PDA

View Full Version : Eagles should have traded Vick when they had a chance

plainnasty
06-25-2010, 02:17 PM
If Ben gets 6 games for being accused of a crime, Vick might be done.

VIRGINIA BEACH A man was shot outside of a Virginia Beach club early this morning at a birthday party for NFL star Michael Vick.

Police have not identified the shooting victim, but a spokesman for Sentara Virginia Beach General Hospital confirmed that Quanis Phillips one of the co-defendants in Vick's 2007 federal dogfighting trial was admitted early this morning and was listed in good condition. The spokesman would not discuss the nature of Phillips' injuries, and he said Phillips has declined to speak with media.

Several people who attended the party say that the shooting outside Guadalajara, in the 4600 block of Columbus Street in the Town Center of Virginia Beach, occurred at one of a handful of birthday celebrations for Vick last night. The party was advertised as a star-studded event via the Twitter feed of Vick's brother, Marcus.

Adam Bernstein, spokesman for Virginia Beach police, declined to comment on whether Vick was present at the club at the time of the shooting.

The shooting occurred around 2:10 a.m. Bernstein said a fight broke out as the club was closing, and one man was shot.

Vick, who starred at Warwick High School in Newport News, turns 30 years old on Saturday. He spent 21 months in prison after pleading guilty in federal court to charges related to a dogfighting ring operated out of a home he owned in Surry County. Phillips, who was a high school football teammate of Vick's, was also sentenced to 21 months after pleading guilty.

Vick was released from prison last summer. He was reinstated to the NFL and signed with the Philadelphia Eagles. He spent the 2009 season as a backup quarterback with the Eagles, and the team picked up his option for the upcoming 2010 season.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/michae ... 7967.story (http://www.dailypress.com/sports/michaelvick/dp-nws-vick-party-shooting-20100625,0,7967967.story)

hawaiiansteel
06-25-2010, 02:33 PM
doesn't sound like Michael Vick had anything to do with it except that it was his birthday party...

are you just saying this because Michael Vick is black? :lol:

Crash
06-25-2010, 02:57 PM
Still hanging around the same posse?

What did he learn?

Pattern of behavior?

Suspend him again.

plainnasty
06-25-2010, 03:00 PM
doesn't sound like Michael Vick had anything to do with it except that it was his birthday party...

I'm sure there is a probabtion violation in there somewhere, with alcohol, guns, known criminal associations. But Goodell doesn't care about crimes. It obviously a pattern of behavior and hanging out with the wrong people in the wrong places. And supposedly it was Vick who got into a confrontation with guy who ended up getting shot.

plainnasty
06-25-2010, 03:02 PM

I'm sure there is a probation violation in there somewhere, with alcohol, guns, known criminal associations. But Goodell doesn't care about crimes. It obviously a pattern of behavior and hanging out with the wrong people in the wrong places. And supposedly it was Vick who got into a confrontation with guy who ended up getting shot.

hawaiiansteel
06-25-2010, 03:10 PM
Report: Quanis Phillips was shot, after confrontation with Vick

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 25, 2010

The news that a man was shot at a 30th birthday party for Eagles quarterback Michael Vick has taken a twist, with reports that Quanis Phillips, one of the co-defendants in the infamous dogfighting case that landed Vick in prison, was the victim in the shooting -- and that he was shot after a confrontation with Vick.

The Daily Press of Hampton Roads (Va.) reports that a spokesman for Sentara Virginia Beach General Hospital confirmed that Phillips was admitted early this morning and was listed in good condition.

A spokesman for Virginia Beach police said the shooting occurred around 2:10 a.m. ET after a fight broke out at the club where Vick was having a birthday party, just as the club was closing.

According to Daily Press reporter David Squires, Phillips showed up to the party even though Vick is not supposed to be associating with any of his dogfighting co-defendants.

Squires writes that there was a confrontation between Phillips and Vick inside the party, that the confrontation then moved outside, and that's when Phillips was shot.

Vick's lawyer, Larry Woodward, says Vick was not involved and was not present when the shooting occurred.

According to the Daily Press report, there were witnesses who "don't want it to be known if they were witnesses." Police say the victim and witnesses were uncooperative.

In 2004, Vick was present when Phillips allegedly stole a Rolex watch from an airport X-ray belt.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... with-vick/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/25/report-quanis-phillips-was-shot-after-confronatation-with-vick/)

RuthlessBurgher
06-25-2010, 03:33 PM
The Milledgeville incident occurred when Ben was out celebrating his 28th birthday, and the sorority girls were out that night celebrating one of their "sister's" birthdays as well. Now, this shooting occurs at a birthday party for Michael Vick.

Moral of the story?

People should stop having birthday parties when they are 12. When you get too old for Chuck E. Cheese, then the birthday parties should stop. I might be willing to make an exception for people who get taken out for their 21st birthday, but that's it. Your next birthday party after that should be when you turn 100.

I turned 35 three weeks ago. My wife and kids took me out to dinner and my mother baked me a cake. Good enough. There is no need for an actual party for a guy my age (or guys turning 28 or 30 for that matter). We've outgrown balloons and party favors, and birthday parties don't belong in bars. Leave the birthday parties to the kids. You are adults now, Ben, Mike, and Sorority Sister X, so act like it. Stop the birthday madness!

