PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp Position Battles: Right Guard

hawaiiansteel
06-27-2010, 12:10 AM
Training Camp Position Battles: Right Guard

June 24th, 2010

The Steelers last major position battle going into training camp is at Right Guard. This is a crammed battle that is going to heat up more then any other battle during camp. We have already seen Trai Essex stomp on First Round pick Maurkice Pouncey’s toes to try and keep his job. In all seriousness, this will be the best battle to watch in late July. There are so many scenarios that could happen and so many guys who all have some type of stake in this position.

There are 4 major players vying for the spot: last year’s starter Trai Essex, two second year players Kraig Urbik and Ramon Foster, and rookie Maurkice Pouncey.

http://bleedblackandgold.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Baltimore_Ravens_v_978a-300x200.jpg

The interior offensive line could get a complete facelift this season. Previous starters Hartwig and Essex have their work cut out for them. There are some good young guys coming up behind them, and they may not be able to hold them off any longer.

I love the fact that there is competition this year. We normally go into camp with a veteran laden team, and we know who the starters are before we even have a practice. I am happy to see the influx of youth coming in and making their presence known. I hope some of them break through and get some time. Field experience is the biggest factor in the learning curve. You can study, practice and lift as many weights as you want but until you feel that field underneath you, you just don’t know. Let’s see if one of the young guys is going to make it.

http://www.titansgab.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/essex.jpg

Option 1: Trai Essex – Essex was the starter last season and did a decent job. He filled the role adequately, but he really was the only option when training camp started. The previous starter Darnell Stapleton was injured and out for the season. The only other people behind him were two rookies who hadn’t had a chance to learn the offense yet. He was not handed but given the job without much of a fight. He won’t get that lucky this year. Casey Hampton has said that Essex is the hardest guy on the team to get through, but that only means that he is a good one on one player. In today’s game, you don’t end up in a one on one match up very often unless you are the center. You are moving around and passing off players to get to the next level, so you may never even block a player one on one in the midst of any given play. He also is not trying to take the center role so it does not apply in that scenario. In my opinion, Essex is the backup. He is a great player to have on your team because he can play any position on the line in a need role, but he does not have the skills to do it day in and day out. I do not see Essex still being in this role when the season starts.

http://bleedblackandgold.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/2-249x300.jpg

Option 2: Kraig Urbik - Urbik was last year’s third round pick who seemed to have trouble picking up the offense when he first arrived in town. He underachieved and did not even dress for most of the games. He was inactive and not really a contributor. During OTAs, Urbik was running with the second team as the center. He was not even in this position with the first or second team. That does not bode well for Urbik. I would like to see him in the preseason to see what he actually has in him.

http://www.donnan.com/images/TC09_Ramon-Foster.jpg

Option 3: Ramon Foster - Foster was an undrafted rookie who worked his way into the good graces of the coaching staff. Foster took over Essex old role of swing lineman. He was the number one backup at all positions on the offense line. Foster was thrust into the starting lineup when Kemo went down with a arm injury. He filled in well for a rookie. He was not a world beater, but it was an on the spot move. Foster is more of a run blocking offensive linemen. He is able to get to the second level but is not very strong as a pulling guard. He did a good job of pass blocking in his short time on the field. Foster was the 6th best linemen on the team last year. That will end up being his role again this year.

Option 4: Maurkice Pouncey - Pouncey was running with the second team at right guard during OTAs. I still am of the mindset that Pouncey is a center and that is what he was brought here to do. His best chance to start right now though is at right guard. That is where he has been working out and that is where he is going to be the most comfortable in this offense. Pouncey is a great pass blocker and will only improve playing at guard where he has a chance to see what is coming at him. The Steelers run an abundance of plays where the guard pulls. Pouncey was a pulling center at Florida. If he can pull after snapping the ball then he will be even better at that while playing guard. We know that he can block the big man with the performances he put up against Mt. Cody and Dan Williams in the SEC last season. Pouncey’s potential here is through the roof. He could become a great guard in the NFL even if he is better as a center.

