PDA

View Full Version : Hines Ward: Roethlisberger needs to address Steelers

hawaiiansteel
06-24-2010, 03:00 AM
Ward: Roethlisberger needs to address Steelers

Posted: June 23rd, 2010

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4ow2Juu7nMo/SxP-avxnH0I/AAAAAAAAT-c/IkXRn0cVCjA/s1600/benhines.jpg

Steelers WR Hines Ward dropped in for a chat on “NFL Total Access” on Wednesday, and it turned out to be more informative than most offseason chats.

Ward briefly discussed QBs Ben Roethlisberger and Byron Leftwich, saying the former needs to address the team about his offseason incident with a Georgia college student, while everyone inside the locker room expects the latter to begin the season as the starter.

Ward said Roethlisberger hasn’t addressed the Steelers as a whole, but he expects it will happen — and also that it’s needed.

“A lot of players really don’t know the situation, other than what we hear in the news or the media,” Ward explained. “I think when he addresses the whole team going into training camp, we can all put it behind us and move forward.”

As for Leftwich, coach Mike Tomlin has alluded to, but not formally announced, that the veteran will replace the suspended Roethlisberger as the starter to begin the season. Ward echoed that sentiment, saying the team is entering the season thinking Leftwich is the starter.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/06/23/ward-ro ... um=twitter (http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/06/23/ward-roethlisberger-needs-to-address-steelers/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

http://nbcsportsmedia2.msnbc.com/j/msnbc/Components/Slideshows/_production/ss_060101_playoffs/060122_AFC_01.widec.jpg

stlrz d
06-24-2010, 07:52 AM
Ward is working on making a transition to the media when he finally hangs it up. I think he'll fit right in.

Steelers>NFL
06-24-2010, 07:55 AM
Unlike the media, Ward is right on about this. He does needs to fess up to the team.

stlrz d
06-24-2010, 08:12 AM
Unlike the media, Ward is right on about this. He does needs to fess up to the team.

Right or wrong is not the point. Some things are to be said behind closed doors, not to the fscking media.

I love Ward as a player but him constantly going to the media with things that should be kept private is annoying to say the least.

Hines, STFU when it comes to the media. If you really feel this way then take it to Ben man to man.

frankthetank1
06-24-2010, 08:45 AM
[quote="Steelers>NFL":3kiis02m]Unlike the media, Ward is right on about this. He does needs to fess up to the team.

Right or wrong is not the point. Some things are to be said behind closed doors, not to the fscking media.

I love Ward as a player but him constantly going to the media with things that should be kept private is annoying to say the least.

Hines, STFU when it comes to the media. If you really feel this way then take it to Ben man to man.[/quote:3kiis02m]

i know what you mean and i dont like any player talking to the media instead of addressing the issue behind closed doors but hines speaks the truth and i admire that a hell of a lot. no matter what the issue or question is he will speak his mind. hines is right about this, ben should talk to the entire team and move on with life

Oviedo
06-24-2010, 09:28 AM
Love Hines, but Hines needs to keep his mouth shut and focus on Hines and not Ben. The two of them are obviously not close but who cares. Hines pandering to the media does nothing to prepare this team for the season. Ben saying "forgive me, I'm sorry" does nothing to get ready for the season. It may make some people happy to see Ben east some "humble pie" but pretty much everyone who does has their own ego issues.

I didn't hear about Ben going national and saying Hines needed to explain to his team mates about the fraud accustaions he was accused of a couple of years ago in that restaurant/bar deal he got mixed up in.

feltdizz
06-24-2010, 09:42 AM
Love Hines, but Hines needs to keep his mouth shut and focus on Hines and not Ben. The two of them are obviously not close but who cares. Hines pandering to the media does nothing to prepare this team for the season. Ben saying "forgive me, I'm sorry" does nothing to get ready for the season. It may make some people happy to see Ben east some "humble pie" but pretty much everyone who does has their own ego issues.

I didn't hear about Ben going national and saying Hines needed to explain to his team mates about the fraud accustaions he was accused of a couple of years ago in that restaurant/bar deal he got mixed up in.

If Hines missed four games over the fraud we would all talk about it...

Hines is a WR and they tend to wear their emotions on heir jersey.

Steelers>NFL
06-24-2010, 09:57 AM
Hines did not feed anything to the media. All he said is Ben needs to address the team regarding his trouble. He did not say "Ben said he did or did not rape the girl" or
"Ben said he was stupid for putting himself in a bad position"...etc..
All he said he and his teammates needs to hear Ben come forward to the team.
Right now, all the guys can go by is what the media has been saying... blah blah blah.

Slapstick
06-24-2010, 10:15 AM
Until Hines says something to the media that shouldn't be said, he can just keep on talking as far as I'm concerned...

cruzer8
06-24-2010, 10:49 AM
Hines did not feed anything to the media. All he said is Ben needs to address the team regarding his trouble. He did not say "Ben said he did or did not rape the girl" or
Right now, all the guys can go by is what the media has been saying... blah blah blah.

Do you see the headline of the story? That's all it takes for this to become national news and to be reported everywhere. It'll show up on ESPN soon enough and spread from there.

I can't believe that after all the years in the league Hines still hasn't learned what should be kept in house.

Crash
06-24-2010, 11:13 AM
Like I told others Ben should tell Hines "I'll discuss Georgia (which he really can't) when you discuss your divorce (which has never been reported by the Ward-friendly Pittsburgh media) and your business partnership with a convicted drug dealer.

Ben should also ask Hines why an NFL wide receiver needs a convicted drug dealer as a "middle man" to buy cars for two of his "friends".