Crash
06-25-2010, 06:59 PM
Suspend Vick. Still hanging around the wrong people.

Either he gets 4-6, or Ben gets re-instated.

fordfixer
06-25-2010, 08:17 PM
The Milledgeville incident occurred when Ben was out celebrating his 28th birthday, and the sorority girls were out that night celebrating one of their "sister's" birthdays as well. Now, this shooting occurs at a birthday party for Michael Vick.

Moral of the story?

People should stop having birthday parties when they are 12. When you get too old for Chuck E. Cheese, then the birthday parties should stop. I might be willing to make an exception for people who get taken out for their 21st birthday, but that's it. Your next birthday party after that should be when you turn 100.

I turned 35 three weeks ago. My wife and kids took me out to dinner and my mother baked me a cake. Good enough. There is no need for an actual party for a guy my age (or guys turning 28 or 30 for that matter). We've outgrown balloons and party favors, and birthday parties don't belong in bars. Leave the birthday parties to the kids. You are adults now, Ben, Mike, and Sorority Sister X, so act like it. Stop the birthday madness!

This just in................ Rodger Godell has just taken away the birthday of all NFL players, coaches, and front office staff. more on this breaking story at 11 o-clock

siss
06-25-2010, 08:34 PM
Can't teach an old dog new tricks!

feltdizz
06-25-2010, 09:08 PM

demand more...

4-6 or Ben gets a diamond crusted helmet and any sack is an automatic roughing the passer.

You have officially lost it.

papillon
06-25-2010, 10:15 PM

demand more...

4-6 or Ben gets a diamond crusted helmet and any sack is an automatic roughing the passer.

Clearly, each event stands on its own and you don't overturn one bad behavior because another player acts even more abhorrently. If, however, Vick is found to be involved in the shooting in any manner he should be suspended. It's hard for me to see how chasing tail and acting like a rogue even remotely compares to being around when a shooting occurs. I would say that Michael Vick violated the NFL's code of conduct policy in this case (if he's involved, of course).

Pappy

Crash
06-25-2010, 10:59 PM

demand more...

Actually that would be Roger Goodell who plays with peoples lives/careers and has no values when it comes to a court of law.

He's a lawyer and he doesn't believe in due process? How hypocritical is that?

He's not even the Commish, the media runs the NFL for him.

The way the media reports issues determines what discipline he hands out.

Crash
06-25-2010, 11:11 PM
But Goodell can reduce Ben's suspension because he overreacted and still can look like a hero.

All he has to say is Ben has exceeded expectations and then he can say he was not charged with a crime so he's free to play.

All Goodell did by his knee jerk reaction was convict an innocent man in his own kangaroo court and made a bad situation much worse.

flippy
06-26-2010, 01:37 AM
People should stop having birthday parties when they are 12.

Funny but a little extreme.

It's ok to be old and act like you're 12. Just keep it wholesome fun.

Dave and Buster's is a cool place for an old guy. You can have fun with friends and still take your family. And you can have a beer or cocktail or 2 if you're into that.

Or have a surprise party at home.

Or rent out the picnic area at a ball park.

Or go tailgating and to a sporting event with friends.

Or whatever. Good wholesome fun's ok.

But bars aren't even that much worse than a football game. Some people just get drunk and stupid. And that ruins everyone's fun.

As far as Vick goes, who cares, he's not even a starter. Even if you don't suspend him, I bet he won't play.

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets released and no one picks him up.

frankthetank1
06-26-2010, 09:57 AM
both mike and marcus vick are scumbags. if the guy got shot after a confrontation with mike vick than it is pretty obvious he had something to do with it. he shouldnt get the benefit of the doubt. he is a criminal and should be banned from the nfl, nevermind any suspension. sadly im sure goodell wont do anything because this wont be a huge story.

feltdizz
06-26-2010, 11:29 AM
But Goodell can reduce Ben's suspension because he overreacted and still can look like a hero.

All he has to say is Ben has exceeded expectations and then he can say he was not charged with a crime so he's free to play.

All Goodell did by his knee jerk reaction was convict an innocent man in his own kangaroo court and made a bad situation much worse.

a hero? To who? The fringe element of Steeler Nation who thinks racism was involved and Ben was set up by Whor.es R Us Sorority?

The 6 reduced to 4 is the best Ben will get.

Crash
06-26-2010, 11:45 AM

a hero? To who? The fringe element of Steeler Nation who thinks racism was involved and Ben was set up by Whor.es R Us Sorority?

To his own ego.

Racism was involved. Blame black media and players for providing it.

When Chad Ocho says "I wonder what would happen to me if I was accused of the things Ben did" what do you think he's implying?

When players and media are demanding that Ben be treated like "Vick and Pac Man", what do you think that implies?

You know what it implies, you ignoring it doesn't mean it didn't happen though.

I wish Ben were treated like Vick and Pac Man.

Vick only got suspended after a guilty plea, and two games when he got out.