This again is a nice crop of young guys on the roster again. We look like we have a bright future ahead of us.

Final Pick: Maurkice Pouncey

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/12/07/sports/07college.xlarge2.jpg

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/artic ... rd/2789934 (http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/Training_Camp_Position_Battles_Right_Guard/2789934)

Oviedo
06-27-2010, 08:26 AM
I still think that the future NLT 2011 will be Pouncey at Center and Urbik at Guard.

RuthlessBurgher
06-27-2010, 11:10 AM
I still think that the future NLT 2011 will be Pouncey at Center and Urbik at Guard.

Or if Urbik underwhelms this season like he underwhelmed last season and Pouncey experiences rookie success, could we address the interior line early twice in a row and go with Pouncey at Center and another Pouncey at Right Guard? We'd have instant chemistry between them (obviously) since they have played next to each other since before they could tie their shoes, and our most glaring weakness last season (C-RG) could be an absolute strength going forward.

Flasteel
06-27-2010, 12:15 PM

Or if Urbik underwhelms this season like he underwhelmed last season and Pouncey experiences rookie success, could we address the interior line early twice in a row and go with Pouncey at Center and another Pouncey at Right Guard? We'd have instant chemistry between them (obviously) since they have played next to each other since before they could tie their shoes, and our most glaring weakness last season (C-RG) could be an absolute strength going forward.

I'm not a gambling man by nature, but I'd be willing to drop some serious coin that we won't go interior O-line with our top pick in back to back years. Something terribly wrong would have to transpire before such a scenario could begin to look plausible. Let's just hope it doesn't come down to it.

D Rock
06-27-2010, 04:32 PM
Next year almost has to be D-Line out of necessity. The Steelers had the time to train Ziggy and he will need to step in real soon, and hopefully they can get another guy in there at NT or DE and have him trained and ready to go when needed as well.

Another possibility could be an OT depending on where they pick in the 1st round and who is available. It doesn't appear they think of Colon as a long term answer judging on how they have handled his contracts and lack of long term extension.

RuthlessBurgher
06-27-2010, 07:48 PM
Next year almost has to be D-Line out of necessity. The Steelers had the time to train Ziggy and he will need to step in real soon, and hopefully they can get another guy in there at NT or DE and have him trained and ready to go when needed as well.

Another possibility could be an OT depending on where they pick in the 1st round and who is available. It doesn't appear they think of Colon as a long term answer judging on how they have handled his contracts and lack of long term extension.

There are certainly at lot of possibilities...

I'm not overly worried about DE right now. Aaron Smith is the greybeard of the group...he's still strong, but injuries tend to have more of an impact as you get older. Keisel and Eason may be "middle-aged" now, but they are still in the prime of their career...not yet on the down-slide. Then they have Ziggy Hood, Sonny Harris, and Doug Worthington as young prospects. I'd say we are pretty well set for now as well as for the future (although there appears to be a lot of quality d-linemen that should be available in the next draft who could be studs as 3-4 DE's, such as Alabama's Dareus, OSU's Heyward, Nebraska's Crick, and Miami's Bailey).

At NT, we don't have the same luxury of having any legit young prospects in line, and Hampton and Hoke are both on the back nine of their careers. However, there is not nearly the same depth of NT prospects coming out next year. The best NT prospect in next year's draft appears to be Powe from Ole Miss, who currently projects as a second rounder who may move up into the first if a 3-4 team gets desperate for a NT. After that, Ellis from Hampton (coincidentally) could be an interesting future replacement for Hampton on day two.

In terms of OT's, the top guys (Wisconsin's Carimi and LSU's Barksdale) will likely be gone in the top 10, as seems to be standard practice with top ranked OT's over the last several drafts. The next wave of tackles that could be considered later in the first (BC's Costanzo and Pitt's Pinkston) are more athletic guys who don't seem to match the type of bulky lineman our front office seems to prefer.