Ben has acted stupid at times and thats got him in trouble.

But Hines Ward, is a team cancer.

And this just proves it once again.

JDSteeler
06-24-2010, 12:47 PM

Ditto....

Ward didn't hang Ben out to dry, or anything close to what Florio said.

Ben was OOC, Out Of Control!!! Ben's actions affect the team. I don't
see any reason why Hines can't ask Ben to address the team. Even if he
answers a question about it on NFLN, or not.

The media, and in particular, PFT, just try to blow things out of proportion.

What Florio wants is to have a locker-room issue with the Steelers players.
It's obvious that Florio hates the Steelers, so we've just got to eliminate his
garbage from the conversation.

I just hope we don't fall for this crap, and handle it like adults...

JD

Crash
06-24-2010, 12:50 PM

That's what WARD wants. He creates it. He thrives on it.

Hines Ward called out Ben before the Ravens game last year.

Not Mike Florio.

feltdizz
06-24-2010, 12:54 PM
Like I told others Ben should tell Hines "I'll discuss Georgia (which he really can't) when you discuss your divorce (which has never been reported by the Ward-friendly Pittsburgh media) and your business partnership with a convicted drug dealer.

Ben should also ask Hines why an NFL wide receiver needs a convicted drug dealer as a "middle man" to buy cars for two of his "friends".

Ben has acted stupid at times and thats got him in trouble.

But Hines Ward, is a team cancer.

And this just proves it once again.

How many games did Hines miss due to his divorce? Why would Hines need someone else to buy a car for him?

you act like Hines is breaking a new story.

Crash
06-24-2010, 12:57 PM
Why would Hines need someone else to buy a car for him?

Ask him. He's the one who had a convicted drug dealer do it for him.

flippy
06-24-2010, 12:58 PM
Hines Ward has earned the right to say whatever he wants about whoever he wants whenever he wants.

If by cancer, yinz mean he's helped us win 2 SuperBowls, then I agree, he's a cancer.

feltdizz
06-24-2010, 12:59 PM

That's what WARD wants. He creates it. He thrives on it.

Hines Ward called out Ben before the Ravens game last year.

Not Mike Florio.

Florio called out Steve Smith the other day over the broken arm/flag football lie he told.

Seems like Florio just stirs up what is already in the pot and adds a little spice to it.

You don't blame Ben....you blame the chicks, the racial pressure and the liberal media... and now Hines 8)

ikestops85
06-24-2010, 01:00 PM
I like Hines and he isn't bringing up anything new but he should know better than announce it in the media. It just keeps stirring things up so now the media has an opportunity to rehash the entire story again.

I love Hines but he is enough of a leader to know he should just talk to Ben about the issue. If he wants to get a little pub he should be talking about whether his hammy is going to allow him to play typical Hines football this year.

NC Steeler Fan
06-24-2010, 01:18 PM
Considering the position he's in on this team, Hines could have said a lot of things
that would have been more newsworthy or dramatic.

I think it was pretty benign myself.

Crash
06-24-2010, 01:19 PM
Hines Ward has earned the right to say whatever he wants about whoever he wants whenever he wants.

Why? Because they won two rings? Shouldn't that give Ben the right to not say anything if he does not want to? Because truth to tell here, Hines Ward's career was that of a good receiver on mostly BAD TEAMS from 1998-2003.

Then Ben showed up, and everything changed.

I know that drives Ward nuts. But it's still the truth.

BIGNASTY
06-24-2010, 01:23 PM
Who the hell is #86 to demand anything from Ben?

This moron just can't help himself when there are microphones in his face.

Once again he goes public rather than keeping things in the locker room.

He's a puke and a hypocrite.

RuthlessBurgher
06-24-2010, 01:24 PM
Considering the position he's in on this team, Hines could have said a lot of things
that would have been more newsworthy or dramatic.

I think it was pretty benign myself.

Crash thinks Hines is a cancer, and NC thinks it's benign.

Shawn...settle this for us once and for all.

Order a Hines Ward biopsy, stat. :wink:

flippy
06-24-2010, 02:00 PM

Why? Because they won two rings? Shouldn't that give Ben the right to not say anything if he does not want to? Because truth to tell here, Hines Ward's career was that of a good receiver on mostly BAD TEAMS from 1998-2003.

Because of his reckless abandon for his body as a WR. It's not really a glory position. It's not gonna win or lose you a ring, but he gives everything he's got on the field. So I can accept Hines Ward saying what's on his mind. And I'm sure Ben can too. Plus Hines Wards' mom's first language isn't English so I don't expect him to be as polished when talking to the media. May be a reason he comes across a bit raw. It is what it is. But given what he does on the field, I always have the impression he means well and supports the good of the team. Even though it's a little rough around the edges.

Ben has bigger things to worry about. And he gets far greater recognition because of his contract, his position, and his control/impact on the game. He's the face of the Steelers. As he goes, so we go. He'll get more scrutiny than everyone else and he'll also get more credit than everyone else. I'm sure he's ok with Ward because he needs him and the team is better because of it.

Who really cares what Ward says. He's just a WR. Just a cog. And he plays without regard for himself week in and week out.

Crash
06-24-2010, 02:06 PM
That's rich. Now Hines Ward is Sammy freaking Sosa!

Ben's taking a helluva lot more punishment than Ward has. So that angle doesn't wash.

Why didn't Hines demand Jerome talk about his investigation in 2002?

Why didn't Hines say Jerome should have been suspended?

Hines Ward is a jealous punk. It's about time people see that for what it is.

But given what he does on the field, I always have the impression he means well and supports the good of the team.

