PDA

View Full Version : Flozell Adams also considering offers from other teams

hawaiiansteel
06-30-2010, 06:50 PM
Colon faces surgery, out for season

Wednesday, June 30, 2010
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201006/colon1.1_500.jpg

The Steelers' offensive line, which already has lost right tackle Willie Colon for the 2010 season, is getting thinner by the day.

Colon will have surgery today to repair a torn Achilles tendon and will be put on injured reserve, ending his season, the Post-Gazette has learned.

But he will not be alone on the operating table.

Rookie tackle Chris Scott, the team's fifth-round draft choice, also will have surgery today to repair a broken foot -- an injury he sustained while working out at the University of Tennessee, his alma mater.

Scott is expected to be out approximately three months, meaning he would miss the entire preseason and would not return until October at the earliest.

http://dascoop.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/flozell.jpg

Meantime, former Dallas Cowboys left tackle Flozell Adams visited the Steelers' offices and took a physical Tuesday and could be signed to add depth and possibly replace Colon.

Adams (6 feet 7, 338), nicknamed "The Hotel" because of his size, has played his entire 12-year career with the Cowboys. He played 1,081 snaps last season, but was released after the season.

Adams, though, is considering offers from other teams, including the Washington Redskins.

Colon, injured Monday while doing agility drills, was examined Tuesday morning and it was determined he will need season-ending surgery. He has not missed a start since he became the starter three years ago.

The Steelers have said they will wait until after the surgeries to announce the prognosis for Colon and Scott officially.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10181/10 ... z0sNZRULn9 (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10181/1069234-66.stm#ixzz0sNZRULn9)

flippy
06-30-2010, 07:01 PM
Flozell's got 2 options:

1. Make a lot of money in DC for 1 more year

or

2. Get a chance to lift the Lombardi in Heinz Field South in front of his old team.

Hopefully he doesn't need the money.

sentinel33
06-30-2010, 07:16 PM
At this point make Pouncey the Center, with Hartwig as the backup. Put either Essex or Urbik at RG. Whomever wins the position in camp. At RT it's between Foster and J. Scott. This way we can really see what we have and get a better idea of how to move forward with the improvement of the o-line. Taking Flozell is not a long term solution. Merely putting off the inevitable. Make the move now while you have camp to iron out what you can before the season kicks in.
I have alwayts felt that Colon should've been moved inside to RG years ago. That's where he was at Hofstra. I never understood that. I always felt we needed a natural Tackle there at RT. Now we have an opportunity to implement that.
Colon did a nice job but i think there are more talented players on the roster.

hawaiiansteel
06-30-2010, 07:31 PM
I have alwayts felt that Colon should've been moved inside to RG years ago. That's where he was at Hofstra.

Willie Colon played strictly RT at Hofstra.

Willie Colon Conference Call

Hofstra
Offensive Tackle
4th Round - 131st Overall

Are you happy that a team like the Steelers took a shot on a guy from Hofstra in the draft?

It is a blessing. It has been the longest emotional roller coaster ride of my life, especially since I didn't go to the combine and I didn't go to any all-star games. I am just a guy that tried to make things happen to the best of my abilities. I am a blue collar type guy and Pittsburgh is a blue collar type city, so I am ready to go to work. It is great.

Did you have to sell yourself a lot during this whole process?

Yes, obviously since like I said, I didn't go to the combine and didn't go to all star games. I got a lot of private workouts and my tape got around to a lot of teams. All I could do was just show up on my pro day and get a private workout to show people that I can play.

When did you get the vibe that the Steelers and maybe some other teams in the NFL were starting to catch on to what you had to sell?

It was interesting. Miami was the first one that caught wind of me. They were really high on me and then the ball just kind of got rolling and then I met Coach Grimm in Pittsburgh. We talked for only about 20-25 minutes and we honestly didn't even really talk about football. All we talked about were the crazy fans and how exciting it is going to be there. When I left there, I didn't really have a feeling that Pittsburgh was going to pick me, I just had a feeling that it was a great town and I loved the staff and I loved the way everything was. Here I am today, I am a Steeler and I am proud. I am blessed and I thank everybody.