One other way we could go, if Hines Ward chooses to retire, could be to take a big WR, since the top 4 WR prospects who are projected to go in the first round are between 6'3" and 6'5" tall (Georgia's Green, Alabama's Jones, Notre Dame's Floyd, and Pitt's Baldwin). I realize that we drafted 3 WR's in the last 2 drafts (Wallace, Sanders, and Brown) but none of those guys has intimidating size.

There is also the possibility that we aren't able to re-sign Ike after this year, and if young guys like Lewis, Burnett, and Butler don't develop this season, or if McFadden or Gay take another step back, we could have a need at corner, where the top guys appear to be LSU's Peterson, Nebraska's Amukamara, Viginia's Dowling, and Texas' Wiliams.

And lastly, if Troy and/or Clark struggle with injuries again, our lack of depth at safety could be exposed...I think Allen is an upgrade over Carter, but Mundy still hasn't impressed me. We might consider an early safety such as Clemson's McDaniel, UCLA's Moore, or UNC's Williams.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
06-28-2010, 12:23 PM
My prediction:

Legursky at C.
Pouncey at RG.
Hartwig released.

You want a reach?
If the "Urbik" they drafted shows up & Pouncey continues to absorb like he has shown:
Pouncey at C.
Urbik at RG.

Yes...I said it. No arguing it. Urbik was physically surprised and mentally overwhelmed last year. Urbik is noticably a different player physically by appearance & movement. That is last years photo in this article. If that holds true in pads, "we hope" year 2 solves the mental part. If this is the case, he will challenge.

Pouncey just has too many gifts not to be on the field. The question is will the staff see enough to give him control year 1. The preseason will tell the tale. On talent, I see the C position as Pouncey, Legursky, and Hartwig. In 2009, I felt Legursky was better than Hartwig but Hartwig's knowledge slotted him there for 2009. I don't think that will be the case this year. I get the feelin Legursky & Pouncey are "going to the outside" together and both pass Hartwig by preseason end. Hartwig picked a bad time to open the door.

Foster does not have the feet you want for a G in this system. He lumbered pulling last year but was stout at the POA. Could be a solid RT with his kick slide & long arms. Essex is a valuable back-up guy no matter how you slice it. Legursky is the interior swingman at min. Hartwig gone, that leaves Hills, J Scott, & C Scott battling for the last spot. C Scott could spend a year on the PS so may the best Longhorn win.

Shawn
06-28-2010, 12:34 PM

I think for 2011 it will be Pouncey and Pouncey as stated in my sig :)

ramblinjim
06-28-2010, 12:34 PM
Good post JPN, I also like the idea of Legursky and Pouncey at Center and Right Guard.

flippy
06-28-2010, 12:40 PM
Good post JPN, I also like the idea of Legursky and Pouncey at Center and Right Guard.

I'm always disappointed when you make your point with so few words. I prefer when you ramble on and on.

phillyesq
06-28-2010, 04:18 PM

I'm not a gambling man by nature, but I'd be willing to drop some serious coin that we won't go interior O-line with our top pick in back to back years. Something terribly wrong would have to transpire before such a scenario could begin to look plausible. Let's just hope it doesn't come down to it.

Way too early for next year's draft, but with the Colon injury, OT suddenly shoots up the list of needs. I'm not sure how easy it is to come back from an achilles injury, and how likely it is that the injury will recur, but I'd have to think OT is at least a concern.

hawaiiansteel
06-28-2010, 04:44 PM
if Trai Essex is given the first shot at RT, then Maurkice Pouncey probably starts at RG and Hartwig and Legursky battle it out to see who starts at center.

D Rock
06-28-2010, 05:09 PM
Holy crap. Might as well just insert Pouncey at C, Foster at RT, and Urbik at RG and get the season under way.

