PDA

View Full Version : Gil Brandt: Colon’s fill-in already on Steelers’ roster

hawaiiansteel
07-01-2010, 03:42 AM
Brandt: Colon’s fill-in already on Steelers’ roster

Posted: June 29th, 2010

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/11/07/images/tb_gators_pouncey450.jpg

As soon as news broke that Steelers OT Willie Colon will miss the 2010 season because of a ruptured Achilles’ tendon, speculation on a possible replacement centered on perhaps the most accomplished tackle still on the street: Flozell Adams.

But while Adams reportedly visited Pittsburgh on Tuesday, NFL.com senior analyst Gil Brandt suggested the team already might have a replacement in the fold.

“I don’t think the Steelers will take a chance on Flozell,” Brandt said Tuesday in a live chat on NFL.com. “Knowing how they’ve operated in the past, they’ll try to fill from within. One thing to look for: Although first-round pick Maurkice Pouncey was drafted as a center/guard, he does have the ability to move outside and play tackle. I imagine he will get that chance.”

Pouncey, the 18th overall pick in the draft out of Florida, is considered to be very athletic and active for an interior lineman. His versatility was expected to help him make an early contribution to the Steelers’ offensive line in 2010. Colon’s injury could make that early contribution more important than previously believed.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/06/29/brandt- ... rs-roster/ (http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/06/29/brandt-colons-fill-in-already-on-steelers-roster/)

steelernation77
07-01-2010, 04:19 AM
I'd rather not see Pouncey's progress slowed by asking him to learn a third position. Let him master one or two first, then maybe he could. Three spots is too much to ask of a rookie.

Oviedo
07-01-2010, 08:04 AM
If Pouncey can pull it off this actually makes great sense. We have a ton of people who can play Center or RG in Hartwig, Legursky, Urbik, Foster and Essex. Not so many at RT. Pouncey is without a doubt our most athletic OL now and that is a key characteristic for a RT.

He would not have to learn multiple positions because for this season he would focus on only one...RT. Even though he played on the interior during OTAs, he did get exposed to the play call and blocking schemes. I would thing they just need to build on that in camp.

rpmpit
07-01-2010, 09:03 AM
I never liked the "Steeler Way" of letting rookies sit the first year. Well, I guess that was more of a "Cowher Way". Anyway, give the kid a chance to show what he can do.

Shawn
07-01-2010, 09:20 AM
If Pouncey can pull it off this actually makes great sense. We have a ton of people who can play Center or RG in Hartwig, Legursky, Urbik, Foster and Essex. Not so many at RT. Pouncey is without a doubt our most athletic OL now and that is a key characteristic for a RT.

He would not have to learn multiple positions because for this season he would focus on only one...RT. Even though he played on the interior during OTAs, he did get exposed to the play call and blocking schemes. I would thing they just need to build on that in camp.

Not to mention RT is a more valuable position than OG. It might quiet those who were critical of grabbing a Guard that early. There is no doubt in my mind Pouncey can play RT. More adjustment time no doubt but from an athletic standpoint he could play LT if he really wanted to.

StarSpangledSteeler
07-01-2010, 11:56 AM
LeBron James could play power forward. Doesn't mean that's the best option.

Crash
07-01-2010, 12:08 PM
I think Gil Brandt needs to lay off the sauce.

hawaiiansteel
07-03-2010, 03:14 AM
Deal between Steelers, OT Adams isn't imminent despite visit

By Jason La Canfora
NFL.com
June 30, 2010

An agreement between the Pittsburgh Steelers and free-agent offensive tackle Flozell Adams isn't imminent, a league source said Wednesday.

Adams visited the Steelers on Tuesday and took a physical, but he doesn't have a deal with the team. Adams' agent, Jordan Woy, told the Steelers that he's drawing interest from at least three other clubs, according to a team source.

The Steelers got the impression that Adams isn't ready to make a decision on where he will sign, and money also could be an issue. Adams, who was scheduled to earn over $7 million with the Dallas Cowboys before his release this offseason, is looking for a $4 million deal for 2010, according to the source. The Steelers were hesitant to go that high.

Pittsburgh lost tackle Willie Colon for the season after he tore his Achilles' tendon while working out this week. Adams is the only free-agent tackle attractive to the Steelers right now, according to a team source, and no other visits are planned.

If the Steelers don't sign Adams -- who also has visited the Denver Broncos -- they likely will move guard Trai Essex to tackle. The team believes Essex plays better on the left side, so that means left tackle Max Starks would move to right tackle. Barring a free-agent signing, that's the most likely scenario for Pittsburgh entering training camp next month.

Rookie tackle Chris Scott also recently suffered a leg injury, which likely will put him out for the start of camp but isn't expected to jeopardize his season, according to a team source. Like Colon, Scott was working out on his own when the injury occurred.

