PDA

View Full Version : No need to Panic Steeler Nation

hawaiiansteel
07-02-2010, 12:38 AM
No need to Panic Steeler Nation...I'm not

June 30, 2010

http://blog.onlinemetals.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/steelers-logo.jpg

There's a ton of Steeler fans 'throwing up in their mouths just a little today cause of the latest string of so-called bad luck that the Pittsburgh Steelers have endured and some of it is justified but at the end of the day, the timing of the discouraging news couldn't have come at a better time of the year than now; that's why I'm as cool as the other side of my computer hard drive....

First off those worrying about these issues that I'm about to lay out below won't have to worry for long because come July 30th and training camp initiates the football process will begin to take shape, barring any unforseen new training camp injury, and come Game 1 of the NFL regular season all should be at 100% ready to explode at Heinz Field.

MIKE TOMLIN...will and should have a new long term deal done very soon, (I predict they will announce his re-signing within 2 weeks of this posting)...so don't panic.

SANTONIO HOLMES & LIMAS SWEED...between Mike Wallace, Randle-El, Arnaz Battle, Emmanuel Sanders, Antonio Brown and whoever else puts on a WR jersey should more than adequately take up the yards and catches that will be lost between the two castoffs (I predict Wallace and Sanders to emerge as Stars)....so don't panic!

DEFENSE...you think a D!ck Lebeau defense is goin to have back-to-back 'down' years in productivity? if u think that then you haven't been a steeler fan for very long, I expect dominance from the D this year and I predict Troy P to pick up his first of 2 Defensive player of the year awards....don't panic!

OFFENSIVE LINE...up until this past Monday when Colon went down for the year with an achilles injury this unit was shaping up to be a damn good solid line (with Hartwig coming into camp fully healthy and our first round pick Pouncey projected to push for the starting RG position); and it still has the potential to be a solid-forceful unit! It's early enough in the learning-unification process for the Steeler coaches to insert a new RT and still get a nice tight bond throughout training camp. When I say new RT I'm not talking about some old has-been from another team. (I predict the dark horse talent of Ramon Foster will win RT position in camp with Jonathan Scott as his back-up. Essex will continue to back up whoever starts at RG which I think will be the rookie first rounder).....btw, W.Colon was a good RT but not a great one-he was a great run blocker but only an average pass blocker, never the less.....don't panic!

FINALLY....this last panic-concern that I refuse to worry over is the most important position on the team.....

QUARTERBACK... yes I know Big Ben's 4 game absence will be HUGE (I'm saying 4 cause I got a good gut feeling Ben will continue to be on good behavior and the Goodell Commish will reduce it from 6 to 4 right before or during training camp) but it is what it is. I'm dealing with Ben's loss as if it's a 4 game injury loss and we'll get him back after the bye week. I expect Leftwich and if need be Dixon to step up to the plate and perform as needed, both of these guys know how to play Steeler Ball and they shouldn't be held to a lower standard than Roethlisberger.

With that being said I would love for a 4-0 start of the season but I'll take 2-2. If the Steelers have that type of season record as Ben comes back from suspension then that's more than manageable for the best QB n the game (I predict the Steelers will be 3-1 heading into Big Ben's return and once he gets back under center he will have a great season and lead the Black & Gold to a first round playoff bye...Ben has much to prove this season, on and off the field, and I make it a habit to never bet against the Best crunch-time Closer in the NFL)....

SO, DON'T PANIC!

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... -nation-im (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2010/6/30/1545251/no-need-to-panic-steeler-nation-im)

SanAntonioSteelerFan
07-02-2010, 01:15 AM
I've gotten to the point that I can't read more than the 1st sentence or two of any "sports beat writer" article about the Steelers.

I never used to be that way, but I think the shock-vulture approach to journalism with Ben and the Milledgeville circus really turned me off on all those guys.

Florio deserves a special place in journalism hell IMO, and the others are just junior dbags to one degree or another.

Just my :2c .

And now back to our regularly scheduled program: :Boobs :Cheers :Boobs :Cheers :Boobs :Cheers

Djfan
07-02-2010, 01:23 AM
Wow SASF!!

Welcome to using your brain. The mainstream media is a bunch of echo dorks. They only know how to shock, and have no concept of what is important.

They just proved it in Ben's case again.

Iron Shiek
07-02-2010, 08:15 AM
No need to Panic Steeler Nation...I'm not

Well in that case... :Beer

Oviedo
07-02-2010, 08:28 AM
I love the Steelers being an afterthought by the media "experts" this upcoming season. It is when they play the best when they feel disrespected. Just a few thoughts:

RT - they will do the free agent dance for awhile but I think that ultimately it will be an insider who gets the job. Scott, Essex and Foster may be the ones we hear about now but Tony Hills may still get a chance to make a statement. Three years in the system. This may be the window of opportunity he has needed. Just a feeling. I don't think the old OL coach knew how to maximize the strengths of certain players. By reputation Kugler seems to.

Defense - all about health of not only Troy and Smitty, but also Harrison. Harrison was not right in the second half of last season. Two sacks in the final 8 games is not acceptable from your primary pass rusher. That is why they went after both Worilds and Gibson---insurance for this season and the future. However the real difference this year will be Lawrence Timmons. I think he will take the next step and become a huge difference maker and challenge for Pro Bowl recognition.

QB - Lefty can get us at least 2-2 and then Ben will come back on a mission to prove something to the organization, his team mates, the fans and himself. But the thing that will really be driving him will be an opportunity to stick it up the backside of the media that crucified him unjustly. You don't think it was unjust? How much are you hearing about Cedric Benson and Vince Young? You know, the guys actually charged with a crime and caught on video. All I hear is crickets!

