PDA

View Full Version : Football growing up

Djfan
07-01-2010, 01:54 PM
I grew up in San Diego. We only had four TV stations, so pretty much we watched whatever the network gurus decided we wanted to watch.

It was a ritual - home from mass, Mom cooked brunch (eggs, toast, bacon, etc.) and us boys would go with Dad to watch whatever game was on. Fortunately, about '73 we got to see the Steelers a bunch in the morning game. The afternoon was usually the Chargers or Rams, but by then I was outside playing football with the neighborhood kids. I was always Lambert or Swan.

Great days!

What are your memories?

flippy
07-01-2010, 03:58 PM
I remember watching Mork and Mindy in black and white. There were color tvs then. I was just uber lower middle class - ie. broke arse.

I wanted to be a baseball player. Roberto was my hero. I swung like there wasn't a strike zone and swung at everything. Broke a kid's leg with a line drive just like Roberto did to Bob Gibson.

SidSmythe
07-01-2010, 04:55 PM
I live in Bills Country (Western NY) and we got Rochester & Buffalo stations where I lived. If the Bills weren't on it was a battle between the Jets, Steelers, Browns & Dolphins.

It was a real treat to see the Steelers play.

The 10 Minute Ticker came along (but it never seemed to come on every 10 minutes..grrr)
The Cowboys and Giants dominated CBS networks when they carried the NFC.

Usually we would end up playing football outside unless the Steelers were on.

Ozey74
07-01-2010, 06:29 PM
DJ, our Sundays growing up were almost identical: Mass, home cooked breakfast, hanging w/dad watching the games. However, my memories took place in a suburb of Pittsburgh and unfortunately took place in the early 80's thru 84'. Steeler games during that era weren't as joyfull to sit through as the era that you grew up in. It was during these times that I was first introduced to many of the words that make up my present day vocabulary.

Didn't pregame start 30 minutes before kickoff? And if the 2nd game got over before 60 minutes started, then you had a postgame show -otherwise, you got nothing.

:tt2

SidSmythe
07-01-2010, 06:59 PM
I remember reading the stats in the USA Today on Monday mornings. NFL Countdown was pretty big too ... nowadays even what you see on NFL Countdown is old news.

RuthlessBurgher
07-01-2010, 07:48 PM
I remember reading the stats in the USA Today on Monday mornings. NFL Countdown was pretty big too ... nowadays even what you see on NFL Countdown is old news.

NFL Primetime between the late afternoon game and the primetime Sunday night game was my favorite television show all the way through college. This was pre-internet when an hour on ESPN was your only true means of getting caught up on what was going on in the entire NFL.