There isn't going to be any chemistry at this point. I would vote for the future in this case and get the young guys in there now.

flippy
06-28-2010, 06:16 PM
Holy crap. Might as well just insert Pouncey at C, Foster at RT, and Urbik at RG and get the season under way.

There isn't going to be any chemistry at this point. I would vote for the future in this case and get the young guys in there now.

Good point. But I'm sure Tomlin is thinking the exact opposite and using this to keep Hartwig.

hawaiiansteel
06-30-2010, 06:37 PM
Here's a comment from Dale Lolley's blog....
-----------------------------

What Colon's injury means

With Willie Colon likely out for the season with a torn Achilles tendon, the door has opened for rookie Maurkice Pouncey, the Steelers' top draft pick, to step into the starting lineup from Day 1.

That's not exactly the scenario the Steelers wanted with Pouncey, but it's likely what will come to pass.

The big winner will likely be Trai Essex, who started last season at right guard. Essex was expected to be pushed out of the starting lineup at some point by Pouncey. But with Colon out, he'll likely slide over to right tackle.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

fordfixer
06-30-2010, 11:22 PM

Do you think the other Pouncey will still be there when we pick at 32?

Shawn
06-30-2010, 11:25 PM
if Trai Essex is given the first shot at RT, then Maurkice Pouncey probably starts at RG and Hartwig and Legursky battle it out to see who starts at center.

This is the safest bet and the most likely scenerio.

But, I wouldn't rule out trying Pouncey out at RT...or the signing a vet.

Shawn
06-30-2010, 11:26 PM

Depends on his play this year. But, I see Mike gone no later than mid 20's.

fordfixer
06-30-2010, 11:34 PM

:HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger

hawaiiansteel
07-07-2010, 02:46 AM

Maurkice and Mike are twins and Maurkice was selected at #18 so Mike must be going at #18 too, right?

http://www.gatorcountry.com/images/uploads/feature_pics/gchdtvday3.jpg

Oviedo
07-07-2010, 07:48 AM

I'm not sure that Pouncey #2 is as good as Pouncey #1. I could see Pouncey #2 available in Round 2 and possibly even Round 3.

Keep in mind that Guards and Centers typically do not get picked in the mid 1st Round. You also have to expect that Florida will not have the same success they have had in the past couple of years so the hype on Florida players will be much less.

Regardless of where Pouncey #2 ends up I would expect that we would grab an OT before we grab another interior OL-man. The Colon injury (and uncertain recovery) and his contract status almost dictates that you have to do that.

Captain Lemming
07-07-2010, 10:04 AM

Then the goal needs to be to make sure we dont draft 32nd, but much earlier.

One thing I hate about Tomlin is that his teams usually draft so late. In only two years he went from an average draft order to last in the league in draft order!!!

He seemed to turn the corner last year having made a huge improvement in draft order allowing us to draft one Pouncey, but if we want both we must improve our draft order or at least keep pace drafting no lower than 18th.

Fordfixers prediction of 32nd is troubling, and I fear he may be correct. :(

RuthlessBurgher
07-07-2010, 10:07 AM
Then the goal needs to be to make sure we dont draft 32nd, but much earlier.

One thing I hate about Tomlin is that his teams usually draft so late. In only two years he went from an average draft order to last in the league in draft order!!!

He seemed to turn the corner last year having made a huge improvement in draft order allowing us to draft one Pouncey, but if we want both we must improve our draft order or at least keep pace drafting no lower than 18th.

Fordfixers prediction of 32nd is troubling, and I fear he may be correct. :(

I don't care who you are, that's funny right there! :lol:

birtikidis
07-10-2010, 03:28 AM
Don't be surprised when Mike Pouncey shoots up draft boards.
where Maurice is more cerebral of a player, mike is more "nasty".
they complimented each other very well at UF. I actually think him moving to Center for the gators will hurt his draft stock. I would snatch him up... that is if Janaurice Jenkins isn't there... he'd be my pick in a heart beat.