Yeah, especially when he said don't move him (to slot) to help other players. Then he says his coaches abuse him. Holds out while under contract. Says the owners don't value him, and then says he won't help rookies unless they ask.

Hines is all about team I tell ya!

flippy
06-24-2010, 02:23 PM
That's rich. Now Hines Ward is Sammy freaking Sosa!

Ben's taking a helluva lot more punishment than Ward has. So that angle doesn't wash.

Why didn't Hines demand Jerome talk about his investigation in 2002?

Why didn't Hines say Jerome should have been suspended?

Hines Ward is a jealous punk. It's about time people see that for what it is.

But given what he does on the field, I always have the impression he means well and supports the good of the team.

Yeah, especially when he said don't move him (to slot) to help other players. Then he says his coaches abuse him. Holds out while under contract. Says the owners don't value him, and then says he won't help rookies unless they ask.

Hines is all about team I tell ya!

Tell us how you really feel about Hines :D

I do see this as I have to pick sides. I like Hines and I like Ben.

I've got an 86 and a 7 hanging up in the closet waiting for this season to begin.

I don't buy Hines is a punk.

He's a hero.

And he and Ben are probably a lot alike.

Ben just keeps it out of the media.

cruzer8
06-24-2010, 02:29 PM
I like Hines and he isn't bringing up anything new but he should know better than announce it in the media. It just keeps stirring things up so now the media has an opportunity to rehash the entire story again.

I love Hines but he is enough of a leader to know he should just talk to Ben about the issue. If he wants to get a little pub he should be talking about whether his hammy is going to allow him to play typical Hines football this year.

It's a simple concept yet Hines and some fans just can't seem to understand it.

feltdizz
06-24-2010, 03:01 PM

It's a simple concept yet Hines and some fans just can't seem to understand it.

Hines doesn't get it...just who does he think he is, a Steeler? :lol:

SanAntonioSteelerFan
06-24-2010, 03:04 PM
I've got a Hines jersey (my only one). But I think this should not have been said in public.

Besides which, Ben is probably not allowed to say anything detailed about the night in GA. Whatever he says is fair game to be used against him by a lawyer. Subpoena and all.

siss
06-24-2010, 03:15 PM
I don't think he has to give a detailed account of what happened. I do think he should apologize to his team. And for God sakes, Ben and Hines need to hash it out so that this crap doesn't happen any more.

RuthlessBurgher
06-24-2010, 03:17 PM

The fact is that Hines Ward is currently ranked 12th in NFL history in terms of receptions. If Hines catches at least 57 passes this year (appropriate...Hines...57), then he will move past Art Monk and Andre Reed and into the NFL All-Time Top 10 for receptions. And he did this in spite of spending half his career in a run dominated offense, relying upon guys like Kordell Stewart, Mike Tomczak, Kent Graham, and Tommy Maddox to throw him the ball. Some of Hines' best years (95 catches for 1163 yards and 10 TD's in 2003, 112 catches for 1329 yards and 12 TD's in 2002, 94 catches for 1003 yards and 4 TD's in 2001) came before Ben arrived. He has already caught more balls than Hall of Famers John Stallworth and Lynn Swann COMBINED (Hines has 895 catches; Stallworth [537] and Swann [336] have 873). Hines Ward is the man.

Sugar
06-24-2010, 03:21 PM
[quote="Steelers>NFL":3cc4nskd]Unlike the media, Ward is right on about this. He does needs to fess up to the team.

Hines, STFU when it comes to the media. If you really feel this way then take it to Ben man to man.[/quote:3cc4nskd]

This.

Crash
06-24-2010, 03:23 PM

The fact is that Hines Ward is currently ranked 12th in NFL history in terms of receptions. If Hines catches at least 57 passes this year (appropriate...Hines...57), then he will move past Art Monk and Andre Reed and into the NFL All-Time Top 10 for receptions. And he did this in spite of spending half his career in a run dominated offense, relying upon guys like Kordell Stewart, Mike Tomczak, Kent Graham, and Tommy Maddox to throw him the ball. Some of Hines' best years (95 catches for 1163 yards and 10 TD's in 2003, 112 catches for 1329 yards and 12 TD's in 2002, 94 catches for 1003 yards and 4 TD's in 2001) came before Ben arrived. He has already caught more balls than Hall of Famers John Stallworth and Lynn Swann COMBINED (Hines has 895 catches; Stallworth [537] and Swann [336] have 873). Hines Ward is the man.

And when you compare Ward to guys in his era? He doesn't stack up to guys like TO, and Moss.

12 years, he has 1000 yards six times. BFD.

That also still doesn't change the fact that before Ben showed up ward mostly played on bad teams.

Spin it any way you want. It's still the truth.

RuthlessBurgher
06-24-2010, 03:53 PM

And when you compare Ward to guys in his era? He doesn't stack up to guys like TO, and Moss.

That also still doesn't change the fact that before Ben showed up ward mostly played on bad teams.

Moss and Ward came into the league at the same time and they have both played in 186 NFL games, so it is an apt comparison. Moss has 31 more catches in his career than Ward at this point (926 vs. 895).

The big difference is that Moss started 11 games as a rookie and caught 69 balls, while Ward didn't start any games as a rookie since he started out as a special teamer, catching only 15 balls as a rookie. Since their rookie seasons, though, Ward has actually caught 23 more balls than Moss has.

Terrell Owens has played 2 more seasons than Ward, and currently has 111 more catches. However, when T.O. had played 12 seasons (like Ward has) he had 882 catches, which is 13 less than Ward at that same point in their respective careers.

