PDA

View Full Version : Soccer Sucks

SanAntonioSteelerFan
06-26-2010, 05:54 PM
Ghana 2, USA 1.

Disclosure - Today's game and the probably 40 minutes total of World Cup I've seen this year is the most soccer I've ever watched in my life.

Commentary - the soccer culture sucks. It seems to reward whining, play acting, complaining, and crybabies. The way the Ghanans play acted, AND WITHOUT PENALTY, to take time off the clock at the end of the game was sickening. I almost couldn't take it when that Ghanian lay motionless on his back at the end, NEVER HAVING BEEN TOUCHED. All for the hope that the ref doesn't add the right amount of time on the clock to make up for it.

For this reason, I don't see the sport ever taking off in this country. IMO, it's the opposite of what we value in sports, which is more of a "suck it up, don't complain, deal with it" mentality.

Soccer is like an entire team of whining wide receivers complaining they were "bumped", or basketball players taking a flop to draw a charge. Yes, they are wonderful athletes, with amazing skills. But the culture of the game sucks, IMO.

And yeah, when I see a USA player (rarely) do the same thing, I'm just as sickened.

Just my :2c And, since I'm obviously not an experienced watcher of the game, I'm open to charges of being an ignorant as*hole. It's just the way I feel right now.

feltdizz
06-26-2010, 06:00 PM
I agree... but I think the US was just as bad... way too many players looking for cards while the play was still going on...

Also remember.. if the US was up they would do the same thing... it's part of the game.

Soccer is like the NBA without scoring... imagine the NBA with games ending 15 to 12? That is what soccer is like.

and how many times can these guys run all the way down to the goal and not try to kick it in the goal? I'm not the biggest hockey fan but being from Pittsburgh it reminds me of the Pens when they try to get top fancy and play with the puck instead of shooting it and getting the rebounds.

Eddie Spaghetti
06-26-2010, 07:08 PM
pure ignorance.

the World Cup is the greatest tournament in all of sports.

don't be so afraid to embrace something you are too lazy to understand. if you can't rise to that level, at least don't mock it and make yourself look stupid.

Gus
06-26-2010, 07:15 PM
pure ignorance.

don't be so afraid to embrace something you are too lazy to understand. if you can't rise to that level, at least don't mock it and make yourself look stupid.

how can you say 'pure ignorance'?

the dude invested at least 40 minutes in careful impartial observation before coming to any blanket conclusions. :lol:

hawaiiansteel
06-26-2010, 07:28 PM
With over 3.5 billion fans worldwide, soccer is the most popular sport on the planet and the World Cup is the most watched sporting event in the world.

It's unfortunate that many Americans don't understand the world's most beautiful game...

http://isportacus.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/37.jpghttp://isportacus.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Portugal_babe_euro_2008.jpghttp://airbornecombatengineer.typepad.com/photos/dumpster_dash/girl_soccer_fans_26.jpg

SanAntonioSteelerFan
06-26-2010, 07:37 PM
pure ignorance.

I'm glad you really really like the World Cup, "the greatest tournament in all of sports". I can definitely see why you feel this puts you above someone who "can't rise" to your level!

And, realizing what incredible insight and perspective you have, I guess I MUST be wrong - dishonestly flopping and writhing in falsified pain to draw an undeserved penalty on the opponent MUST be the epitome of good sportsmanship!

I'm such a :loser . Will you ever accept my apology?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
06-26-2010, 07:38 PM
With over 3.5 billion fans worldwide, soccer is the most popular sport on the planet and the World Cup is the most watched sporting event in the world.

It's unfortunate that many Americans don't understand the world's most beautiful game...

http://isportacus.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/37.jpghttp://isportacus.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Portugal_babe_euro_2008.jpghttp://airbornecombatengineer.typepad.com/photos/dumpster_dash/girl_soccer_fans_26.jpg

OK, Hawaiian steel, I'm beginning to get it now!!

:Boobs :Boobs

Ozey74
06-26-2010, 07:40 PM
I too don't care for the WC. I don't understand the the hype. However, I don't think this qualifies me as being lazy and/or stupid.

Bring on training camp!

:tt2

SidSmythe
06-26-2010, 08:06 PM
Soccer is LAME!!! I'd rather watch cooking shows or exercise videos.

The only soccer i've seen was at the gym while doing cardio. All I see is silly slappin' and patty cake. Talk about drama!!

SanAntonioSteelerFan
06-26-2010, 09:09 PM
Check out the player getting machine-gunned down in cold blood ...

http://www.postgameheroes.com/?p=9495

SanAntonioSteelerFan
06-26-2010, 09:24 PM
[youtube:2j65simb]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wcCw9RHI5mc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wcCw9RHI5mc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube:2j65simb]

that's pretty funny, i hadn't seen that yet. :lol:

thanks, i'm going to send this to my Italian soccer buddy...maybe this will cheer him up after watching his countrymen get eliminated in the group stage. :Cheers

Eddie Spaghetti
06-26-2010, 09:37 PM
maybe you should venture out of your moms basement and watch a match with your fellow countrymen before you comment and look like a fool. if you cannot appreciate the drama of the World Cup, well then i feel sorry for you.

please feel free to continue looking stupid...

birtikidis
06-26-2010, 09:53 PM
Soccer sucks. period. how is a tournament where teams without a win still have a chance to make it to the next round enjoyable. the utter lack of scoring, the excitement players and fans get when they TIE makes me think that the French invented it. You can have soccer. bunch of pillow biters.
and the next person that says that that donavan turd is a national hero, without listing a single GI in the same sentence can kiss my A$$. athletes are not national heros.

Chucktownsteeler
06-26-2010, 09:56 PM
I watched the game today as well and have to say it lacks a lot to me as well. If you enjoy, good for you. However, I thought it was lame and a lot of players "taking falls" and "writhing in pain" for a few minutes, then returning to action as nothing happened. They are great actors.

I won't miss it for four years!

Not my game, but if you like it, enjoy!

Maybe if they buried a "random" land mine in the field it would peak my attention.

Chucktown

SanAntonioSteelerFan
06-26-2010, 10:03 PM
maybe you should venture out of your moms basement and watch a match with your fellow countrymen before you comment and look like a fool. if you cannot appreciate the drama of the World Cup, well then i feel sorry for you.

please feel free to continue looking stupid...

Thank you for feeling sorry for me, I feel so relieved after reading that. I have been thinking about moving out from her basement, and I think you have given me the strength to actually do it. You're a good guy Eddie, thanks!

OK, Eddie, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, in case English isn't your first language. It's not that I don't appreciate the drama. Though frankly, I find more drama in the NFL playoffs, the Olympics, or even the NBA playoffs or MLB playoffs.

It's just that I find the drama almost completely marred by the flops and dives.

I thought the comment about the Italians being the biggest floppers and divers was pretty interesting, what did you think, Eddie? Do you watch these games and just ignore the flops and dives? What team do you think are the biggest floppers and divers, Eddie Spaghetti?

feltdizz
06-26-2010, 10:19 PM

We see none of these chicks during the game or at half time.

At least the NFL shows cheerleaders before and after commercials...

Sugar
06-26-2010, 10:22 PM
Soccer sucks? Water is wet. What's the point? Of course soccer sucks. Well, it is good for girls and pre-teen boys and european "men."

Eddie Spaghetti
06-26-2010, 10:31 PM
thanks to the magic of DVR, i have watched every game. it is pretty well known the italians are masters of the "dark arts". there has been little "flopping" in this cup, but how would you know since you only watched 40 minutes?

i just don't understand the hostility towards the game of world futbol.

your animosity makes you look ignorant, but don't worry about aplologizing.(again)

SanAntonioSteelerFan
06-26-2010, 10:43 PM
thanks to the magic of DVR, i have watched every game. it is pretty well known the italians are masters of the "dark arts". there has been little "flopping" in this cup, but how would you know since you only watched 40 minutes?

your animosity makes you look ignorant, but don't worry about aplologizing.(again)

Actually, Eddie, I don't have any animosity to the game at all. I just said in my original post that I don't think it will take off here in the States, and I explained why. Faking injury to get a flag thrown on one's opponent isn't worthy of being called an "art", dark or not, IMO. If it floats your boat, though, good for you, Eddie!

