PDA

View Full Version : Who plays right tackle?

SteelCrazy
06-29-2010, 12:42 PM
Do you just simply plug someone in or do switch everyone around to even it all out?

If you replace only the RT you have a lot of youth and inexperience on the right side. If you switcheveryone around, like putting Starks back at right tackle and a few more moves you have experience on both sides.

What's the best way to go?

Oviedo
06-29-2010, 01:00 PM
Can someone set up a poll?

1. Jonathon Scott
2. Trai Essex
3. Another player on the current roster
4. Player from outside will be acquired

ANPSTEEL
06-29-2010, 01:04 PM
Can someone set up a poll?

1. Jonathon Scott
2. Trai Essex
3. Another player on the current roster
4. Player from outside will be acquired

At this point I'd have to go with Scott.

They already know what essex brings. Lets hope Scott can show something in camp.

Irrespective, I'd imagine the team is looking at picking up a veteran whether to start of for depth.

cruzer8
06-29-2010, 01:14 PM
Scott.

RuthlessBurgher
06-29-2010, 01:15 PM
My o-line guess at this time (if we don't pick up anyone else):

Starks-Kemoeatu-Hartwig-Pouncey-Essex are your starters.

Legursky (C/G) and Foster (G/T) will be the active gameday backups.

Urbik and one of the two Texas tackles (J. Scott or T. Hills) also makes the final 53.

I think C. Scott's foot injury might get him practice squad duty in his rookie year

I thought that if Legursky, Pouncey, and Urbik all showed that they could play center in training camp and pre-season games that Hartwig's roster spot could be in jeopardy. But after the loss of Colon, I think the coaches will hold on to an experienced veteran at center like Hartwig since we just lost an experienced veteran at right tackle like Colon.

SteelCrazy
06-29-2010, 01:55 PM
Flozell Adams visits Steelers

The season-ending Achilles' injury suffered the other day by Pittsburgh tackle Willie Colon could open up a spot for Flozell Adams.

Adams' agent, Jordan Woy, confirmed the veteran tackle is visiting the Steelers today but that they are in talks with several teams. Adams also visited Denver this year and his name was linked to Chicago earlier in the off-season.

The Cowboys chose to part ways with Adams in part because of salary ($5 million base this year), age (he's 35) and the development of Doug Free.

If he signed with the Steelers, then Adams would likely move to right tackle.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archi ... e-pit.html (http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/06/flozell-adams-visiting-the-pit.html)

hawaiiansteel
06-29-2010, 02:43 PM

if Adams signs with the Steelers he would most likely play LT and Starks would move over to RT.

Oviedo
06-29-2010, 03:05 PM

if Adams signs with the Steelers he would most likely play LT and Starks would move over to RT.

Not sure they would create instability at two positions with a new player at each of the OT spots. Doesn't make sense. Just deal with fixing RT. You may already havea new RG or Center in Pouncey. Too much change is bad for an OL, continuity is good.

calmkiller
06-29-2010, 08:22 PM
Starks to RT.

BradshawsHairdresser
06-30-2010, 12:23 AM
Starks to RT.
Why?

frankthetank1
06-30-2010, 12:29 AM
for some reason i dont think max starks can play on the right side of the line. didnt the steelers try him at RT a while ago and it didnt work at all?

pepsyman1
06-30-2010, 01:08 AM
Starks did a horrid job at right tackle. Easier to put Adams on that side, he's big and strong and has great stats as a run blocker which we will need to start the year. If you've got him plus Kemoeatu pulling toward the right they are gonna clear some big holes for Mendi.

hawaiiansteel
06-30-2010, 01:59 AM

Not sure they would create instability at two positions with a new player at each of the OT spots. Doesn't make sense. Just deal with fixing RT. You may already havea new RG or Center in Pouncey. Too much change is bad for an OL, continuity is good.

you make a good point. i posted this article in another thread also but it supports the point of view that Flozell might be a better fit at RT while allowing Starks to remain at his more natural LT position.

Flozell Adams to sign with Pittsburgh?

By Dagger, on June 29th, 2010

http://bleedgreenforever.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/dallas-cowboys-flozell-adams.jpg

Just when it looked like the Steelers OL was going to turn the corner, insert a new starter, and gel as a unit, injuries strike. Willie Colon going down is a big blow to the Steelers Offensive Line but at least the organization has plenty of time to find a replacement. Former Cowboy Flozell Adams visited the Steelers facility today and could end up signing with the team in the near future. Adams has had a nice career but at age 35 what can we expect from the guy? Let’s take a look:

Translating Adams’ numbers is difficult because he started 16 games last year as a LT in the Cowboy’s offense but would be expected to play RT for the Steelers (you’d think).

*He gave up the 6th most QB pressures of all LT/RTs in the NFL last year

*He gave up the 7th most sacks of all LT/RTs in the NFL last year.

*He was called for 12 penalties last year (6th in the league)…..the RT/LT with the most was Alex Barron checking in with 14 penalties.

At RT he won’t be facing many outstanding pass rushers so you’d like to think that any deficiencies he has in the passing game will be covered up/hidden a bit playing RT in the Steelers offense. He is known as a terrific run-blocker so perhaps at this stage of his career, moving him over to RT will allow him to continue playing at a high level. Stay on the right side, do what you do best in the running game and hold your own in passing situations.

Statistically, the Cowboys were at their best last year when they ran the ball behind Flozell—averaging 6.8 yards per carry off his Left End and 4.5 yards per carry up his backside. In comparison, running behind Colon the Steelers averaged 4.3 (up his back) and 5.3 (off his RE) yards per rush. Different schemes, different positions, different offenses, different RBs…I realize….but these are the only comparisons we can make at this point in time.

If signed, I see no reason to get worried that he won’t be able to fill in admirably for Willie Colon. In fact, I wouldn’t put it past him to perhaps play better than Colon has over the last few seasons.

The Steelers and Willie’s agent may view Colon as one of the best Tackles in the league but I just don’t see it. I don’t think losing him will make or break the season. Flozell Adams doubters will point to the stats I posted above but that was a guy playing LT in the Cowboys offense. Put him at RT for the Steelers where his weaknesses are hidden and we could have a great fit.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/artic ... gh/2817349

Oviedo
06-30-2010, 08:08 AM
IIRC Starks is a natural lefty. They like him at left tackle because his dominant hand is on the outside plus a couple of years ago something was written that he feels more comfortable playing on the left side. I don't think there is anyway they move him just as he should be entering his prime playing years as an offensive lineman.

With all the grief he gets from internet OL coaches, the reality is he has been the most consistent OL we have had for the past two years.

frankthetank1
06-30-2010, 08:11 AM
IIRC Starks is a natural lefty. They like him at left tackle because his dominant hand is on the outside plus a couple of years ago something was written that he feels more comfortable playing on the left side. I don't think there is anyway they move him just as he should be entering his prime playing years as an offensive lineman.

With all the grief he gets from internet OL coaches, the reality is he has been the most consistent OL we have had for the past two years.

max starks is our best Olineman by far imo. the green bay game last season he didnt play well but that was one lousy game in two seasons. he hasnt been starting all that long and has been improving a lot. starks is worth every penny of his contract

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
06-30-2010, 11:10 PM
Essex will start at RT IMO