Nah...he doesn't stack up to guys like TO, and Moss. Ward has 2 Super Bowls on one team. T.O. and Moss have 0 Super Bowls on 7 teams.

Crash
06-24-2010, 04:04 PM
Moss and Ward came into the league at the same time and they have both played in 186 NFL games, so it is an apt comparison. Moss has 31 more catches in his career than Ward at this point (926 vs. 895).

Way to ignore the 3500 yard gap, as well as Moss' advantage in TDs which currently stands at 148 for Moss and 78 for Ward.

11 more starts as a rookie for Moss didn't give him 3500 more yards and 70 more TDs.

If you are going to cherry pick for Ward you also have to consider the rules were different for Swann and Stallworth early, they also played 14 game schedules.

The ONLY thing Hines has on those two was longevity. He's clearly the 3rd best of the three.

Nah...he doesn't stack up to guys like TO, and Moss. Ward has 2 Super Bowls on one team. T.O. and Moss have 0 Super Bowls on 7 teams.

Moss couldn't play defense for the Pats after he scored a potential GW TD. Again, nice cherry pick.

flippy
06-24-2010, 04:07 PM

I'm not sure why playing on bad teams matters for the discussion? Ward's still the man.

And he does it with less opportunities than his peers.

There was a time when people wanted Troy Edwards ahead of Ward on the depth chart. We were drafting #1s at WR and Ward wasn't supposed to be or do anything.

He's way outperformed expectations.

Flasteel
06-24-2010, 04:10 PM

You're being absolutely ridiculous. Hines Ward is a Hall of Famer playing on your favorite team. He's been consumate pro, both on and off the field for his entire career. A career filled with huge plays, huge hits and a level of dependability that is second to none.

You're the one trying to spin things Crash. Taking what every sane, football-knowledgeable mind would consider a great career, and trying to shine a light on a few barely-blemished areas. I forgot about your disdain for Ward, so you offering up any opinion on him should probably carry about as much merit as a HeHateMe feature article on Ben Roethlisberger.

flippy
06-24-2010, 04:13 PM
[quote]Moss and Ward came into the league at the same time and they have both played in 186 NFL games, so it is an apt comparison. Moss has 31 more catches in his career than Ward at this point (926 vs. 895).

Way to ignore the 3500 yard gap, as well as Moss' advantage in TDs which currently stands at 148 for Moss and 78 for Ward.

11 more starts as a rookie for Moss didn't give him 3500 more yards and 70 more TDs.

If you are going to cherry pick for Ward you also have to consider the rules were different for Swann and Stallworth early, they also played 14 game schedules.

The ONLY thing Hines has on those two was longevity. He's clearly the 3rd best of the three.

Moss couldn't play defense for the Pats after he scored a potential GW TD. Again, nice cherry pick.[/quote:3eeygfh0]

To be fair, you have to take the offenses the WRs play into account.

I'm sure Ward's numbers would be bigger if he were in a pass happy offense his whole career.

It's apples and oranges any way you slice it.

Plus with Randy, you're talking about arguably the greatest of all time at his position. And he underperforms when his team underperforms - not something you get out of Hines Ward.

Crash
06-24-2010, 04:13 PM
He's been consumate pro, both on and off the field for his entire career.

If you believe that I'd have to wonder what player you've been watching for 12 years.

If Hines wasn't a Steeler, Steelers fans would say he acts like TO.

williar
06-24-2010, 04:19 PM

If by cancer, yinz mean he's helped us win 2 SuperBowls, then I agree, he's a cancer.

Ain't that the truth!! People around here act like Hines holds a clip board for Ben, or something... Hines has been as important to this teams success as anyone. As a leader on and off the field, with his tough, gritty play, and outstanding character. I watch the interview and heard what Hines said. He was asked the question and gave an unassuming answer. Boy! Do people love to blow things out of proportion or what?

It's funny because it seems that people who love Ben so much, hate Hines Ward. Probably because Hines has been the antithesis of what Ben represents.

flippy
06-24-2010, 04:19 PM

If you believe that I'd have to wonder what player you've been watching for 12 years.

I don't ever hear other team's fans compare him to TO. They just call him dirty.

But everyone would still love to have him on their team.

No one wants TO despite his availability.

Crash
06-24-2010, 04:21 PM
Hines has been as important to this teams success as anyone.

1998-2003 says thats not true.

RuthlessBurgher
06-24-2010, 04:24 PM
[quote]Moss and Ward came into the league at the same time and they have both played in 186 NFL games, so it is an apt comparison. Moss has 31 more catches in his career than Ward at this point (926 vs. 895).

Moss couldn't play defense for the Pats after he scored a potential GW TD. Again, nice cherry pick.[/quote:171i0uy2]

Ward, Swann, and Stallworth are 3 very different types of receivers. You cannot definitely say that Ward is clearly the 3rd best of the three. He was the best at what he does, which is moving the chains. He is not an acrobatic leaper or a big play deep threat. Each of those guys is unique, and all were great Steelers.

Moss and T.O. are physical freaks of nature. They are 3-4 inches taller than Ward and have significantly more speed than him as well. He doesn't have near their big play ability, deep speed, etc. But Ward has a tremendous amount of heart, and is extremely dependable. He's the kind of guy that a team makes sure to hold onto...he's a "glue" player on championship teams. Moss and T.O. are uber-talented hired guns who have bounced around the league once they have worn out their welcome in a particular city. Moss and T.O. are way bigger punks than Ward could ever be. They are way more talented than Ward, but I'll take a guy who is less gifted but manages squeeze every last ounce of ability that he has been given. Plus, he's more than happy to lay out a defender than outweighs him by more than 50 lbs.