You've done a lot of name calling, Eddie ("ignorant ... lazy ... stupid..."), you sound like you might have a little bit of animosity, Eddie.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
06-26-2010, 10:45 PM

Actually, Eddie, I don't have any animosity to the game at all. I just said in my original post that I don't think it will take off here in the States, and I explained why. Faking injury to get a flag thrown on one's opponent isn't worthy of being called an "art", dark or not, IMO. If it floats your boat, though, good for you, Eddie!

You've done a lot of name calling, Eddie ("ignorant ... lazy ... stupid..."), you sound like you might have a little bit of animosity, Eddie. Maybe you should get out of the house a little bit, instead of watching all those soccer games on DVD, Eddie?

Eddie Spaghetti
06-26-2010, 10:49 PM
yawn.

i'm not the one who ran to the internet and started a "soccer sucks" thread after watching 40 minutes of a knockout match. sorry you missed out on the enjoyment of a great tournament and good showing by the national team. maybe you can get the russian hockey team on cable later this month.

but hey, your dead bird sig really rocks!!!

SanAntonioSteelerFan
06-26-2010, 11:03 PM
yawn.

i'm not the one who ran to the internet and started a "soccer sucks" thread after watching 40 minutes of a knockout match. sorry you missed out on the enjoyment of a great tournament and good showing by the national team. maybe you can get the russian hockey team on cable later this month.

but hey, your dead bird sig really rocks!!!

OK, Eddie, nothing new to say here. Good luck in the rest of the WC, hope your team does well!

stlrz d
06-26-2010, 11:04 PM
I agree with the thread title...and I even played soccer on the club team in college. All that running was good cardio.

Eddie Spaghetti
06-26-2010, 11:07 PM
i really encourage you to watch the Germany Vs. England game tomorrow. think those countries have any history?

Team Holland.

Total Football.

hawaiiansteel
06-26-2010, 11:35 PM
i really encourage you to watch the Germany Vs. England game tomorrow. think those countries have any history?

Team Holland.

Total Football.

yes, you totally gotta love the Dutch!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_2oq2bSN-S9o/SOAl-e3LZ4I/AAAAAAAAB28/894BVLyZRug/s400/netherlands+soccer+fans.jpghttp://attuworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/holland-netherlands-dutch-sexy-soccer-babe.jpg

Discipline of Steel
06-26-2010, 11:47 PM
Soccer sucks? Water is wet. What's the point? Of course soccer sucks. Well, it is good for girls and pre-teen boys and european "men."

Im from Michigan and I play soccer. We have our championship game tomorrow morning. I totally love it! To each his own.

hawaiiansteel
06-26-2010, 11:51 PM

Im from Michigan and I play soccer. We have our championship game tomorrow morning. I totally love it! To each his own.

good luck with your game...please let me know how you did, the suspense is almost too much to bear!

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/3196564.bin?size=620x400

SanAntonioSteelerFan
06-27-2010, 12:25 AM

good luck with your game...please let me know how you did, the suspense is almost too much to bear!

Dear Genie - For my 3rd and last wish, I wish I could be HER sunglasses ...

BTW - Discipline of Steel - good luck on your game tomorrow AM (I'm guessing you're sleeping now in preparation)! I have a feeling I'd like college soccer a lot more, probably not too much acting? What position do you play?

hawaiiansteel
06-27-2010, 01:47 AM

Go Germany (Deutschland)!

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slideshows/366/slideshow_36695/display_image.jpg?x=776245

NJ-STEELER
06-27-2010, 04:00 AM
soccer doesn't suck

It blows :D

j/k eddie

flippy
06-27-2010, 07:52 AM
Commentary - the soccer culture sucks. It seems to reward whining, play acting, complaining, and crybabies. The way the Ghanans play acted, AND WITHOUT PENALTY, to take time off the clock at the end of the game was sickening. I almost couldn't take it when that Ghanian lay motionless on his back at the end, NEVER HAVING BEEN TOUCHED. All for the hope that the ref doesn't add the right amount of time on the clock to make up for it.

For this reason, I don't see the sport ever taking off in this country. IMO, it's the opposite of what we value in sports, which is more of a "suck it up, don't complain, deal with it" mentality.

Soccer is like an entire team of whining wide receivers complaining they were "bumped", or basketball players taking a flop to draw a charge. Yes, they are wonderful athletes, with amazing skills. But the culture of the game sucks, IMO.

And yeah, when I see a USA player (rarely) do the same thing, I'm just as sickened.

Just my :2c And, since I'm obviously not an experienced watcher of the game, I'm open to charges of being an ignorant as*hole. It's just the way I feel right now.

The US coach agrees with you about the fake flops. The end of game stuff is like kneeling on a the football inside of 2 minutes, no biggie. It's expected. I feel like the whole extra time thing is somewhat arbitrary anyways. And the US lost the game by coming out flat at the beginning of the game more than running out of time in the end.

But the bigger issue is when flopping leads to yellow/red cards and great players miss games because of the bs.

In reality, these athletes are tough and probably some of the best in the world. The shots they take to the legs and knees are brutal. I swear my shin still hurts from a collision I had playing soccer 15 years ago.

I am a huge fan of the clock never stopping and the limited substitutions. And I'm always amazed these guys can go full speed and still control a ball without hands.

It's a shame we get conditioned in the US not to like soccer at a young age. Here, the talented jocks play baseball, football, and basketball. And the nerds end up running cross country or playing soccer. And they even let girls play soccer with the boys, so it seems like a sissy sport. But nothing is further from the truth.

It's a very skilled sport. But if I had being a kid all over again, I'd probably play the American created sport of lacrosse.

At the end of the day, it's not like I'd watch soccer if the Americans weren't playing or if there was any other sport on at the same time. But it still is a pretty good game.

The Man of Steel
06-27-2010, 10:54 AM
The pending soccer "craze" in the US is similar to what happened to the Metric System hype in the 70's. The Metric System was supposedly coming to America and we'd all have to conform to it. Well, decades later we're still waiting for it to take us all by storm. Anyhow we're Americans so we start trends and the fact is that we have our own football and if the rest of the world doesn't like it then we could care less. I'm sure that the rest of the world doesn't lose any sleep over the fact that a lot of Americans think that watching soccer is no more entertaining than watching paint dry.

RuthlessBurgher
06-27-2010, 11:32 AM
The pending soccer "craze" in the US is similar to what happened to the Metric System hype in the 70's. The Metric System was supposedly coming to America and we'd all have to conform to it. Well, decades later we're still waiting for it to take us all by storm. Anyhow we're Americans so we start trends and the fact is that we have our own football and if the rest of the world doesn't like it then we could care less. I'm sure that the rest of the world doesn't lose any sleep over the fact that a lot of Americans think that watching soccer is no more entertaining than watching paint dry.

The lonely 2 liter bottle...estranged from the rest of its metric brethren...we should get a petition started to change it to a 2 quart bottle so it can be fully accepted here. :lol:

http://www.omahabiodiesel.net/images/dietcoke.JPG

feltdizz
06-27-2010, 11:41 AM
Soccer is fun to play... So is baseball. But these sports are hard to watch IMO.

People hate soccer, so what. Some people hate football... I don't hate them cause they hate it. Eddie Spagetti loves soccer.. but the guy needs to understand on a football board he will not win this argument.

