."

Lewis corrected someone when he observed that Lewis schemed against Dawson in the last four seasons of his career.

"You didn't scheme against Dermontti," Lewis said. "He schemed against you."

Dawson, a top 10 Pro Football Hall of Fame finalist this past year, laughed when someone told him he never thought he would see Dawson in a Bengals cap.

“Any team I’m with, that’s who I’m with. It’s great,” said Dawson, who worked with the Steelers last training camp.

Dawson not only became one of the game’s great centers, but also one of the NFL’s truly good guys and so there is no surprise that he’s not making a big deal about Canton.

“I don’t lose any sleep,” Dawson said. “They said, ‘You should have got in on the first ballot.’ There are a lot of deserving guys on the ballot each and every year. It’s tough and from my standpoint, being a Steeler, you’ve had so many guys go in. You just maybe have to wait your turn. If it happens, it would be great. If not, I’ll still be doing my thing.”

After a decade of retirement and working in the financial field, it now looks like that is coaching.

“I like the coaching aspect of it and I like the personnel aspect of it,” he said. “This is a great chance to get experience and the more experience I get the better off I’ll be.”

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-...7-657f0c8a0279

Flasteel
07-02-2010, 09:02 PM
I forgot who said it, but it reminds me of a recent quote. In reference to the salaries they make, a pro athlete stated "Yeah, we make a lot of money, but we spend a lot too".

I guess this pretty well sums up the situations a lot of these guys are finding themselves in. I have zero pity for any of them. Empathy maybe, but no sympathy.