Crash
06-24-2010, 04:25 PM
Probably because Hines has been the antithesis of what Ben represents.

Actually they are more alike than they are different off the field.

And if the rumors about Hines in Pittsburgh are ever made public by an accuser? He'd be LUCKY if he got 4-6 like Ben.

flippy
06-24-2010, 04:33 PM
Probably because Hines has been the antithesis of what Ben represents.

Actually they are more alike than they are different off the field.

And if the rumors about Hines in Pittsburgh are ever made public by an accuser? He'd be LUCKY if he got 4-6 like Ben.

Are you saying Hines is rumored to have raped someone and it was kept quiet? or are you just making a guess that if he was accused?

Flasteel
06-24-2010, 04:34 PM

The player who everyone respects and would want as a teammate...that's who I've been watching. You apparently have been watching someone you mistakenly thought banged your girlfriend or stole your lunch money in middle school.

Sure there have been a death threat or two hurled in his direction, and a few more who say he crosses the line. All he does though, is play football the way it was meant to be played and you'd have a hard time winning any debate where you say otherwise.

Especially here.

TO? Are you high? The fans on the Rats or Bungle boards don't even draw such ridiculous comparisons. C'mon man...put aside the hate shades and give the guy the credit he deserves.

Crash
06-24-2010, 04:36 PM
Are you saying Hines is rumored to have raped someone and it was kept quiet? or are you just making a guess that if he was accused?

I'm saying that there were rumors posted about Ward on another site (which have since been removed) years ago and if true? Would make what Ben went through in Georgia look like a tea party.

Crash
06-24-2010, 04:38 PM
The player who everyone respects and would want as a teammate...that's who I've been watching.

If they all respected him how is he among the most dirty players in the league based on player votes?

You watch #86 on Sunday's.

Good for you.

But off the field, he's been a jackass.

flippy
06-24-2010, 04:40 PM

I'm saying that there were rumors posted about Ward on another site (which have since been removed) years ago and if true? Would make what Ben went through in Georgia look like a tea party.

I've heard stuff about him and strippers/other women and infidelity. But I don't remember anything about rape allegations.

flippy
06-24-2010, 04:46 PM
Plus, he's more than happy to lay out a defender than outweighs him by more than 50 lbs.

or 100+ lbs. He goes after the 9s too.

and this has a huge impact on the team. when you see guys tiny guys like ARE blocking Pat Williams who's double his size. or Troy Edwards making extra effort after his bad run and demotion.

but in fairness, blocking by WRs was a Steelers tradition. Swann would get after his blocking cause Noll always said WR blocking downfield was what sprung the majority of big plays. Stallworth was another willing blocker.

Crash
06-24-2010, 05:02 PM
Charles Johnson was considered by many to be the best blocking WR in football in 1997.

#86 wasn't on the team.

Phil Simms made a point during SB XXX how the Steelers WRs blocked in 1994.

Again, #86 wasn't on the team.

John Stallworth helped Franco Harris' post season success with blocks, including one on the feared Jack Tatum in the AFC title game.

Guess what? #86 wasn't on that team either.

hawaiiansteel
06-24-2010, 05:16 PM
Hines Ward puts Big Ben in a big bind

Posted by Mike Florio on June 23, 2010

In a Wednesday night appearance on NFL Network's Total Access, Steelers receiver Hines Ward talked about quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's offseason misadventures in Milledgeville, Georgia.

And it sounds like Ward wants Ben to talk about the situation himself.

"A lot of players really don't know the situation, other than what we hear in the news or the media," Ward said. "I think when he addresses the whole team going into training camp, we can all put it behind us and move forward."

In other words, Ward expects Ben to address the whole team going into training camp.

It sounds good in theory, but it creates a potential legal problem for Roethlisberger. Anything he says about the situation to his teammates can be used against him -- either in the trial of any civil action filed by the alleged Georgia victim or in the trial of the pending civil action in Nevada filed last year by a woman who claims that Roethlisberger sexually assaulted her in 2008.

As to the former, we think it's irrelevant, because we suspect that the alleged victim's decision not to pursue criminal charges came after a settlement of her potential civil claims was negotiated.

As to the latter, lawyer Calvin R.X. Dunlap has made it clear that he intends to delve into the Georgia incident, and in so doing he could start serving up subpoenas to everyone who was in the room when Roethlisberger talks about the situation.

It puts Ben in a tough spot. If he goes into specifics, Dunlap potentially will have more ammunition. If he stays too general, his teammates may conclude that he's full of crap.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -big-bind/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/23/hines-ward-put-big-ben-in-a-big-bind/)

SanAntonioSteelerFan
06-24-2010, 05:53 PM
This is nuts, all the stuff about Hines not being The Man. We started talking about whether he should have said what he did. Any questions regarding his excellentness are completely insane, in my opinion.

In a Wednesday night appearance on NFL Network's Total Access, Steelers receiver Hines Ward talked about quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's offseason misadventures in Milledgeville, Georgia.

"A lot of players really don't know the situation, other than what we hear in the news or the media," Ward said. "I think when he addresses the whole team going into training camp, we can all put it behind us and move forward."

In other words, Ward expects Ben to address the whole team going into training camp.

It sounds good in theory, but it creates a potential legal problem for Roethlisberger. Anything he says about the situation to his teammates can be used against him -- either in the trial of any civil action filed by the alleged Georgia victim or in the trial of the pending civil action in Nevada filed last year by a woman who claims that Roethlisberger sexually assaulted her in 2008.