It's not like SanAntonio jumped on a soccer board to say he hates it. I'm jus glad it's over because we lost to a team who had 2 PK goals as their only goals all WC and I watched #3 give up on the winning goal.

Like I said... Soccer is the NBA without scoring.

Steelgal
06-27-2010, 11:51 AM
I enjoy watching soccer, just not really the MLS (US version of soccer). I could watch some of the great teams of Europe play any day of the week.

I do agree that the whining and trying to 'fake' injuries to get a yellow/red card is excessive. I was screaming at the tv yesterday during the extra 30 minutes played when Ghana was going into overload on this. I mean a guy was taken off of the field on a stretcher. As soon as he reached the sidelines, go up, then when he realized his replacement was getting ready to check-in, went onto the field ready to play. To me that's poor sportsmanship and I think it should be stopped. But the refs for FIFA have their own rules and not much can be done about it, so I just deal with it. Because of it, I hope Ghana loses to Uruguay.

I will still watch the rest of the World Cup and hope to see a couple of games go to penalty kicks. That's when it gets good.

frankthetank1
06-27-2010, 12:37 PM
I too don't care for the WC. I don't understand the the hype. However, I don't think this qualifies me as being lazy and/or stupid.

Bring on training camp!

:tt2

no kidding. is the rest of the world ignorant or lazy because they dont like the nfl? is personal opinon. i hate soccer, its way too slow and low scoring for me. i would rather watch baseball or hockey and i dont care to watch either of those sports all that much. i love football and basketball with a passion, but i dont think a person is lazy or ignorant if they dont care for either sport.

stlrz d
06-27-2010, 12:48 PM
soccer doesn't suck

It blows :D

j/k eddie

She's gone from suck to blow!

http://datacore.sciflicks.com/spaceballs/images/spaceballs_large_15.jpg

Ozey74
06-27-2010, 01:12 PM
Colin Cowherd thinks soccer fans are made up of 5'7" guys named Nick, Trey, or Ethan.

I found this funny (and I am 5'7").

Discipline of Steel
06-27-2010, 01:34 PM
Colin Cowherd thinks soccer fans are made up of 5'7" guys named Nick, Trey, or Ethan.

My name is Albert and im 6'0". Ive never heard of Colon Cowherd.

Ozey74
06-27-2010, 01:43 PM

My name is Albert and im 6'0". Ive never heard of Colon Cowherd.

He is the host of SportsNation on ESPN that airs every afternoon during the week. He also has is own show on ESPN radio weekday morning's from 10-1.

AngryAsian
06-27-2010, 01:44 PM

The US coach agrees with you about the fake flops. The end of game stuff is like kneeling on a the football inside of 2 minutes, no biggie. It's expected. I feel like the whole extra time thing is somewhat arbitrary anyways. And the US lost the game by coming out flat at the beginning of the game more than running out of time in the end.

But the bigger issue is when flopping leads to yellow/red cards and great players miss games because of the bs.

In reality, these athletes are tough and probably some of the best in the world. The shots they take to the legs and knees are brutal. I swear my shin still hurts from a collision I had playing soccer 15 years ago.

I am a huge fan of the clock never stopping and the limited substitutions. And I'm always amazed these guys can go full speed and still control a ball without hands.

It's a shame we get conditioned in the US not to like soccer at a young age. Here, the talented jocks play baseball, football, and basketball. And the nerds end up running cross country or playing soccer. And they even let girls play soccer with the boys, so it seems like a sissy sport. But nothing is further from the truth.

It's a very skilled sport. But if I had being a kid all over again, I'd probably play the American created sport of lacrosse.

At the end of the day, it's not like I'd watch soccer if the Americans weren't playing or if there was any other sport on at the same time. But it still is a pretty good game.

I think you have some great points here, Flip. Some of the stereo-types mentioned I don't quite agree with. Regionally speaking, Florida is considered within top 3 when speaking of state powerhouses in American Football (if not number 1). But even a very football oriented climate, as early as the mid 80's (when I was in high school) soccer was far from a "nerd-magnet" sport. In our neck of the woods the surfers played soccer and were on an equal plain with football and basketball.

As for some of the other assertions on this thread, my opinions on various subjects:

Yes, all the flopping and play acting really detracts from the game.

Yes, it could use some high-end technology to help game outcomes (play reviews and hockey goal technologies).

No, it will never have the appeal in the U.S. like it does practically everywhere else in the world.

No, the players of soccer aren't like a lot of prima donna, WRs in American Football. Their training to fall and flop are exactly like basketball players taking/selling the charge.

Yes, HawaiinSteel's viewpoint on the subject is probably the most insightful of any poster on this thread. I think his contributions on the thread topic, should collectively merit "post of the year" honors. :Boobs :Boobs :Boobs

hawaiiansteel
06-27-2010, 04:38 PM
Yes, HawaiinSteel's viewpoint on the subject is probably the most insightful of any poster on this thread. I think his contributions on the thread topic, should collectively merit "post of the year" honors. :Boobs :Boobs :Boobs

thank you AngryAsian... :Cheers

and in honor of the Asian teams at the World Cup:

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/122/015/RackMultipart.25548.0_display_image.jpg?1259942477 http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/122/016/RackMultipart.25548.1_display_image.jpg?1259942486

flippy
06-27-2010, 04:57 PM

That's why all the guys have those big horns.

hawaiiansteel
06-27-2010, 05:25 PM

That's why all the guys have those big horns.

http://viviennemackie.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/vuvuzela2.jpg

jj28west
06-27-2010, 07:20 PM
Good stuff Hawaiin,

That Korean Babe is fine.

Watched Mexico & Argentina & was looking for the punter type of acadamy awards. I know these guys are running full speed but come on.

Maybe this is part of the game but watch a typical NFL or NHL game and see the hits these guys take and get up from without the dramatics and one could understand where several of you are coming from.

Maybe this is apples and oranges and a POV of someone who does not understand the game. I am not trying to pi$$ anyone off for you that follow it and appreciate it.

One other thing as already pointed out by another poster is why not more shots on goal?

papillon
06-27-2010, 08:27 PM
The flopping is the second biggest reason for soccer not being popular as a spectator sport in the USA. The number one reason for soccer not being popular in the USA are dads. Many dads have a bias towards football and attempt to usher their kids in that direction. In my case I let our kids pick and choose what sports they want to play and what sports they want to watch. I played baseball competitively until I was about 28 years old; but our kids have no interest in playing baseball, it's too slow for them. Other dads start their kids in soccer (because, in our area you can play soccer when your 4 or 5 and not football until you're in the third grade.) and then urge them to give it up and play football. I won't try to sway our kids one way or the other; I'll leave it up to them, at this point, they love soccer and play as often as possible.

Our school district plays top notch soccer and haven't had a losing season in the past 15 years, they're the county champs 7 years running, won a few district titles and managed to garner a state title two years ago. It's a great game if you take the time to watch and understand the game and open your mind to give it a chance.

Flopping will always be a major contributing factor to soccer being a second class citizen in this country. I've heard both of our boys tell a player from the other team "to get up and play" after a hard tackle (good for them). They both hate flopping and when they play a team with a flopper they seem to seek him out and give him his comeuppance, so to speak. :wink:

Soccer, love it, like it or hate it, it's cool, but if you have kids introduce them to it and let them decide. It's a great game in my opinion and I enjoy every weekend at the pitch watching our kids play.

Pappy

SidSmythe
06-27-2010, 08:30 PM
Soccer Sucks!!!