Orien Harris was considered a first rounder who fell to the fourth. You don't sound disappointed?

I am from D I-AA football, there is always talk about how D I-AA ball is a different. I don't really think there is a big difference at all, especially once again, I didn't go to the combine, I was the kind of guy that fell underneath the radar and then I appeared and just received a lot of love. All I could do was show up when my number was called. To go in the fourth round considering where I came from is a blessing, it truly is.

Is there a party going on in your house?

Yes, there is an absolute mardi gras going on right now.

Where is that?

I am in the Bronx right now. I am from the South Bronx and I had to lock myself in the closet so I can talk to you guys.

Were you recruited much out of high school?

Kind of, I didn't have the good grades to go to a big time school. The reason I had chose Hofstra is because my mother suffers from Lupus. She is disabled and I didn't want to go somewhere and not be able to get to her when she needed me. Hofstra was an hour away from the Bronx and it was an easy assessment for me and that is where I went.

Can you talk about Hofstra's contributions to the NFL? Is it a short list?

Not really, we had some guys from there. Obviously, Giovanni Carmazzi, Charlie Adams that plays for the Broncos, a good friend of mine that played with Hofstra, Brandon Newton signed with Pittsburgh and is overseas right now playing for NFL Europe. There are a lot of other guys, but my mind is scrambling so I can't think of the names. We have a good number of guys.

Can you talk about growing up in the Bronx? Are you a tough guy?

I don't take crap, if you want to get down to it. That is the nature of growing up as an inner city kid, I am from the Bronx. I grew up five minutes from Yankee Stadium. My whole attitude growing up is fight for what you believe in and try to make your own way. I don't believe in luck, I don't believe in all that stuff, it is how hard you work is what you are going to get out of it. I have met some great people all my life and had some good coaches that supported and believed that I could do it. Here I am today, it paid off.

Was that attitude something you put into practice a lot, to fight for what you get?

Yes, definitely. Like I said, I have always been looked at as a kid that always had the potential, but people always shied away from for whatever reason. Going to Hofstra started off tough for me, but I just kind of made my own way and worked my butt off in the weight room and learning and understanding what my position and my role was in the Hofstra offense, which was a run and shoot and just go out there and dominate each week, to go after the top guy and whoever was in front of me.

Did you get into a lot of fights growing up? Was it a violent upbringing for you?

Yes, being an inner city kid, I got into my fair share. Thank God I have never been to jail or done any of that stuff. I have a great family and they have put me in the right path and I have been smart about a lot of decisions that I have made. I have also done some things that I am not proud of. That is part of growing up.

If you throw a big pancake block to spring Willie Parker, will you throw up the "X" like Carl Karauser did for years here at Pitt?

Yes. I will throw up the "X" and I will walk with it like Fat Joe.

Did you know Carl Karauser?
No. I played against him in AAU ball. We don't know each other at all. I know who he is.

Does he throw the "X" in the Bronx, or is that just a Pittsburgh thing?

No, he is representing the Bronx, but he just happens to play for Pittsburgh.

Russ Grimm
RE: Willie Colon, Hofstra
Offensive Tackle
4th Round 131st Overall

Can he play both the guard and tackle positions?

Russ Grimm: He should be able to. He has enough athletic ability. He strictly played right tackle at Hofstra. We'll start him out as a tackle and go from there.

Can he play on the left side?

He hasn't been over there. Usually with guys like that we start them with what they're used to and see how much they can handle. Then move them around.

Is his height a concern?

You look at the Division I-AA, any lower level of competition you have to make sure the guy dominates and he's 6-2 and 320-something pounds and he dominated at that level. He showed enough ability with his hip roll and foot quickness and things like that (that) we liked on film. You look at big guys and you see your Max Starks' and your 6-7, 6-8 guys and you say, 'can they bend their knees and get under people?' You look at your shorter guys and say, 'do they have enough power to hold the point?' He's shown that.

