PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent Tackle Adams visits Steelers

StarSpangledSteeler
06-29-2010, 02:32 PM
Free agent tackle Adams visits Steelers
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 88164.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_688164.html)

By Mark Kaboly, MCKEESPORT DAILY NEWS
Tuesday, June 29, 2010
Last updated: 12:55 pm

The Steelers may go outside the organization to find a replacement for injured right tackle Willie Colon.
Mammoth free agent tackle Flozell Adams (6-7, 338) was at the Steelers' practice facility today visiting with the organization. Adams went through a workout and physical with the team.

Adams, 35, was a five-time Pro Bowl selection with the Dallas Cowboys after being drafted in the second round in 1998 out of Michigan State.

Adams started 173 of his career 177 games with the Cowboys, most of which came at left tackle. Adams played his first season in the league at right guard.

Adams asked for his release earlier this year when it became apparent that the Cowboys were going to release him. He was due a $2.5 million roster bonus in April to go along with a base salary of more than $5 million.

Adams had the longest tenure of any Dallas player at the time of his release.

The Steelers are looking for a replacement for Colon at right tackle. If signed, Adams could be put at left tackle with Max Starks moving to right tackle. Starks played right tackle his first four years in the league before getting shifted to left tackle. Adams could also play right tackle.

flippy
06-29-2010, 02:35 PM
Anyone think Adams still has it?

Dee Dub
06-29-2010, 02:36 PM
Anyone think Adams still has it?

Well if this Steelers are serious about getting back to running the ball more, Adams is one if the best at that.

phillyesq
06-29-2010, 02:57 PM
Even if Adams has lost a step or two in pass protection, I'd have to think that he would still be an asset in the running game, especially if inserted at RT, with Starks staying at LT.

For what it's worth, here is the ESPN Insider analysis:

Grade 65 (average starter)

Expert's Take He is a massive offensive tackle who was not dominant last season, struggling at times in pass protection. He has lost some of his first-step quickness. Still delivers a solid punch in pass protection and can control the line of scrimmage when he gets his hands on the defender. He is better in the running game than in the passing game. He is better suited to RT than LT because of diminishing skills.

Oviedo
06-29-2010, 03:02 PM
If he can successfully play 16 games at LT for the Cowboys last year he should be able to handle RT one more year.

The key will be he will want a max contract. With no salary cap I say give it to him and fix the RT problem versus going into camp with another unknown.

birtikidis
06-29-2010, 03:04 PM
why would they move max? that would be retarded. Max has done a decent job at LT and that's where he belongs. sometimes i wonder if these writers have ANY common sense at all.

Oviedo
06-29-2010, 03:06 PM
why would they move max? that would be retarded. Max has done a decent job at LT and that's where he belongs. sometimes i wonder if these writers have ANY common sense at all.

:Agree Makes no sense to create change at two positons

RuthlessBurgher
06-29-2010, 03:08 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 88164.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_688164.html)

By Mark Kaboly, MCKEESPORT DAILY NEWS
Tuesday, June 29, 2010
Last updated: 12:55 pm

The Steelers may go outside the organization to find a replacement for injured right tackle Willie Colon.
Mammoth free agent tackle Flozell Adams (6-7, 338) was at the Steelers' practice facility today visiting with the organization. Adams went through a workout and physical with the team.

Adams, 35, was a five-time Pro Bowl selection with the Dallas Cowboys after being drafted in the second round in 1998 out of Michigan State.

Adams started 173 of his career 177 games with the Cowboys, most of which came at left tackle. Adams played his first season in the league at right guard.

Adams asked for his release earlier this year when it became apparent that the Cowboys were going to release him. He was due a $2.5 million roster bonus in April to go along with a base salary of more than $5 million.

Adams had the longest tenure of any Dallas player at the time of his release.

The Steelers are looking for a replacement for Colon at right tackle. If signed, Adams could be put at left tackle with Max Starks moving to right tackle. Starks played right tackle his first four years in the league before getting shifted to left tackle. Adams could also play right tackle.

If signed, Adams should play right tackle. Adams is a big body (they don't call him "Hotel" for nothing) who should be able to get some push on run plays to the right with Kemo leading the way by pulling from his LG spot. Keep Max where he is. At least Starks-Kemo-Hartwig know each other's tendencies well enough already to work together effectively. Why totally mangle any consistency in your o-line by moving Starks back to the right side in order to accommodate a 35 year old guy who has lost a step in pass protection?