Pac Man had two arrests, and 10 incidents total with police before he was suspended.

Ben has never been charged with a crime, and yet he sits.

feltdizz
06-26-2010, 12:49 PM

To his own ego.

When Chad Ocho says "I wonder what would happen to me if I was accused of the things Ben did" what do you think he's implying?

When players and media are demanding that Ben be treated like "Vick and Pac Man", what do you think that implies?

Pac Man had two arrests, and 10 incidents total with police before he was suspended.

:Blah Life sucks when you are a victim.

Crash
06-26-2010, 12:52 PM

To his own ego.

:Blah Life sucks when you are a victim.

Translation: Crash just handed me my a$s on this topic.

It's okay son, you aren't the first.

feltdizz
06-26-2010, 01:03 PM
Nah.. you have already traveled down the Ocho tweets and black media road already..

you haven't evolved any since the Trib board... poor white man getting shafted by pressured poor white man because of the strong black man.

it's comical and depressing at the same time. It's a hame you live your life like this... I have to be honest though, Black president, black head coach, white QB in trouble, Crash blaming the black man for all of this...

Your life must suck.

Crash
06-26-2010, 01:08 PM
I didn't say poor white man, I said Ben Roethlisberger.

Ben sits.

Vince Jackson doesn't.

Ben sits.

Vince Young won't.

Ben sits.

Ray Lewis didn't.

The one guy who was not charged with a crime, or issued a citation, or has his guilt exposed via video, is the only one of the four players above who is sitting.

He's also white.

You can take from that what you will.

feltdizz
06-26-2010, 01:22 PM
I didn't say poor white man, I said Ben Roethlisberger.

Ben sits.

Vince Jackson doesn't.

Ben sits.

Vince Young won't.

Ben sits.

Ray Lewis didn't.

The one guy who was not charged with a crime, or issued a citation, or has his guilt exposed via video, is the only one of the four players above who is sitting.

You can take from that what you will.
So now he isn't white Ben? LOL

Our FO was ready to punish Ben and worked with Goodell on the suspension. Blame our FO's racism :roll: What about Holmes? We TRADED Holmes... was it black media pressure? White media pressure?

Ray Lewis wasn't under Goodell if I remember correctly.

You are on a witch hunt.

Crash
06-26-2010, 01:29 PM
Our FO was ready to punish Ben and worked with Goodell on the suspension.

I would bet the FO "worked" with Goodell to the point where they agree on the conditions of the steps to help Ben. Not on the length of the suspension. The Steelers were worried that Goodell was going to suspend him 8-10 games. You think they would have agreed with that?

I think the FO would have sat him, two games, at most.

What about Holmes? We TRADED Holmes

You mean we TRADED Holmes after:

Three arrests.

One civil suit.

Two failed drug tests.

They gave Holmes more than enough chances to change, he refused.

Wouldn't you agree?

feltdizz
06-26-2010, 01:44 PM
[quote]Our FO was ready to punish Ben and worked with Goodell on the suspension.

I would bet the FO "worked" with Goodell to the point where they agree on the conditions of the steps to help Ben. Not on the length of the suspension. The Steelers were worried that Goodell was going to suspend him 8-10 games. You think they would have agreed with that?

I think the FO would have sat him, two games, at most.

What about Holmes? We TRADED Holmes

You mean we TRADED Holmes after:

Three arrests.

One civil suit.

Two failed drug tests.

They gave Holmes more than enough chances to change, he refused.

Wouldn't you agree?[/quote:2t5jbicr]

By no means am I defending Holmes... but the quick trigger suggest our FO was trying to clean up our image. Ben falls under the same umbrella...

This isn't Ben's first time in trouble and in the news. It isn't the first time the FO has told Ben to be a better rep and he has done the exact opposite.

Ben is still here because he hasn't had as many problems as Holmes AND he wasn't up for a new contract!

Now, do you think Ben is down to his last chance as a Steeler? Would you agree? Hmmm

Crash
06-26-2010, 01:51 PM
How is Holmes the victim of a "quick trigger" when he survived three arrests and a failed drug test?

Now, do you think Ben is down to his last chance as a Steeler? Would you agree? Hmmm

All depends on the situation. If another lying whore accuses him and he's not charged? I would like to think the moral driven Rooney's would respect due process.

feltdizz
06-26-2010, 02:04 PM
How is Holmes the victim of a "quick trigger" when he survived three arrests and a failed drug test?

All depends on the situation. If another lying whore accuses him and he's not charged? I would like to think the moral driven Rooney's would respect due process.

Goodell wasn't the commish until September 2006... the first 2 arrest, minor infractions no doubt, were thrown out.

you are right though.... Holmes was given more then enough chances... but I do believe we rushed to trade him due to the PR nightmare at the time.

If another "lying whore" who Ben just met a day or 2 ago puts Ben in the news he is done.
It's not up to lying whores to have Ben's best interest at heart. It's not up to a bar, club or bouncer to have Ben's best interest... it's up to Ben and if he lets another young drunk chick pull him into a closet or bedroom it's his fault.

If he doesn't want the extra responsibility then he should take a pay cut.