As to the former, we think it's irrelevant, because we suspect that the alleged victim's decision not to pursue criminal charges came after a settlement of her potential civil claims was negotiated.

As to the latter, lawyer Calvin R.X. Dunlap has made it clear that he intends to delve into the Georgia incident, and in so doing he could start serving up subpoenas to everyone who was in the room when Roethlisberger talks about the situation.

It puts Ben in a tough spot. If he goes into specifics, Dunlap potentially will have more ammunition. If he stays too general, his teammates may conclude that he's full of crap.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -big-bind/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/23/hines-ward-put-big-ben-in-a-big-bind/)

This is what I said in my post a few pages back. Yes, in the ideal world, Ben would tell his teammates what happened. Unfortunately, he exposes himself to legal risk by doing so, and so it's kind of dumb to expect him to do so. Hines was off base saying what he did for that reason, as well as for not stfu to the media about a purely team matter.

That's all! My :2c

RuthlessBurgher
06-24-2010, 06:04 PM
The player who everyone respects and would want as a teammate...that's who I've been watching.

If they all respected him how is he among the most dirty players in the league based on player votes?

You watch #86 on Sunday's.

Good for you.

But off the field, he's been a jackass.

Opposing defensive players vote him as dirty because they are hitters who do not like being hit. When a 6' 205 lbs. guy knocks you the #*@% out, how do you justify it? "Oh...he's a dirty player." But he doesn't spear people, or take out a defenseless players knees, or horsecollar someone, or anything like that. He just levels people without mercy. And the big fellas don't like it, so they call him dirty.

As for off the field, I have no idea what Hines is like. Or Ben. Or Santonio. Or Reed. Or Harrison. Or Casey. Or Troy. Or Aaron. Or any of them. Neither do you. None of us do. Some have the reputation of being a good guy, but he may actually be a jackass...I'll never know for sure. Some have the reputation of being a jackass, but he may actually be a good guy...I'll never know for sure.

feltdizz
06-24-2010, 06:17 PM
Funny how the guy who isn't suspended for 4 games is the cancer.

cruzer8
06-24-2010, 06:18 PM

If that's what he said, and all what he said, then I take back what I've posted in this thread.

Crash
06-24-2010, 06:23 PM

Ben has never slung the arrows at teammates, coaches, fans, and his owners the way #86 has over the years.

A bad night of drinking doesn't make you a team cancer.

Trying to disrupt the locker room BY CHOICE like #86 has does.

Flasteel
06-24-2010, 06:54 PM

Ben has never slung the arrows at teammates, coaches, fans, and his owners the way #86 has over the years.

Now Ward is a cancer?

Dude. :shock:

feltdizz
06-24-2010, 06:57 PM

Ben has made choices and they resulted in a 4 game suspension. Stop blaming everyone else for this situation.

NJ-STEELER
06-24-2010, 06:59 PM

thx hines.

cost us the playoffs last year dividing the locker room and he's off to a good start this season

Crash
06-24-2010, 07:06 PM
Ben has made choices and they resulted in a 4 game suspension. Stop blaming everyone else for this situation.

And if Ben were black he's not suspended.

Vincent Jackson.

Vince Young.

Brandon Underwood.

Eric Foster.

Where are their suspensions?

RuthlessBurgher
06-24-2010, 07:41 PM
thx hines.

cost us the playoffs last year dividing the locker room and he's off to a good start this season

Hines Ward cost us the playoffs last year by dividing the locker room?

Oh, I see. Now I understand what happened last year. Thanks for clearing that up.

:wft

feltdizz
06-24-2010, 08:57 PM
Now we are seeing the delusional fans who think Ben was race reversed and Hines is dirty cancer locker room splitter who cost us the season in full bloom.

I bet Crash only cheers for the Steelers when they are on the road.

NJ-STEELER
06-24-2010, 09:39 PM
thx hines.

Oh, I see. Now I understand what happened last year. Thanks for clearing that up.

questioning the starting QB toughness will do that. he said himself there were players he spoke to that questioned it and have played "hurt" with consussions

RuthlessBurgher
06-24-2010, 10:11 PM
[quote="NJ-STEELER":2ovjge0g]thx hines.

questioning the starting QB toughness will do that. he said himself there were players he spoke to that questioned it and have played "hurt" with consussions[/quote:2ovjge0g]

Okay, then...our losses last season had nothing to do with our secondary giving up an obscene amount of big plays in the 4th quarter, or our special teams coverage units giving up a ridiculous amount of TD's on runbacks, or our offense's inability to convert in short yardage situations...we missed the playoffs because a WR questioned a QB's ability to play with a concussion...Mystery Solved!

If Hines kept his...ummm...cake smasher...yeah, that's it...his cake smasher shut, we would have surely gone 16-0 in the regular season, and would be polishing our 7th Lombardi trophy right now. And since Hines opened that cake smasher again this off-season, all hope is lost for 2010. We might as well pack it in now and just forfeit all the games.

:HeadBanger :?

Crash
06-24-2010, 10:19 PM
Anyone who doesn't believe that race played a part in Ben's suspension obviously wasn't paying attention when current/former black players and black media were daring Goodell to suspend the uncharged white Ben Roethlisberger.

fordfixer
06-24-2010, 10:19 PM
[quote="NJ-STEELER":14retcv8]thx hines.

questioning the starting QB toughness will do that. he said himself there were players he spoke to that questioned it and have played "hurt" with consussions

Okay, then...our losses last season had nothing to do with our secondary giving up an obscene amount of big plays in the 4th quarter, or our special teams coverage units giving up a ridiculous amount of TD's on runbacks, or our offense's inability to convert in short yardage situations...we missed the playoffs because a WR questioned a QB's ability to play with a concussion...Mystery Solved!

