PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl III - that guy looks familiar ....

SanAntonioSteelerFan
06-26-2010, 11:00 PM
It's on the NFL channel. They showed the Colts sideline every now and then ... hmm, looks familiar ...

I had no idea Chuck Noll was the DC for Don Shula's Colts against Namath and the Jets that year!

Couple of observations, one is that the Jets won by playing "Steeler Football" - something like 3 or 4 interceptions, and one or two fumble recoveries. Shades of things to come! :tt1 :tt2

Interesting to see how the game has evolved. For example, just about every receiver is getting mauled by the defender by today's standards, but no flag then. And the "late hits" that were routine then would probably get players ejected today.

Also ... here's the winner's prize: $15,000. Yikes!

RuthlessBurgher
06-27-2010, 12:31 AM
I hate how Joe Namath gets all of the credit for that game because of some stupid guarantee. Namath was 17 of 28 for 206 yards and no TD's or INT's. The Jets won that game because they picked off Colts' QB's 4 times, and because Matt Snell ran the ball 30 times for 121 yards and a TD, not because of Broadway Freaking Joe. That's like giving Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson credit for winning the Ravens and Buccaneers Super Bowls.

Namath is the most overrated QB of all time and the least deserving Hall of Famer in my mind. His completion percentage was only 50.1% and he threw 173 touchdowns to 220 interceptions. I realize that it was a different era, but colossal bust JaMarcus Russell has a career completion percentage of 52.1% with 18 touchdowns vs. 23 interceptions. Namath just had 10 times more of the crappy Russell-like stats.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
06-27-2010, 12:48 AM
I hate how Joe Namath gets all of the credit for that game because of some stupid guarantee. Namath was 17 of 28 for 206 yards and no TD's or INT's. The Jets won that game because they picked off Colts' QB's 4 times, and because Matt Snell ran the ball 30 times for 121 yards and a TD, not because of Broadway Freaking Joe. That's like giving Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson credit for winning the Ravens and Buccaneers Super Bowls.

Namath is the most overrated QB of all time and the least deserving Hall of Famer in my mind. His completion percentage was only 50.1% and he threw 173 touchdowns to 220 interceptions. I realize that it was a different era, but colossal bust JaMarcus Russell has a career completion percentage of 52.1% with 18 touchdowns vs. 23 interceptions. Namath just had 10 times more of the crappy Russell-like stats.

And don't forget 1 or 2 fumble recoveries, at least! I wonder who the DC for the Jets was ... here, I just looked it up, Walt Michaels, a son of a coal miner from Swoyersville, Pennsylvania. He coached a pretty darn good game!

I'm always one who looks for connections between things, and I like to imagine that a young Colts DC Chuck Noll said that night ... "If I ever coach a team, I'm going to build it like that Jets team that just beat us ... defense, turnovers, and a stout running game ...".

:tt1 :tt2