Discipline of Steel
06-27-2010, 09:38 PM

BTW - Discipline of Steel - good luck on your game tomorrow AM (I'm guessing you're sleeping now in preparation)! I have a feeling I'd like college soccer a lot more, probably not too much acting? What position do you play?

thank you guys, but we lost. I played stopper, center D in front of last man. Defense is tough because you can play the whole game great and one mistake ends up making the difference. Case and point... I was having a nice game, blocked a few shots, connected on all of my passes and i also just curled one over the head of the defense that got us a shot on goal. We were tied 1-1 and their big gun had just blown by the right fullback . I was covering the guy coming down the middle while the sweeper pushed out on the guy with the ball. I knew the pass to the center was coming, and i was in good position, then the ball came in, and their player hit a pass back to the original guy, who scored the go ahead goal. I was there but i just didnt make the play. I dont like to lose but i dont feel bad. We played a respectable game and im sore as hell.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
06-27-2010, 10:13 PM

thank you guys, but we lost. I played stopper, center D in front of last man. Defense is tough because you can play the whole game great and one mistake ends up making the difference. Case and point... I was having a nice game, blocked a few shots, connected on all of my passes and i also just curled one over the head of the defense that got us a shot on goal. We were tied 1-1 and their big gun had just blown by the right fullback . I was covering the guy coming down the middle while the sweeper pushed out on the guy with the ball. I knew the pass to the center was coming, and i was in good position, then the ball came in, and their player hit a pass back to the original guy, who scored the go ahead goal. I was there but i just didnt make the play. I dont like to lose but i dont feel bad. We played a respectable game and im sore as hell.

Sorry to hear, Discipline, sounds like an exciting game.

Say, as our resident soccer expert, can I ask your opinion please? That go ahead goal the Ghanains got on us ... was that a mistake on our defense (something akin to letting the offense get behind them, or something), or was it just a really great offensive play that we would not reasonably be expected to do anything about?

Thanks!

hawaiiansteel
06-27-2010, 11:19 PM
That go ahead goal the Ghanains got on us ... was that a mistake on our defense (something akin to letting the offense get behind them, or something), or was it just a really great offensive play that we would not reasonably be expected to do anything about?

Thanks!

it was Bill Clinton's fault...

Blame Bill Clinton? How A Rush Of Sudden Attention May Have Made Team USA Lose Focus

June 26th, 2010

http://www.sportsgrid.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Screen-shot-2010-06-26-at-4.39.16-PM-300x225-219x165.png

So ó Dream Team USA fell to Ghana in extra time, in a 120-plus-minute game that itís fair to say had a nation riveted. Hard not to feel glad for Ghana in their joy at the victory, and as one of their team ran the flag íround the stadium in joy and victory ó but here in Soccertown USA, which has swelled in population over the past two weeks as World Cup fever has raged, vuvuzelas have buzzed and Team USA has gone from strength to strength, itís a bitter pill indeed.

Right now itís sinking in ó as I type, Bob Bradley puts on a brave face for the mic in his grill on ABC ó but pretty soon as the match is pulled apart and dissected by true fans and fairweather experts alike, the blame game will begin. But even before todayís historic match played out in overtime as two phenomenal teams of phenomenal, highly muscular and not a little bit attractive athletes battled it out for primacy in the Beautiful Game, I heard one name mentioned a few times, with worry: Bill Clinton.

Okay people blame Bill Clinton for a LOT. And he was far, far from that field during the play, and he was not there in shiny shorts speeding his cleats across the field. But ó he was in the teamís locker room after the last game, drinking a beer with the boys (thatís him above, pictured with Team USA captain Carlos Bocanegra, per the latterís Facebook account). Similarly, the team got a call from President Obama, letting them know that a nation (not to mention a White House) was watching and cheering them on.

But could being sudden homegrown heroes have been a distraction? I heard the alarm sounded on Morning Joe yesterday morning, by ESPNís Roger Bennett, who fretted that the sudden attention and things like ďBill Clinton in the lockah roomĒ could pull focus (Rogah is very British). He reiterated that point last night on Charlie Rose, talking about the World Cup with ESPN soccer commentator Tommy Smyth and Sports Illustratedís Jen Chang. Both times he noted that what had gotten the team this far had been focus and unity, and getting distracted by newly famous friends, media attention and the glamorous and lucrative world of endorsement and book deals would only be derailing for that work ethic.

So did that happen here? Who knows? Personally, I tend to think that any team who makes it this far is pretty awesome, frankly, and itís not like the Ghanains are slouches ó they did beat Team USA by the exact same score four years ago at Nuremburg, after all. And if that near-repeat miracle kick toward the end had been just a bit lower, the story would be very different (or, tying it up, would have had a fighting chance to be). I mean, that ridiculously marathon Wimbledon match was played between two guys, but John Isnerís name is the one I keep hearing. No matter how well-trained, well-matched or well-built (and Lord knows these players are well-built!), only one can win.

In this case, despite the high hopes of a nation riveted by soccer for all of two weeks, it was Ghana. ďSoccerís a cruel game sometime,Ē said Landon Donovan after the game, but in this case, maybe not ó thereís no shame in losing to a team of champions, no matter how close you get. The only thing thatíll be cruel is if the Bill Clintons, the Obamas, the media and the legions of new fans suddenly fall away, distracted by the next shiny object that bounces by. Because the Beautiful Game will still be beautiful (and frankly, so will all those soccer players) ó and more beautiful still will be next time, when a nation of new fans will have four more years of caring to make it matter even more.

But maybe then, just to be safe, they should keep Clinton out of the locker room.

http://www.sportsgrid.com/media/blame-b ... ose-focus/ (http://www.sportsgrid.com/media/blame-bill-clinton-how-a-rush-of-sudden-attention-may-have-made-team-usa-lose-focus/)

http://cdn.guyism.com/wp-content/uploads/tnUSA2.jpg

Discipline of Steel
06-27-2010, 11:31 PM

Say, as our resident soccer expert, can I ask your opinion please? That go ahead goal the Ghanains got on us ... was that a mistake on our defense (something akin to letting the offense get behind them, or something), or was it just a really great offensive play that we would not reasonably be expected to do anything about?

Thanks!

Im sure a few on here could qualify for that title but here goes... Gyan simply outran two defenders. Speed kills. The left D could have played him closer, got a body on him until his help arrived. Howard should have come out more on Gyan but was stuck in nowhere land and the ball got looped over his head. Overall, it was a good play by Ghana but defendable. I think they were tired.

hawaiiansteel
06-28-2010, 02:41 AM
I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's games: Slovakia vs Holland -

http://cdn.guyism.com/wp-content/uploads/tnSlovakia1.jpghttp://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/7802/slide_7802_103733_large.jpg

and Chile vs. Spain -

http://cdn.guyism.com/wp-content/uploads/chile2.jpghttp://cdn.guyism.com/wp-content/uploads/Spain3.jpg

focosteeler
06-28-2010, 03:22 AM
these pictures remind me of reading stuff on bleacher report haha....not that i mind :mrgreen:

papillon
06-28-2010, 09:06 AM

Thanks!

Here's my opinion of the play. First of all you have to realize at this level of competition that only in the following instance do players simply kick the ball just to kick the ball. The other thing you need to know is that 30-40 yard passes that are accurate are the norm and not the exception (our oldest sons U13 team connects on 20-25 yard passes regularly). As a defender you have to assume that if a forward (striker) is in your area that he is going to be a target of a pass either from a defender or mid-fielder. In this case I believe the defenders (both of them) simply lost their mark on Gyan.

The USA was attacking a Ghanian made a tackle and played the ball forward. Gyan made a beautiful play on the ball, but this type of long strike offense is defended every game at this level. Howard seemed a bit caught by surprise as well. had he come off his line a second sooner he may have been able to protect the high shot due to angle.

All in all from my perspective the striker did what any world class striker is going to do, but the defenders didn't do what world class defenders do. Other than the two goals the USA played a very good game, they were outplayed ion the first half, dominated the second half and had a mental lapse in extra time. This USA team is very good; unfortunately, they are a bit long in the tooth for competition at this level. I hope there are some young guns coming along.