If Hines kept his...ummm...cake smasher...yeah, that's it...his cake smasher shut, we would have surely gone 16-0 in the regular season, and would be polishing our 7th Lombardi trophy right now. And since Hines opened that cake smasher again this off-season, all hope is lost for 2010. We might as well pack it in now and just forfeit all the games.

:HeadBanger :?[/quote:14retcv8]

Crap and I was really looking forward to this season :cry:

kiwi_sarah
06-24-2010, 10:43 PM
[quote="NJ-STEELER":39otnf9n]thx hines.

:HeadBanger :?[/quote:39otnf9n]

I just baked a cake! Wanna see? http://twitpic.com/1zp2r9

Wait, cake IS the topic of this thread, right? :D

fordfixer
06-24-2010, 10:47 PM
Nice whats the candle for?

kiwi_sarah
06-24-2010, 10:49 PM

Hubby's birthday tomorrow. He's 28, but I forgot to buy more candles, so went with the "elegant single candle look" so I can pretend it's deliberate.

StarSpangledSteeler
06-24-2010, 11:23 PM
[quote="Steelers>NFL":1yw0v5wo]Unlike the media, Ward is right on about this. He does needs to fess up to the team.

Hines, STFU when it comes to the media. If you really feel this way then take it to Ben man to man.[/quote:1yw0v5wo]

Amen, stlrzd!!!!! I agree 1000%. Hines is a great teacher, a great role model, a great team player, and a true steeler in his style of play. But he is too emotional sometimes and has very little filter between his head/heart and his MOUTH. I appreciate his honesty but SHUT UP HINES when it comes to the media.

siss
06-24-2010, 11:24 PM

Hubby's birthday tomorrow. He's 28, but I forgot to buy more candles, so went with the "elegant single candle look" so I can pretend it's deliberate.
You go Martha!

kiwi_sarah
06-24-2010, 11:35 PM

You go Martha!

lol - less jail time, more sass :Boobs

NJ-STEELER
06-25-2010, 12:09 AM
we missed the playoffs by 1 game.

and instead of preparing for the game with a rookie QB at the helm, hines had to open his mouth and explain how he's tougher then our current starting QB in a TV interview... in a game we were winning in the 4th quarter

Crash
06-25-2010, 12:28 AM

and instead of preparing for the game with a rookie QB at the helm, hines had to open his mouth and explain how he's tougher then our current starting QB in a TV interview... in a game we were winning in the 4th quarter

Then he tries to slam Ben again by saying that Dixon will be a star in the NFL and how proud he was of him.

Yeah Hines, thats why you were jumping around like an idiot after Dixon threw that pick.

hawaiiansteel
06-25-2010, 01:08 AM
anybody know how or why this "rift" between Hines and Ben supposedly started?

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/1206/pg2_a_roethlisberger_ward_576.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
06-25-2010, 02:03 AM

That was a Sunday night game against the Ravens. The Steelers' medical staff decided on Saturday...the day before the game...that Ben would not be able to play in that game, even though he practiced all week. How did Hines' comments prevent the team from preparing for the game at all? The Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday practices were already over. Teams tend to do only a brief walkthrough of very few things on a Saturday, nowhere near a full practice. Hines' comments about Ben not playing with a concussion had ZERO impact on that game or any other game last season.

grotonsteel
06-25-2010, 02:36 AM
Whinny Hines Ward need to just STFU.

Hines Ward is considered a HOF candidate because of Big Ben. If not for Big Ben he would be nothing.

feltdizz
06-25-2010, 07:24 AM

Hines Ward is considered a HOF candidate because of Big Ben. If not for Big Ben he would be nothing.

nothing?

flippy
06-25-2010, 07:29 AM

Ben - Why don't you stop running your cake smasher?

Hines - Why don't you throw a better deep ball?

Ben - Why aren't you taller and faster?

Hines - Why aren't you Tom Brady?

Ben - Ow, that hurts.

Hines - Did you hear he named his kid after you?

Ben - He did?

Hines - Yep, aparently he's always in the bathroom making a mess :D

Ben - :roll:

Hines - Sorry man. My hammy's sore and my hyperbaric chamber's in the shop.

Ben - No problem. I know how you can get. Wanna get a beer after practice?

Hines - How bout we just get some cake?

Ben - Yeah, that's better. Let's smash some cake.

Hines - Cool. We cool? You still love me Ben?

Ben - Yeah. But you're still a cancer.

Hines - Just cause you was on WWE cause I had to turn them down doesn't mean you run sh!t around here. This is my team.

Ben - You're delusional.

Hines - And she said no. She said no!

stlrz d
06-25-2010, 08:03 AM
deleted

stlrz d
06-25-2010, 08:04 AM
anybody know how or why this "rift" between Hines and Ben supposedly started?

Ben saying he's always going to ask for a tall receiver?

Btw, that cake smasher thing sure is getting some play, isn't it? :lol:

frankthetank1
06-25-2010, 08:14 AM

thx hines.

uh hines saying that one comment before the ravens game did not cost the steelers the playoffs

frankthetank1
06-25-2010, 08:18 AM

haha that is pretty funny. hines's best seasons were with korkie, tomzack and other scrub qb's. hines is a HOF candidate because he is that caliber of player. when ben got here hines was a seasoned vet not a kid.

flippy
06-25-2010, 08:26 AM

It was your best contribution to the board this year :lol

Never heard it before, but I like it.