Did he play in a bowl game or combine?

No.

How do you know about a guy like him?

At the end of the year we get a list from the scouts and he was on the list. As you're going down through you see guys that excite you. You watch some film on them and put a grade on them and you discuss them and see what they have to say. Then you again into the intangibles and character and things like that. We brought him in and sat him down. I've talked to him, the coaches talked to him so you get a feel for him as a person. You already know what he can do on film and he's a good fit.

Does it speak of your depth by drafting a project player?

Most of your second-day guys are. Very seldom do you find a guy in the second day that walks out there and becomes an All-Pro. There are stories of them throughout the league. With those guys you're excited about one thing; you're not quite sure about something else. That's why they're second day guys. I feel he's a good football player. I don't think we draft anybody that we don't think has a chance to come in and help this football team.

Does he have a mean streak like Chris Kemoeatu?

That remains to be seen. He has shown a little added excitement for playing that position. We'll leave it at that.

http://www.jlsports.net/news_colon2.html

costanza2k1
06-30-2010, 08:15 PM
Can't blame Flozell 'false start' Adams for using us as leverage...things always seem to work out and I trust they will again.

sentinel33
06-30-2010, 08:50 PM
mike gandy is ouit there. the steelers should take a look at him

Shawn
06-30-2010, 10:00 PM
We won't win a bidding war with DC. If they are truly interested we have no shot. With that said, he would be an instant cure at RT.

papillon
07-01-2010, 12:10 AM
We won't win a bidding war with DC. If they are truly interested we have no shot. With that said, he would be an instant cure at RT.

I don't know if I'd call him a cure, but we could certainly say that he'll be the 15 stitches we need at RT. :P

Pappy

Oviedo
07-01-2010, 08:09 AM
At this point make Pouncey the Center, with Hartwig as the backup. Put either Essex or Urbik at RG. Whomever wins the position in camp. At RT it's between Foster and J. Scott. This way we can really see what we have and get a better idea of how to move forward with the improvement of the o-line. Taking Flozell is not a long term solution. Merely putting off the inevitable. Make the move now while you have camp to iron out what you can before the season kicks in.
I have alwayts felt that Colon should've been moved inside to RG years ago. That's where he was at Hofstra. I never understood that. I always felt we needed a natural Tackle there at RT. Now we have an opportunity to implement that.
Colon did a nice job but i think there are more talented players on the roster.

Its times like this that make or break careers. There are several players who have been given an open door to prove that they belong in the NFL. I really don't think we will end up getting someone from the outside so Sean Kugler gets to be the same magician he was in Buffalo last year.

While he has been largely discounted and ignored in all our internet discussions, I just have a feeling that we may hear from Tony Hills before this is all said and done.

RuthlessBurgher
07-01-2010, 09:53 AM
Why would Adams want to go to D.C.? They just drafted Trent Williams with the 4th overall pick in the draft, and traded with New Orleans for Jamaal Brown, plus they still have Stephon Heyer, who started 16 games for them last year. Don't you think Hotel wants to, you know, actually play?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
07-01-2010, 11:51 AM
I would be surprised if Adams signs anywhere until camp is over. He isn't considering anything. He's a mid 30 vet OL who doesn't want to go through "2-a-days". Everything is in his favor NOT to sign yet. That being said, I don't think he will be a Steeler unless nobody actually expressed any interest in him and his agent is lying. The Steelers will want someone in camp so it looks like it would have to be a trade or go with what we have. There is a slim possiblity that someone will get released when rookies sign but that too would be a "problem" player or an expensive player whom a team doesn't want to pay or risk injury.