DBs - Will be better as long as Troy is healthy. Note to LeBeau: Keep Troy off kick block teams and keep him off the line of scrimmage and let him play centerfield. Bmac may help some but I think we will see Joe Burnett and Keenan Lewis pushing the starters and making a difference.

Special Teams - I think the STs will be significantly better. There are some young players who I think will be difference makers on both the coverage teams and return teams. Manny Sanders and Brown will push Logan off the roster. Battle and the young LBs (Worilds, Gibson and Sylvester) plus rookie DB Crezdon Butler will make the coverage teams better.

RB - Mendy will come into his own and have a breakout season. Dwyer will be playing with a chip on his shoulder and will have an excellent first season

feltdizz
07-02-2010, 09:41 AM
Why are people panicking because Big Ben is out the first 4 games?

Last year against the Ravens everybody said automatic L... we had that game won until the D took the field in the 4th.

We have made AFCCG's with subpar QB's... I'm disturbed by the talk of 2-2. :wft
I always think we will win. Maybe I'm seeing it with Steeler goggles but as long as our D is back in form I don't see us losing any of those first 4 games.

cruzer8
07-02-2010, 10:11 AM

Last year against the Ravens everybody said automatic L... we had that game won until Dixon threw a pick.

I always think we will win. Maybe I'm seeing it with Steeler goggles but as long as our D is back in form I don't see us losing any of those first 4 games.

Fixed.

Oviedo
07-02-2010, 10:13 AM

Last year against the Ravens everybody said automatic L... we had that game won until the D took the field in the 4th.

Two of the first four games are against legit play off teams in Atlanta and Baltimore and we won't have our A-team on the field. Can we win? Of course? Is it harder? Of course?

I'd like to always think we win every game too but you have to look at who you are putting on the field. The first four games will require alot of people to step up to a level above where they played before: Lefty, Mendy, Wallace and the entire OL.

jj28west
07-02-2010, 11:13 AM
Somebody slap me,

I am guilty of having the "the sky is falling perspective right now". I know its been rehashed a million times but Santonio saw a lot of double coverage that only helped Wallace. I only could see from the TV coverage but in the beginning of the season Santonio got alot of well deserved attention. It wasnt until places like here that I realized this. Normally I was asking where was he and how come the limited production by his stats in the beginning of the season.

Then you have the immobility of Lefty.... Ben holds onto the ball and his very aggresive in making the big play while sacrificing a dump off to someone in the flat underneath. I hope BA can shorten these patterns because the Baltimore game may be ugly with Byron.

Add (IMO) key injurioes this past week and I am concerned because BA does not show me flexibility in adapting to what he has until after a couple of games of being exposed.

I love the Steelers and try to be as positive as he!! but realistically I am not seeing it this time. Regardless, if they go 4-12 this year I will still root for the B & G to that final minute of the season.

Its July but if someone could post some more positive thoughts and perspectives I am listening.

feltdizz
07-02-2010, 11:54 AM
Ovie many times have we seen Atlanta go from contenders to pretenders in one year? Every year we hear about the playoff caliber teams and come playoff time half the preseason picks are on the couch.

I see us going 4-0 or 3-1.

Baltimore struggled to beat us with our 3rd string QB in Baltimore. Still not convinved they can do half the stuff they did with Troy on the field.
People need to understand we were s plays away from 12-4. We had epic collapses and miscommunication and teams were just scraping by us.

People need to calm down and stop acting like we are a JV squad without Ben. Batch is slow as dirt and he still made the throws. We will be fine. It will be ball control and field position. with Ben its excitement and edge of your seat football. With dixon is was ugly but competitive. With lefty it will be tight hard passes and take what the D gives. ...and don't forget Mendy and a better OL.

We need Ben is for the biggest games in the playoffs that we couldn't win. Let's stop acting like our teams didn't know how to win all the other games before he arrived. Some of our fans are acting like we were Cleveland before Ben arrived.

Sugar
07-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Baltimore struggled to beat us with our 3rd string QB in Baltimore. Still not convinved they can do half the stuff they did with Troy on the field.
People need to understand we were s plays away from 12-4. We had epic collapses and miscommunication and teams were just scraping by us.

Baltimore only got stronger in the off-season. The Bengals did too. The Ravens are the real-deal (on paper anyway). They have a top-5 D, top-5 running game and have even added Boldin to bolster their passing game along with Bulger who will be able to teach Flacco a thing or two.

If/when we beat them we'll have something to be proud of!

feltdizz
07-02-2010, 12:56 PM

Baltimore only got stronger in the off-season. The Bengals did too. The Ravens are the real-deal (on paper anyway). They have a top-5 D, top-5 running game and have even added Boldin to bolster their passing game along with Bulger who will be able to teach Flacco a thing or two.

On paper...

on paper they are the 2011 champs... but who knows if Flacco can get Boldin the ball, who knows if Boldin won't meltdown or get injured..again.

Who knows if our WR tandem may be old, small but killer after the catch due to our WR's blocking.

Who knows ... wasn't Tennessee supposed to be destined for a deep playoff run last year? How did that turn out?

Sugar
07-02-2010, 05:37 PM

On paper...

on paper they are the 2011 champs... but who knows if Flacco can get Boldin the ball, who knows if Boldin won't meltdown or get injured..again.

Who knows if our WR tandem may be old, small but killer after the catch due to our WR's blocking.

Who knows ... wasn't Tennessee supposed to be destined for a deep playoff run last year? How did that turn out?

True, but to my knowledge the Ravens haven't disrespected the towel! :wink:

hawaiiansteel
07-03-2010, 02:21 AM
Somebody slap me,

I am guilty of having the "the sky is falling perspective right now".

okay...

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/556508/2/istockphoto_556508-man-getting-slapped.jpghttp://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/7646505/2/istockphoto_7646505-shocked-after-getting-slapped.jpg