Pappy

AngryAsian
06-28-2010, 10:10 AM
Here's my opinion of the play. First of all you have to realize at this level of competition that only in the following instance do players simply kick the ball just to kick the ball. The other thing you need to know is that 30-40 yard passes that are accurate are the norm and not the exception (our oldest sons U13 team connects on 20-25 yard passes regularly). As a defender you have to assume that if a forward (striker) is in your area that he is going to be a target of a pass either from a defender or mid-fielder. In this case I believe the defenders (both of them) simply lost their mark on Gyan....

Pappy

The greatest illustration of this fact is the game between England and Germany, where Manuel Neuer's 90 yard goal kick was the assist to Miroslav Klose's one-touch goal. Has to be in the top 3 thus far in this World Cup. The only sad thing is that Klose didn't do his signature forward flip after the goal.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Admin/BkFill/Default_image_group/2010/6/27/1277649313008/Miroslav-Klose-David-Jame-006.jpg

flippy
06-28-2010, 12:47 PM
The greatest illustration of this fact is the game between England and Germany, where Manuel Neuer's 90 yard goal kick was the assist to Miroslav Klose's one-touch goal. Has to be in the top 3 thus far in this World Cup.

That was something. And accuracy over a long distance is what I think makes most sports amazing.

A hole in one in golf.

A 70 yard strike in football.

A 3/4 court swish.

Things you could do 1 million times and never connect once. But some athletes connect and others barely miss pretty regularly.

RussBII
06-28-2010, 03:22 PM
I'm a regular soccer basher. This World Cup is going to change that. I have really really enjoyed every match I've watched. The flopping sucks, but whatever its part of the game like fighting in hockey and flopping in basketball. The reffing is atrocious, but name me a sport where it isn't.

The almost coast to coast goal in the 91st minute of the Algeria game is the sports highlight of the year for me (Woodley and Troy might have something to say about that come football season.) I really really enjoyed that game.

Here's my .02 on why soccer won't ever catch on here in the US like it has everywhere else:

1) A lot of teams play boring soccer (or so it seems). It's only when the WC gets down to the last game of the group stage, and/or the elimination games that it really picks up. I have to admit that soccer is a total snooze fest when a team goes up 1-nil and they play keepaway.

2) We're pretty spoiled here in the US. All of the major sports require a lot of specialized equipment/fields. Basketball would be the cheapest if you already access to some hoops. Football and Hockey are insanely expensive if you have to buy all the equipment. Baseball requires at least 9 mitts per game. Soccer? You need a ball, a flat area, and you can just make up goals. I think this is probably the #1 reason for its insane popularity overseas. It's sooo accessible. There are only like 15 major rules, so its very easy to learn.

Well thems my thoughts.

hawaiiansteel
06-29-2010, 03:18 AM
the next games pit Spain vs. Portugal -

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/122/024/RackMultipart.21784.0_display_image.jpg?1259942686 http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/122/022/RackMultipart.13503.0_display_image.jpg?1259942672

and Japan vs. Paraguay -

http://funnyhub.com/content_images/4463_2232_japanese-soccer-fan.jpghttp://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/122/020/RackMultipart.27453.0_display_image.jpg?1259942613

Dee Dub
06-29-2010, 03:16 PM
pure ignorance.

:roll: Yeah right what does it rank in America? Does it even crack the top ten in popularity? What is the highest watched sporting event of all time? Try the last two Super Bowls. I get so tired of the lames trying to jam soccer down my throat when in my country it cant even crack the top 10.

Soccer sucks!!! I would rather watch paint dry. And my fellow countrymen stand right there with me.

Dee Dub
06-29-2010, 03:21 PM
I'm a regular soccer basher. This World Cup is going to change that. I have really really enjoyed every match I've watched. The flopping sucks, but whatever its part of the game like fighting in hockey and flopping in basketball. The reffing is atrocious, but name me a sport where it isn't.

The almost coast to coast goal in the 91st minute of the Algeria game is the sports highlight of the year for me (Woodley and Troy might have something to say about that come football season.) I really really enjoyed that game.

Here's my .02 on why soccer won't ever catch on here in the US like it has everywhere else:

1) A lot of teams play boring soccer (or so it seems). It's only when the WC gets down to the last game of the group stage, and/or the elimination games that it really picks up. I have to admit that soccer is a total snooze fest when a team goes up 1-nil and they play keepaway.

2) We're pretty spoiled here in the US. All of the major sports require a lot of specialized equipment/fields. Basketball would be the cheapest if you already access to some hoops. Football and Hockey are insanely expensive if you have to buy all the equipment. Baseball requires at least 9 mitts per game. Soccer? You need a ball, a flat area, and you can just make up goals. I think this is probably the #1 reason for its insane popularity overseas. It's sooo accessible. There are only like 15 major rules, so its very easy to learn.

Well thems my thoughts.

How about the fact that it's greatest event isnt even played yearly? Or every two years? Say you are 10 and you see the world cup. You are captured by it at 10. Then you dont seeing it again for another 4 years. All the while you see the NBA Championship, World Series, or Superbowl every year. Young kids are won over by that not some lame arse sport that has games ending in Nil-Nil.

flippy
06-29-2010, 03:30 PM
How about the fact that it's greatest event isnt even played yearly? Or every two years? Say you are 10 and you see the world cup. You are captured by it at 10. Then you dont seeing it again for another 4 years. All the while you see the NBA Championship, World Series, or Superbowl every year. Young kids are won over by that not some lame arse sport that has games ending in Nil-Nil.

You bring up an interesting point about every 4 years. Why not have an annual world cup to keep the world fan base?

I'd also like to see World Hockey more often than every 4 years.

Dee Dub
06-29-2010, 06:06 PM

You bring up an interesting point about every 4 years. Why not have an annual world cup to keep the world fan base?

Shhhhhhhhhhh....dont let this out. It is the secret to winning over more Americans as fans. But the powers that be are clueless. They think it's more important to have the specialness of the 4 years in between. Kind of like the Olympics. Yeah and I say...how many kids in American dream about growing up to be great Olympians compared to those who grow up dreaming about being the next Michael Jordan, Brett Farve, or Derek Jeter? Heck Mixed Martials Arts and Nascar draw more fan viewers in America than Soccer does.

AngryAsian
06-29-2010, 06:08 PM

Because these guys play for ball clubs in various leagues for Alex Rodriguez coin. I think if Cristiano Ronaldo's Real Madrid 6 year contract goes to term for the full six years he makes 107 million euros.... that's sick when you think of the exchange rate to the American dollar. I don't think LeBron, Kobe or any other of those guys would like to play for the National team yearly for a cup that doesn't earn them significant compensation.

flippy
06-29-2010, 06:24 PM

Because these guys play for ball clubs in various leagues for Alex Rodriguez coin. I think if Cristiano Ronaldo's Real Madrid 6 year contract goes to term for the full six years he makes 107 million euros.... that's sick when you think of the exchange rate to the American dollar. I don't think LeBron, Kobe or any other of those guys would like to play for the National team yearly for a cup that doesn't earn them significant compensation.

Wow, that's a lot of money. I had no idea soccer players got so much.