This will tell the tale as to where they see Colon in the Steeler's future. If they have him in their plans, we will see a low level vet FA or go with the current guys on the roster. If they were only playing out and using the RFA rules to the max to retain Colon while they found his replacement...We might see a trade. It was very odd to me the Steelers made NO effort to feel Colon & his agent out or make offers over the last three years. I personally think the Steelers know they will not be able to retain Colon over the long term. It might be in their best interest to give up a pick for a fairly young player and move on. Gaither or Penn might be obtained for a conditonal 4th or 3rd. You may be able to get a guy like Adam Snyder away from the 49ers since they loaded up at OL. Looking at scenarios like that can generate some quality players the Steelers could maybe get for 4th or 5th. If you could get a starter for no more than a 3rd I think you have to do it. A 3rd can be obtained via draft day trade if needed in 2011. I think a trade is the best route. The Brown & Barron trade might have helped the Steelers since no 2nds had to be given up. I wish Brown or Barron were still available but this is all bad timing.

hawaiiansteel
07-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Flozell Adams is looking for $4 million

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on July 1, 2010

Like Terrell Owens, Flozell Adams has a price and he's sticking to it.

The former Dallas Cowboys left tackle wants $4 million for 2010, according to Jason La Canfora of NFL Network. The total sounds reasonable to us; Orlando Pace earned $5 million last season and Pace's play had clearly declined more than Adams'. (Only the Bears didn't seem to know.)

It's obvious that no team, including the Steelers, has met Flozell's price yet. But there's no inherent pressure for Adams to sign before training camp, which he'd probably prefer to avoid.

The Hotel will be open in 2010, the only question left is the location and nightly rate.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... 4-million/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/01/flozell-adams-is-looking-for-4-million/)

RuthlessBurgher
07-01-2010, 04:08 PM
In an uncapped year, you can pay the man on a one year deal. You won't have to worry about any future impact on the salary cap if it is reinstated in a new CBA contract next year.

hawaiiansteel
07-01-2010, 09:20 PM
Flozell Adams is nuts

July 1, 2010

The Pittsburgh Steelers brought in veteran LT Flozell Adams last week when it was determined that Willie Colon would be lost for the season. Now according to Jason LaCanfora, Adams is looking for a 4 million dollar paycheck. LaCanfora reports that Adams pricetag has scared off the Steelers, and with good reason.

Adams, 35, was released by the Dallas Cowboys earlier this offseason and was slated to earn 7 million this year. The Cowboys would have no problem paying that salary and the left tackle position is the most difficult to play. If Adams still had skills, he would still be with Dallas right now.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/artic ... ts/2827657 (http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/Flozell_Adams_is_nuts/2827657)

http://view.picapp.com//Images/clear.gif

hawaiiansteel
07-03-2010, 09:24 PM
Flozell Adams looked "OK but not great" in recent Steelers workout

Posted by Mike Florio on July 3, 2010

Free-agent tackle Flozell Adams, who has found new demand for his services after Steelers right tackle Willie Colon tore his Achilles (which, as several of you have pointed out, is much better news than if tackle Willie Achilles had torn his colon), still remains available.

Adams' $4 million asking price has prevented him from getting a deal done. The price tag becomes even harder to justify in light of Adams' current abilities. As Len Pasquarelli of ESPN.com points out, Adams looked "OK but not great" in his recent workout for the Steelers.

Maybe he would have looked better if he would have had a chance to trip someone during the session.

So with Flozell, a long-time Cowboy, apparently out of the picture for the Steelers (the Broncos reportedly remain interested), Pasquarelli points to free-agent arrival Jonathan Scott, who started eight games for the Bills in 2009 under new Pittsburgh offensive line coach Sean Kugler, as the possible in-house solution. Pasquarelli also believes that it's "not likely" that the Steelers will slide first-rounder Maurkice Pouncey all the way out to right tackle.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... s-workout/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/03/flozell-adams-looked-ok-but-not-great-in-recent-steelers-workout/)

jj28west
07-04-2010, 10:01 AM
Thanks for posting this hawaiian. I was curious how the workout turned out.

ITSFOWT

In The Steeler Front Office We Trust