StarSpangledSteeler
06-29-2010, 03:15 PM
Let's take a step back and look at the bigger picture...

No team can draft, sign, and maintain pro-bowler's at every position. That's an unrealistic expectation as a fan. You have to pick your strength and pick your poison. For years the Steelers chose 1-2 round dominate OL run blockers and pounded the ball on the ground. That was our strength and we chose to suffer in other areas (consequently winning zero Super Bowls). With the drafting of Big Ben, the F.O./owners/coaches made a conscious decision to give Ben some weapons, while also maintaining a staunch defense and depth at other positions (winning two Super Bowls in the process). In doing that, our OL quality has slipped. I'm okay with that as long as the result is winning games. I don't care about how sexy our roster looks. We put the best team we can onto the field and then play football. If that includes Adams at RT, great, sign him. If the coaches determine he is not the best prospective player, then don't. Have a little faith in one of the best coaching staffs/organizations in the league. The Steelers draft and develop players better than almost any team out there. It's not just about "getting" talented players, it's about "integrating" them into your system and producing results. Let the coaches evaluate Adams and decide if he will work before we anoint him as "better than Colon" or "washed up". The Steelers will prevail.

flippy
06-29-2010, 03:31 PM
Scott's a huge dude too. I wonder if Adams could play a flex backup position to both tackles?

RuthlessBurgher
06-29-2010, 03:42 PM
Scott's a huge dude too. I wonder if Adams could play a flex backup position to both tackles?

We wouldn't sign Adams to be a backup. He is much better (multiple Pro Bowls) than Jon Scott (injury fill-in on awful Detroit and Buffalo teams).

Eddie Spaghetti
06-29-2010, 04:39 PM
For years the Steelers chose 1-2 round dominate OL run blockers and pounded the ball on the ground.

we did?

the only one who stiicks out to me besides faneca was jamain stephensen. if memory serves, the steelers usually wait until the later rounds to address OL. as they should.

if flozell wants a big payday, let the guys we have fight it out. If it's one year, 2-3 million, maybe i think about it.

StarSpangledSteeler
06-29-2010, 05:36 PM
For years the Steelers chose 1-2 round dominate OL run blockers and pounded the ball on the ground.

we did?

the only one who stiicks out to me besides faneca was jamain stephensen. if memory serves, the steelers usually wait until the later rounds to address OL. as they should.

if flozell wants a big payday, let the guys we have fight it out. If it's one year, 2-3 million, maybe i think about it.

Marvel Smith = rd 2
Alan Faneca = rd 1
Jeff Hartings = rd 1 (free agent acquisition)
Kendall Simmons = rd 1
Max Starks = rd 3

Eddie Spaghetti
06-29-2010, 07:59 PM
so 3 premium picks in about 15 years. not exactly loading up. not sure why you have hartings listed as we didn't draft him.

i'm sure Ruthless can come up with the real number.

calmkiller
06-29-2010, 08:20 PM
Anything would be better than Max "Baby Huey" Starks at LT. Wish he would have gotten hurt instead of Colon. Hopefully we can find someone to help out.

Flasteel
06-29-2010, 08:39 PM
Anything would be better than Max "Baby Huey" Starks at LT. Wish he would have gotten hurt instead of Colon. Hopefully we can find someone to help out.

WTF is that??? You wish Starks would have been hurt instead of Colon?

Total douchebaggergy on your part CK. Not only are you incredibly off-base in your assessment of Starks' play, you managed to make yourself look like a total ass in the process.

SteelerNation1
06-29-2010, 09:19 PM
With C. Scott now out for a while, you have to make this move. Do you think they save a roster spot for Scott, and wait until he is healthy? No way I would think.

calmkiller
06-29-2010, 09:59 PM

Total douchebaggergy on your part CK. Not only are you incredibly off-base in your assessment of Starks' play, you managed to make yourself look like a total ass in the process.

Not ment to be an ass. Not meaning I wish injury upon anyone. Meant that if I had to pick between the two, I would have rather Starks got hurt. I see what you are saying though. I did come off as an ass.

StarSpangledSteeler
06-29-2010, 10:49 PM
so 3 premium picks in about 15 years. not exactly loading up. not sure why you have hartings listed as we didn't draft him.

i'm sure Ruthless can come up with the real number.

