PDA

View Full Version : Owners would be selfish to lock out, Polamalu says

fordfixer
06-27-2010, 01:12 AM
Owners would be selfish to lock out, Polamalu says
Posted to: Sports Tom Robinson
http://hamptonroads.com/2010/06/owners- ... amalu-says (http://hamptonroads.com/2010/06/owners-would-be-selfish-lock-out-polamalu-says)

“America needs football,” Polamalu, the Pittsburgh Steelers’ five-time Pro Bowl safety, contended this week on a visit to William and Mary’s football camp. (Streeter Lecka |

The Virginian-Pilot
© June 25, 2010

WILLIAMSBURG

Troy Polamalu might not know what the deal really is with his socially scattershot quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger. But he knows for sure what America needs.

"America needs football," Polamalu, the Pittsburgh Steelers' five-time Pro Bowl safety, contended this week on a visit to William and Mary's football camp. As in woe to the NFL owners who, should it come to pass, lock out the players before the start of the 2011 season as part of contract negotiations.

"It's a real blue-collar sport; it's played with a blue-collar mentality, a mentality that's the backbone of this country. And America needs that, especially in this time of crisis," Polamalu said.

"It would be really selfish of any of the team owners, or anybody that has control in this situation, to take that away from the American public."

Funny Polamalu should mention crisis, considering the relative straits in which the Steelers approach the upcoming season.

They have to recover from a fumbled ' 09 effort - a Super Bowl defense, no less - that started 6-2 before crumbling to a 9-7 finish outside the playoffs. Polamalu, a soft-spoken defensive terror who plays with hair-raising fury, is still mending from dual knee-ligament injuries that let him play in only five games.

And then Roethlisberger, of course, will miss the first 4 to 6 games for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy for an ill-conceived night in a Georgia bar. And that's the cloud that hovers largest over everything despite Polamalu's disingenuous dismissal of Roethlisberger's travails as "no distraction" to the team.

Really? It's absolutely a distraction, from people speculating how the Steelers will perform without Roe-thlisberger to how carefully the players now choose their words when asked about him in interviews.

In one breath, for instance, Polamalu speaks of his franchise's need to get back to the traditions that built "Steeler football " - ball-control offense, great defense, solid special teams and depth, i.e. a team-first foundation. "If one of those aspects of our game lacks, then we lose the game," Polamalu said. "That's how important 'Steeler football' is."

Yet in another thought, Polamalu suggests how hard it could be to reclaim the Steeler Way without Roethlisberger, who's led the team to two Super Bowl titles.

"We've won games without Ben, but I don't think we can win a championship without him," Polamalu said. "Or, it would be really tough to win a championship without him."

As for his personal disappointment in Roethlisberger, yeah, it's there, Polamalu said. But he likened it to "dealing with a brother in that you say, 'Oh, man, come on; you're better than that.' "

Is he? And regardless of that answer, can the Steelers respond? Because if America truly needs football, well, Pittsburgh - proud home to a record six Lombardi Trophies - demands it.

Tom Robinson, (757) 446-2518, tom.robinson@pilotonline.com

SanAntonioSteelerFan
06-27-2010, 01:28 AM
This guy writes like he's Florio's Mini-Me.

I know these guys have families they need to support or something, but really, they should get some federal funds for job retraining and STAY ... AWAY ... FROM ... THE ... KEYBOARD.

hawaiiansteel
06-27-2010, 01:31 AM
Okay, the owners are selfish...so what's the point Troy?

Oviedo
06-27-2010, 08:25 AM
Sounds like Troy is willing to bring the union to the owners position. Good for him since he doesn't ewant a lock out.

It never ceases to amaze me how the people who take the financial risks and own businesses are suppose to cater to the people they made millionaires who otherwise in most cases couldn't get a $50K job without the opportunities the NFL has given them.

NorthCoast
06-27-2010, 09:03 AM
Sounds like Troy is willing to bring the union to the owners position. Good for him since he doesn't ewant a lock out.

It never ceases to amaze me how the people who take the financial risks and own businesses are suppose to cater to the people they made millionaires who otherwise in most cases couldn't get a $50K job without the opportunities the NFL has given them.

The reality is that the personal 'financial risks' you refer to were taken many decades ago when Mr. Rooney plunked down a few thousand dollars of his own checking account on a completely unknown 'product' called the Pittsburgh Steelers. Very few large companies play with their owners money anymore. It's all linked to investment funds, banks and, in the case of pro football, the host cities. But as my employer says, if you don't like the pay or conditions of work, you are free at anytime to find a better situation.

Oviedo
06-27-2010, 09:12 AM
But as my employer says, if you don't like the pay or conditions of work, you are free at anytime to find a better situation

This is what we all deal with in the real world. Entertainers and athletes feel it is different for them.

I strongly encourage any player who wants to be a benevolent owner to purchase a team. I'm sure they will be successful with the vast business sense they possess.

feltdizz
06-27-2010, 10:17 AM
These players make millions because they generate billions...

feltdizz
06-27-2010, 10:32 AM
But as my employer says, if you don't like the pay or conditions of work, you are free at anytime to find a better situation

This is what we all deal with in the real world. Entertainers and athletes feel it is different for them.

I strongly encourage any player who wants to be a benevolent owner to purchase a team. I'm sure they will be successful with the vast business sense they possess.

Stallworth took the leap and I think more players will in the future. Peyton Manning will probably do it. Jordan did it with the Bobcats and Mario did it with the Pens and even tried to buy the Pirates but they wouldn't sell it to him.

I don't understand why people defend the owners like thy aren't trying to get over just like the players are. Owners work with more money, and most times tax payers help fund the stadium, but overall it's the same concept. Owners take risk but so do the players....