Discipline of Steel
06-29-2010, 06:31 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":1plur9rz]

Shhhhhhhhhhh....dont let this out. It is the secret to winning over more Americans as fans. But the powers that be are clueless. They think it's more important to have the specialness of the 4 years in between. Kind of like the Olympics. Yeah and I say...how many kids in American dream about growing up to be great Olympians compared to those who grow up dreaming about being the next Michael Jordan, Brett Farve, or Derek Jeter? Heck Mixed Martials Arts and Nascar draw more fan viewers in America than Soccer does.[/quote:1plur9rz]

I beleive its because each event takes four years planning, like the Olympics. Multiple venues, qualifying rounds...the World Cup is just the Finals of a years long tournament.

calmkiller
06-29-2010, 08:17 PM
I don't watch soccer because of the kids that played in when I was in High school. They were the sons of Doctors and Lawyers. High class bastards that thought they were better than you and "their sport" was better than "my stupid Football" That is why I will never watch soccer and don't care for it. Just because 3/4 of the world loves it doesn't mean 3/4 of the world is right.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
06-29-2010, 08:36 PM

Dear Genie of the Lamp: my mistake, I want to be her CELLPHONE

http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/8100/slide_8100_108048_large.jpg?1277858024525

NJ-STEELER
06-30-2010, 12:54 AM

Wow, that's a lot of money. I had no idea soccer players got so much.

plus the players themselves get "bought out" of their contracts by owners who want them on their team. the transfer fees can be just as high.

P.S. they do have a UEFA chamionship every year which is like the world series or superbowl. its a tournamnet of the top club teams in various leagues (i think they keep it to european leagues). so the top teams in each league (which pretty much have the top players) battle it out.

in talent level, its prolly above the world cup

SteelAbility
06-30-2010, 10:22 AM
Knives aren't evil because people use them to stab other people. The people stabbing other people are the evil.

Soccer doesn't suck. The players who flop/writhe/fake to get an edge sucks. The refs who let them get away with it suck. The FIFA organization that doesn't crack down on crap like this sucks.

As a matter of fact, the skill level required in Soccer way exceeds that of American Football. And the dynamic, on-the-fly teamwork required in Soccer also exceeds that of Football (which is dominated by practiced, scripted, schematic plays and, of course, pure brute strength, which is about 75% of the game). From an aesthetic/beauty/subtlety point of view, there isn't even a comparison. Soccer is way out of Football's league.

:2c :moon

flippy
06-30-2010, 11:19 AM
Soccer is like hockey but slower, without substitutions, without sticks, on grass instead of ice, and with a ball instead of a puck, and without plays behind the goal.

I do think it would be interesting if they had a small playing area behind the goal in soccer.

flippy
06-30-2010, 11:26 AM
P.S. they do have a UEFA chamionship every year which is like the world series or superbowl. its a tournamnet of the top club teams in various leagues (i think they keep it to european leagues). so the top teams in each league (which pretty much have the top players) battle it out.

I need a team to follow. Any suggestions? Who do the soccer fans on here root for?

Which team is like the Steelers, Pens, or Buccos?

I'm not below rooting for the Pittsburgh Pirates of soccer either. I just need a great reason to pick a team to follow. My favorite Pittsburgh athlete of all time is Roberto afterall.

flippy
06-30-2010, 11:31 AM
Another question, should I use my ancestory to pick a team?

I'm mostly German and Slovak. I've also got some French. And then a spattering of most of the other Eurpean countries in me. I really am a mutt which makes it hard to choose.

ANPSTEEL
06-30-2010, 12:21 PM

Dear Genie of the Lamp: my mistake, I want to be her CELLPHONE

http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/8100/slide_8100_108048_large.jpg?1277858024525

Hot babes rooting for floppers, I mean soccer, :P :lol: is getting better all the time.

Apparently, this adoring fan has promised to run naked (albeit in body paint) if Paraguay wins the WC. Now that is something I can root for!

Go Paraguay!! :tt1 :tt1

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/2 ... ml#s108048 (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/29/larissa-riquelme-lingerie_n_629975.html#s108048)

focosteeler
06-30-2010, 12:49 PM

I need a team to follow. Any suggestions? Who do the soccer fans on here root for?

I'm not below rooting for the Pittsburgh Pirates of soccer either. I just need a great reason to pick a team to follow. My favorite Pittsburgh athlete of all time is Roberto afterall.
since we dont get all the champions league games here i tend to go for whatever team has an american playing for them... :D but ive always been partial to root for Arsenal...apparently my dads third cousin (or some bs like that, he could never remember ) played for them in the 90's

RussBII
06-30-2010, 12:58 PM

since we dont get all the champions league games here i tend to go for whatever team has an american playing for them... :D but ive always been partial to root for Arsenal...apparently my dads third cousin (or some bs like that, he could never remember ) played for them in the 90's

What leagues does the UEFA cover? La Liga? Bundesliga? Premiership? Serie A? (I just know those from passing). Is it every top European league?

I was in Barcelona last year during some HUGE soccer game. That really piqued my interest. When Barca scored, the city... the ENTIRE CITY cheered. It was really cool.

focosteeler
06-30-2010, 01:05 PM
Another question, should I use my ancestory to pick a team?

I'm mostly German and Slovak. I've also got some French. And then a spattering of most of the other Eurpean countries in me. I really am a mutt which makes it hard to choose.

you can if you want to... but if you listened really close during some of the cup games you heard that most players do not play for their native country...the top teams are usually chelsea, man united, real madrid, bayern munich (if you choose off of ancestory i'd pick them)

focosteeler
06-30-2010, 01:09 PM

What leagues does the UEFA cover? La Liga? Bundesliga? Premiership? Serie A? (I just know those from passing). Is it every top European league?

I was in Barcelona last year during some HUGE soccer game. That really piqued my interest. When Barca scored, the city... the ENTIRE CITY cheered. It was really cool.

UEFA is the top 32 teams in europe i believe. i think the top 3 or 4 teams from the different european leagues quallify. not completely sure...i should probably check on that...

papillon
06-30-2010, 02:47 PM

Flippy, here's some information that may help you in your endeavor to become a soccer fan.

If you want to watch ball possession, attacking soccer from anywhere on the field try FC Barcelona. They have the best player in the world (Lionel Messi - Argentina) and two of the best mid-fielders in the world (Xavi Hernandex and Andres Iniesta). Their keeper isn't anything special and Carlos Puyol is an excellent defender who doesn't mind making a hard tackle. This is the team I follow; they are in La Liga.

If you like lightning quick offense and good defending an Italian team might be more to your liking. AC Milan or Inter-Milan would be good choices here they are usually at the top of the table in their league (Serie A). The best keeper in the business played for one of them (GianLuigi Buffon), but he's older now and isn't quite as good as he used to be, but still quite good. I don't care for Serie A, because in my estimation the Italians are the biggest floppers in the world.

Bundesliga is the German league and Bayerm-Munich are the UEFA cup champions for this year. Teams in this league will play good solid defense and look to counter attack quickly, they typically employ speedy outside mid-fielders to do this. If you happened to watch Germany play this past week you would have seen two excellent examples of good defense and the quick counter for two of their goals.

The English Premier League is the best league in the world top to bottom and you can't go wrong following any team here, but I would suggest Arsenal, Chelsea, or Manchester United. Dempsy and Howard play for teams in the EPL, but I can't recall which ones (I do know that they are not any of the top tier teams). If you like feisty rough soccer this league is for you. There's no room to be a wilting flower in this league they tackle hard and make no excuses for it.

I hope this helps. Of course, if you want to stay stateside, follow any team in the MLS. The soccer is getting better, but not nearly to the level of any of the European leagues. The USA team could compete in Europe, but would probably be middle pf the pack in any of the leagues. European league play is even better than the World Cup, because they can buy the team they want.

Pappy

flippy
06-30-2010, 03:03 PM

Flippy, here's some information that may help you in your endeavor to become a soccer fan.

If you want to watch ball possession, attacking soccer from anywhere on the field try FC Barcelona. They have the best player in the world (Lionel Messi - Argentina) and two of the best mid-fielders in the world (Xavi Hernandex and Andres Iniesta). Their keeper isn't anything special and Carlos Puyol is an excellent defender who doesn't mind making a hard tackle. This is the team I follow; they are in La Liga.

If you like lightning quick offense and good defending an Italian team might be more to your liking. AC Milan or Inter-Milan would be good choices here they are usually at the top of the table in their league (Serie A). The best keeper in the business played for one of them (GianLuigi Buffon), but he's older now and isn't quite as good as he used to be, but still quite good. I don't care for Serie A, because in my estimation the Italians are the biggest floppers in the world.