You're an idiot.

Flasteel
06-29-2010, 11:31 PM

Not ment to be an bad word. Not meaning I wish injury upon anyone. Meant that if I had to pick between the two, I would have rather Starks got hurt. I see what you are saying though. I did come off as an bad word.

That's the Calmkiller I'm used to. Way to own up to the poor choice of words. :Cheers

buckeyehoppy
06-29-2010, 11:34 PM
:wft is the story with all the contention here! Peace, Steela Brothas, Peace!

Now for buckeyehoppy's :2c

We needed to draft an OT a lot higher than the 5th Round in the last draft for just the reason you are seeing now. FWIW, the Steeler Karma is good here... this could've happened during the season and we would have been funcked royally. It's why I pimped so hard for Rodger Saffold. Such is life in the NFL.

The Steelers now have a chance to take a look at Flozell Adams. They could do worse. And they would be signing him as a RT. The only way he plays LT is if Fatt Maxx gets hurt.

To be fair, Max will need to elevate his game another level or two before he ever sniffs a Pro Bowl. And, ideally, you want more out of your LT than a journeyman. But Max has been healthy and provides continuity on the left while not being a total train wreck either in the pass or run games. To move him out of the LT spot would be a mistake. Someone would need to beat him out of the position. He's been the LT for the past 2 seasons. He's earned incumbency, at this point.

Adams has a good pedigree and is still a dependable run blocker. Not a bad way to jump start a flagging run game. At 35, he prolly won't get many offers beyond 2 years, particularly with the upcoming labor uncertainty on the horizon. Giving him a front loaded, 2 year deal just makes sense. And he is a better option than the Steelers currently possess.

For my $$$, signing Flozell Adams just makes sense.

hawaiiansteel
06-30-2010, 12:14 AM
Flozell Adams to sign with Pittsburgh?

By Dagger, on June 29th, 2010

http://bleedgreenforever.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/dallas-cowboys-flozell-adams.jpg

Just when it looked like the Steelers OL was going to turn the corner, insert a new starter, and gel as a unit, injuries strike. Willie Colon going down is a big blow to the Steelers Offensive Line but at least the organization has plenty of time to find a replacement. Former Cowboy Flozell Adams visited the Steelers facility today and could end up signing with the team in the near future. Adams has had a nice career but at age 35 what can we expect from the guy? Let’s take a look:

Translating Adams’ numbers is difficult because he started 16 games last year as a LT in the Cowboy’s offense but would be expected to play RT for the Steelers (you’d think).

*He gave up the 6th most QB pressures of all LT/RTs in the NFL last year

*He gave up the 7th most sacks of all LT/RTs in the NFL last year.

*He was called for 12 penalties last year (6th in the league)…..the RT/LT with the most was Alex Barron checking in with 14 penalties.

At RT he won’t be facing many outstanding pass rushers so you’d like to think that any deficiencies he has in the passing game will be covered up/hidden a bit playing RT in the Steelers offense. He is known as a terrific run-blocker so perhaps at this stage of his career, moving him over to RT will allow him to continue playing at a high level. Stay on the right side, do what you do best in the running game and hold your own in passing situations.

Statistically, the Cowboys were at their best last year when they ran the ball behind Flozell—averaging 6.8 yards per carry off his Left End and 4.5 yards per carry up his backside. In comparison, running behind Colon the Steelers averaged 4.3 (up his back) and 5.3 (off his RE) yards per rush. Different schemes, different positions, different offenses, different RBs…I realize….but these are the only comparisons we can make at this point in time.

If signed, I see no reason to get worried that he won’t be able to fill in admirably for Willie Colon. In fact, I wouldn’t put it past him to perhaps play better than Colon has over the last few seasons.

The Steelers and Willie’s agent may view Colon as one of the best Tackles in the league but I just don’t see it. I don’t think losing him will make or break the season. Flozell Adams doubters will point to the stats I posted above but that was a guy playing LT in the Cowboys offense. Put him at RT for the Steelers where his weaknesses are hidden and we could have a great fit.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/artic ... gh/2817349 (http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/Flozell_Adams_to_sign_with_Pittsburgh/2817349)

NJ-STEELER
06-30-2010, 01:27 AM
Flozell Adams to sign with Pittsburgh?