Scott, a fifth-round draft pick, is jockeying for a reserve spot with the Steelers and wasn't seen as a possible replacement for Colon.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...-despite-visit

BURGH86STEEL
07-03-2010, 05:52 AM
I never liked the "Steeler Way" of letting rookies sit the first year. Well, I guess that was more of a "Cowher Way". Anyway, give the kid a chance to show what he can do.

This is really not an accurate statement. What do you expect teams to do, start all the rookies drafted? Some players are ready before others.

The Steelers played their share of rookies they thought were ready. They also got some rookies on the field in various situations.

The first time a player makes a mistake, many fans are ready crucify that player and call him a bust. There are no cries of, lets continue to give the kid a chance to show what he can do.

If they feel any of the rookies drafted can contribute right away, they will be given the opportunity to play. Like Wallace or any of the other several rookies that were on the field last season.

Flasteel
07-03-2010, 08:58 AM

This is really not an accurate statement. What do you expect teams to do, start all the rookies drafted? Some players are ready before others.

The Steelers played their share of rookies they thought were ready. They also got some rookies on the field in various situations.

The first time a player makes a mistake, many fans are ready crucify that player and call him a bust. There are no cries of, lets continue to give the kid a chance to show what he can do.

If they feel any of the rookies drafted can contribute right away, they will be given the opportunity to play. Like Wallace or any of the other several rookies that were on the field last season.

Agreed. Plus we need to consider that the "Steeler Way" also entails having very few starting spots available and consistently drafting at the back end of rounds. We may see far more rookies get their chance to shine around the league, but I would imagine that the majority of them are on teams with glaring holes.

Now that we have one of those ourselves, maybe Pouncy will be starting from the get-go.

By the way, switching Starks to RT, just to accomodate Trai Essex, is not a good move in my opinion. Yeah, we've got all of training camp and pre-season to work it out, but we're disrupting the entire line and are removing a guy from he a position he hold down pretty well. I trust the coaches will know what they are doing, but I just don't like it.

ANPSTEEL
07-03-2010, 11:04 AM
By the way, switching Starks to RT, just to accomodate Trai Essex, is not a good move in my opinion. Yeah, we've got all of training camp and pre-season to work it out, but we're disrupting the entire line and are removing a guy from he a position he hold down pretty well. I trust the coaches will know what they are doing, but I just don't like it.

completely agree with this-

Starks, who is a lefty, has played significantly better at LT, than he did at RT. Why in the world would anyone think making two positions worse- is a better option than one position being worse????

I'd much rather see the team parade in every other option at RT- before flipping Starks and Essex is actually considered as a realistic option.

SidSmythe
07-03-2010, 11:40 AM
I can always tell when someone pretends they know what they are talking about but really don't when it comes to the Steelers.

MAX STARKS is NOT a Right Tackle!! He will never be one.
He was given Left Tackle money b/c that's the only position on the line he can play.
Why would you take your "franchise" left tackle and play him out of his natural position which happens to be the most important position on the line???

These OUTSIDERS who pretend to be experts say to themselves "hmmm, Starks use to play Right Tackle so that's an option" and then they report it as if they know what they are talking about. Then they say big cliche' phrases like "the organization is considering moving Starks to RT" to validate their expertise when they only validate their ignorance.

RuthlessBurgher
07-03-2010, 04:16 PM
Yup...as soon as Colon was hurt, I said that the most likely scenario if no one new was brought in was to move Essex to RT and insert Pouncey at RG. Moving Essex to LT and making Starks a RT is moronic. Essex plays better on the left than on the right, eh? Then why did he play RIGHT guard last year? Dumb. You know who else plays better on the left than the right? Max #&@%ing Starks, that's who. The author might as well have suggested making Stefan Logan the new right tackle. :wink:

BURGH86STEEL
07-03-2010, 04:49 PM

Agreed. Plus we need to consider that the "Steeler Way" also entails having very few starting spots available and consistently drafting at the back end of rounds. We may see far more rookies get their chance to shine around the league, but I would imagine that the majority of them are on teams with glaring holes.

Now that we have one of those ourselves, maybe Pouncy will be starting from the get-go.

I think Pouncy will start at RG. I don't believe they are not as desperate as they were back when Faneca had to move out to tackle. They still have time to find a replacement at RT.

I agree that they should leave Starks at LT. I think he is a better at LT then RT. Pouncy will probably a better interior player then he would at RT. I trust that they will find someone other then Starks or Pouncy to fill RT.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
07-04-2010, 03:07 PM
Starks didn't suck at LT, sometimes he even looked pretty good.

He might suck at RT.

Ergo - author is a :loser .

Next case! :Boobs :Cheers

hawaiiansteel
07-04-2010, 03:35 PM
Starks didn't suck at LT, sometimes he even looked pretty good.

He might suck at RT.

Ergo - author is a :loser .

Next case! :Boobs :Cheers

Gil Brandt is actually a very well-respected NFL analyst.

pittpete
07-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Dont they call him the "Godfather"?