Bundesliga is the German league and Bayerm-Munich are the UEFA cup champions for this year. Teams in this league will play good solid defense and look to counter attack quickly, they typically employ speedy outside mid-fielders to do this. If you happened to watch Germany play this past week you would have seen two excellent examples of good defense and the quick counter for two of their goals.

The English Premier League is the best league in the world top to bottom and you can't go wrong following any team here, but I would suggest Arsenal, Chelsea, or Manchester United. Dempsy and Howard play for teams in the EPL, but I can't recall which ones (I do know that they are not any of the top tier teams). If you like feisty rough soccer this league is for you. There's no room to be a wilting flower in this league they tackle hard and make no excuses for it.

I hope this helps. Of course, if you want to stay stateside, follow any team in the MLS. The soccer is getting better, but not nearly to the level of any of the European leagues. The USA team could compete in Europe, but would probably be middle pf the pack in any of the leagues. European league play is even better than the World Cup, because they can buy the team they want.

Pappy

Thanks for the info. So are these separate leagues or are they divisions in the same league?

I get the idea that you're saying EPL is the NFL, another is the USFL, another is NCAA, and the other is Arena league quality.

Any idea who gets broadcasted the most in the US?

RussBII
06-30-2010, 03:39 PM

Pappy

Thanks for the info. So are these separate leagues or are they divisions in the same league?

I get the idea that you're saying EPL is the NFL, another is the USFL, another is NCAA, and the other is Arena league quality.

I think it's more like 4 separate NFLs that combine to play a big tournament.

takagi
06-30-2010, 03:47 PM

Separate leagues! But the 4 best teams from each league (+ few clubs from smaller leagues) will compete each other in the Champions League.

My suggestion would be Man United (I'm a United supporter since I was a kid :D )
They are competitive each and every year and if you want to draw some parallels with the Steelers then their coach sir Alex Ferguson has been at the helm since 1986 and they invest to their own domestic players (more than any other big club in England)
Chelsea is built with Russian money and Arsenal just sucks (full of french and other legionaries)

But Premier League is the league to watch...hard nose soccer, no divers, best supporters, best traditions and I really really like English stadiums :D ..they are so packed and the atmosphere is magnificent!

flippy
06-30-2010, 04:22 PM

Separate leagues! But the 4 best teams from each league (+ few clubs from smaller leagues) will compete each other in the Champions League.

My suggestion would be Man United (I'm a United supporter since I was a kid :D )
They are competitive each and every year and if you want to draw some parallels with the Steelers then their coach sir Alex Ferguson has been at the helm since 1986 and they invest to their own domestic players (more than any other big club in England)
Chelsea is built with Russian money and Arsenal just sucks (full of french and other legionaries)

But Premier League is the league to watch...hard nose soccer, no divers, best supporters, best traditions and I really really like English stadiums :D ..they are so packed and the atmosphere is magnificent!

Sounds like a good team in the best league which I like.

Now I just have to find some connection to Manchester. I do like the UK when I've visited, but I've primarily only visited London.

I do like British humor. And accents. And they speak a similar language and are the first European country to stand by the US in practically everything we do. So there's that connection. And I always enjoy watching how hard the British open courses are.

London was the first European city I ever visited, so it's kinda like being born in Pittsburgh I guess.

AngryAsian
06-30-2010, 04:34 PM
Soccer is like hockey but slower, without substitutions, without sticks, on grass instead of ice, and with a ball instead of a puck, and without plays behind the goal.

I do think it would be interesting if they had a small playing area behind the goal in soccer.

You should watch an indoor game. Its an amalgam of hockey and soccer. Less field, less players and walls to play off of... hockey on grass. Extremely fast.

flippy
06-30-2010, 04:38 PM

You should watch an indoor game. Its an amalgam of hockey and soccer. Less field, less players and walls to play off of... hockey on grass. Extremely fast.

I'll have to check out a game.

I suspect it's like the Arena league compared to the NFL and I'm not a big fan of the way the arena game plays. It's interesting but the field seems too short compared to the NFL field.

I like the way the long plays play out in the outdoor soccer game.

I just need to find a team that I can connect to like the way I connect to Pittsburgh sports.

AngryAsian
06-30-2010, 04:43 PM

I suspect it's like the Arena league compared to the NFL and I'm not a big fan of the way the arena game plays. It's interesting but the field seems too short compared to the NFL field.

I just need to find a team that I can connect to like the way I connect to Pittsburgh sports.

Watch Real Madrid (Spanish League). They're pretty much the New York Yankees of Europe. They always have the biggest payroll and have the premiere players. Right now they have Brazil's best product on their roster in KaKa and Portugal's young phenom in Cristiano Ronaldo... truly a tandem worth watching. But I have to go with Pap's assessment. England's Premiere League is the gold standard if you want the best of both worlds in physicality and skill.

eniparadoxgma
06-30-2010, 05:13 PM
I, too, do not like soccer.

However, I recommend google imaging Larissa Riquelme. You won't be disappointed. :Cheers

ikestops85
06-30-2010, 05:42 PM

However, I recommend google imaging Larissa Riquelme. You won't be disappointed. :Cheers

What if I want to do more than just google her? :twisted:

NJ-STEELER
06-30-2010, 06:10 PM

lacross is more like hockey then soccer

hawaiiansteel
06-30-2010, 06:28 PM

yeah, SanAntonioSteeler wants to be her cell phone... :lol:

http://cdn.worldcupblog.org/www.worldcupblog.org/files/2010/06/paraguay1.jpg

flippy
06-30-2010, 07:05 PM

Why limit ourselves?

http://blogs.reuters.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/06/kiss300.jpg

hawaiiansteel
06-30-2010, 07:41 PM

Why limit ourselves?

why limit ourselves to only two? :Boobs

http://www.forum-for-football.com/jwallpapers_files/2010/4/big_thumb_b3934bbd37be895ba9592de044f129e1.jpg

Discipline of Steel
06-30-2010, 11:27 PM

Flippy just pick Germany for the World Cup and be done with it. They play the toughest defense, hard-nosed. Its like watching the inside of a clock, the way they rotate around the field. Lahm is excellant. I hope they beat Argentina but that looks like a tall order.

papillon
06-30-2010, 11:58 PM

Pappy

Serie A - Italian League
La Liga - spanish league
English Premier league (also know as The Premiership) - england
Bundesliga - Germany

Each of these leagues are the equivalent of the NFL. They pay big dollars (more than US sports figures in some instances), attract the best players in the world and provide the best entertainment.

I saw someone mention the indoor game. This is a great game and great entertainment for the price. We regularly go and watch the Baltimore Blast play tickets run about $20 bucks and refreshments are reasonable. For about $115 - $125 dollars I take our family of 4 to a game and we have a great time. The game is fast, they substitute on the fly (1 minute to 1.5 minute shifts), it's balls out while you're on the floor, there's a 2 point shot (an arc like basketball) and there are penalties which involve playing a man down for a minute. Great game and involves a completely different skill set than the outdoor game. The athletes are accessible and likable (even the ones you learn to not like).

The league is struggling; there are only five teams, but they are looking to expanmd this year. Baltimore, Monterey (Mexico I think), Milwaukee, Rockford and Philly are the teams in the league (http://www.misl.net/) right now. Oh, let me add, the games are extremely family friendly (of course, there are always the jerks, but the league and teams in the league cater to the fans).

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
07-01-2010, 03:13 AM

Flippy just pick Germany for the World Cup and be done with it. They play the toughest defense, hard-nosed. Its like watching the inside of a clock, the way they rotate around the field. Lahm is excellant. I hope they beat Argentina but that looks like a tall order.