By Dagger, on June 29th, 2010

http://www.postgameheroes.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/flozell-275x300.jpg

Just when it looked like the Steelers OL was going to turn the corner, insert a new starter, and gel as a unit, injuries strike. Willie Colon going down is a big blow to the Steelers Offensive Line but at least the organization has plenty of time to find a replacement. Former Cowboy Flozell Adams visited the Steelers facility today and could end up signing with the team in the near future. Adams has had a nice career but at age 35 what can we expect from the guy? Let’s take a look:

Translating Adams’ numbers is difficult because he started 16 games last year as a LT in the Cowboy’s offense but would be expected to play RT for the Steelers (you’d think).

*He gave up the 6th most QB pressures of all LT/RTs in the NFL last year

*He gave up the 7th most sacks of all LT/RTs in the NFL last year.

*He was called for 12 penalties last year (6th in the league)…..the RT/LT with the most was Alex Barron checking in with 14 penalties.

At RT he won’t be facing many outstanding pass rushers so you’d like to think that any deficiencies he has in the passing game will be covered up/hidden a bit playing RT in the Steelers offense. He is known as a terrific run-blocker so perhaps at this stage of his career, moving him over to RT will allow him to continue playing at a high level. Stay on the right side, do what you do best in the running game and hold your own in passing situations.

Statistically, the Cowboys were at their best last year when they ran the ball behind Flozell—averaging 6.8 yards per carry off his Left End and 4.5 yards per carry up his backside. In comparison, running behind Colon the Steelers averaged 4.3 (up his back) and 5.3 (off his RE) yards per rush. Different schemes, different positions, different offenses, different RBs…I realize….but these are the only comparisons we can make at this point in time.

If signed, I see no reason to get worried that he won’t be able to fill in admirably for Willie Colon. In fact, I wouldn’t put it past him to perhaps play better than Colon has over the last few seasons.

The Steelers and Willie’s agent may view Colon as one of the best Tackles in the league but I just don’t see it. I don’t think losing him will make or break the season. Flozell Adams doubters will point to the stats I posted above but that was a guy playing LT in the Cowboys offense. Put him at RT for the Steelers where his weaknesses are hidden and we could have a great fit.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/artic ... gh/2817349 (http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/Flozell_Adams_to_sign_with_Pittsburgh/2817349)

Romo holds the ball too long

Eddie Spaghetti
06-30-2010, 07:28 AM
You're an idiot.

Really?

going back 20 years of drafts (40 players) only 5 of them have been made on the OL.

you're the one who said the steelers chose "run dominate OL for years". it's just not true. sorry to burst your little bubble.

still don't know why you listed a free agent....

Oviedo
06-30-2010, 08:00 AM

Starks has actually been the most solid and consistent offensive lineman for the last two years playing the most difficult position on the OL. He is just now entering his prime years.

Max has not been the problem on the OL. Kemo's inability to consistently pass block has been a problem. Hartwig's inability to hold the point of attack has been a problem. Colon's inability to hold thge edge against speed rushers has been a problem.

Max has not been a problem.

flippy
06-30-2010, 08:37 AM
Max has done pretty well against some premiere pass rushers like Jared Allen.

phillyesq
06-30-2010, 09:47 AM

Starks has actually been the most solid and consistent offensive lineman for the last two years playing the most difficult position on the OL. He is just now entering his prime years.

Max has not been the problem on the OL. Kemo's inability to consistently pass block has been a problem. Hartwig's inability to hold the point of attack has been a problem. Colon's inability to hold thge edge against speed rushers has been a problem.

Max has not been a problem.

Pretty well said, Oviedo. Starks has been quiet and consistent, which is want you want from a LT. He isn't a pro bowler, and probably never will be, but he is solid and dependable at an important position.

StarSpangledSteeler
06-30-2010, 01:43 PM
OK SPAGHETTI...

I said...

No team can draft, sign, and maintain pro-bowler's at every position. That's an unrealistic expectation as a fan. You have to pick your strength and pick your poison. For years the Steelers chose 1-2 round dominate OL run blockers and pounded the ball on the ground. That was our strength and we chose to suffer in other areas (consequently winning zero Super Bowls). With the drafting of Big Ben, the F.O./owners/coaches made a conscious decision to give Ben some weapons, while also maintaining a staunch defense and depth at other positions (winning two Super Bowls in the process).

You said...

we did? the only one who stiicks out to me besides faneca was jamain stephensen. if memory serves, the steelers usually wait until the later rounds to address OL. as they should.

I then give you examples of 3 other OL players we drafted in the early rounds. I even give you another example of how much emphasis we put on it because when we couldn't draft an early round OC, we traded for one. Jeff Hartings (I know we draft him you idiot, I'm the one who told you that. I put "free agent" in parenthesis for you). My point was we as an organization placed high emphasis/priority on early round OL pre-Ben. But you still disagree that we used to put more importance on early OL drafting than in the post-Ben era.

Let's go back the last 30 years before Big Ben, shall we... These are the OL we've drafted in the first 3 rounds:

Max Starks OT (3) 2004
Kendall Simmons OG (1) 2002
Marvel Smith OT (2) 2000
Kris Farris OT (3) 1999
Alan Faneca OG (1) 1998
Paul Wiggins OT (3) 1997
Jamaine Stephens OT (1) 1996
Brendan Stai OG (3) 1995
Leon Searcy OT (1) 1992
Tom Ricketts OG (1) 1989
Dermonti Dawson C (2) 1988
Chuck Lanza C (3) 1988
John Rienstra OG (1) 1986
Mark Behning OT (2) 1985

That's 14 players. That is what we call early round emphasis on the OL. Sorry to burst YOUR bubble. Those are the facts.

My point in all of this was, for years we drafted early round OL and win zero Super Bowls. Then we draft a franchise QB and put early round weapons around him and win 2 Super Bowls in 5 years. I (like you) am fine with drafting late round OL as long as we win Super Bowls like that.

However, our OL has now suffered so much which lack of talent and injuries that I believe we must now bring in a solid veteran tackle to stop the bleeding.

Eddie Spaghetti
06-30-2010, 01:59 PM
i guess you don't read too good. you posted rounds 1-2. 3rd rounders are not premium picks and therefore don't count in this discussion.

the last 20 years takes us back to 1990.

5 picks, 6 if you throw in Pouncey this year.

still wating on the explanation for the free agent listing...

flippy
06-30-2010, 02:03 PM
i guess you don't read too good. you posted rounds 1-2. 3rd rounders are not premium picks and therefore don't count in this discussion.

the last 20 years takes us back to 1990.

5 picks, 6 if you throw in Pouncey this year.

still wating on the explanation for the free agent listing...

just a side bar - i really like your username. it's clever. :Beer

Eddie Spaghetti
06-30-2010, 02:06 PM
thanks flip. you ever listen to the supersuckers? great band.

going back 30 years in the first 3 rounds gives us around 95 picks. still would not call 14 of 95 loading up, but whatever. this arguement is kind of boring.

flippy
06-30-2010, 02:13 PM

going back 30 years in the first 3 rounds gives us around 95 picks. still would not call 14 of 95 loading up, but whatever. this arguement is kind of boring.

never heard em until just now. i'm not a country music guy which may explain why. interesting bunch and now I know why you're eddie s :D

flippy
06-30-2010, 02:15 PM
http://www.supersuckers.com/07website_dir/images/photos/press_eddie_lg.jpg

Eddie Spaghetti
06-30-2010, 02:18 PM
aww hell yeah.

they usually do a country set and then a punk set. check out mother****ers be trippin if you don't like the country stuff. it's all hard rock/punk.

flippy
06-30-2010, 02:39 PM
aww hell yeah.

they usually do a country set and then a punk set. check out mother****ers be trippin if you don't like the country stuff. it's all hard rock/punk.

they're not too bad. i think it's funny how they call themselves the greatest band on earth and name themselves the supersuckers.

some clever guys.

RuthlessBurgher
06-30-2010, 03:25 PM

I've never heard of the Supersuckers.

I assumed that you were a hockey fan, and "Eddie Spaghetti" was your favorite Lange-ism.

Eddie Spaghetti
06-30-2010, 05:19 PM
you girls gotta get out more. j/k.

they used to be known for the fake encore bit. flip is right, these guys are pretty clever and write some good tunes. their live shows are alot of fun. pick up the "live at anaheim" dvd if you can find it used at your local record store. it's badass.

they also put out all their stuff on vinyl. everything sounds better on wax.