GO GERMANY!

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/3298579_f496.jpg
http://s3.hubimg.com/u/3298578_f496.jpg
http://s4.hubimg.com/u/3298575_f496.jpg
http://s1.hubimg.com/u/3298572_f496.jpg
http://s3.hubimg.com/u/3298570_f496.jpg
http://s2.hubimg.com/u/3298561_f496.jpg
http://s1.hubimg.com/u/3298560_f496.jpg
http://s4.hubimg.com/u/3298559_f496.jpg
http://s4.hubimg.com/u/3298555_f496.jpg

SteelAbility
07-01-2010, 10:22 AM

Pappy

Inter Milan beat Bayern for the UEFA Champions League crown. Are you thinking of another German team that won the UEFA Cup (the one that is one tier down from the Champions League)?

SteelAbility
07-01-2010, 10:25 AM

One of THE most entertaining teams to watch is Arsenal in the EPL. However, lately, they seem to keep falling short of hardware as they can't seem to beat ManU or Chelsea and have two or three brain-farts against the Detroit Lions type teams in the EPL. But they are beautiful watch, for sure.

NJ-STEELER
07-01-2010, 07:16 PM

One of THE most entertaining teams to watch is Arsenal in the EPL. However, lately, they seem to keep falling short of hardware as they can't seem to beat ManU or Chelsea and have two or three brain-farts against the Detroit Lions type teams in the EPL. But they are beautiful watch, for sure.

do you watch them regularly?

if so, how is edguardo playing?

hawaiiansteel
07-01-2010, 09:38 PM

Why limit ourselves?

why would we ever consider limiting ourselves during the World Cup? :Cheers

http://www.socceralley.com/pictures/03-2010-fan.jpg

Iron Shiek
07-02-2010, 08:18 AM
I saw someone mention the indoor game. This is a great game and great entertainment for the price. We regularly go and watch the Baltimore Blast play tickets run about $20 bucks and refreshments are reasonable. For about $115 - $125 dollars I take our family of 4 to a game and we have a great time. The game is fast, they substitute on the fly (1 minute to 1.5 minute shifts), it's balls out while you're on the floor, there's a 2 point shot (an arc like basketball) and there are penalties which involve playing a man down for a minute. Great game and involves a completely different skill set than the outdoor game. The athletes are accessible and likable (even the ones you learn to not like).

The league is struggling; there are only five teams, but they are looking to expanmd this year. Baltimore, Monterey (Mexico I think), Milwaukee, Rockford and Philly are the teams in the league (http://www.misl.net/) right now. Oh, let me add, the games are extremely family friendly (of course, there are always the jerks, but the league and teams in the league cater to the fans).

Pappy

Pap,

Remember when the Cleveland Force and Baltimore Blast regularly clashed....those were the days!

haha.

Iron Shiek
07-02-2010, 09:36 AM
I'm sad that I've been away for so long and missed out on this thread.

I never like to portray soccer as this high and mighty game that "stupid americans are too lazy to understand." If people like it, they like it, I stopped arguing my side a long time ago.

The best selling point for this world cup is out on youtube. Google "fan reaction to Donovan's goal" and there are several videos that take place in pubs/bars all across the country, not just in one city. Those reactions seem to be 8 times the intensity of any football game reaction I have ever witnessed (other than FWP's 75 yard run in the Super Bowl, Hockeytown cafe had to basically replace the roof). But this wasn't happening for one team's fanbase, it was happening to all Americans that were supporting the team, and people that didn't even know much about soccer but got caught up in the hype. So for that fact alone, giving everyone in the country a united reason to cheer seems like a huge reason why US Soccer might continue to catch on and stick.

With that said, I will continue with my belief that soccer will never become the next major American sport...it may stay on the outer rim of NFL/NBA/MLB, and that's fine by me.

And littering the thread with hot soccer women is also fine by me! :Boobs

hawaiiansteel
07-03-2010, 04:28 PM
Germany 4 - Argentina 0

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/media/photo/2010-07/54735886.jpg

Discipline of Steel
07-03-2010, 07:03 PM
Germany 4 - Argentina 0

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/large/124289417.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1278189834&Signature=kPs3poADdLDl1xfOnAhEWdbwbwI%3D

That was an awesome display of outworking the opponent. Seemed like there was a man in black at every turn for Arg. Maradonna got outcoached.

hawaiiansteel
07-03-2010, 07:10 PM
[quote="hawaiiansteel"]Germany 4 - Argentina 0

yes, it seemed like everytime an Argentinian turned around there was a German just waiting for him...

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/04_03/hitchinMOS1904_468x286.jpg

papillon
07-04-2010, 10:51 PM

Pappy

Inter Milan beat Bayern for the UEFA Champions League crown. Are you thinking of another German team that won the UEFA Cup (the one that is one tier down from the Champions League)?

You are correct. Inter beat Bayern 2-0 to win the Champions Cup this year. I try to limit my alcoholic intake prior to posting, obviously that day I limited nothing. :P

Pappy

ANPSTEEL
07-06-2010, 12:54 PM
sorry, I couldn't let this die.

And while it is not really relevant to the sport- it is definitely part of the event. :Cheers

In a game of "one upsmanship" started by the Argentinian coach Diego Maradona, who indicated that he would run through the streets naked if Argentina won the WC, and greatly improved upon by Paraguayan lingerie model Larissa Riquelme.

The act of public exhibitions for World Cup victory has now been raised to the unimaginable/disturbing heights by porn chick Bobbi Eden, (apparently of dutch decent)

http://twitter.com/BobbiEden/status/17871111144

Thought this was worth a laugh

:Cheers

phillyesq
07-06-2010, 02:09 PM
I'm way late to the party here, but I watched both World Cup games on Saturday, and I really enjoyed it. I think perhaps what makes WC soccer so enjoyable was the announcing. There were points where you would get 5-10 seconds of silence, and it was magnificent. No Joe Buck mindlessly jabbering throughout the game. No explanation of countless back stories, no obvious suggestions along the lines of "they need to score," just very simply describing the action. Instead of constantly trying to create a false sense of excitement, the announcers simply the game speak for itself. And I enjoyed it.

Later during the weekend, I caught part of the Philadelphia Union game on tv. It was terrible. The precision and ability that made WC soccer so enjoyable was completely lacking. Instead, there was a frantic pace to the game, and it just didn't have the same appeal.

I can see myself watching soccer post WC, but it will probably be one of the European leagues. And even though I enjoy soccer, I still like the NFL, and even MLB, more.

RuthlessBurgher
07-06-2010, 02:43 PM
There were points where you would get 5-10 seconds of silence, and it was magnificent.

You must really hate Joe Buck if you prefer the "silence" of endless vuvuzela buzzing to him. :wink:

phillyesq
07-06-2010, 03:55 PM
There were points where you would get 5-10 seconds of silence, and it was magnificent.

You must really hate Joe Buck if you prefer the "silence" of endless vuvuzela buzzing to him. :wink:

I should have added, the vuvuzela is a big negative. But I'll take a vuvuzela over Joe Buck in a heartbeat. :lol:

flippy
07-07-2010, 08:27 AM
endless vuvuzela

that's what hawaiian keeps posting pictures of, right? all the hot vuvuzela at the soccer matches.

sorry, my spanish is a little rusty....

hawaiiansteel
07-07-2010, 08:02 PM
endless vuvuzela

that's what hawaiian keeps posting pictures of, right? all the hot vuvuzela at the soccer matches.

sorry, my spanish is a little rusty....

Spain was better than Germany today and won 1-0 to advance to the World Cup Finals...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_2oq2bSN-S9o/SOAlTp-BLXI/AAAAAAAAB2k/m3WIls5ew8s/s400/spanish+soccer+fan.jpghttp://www.soccermusic.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/sexy-german-soccer-football-fans.jpg