Now I have this image of you in my head every time I read your posts:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3275/2672414465_341dc96af5.jpg?v=0

flippy
06-25-2010, 09:33 AM
I just baked a cake! Wanna see? http://twitpic.com/1zp2r9

Wait, cake IS the topic of this thread, right? :D

I prefer when a little more effort goes into my cakes....

http://mediaglare.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/roulette-cake.jpg

Crash
06-25-2010, 09:51 AM
If I had to guess? The rift started in 2004 because Ben and Plax were close off the field. They lived in the same part of Washington's Landing and hung out together.

If you don't suck up to Ward his "paranoia" takes over and he's convinced you are out to "get him". It's the running joke inside the Steeler media. That and when certain media print the phrase "The Leader of the Wideouts". That's mocking Ward as well.

flippy
06-25-2010, 10:14 AM
I think the rift is made up and just overblown sensationalism.

RuthlessBurgher
06-25-2010, 12:16 PM
The hate is palpable between them. These guys obviously loathe each other.

https://ssl.post-gazette.com/store/photos/large/ward%20and%20roethlisberger%20celebrate%20wm.jpg

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/jim_trotter/01/31/halloffame.picks/T1_0131_hineslowrance.jpg http://i.tsn.com/i/photos/20100416/140860.jpg

http://www.sportsblink.com/product_images/ben-roethlisberger-pittsburgh-steelers-celebration-hug-hines-ward-autographed-photograph-3351495.jpg http://nbcsportsmedia2.msnbc.com/j/msnbc/Components/Slideshows/_production/ss_060101_playoffs/060122_AFC_01.widec.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4ow2Juu7nMo/SxP-avxnH0I/AAAAAAAAT-c/IkXRn0cVCjA/s1600/benhines.jpg

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2009/02/01/alg_roethlisberger-hug.jpg

http://lastangryfan.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/steelers.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/nfl.fanhouse.com/media/2009/12/hines-ward-ben-roethlisberger.jpg http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/B_Roethlisberger_H_Ward_070909_inside.jpg

http://bp0.blogger.com/_w5crfNFESpM/R1QYpDcKiNI/AAAAAAAAAhM/qexx4YqbSjs/s1600-R/1203steelers03-a.jpg

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/84582071.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA5489DE773F6401880FA 91B1F05F558EC3A3BBD9C888523D2019E30A760B0D811297

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0902/nfl.super.bowl.XLIII/images/aa.opgn-117333-mid.jpg

siss
06-25-2010, 12:21 PM

It was your best contribution to the board this year :lol

Never heard it before, but I like it.

Now I have this image of you in my head every time I read your posts:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3275/2672414465_341dc96af5.jpg?v=0
Thats freakin adorable!

feltdizz
06-25-2010, 05:20 PM
The hate is palpable between them. These guys obviously loathe each other.

https://ssl.post-gazette.com/store/photos/large/ward%20and%20roethlisberger%20celebrate%20wm.jpg

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/jim_trotter/01/31/halloffame.picks/T1_0131_hineslowrance.jpg http://i.tsn.com/i/photos/20100416/140860.jpg

http://www.sportsblink.com/product_images/ben-roethlisberger-pittsburgh-steelers-celebration-hug-hines-ward-autographed-photograph-3351495.jpg http://nbcsportsmedia2.msnbc.com/j/msnbc/Components/Slideshows/_production/ss_060101_playoffs/060122_AFC_01.widec.jpg

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2009/02/01/alg_roethlisberger-hug.jpg

http://lastangryfan.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/steelers.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/nfl.fanhouse.com/media/2009/12/hines-ward-ben-roethlisberger.jpg http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/B_Roethlisberger_H_Ward_070909_inside.jpg

http://bp0.blogger.com/_w5crfNFESpM/R1QYpDcKiNI/AAAAAAAAAhM/qexx4YqbSjs/s1600-R/1203steelers03-a.jpg

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/84582071.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA5489DE773F6401880FA 91B1F05F558EC3A3BBD9C888523D2019E30A760B0D811297

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0902/nfl.super.bowl.XLIII/images/aa.opgn-117333-mid.jpg

:nono
PHOTOSHOP!!!!

NJ-STEELER
06-25-2010, 05:29 PM

That was a Sunday night game against the Ravens. The Steelers' medical staff decided on Saturday...the day before the game...that Ben would not be able to play in that game, even though he practiced all week. How did Hines' comments prevent the team from preparing for the game at all? The Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday practices were already over. Teams tend to do only a brief walkthrough of very few things on a Saturday, nowhere near a full practice. Hines' comments about Ben not playing with a concussion had ZERO impact on that game or any other game last season.

we certainly came out flat vs. the chiefs the next week with Ben starting.

i wonder what the reason was

RuthlessBurgher
06-25-2010, 08:54 PM
[quote="NJ-STEELER":3ipvd8f3]we missed the playoffs by 1 game.

we certainly came out flat vs. the chiefs the next week with Ben starting.

i wonder what the reason was[/quote:3ipvd8f3]

Ben completed 32 out of 42 passes for 398 yards and 3 TD's vs. the Chiefs.

Ward caught 10 passes for 128 yards and 1 TD vs. the Chiefs.

That's flat?

feltdizz
06-25-2010, 09:14 PM
Damn NJ... let it go. You picked a terrible angle on this one.

BradshawsHairdresser
06-25-2010, 10:35 PM
:shock:

Hines' recent statement to cause a rift on the Steelers?

Only in the minds of Florio, PFT, and a few posters on this board.

I've read what Ward said several times....I can't believe it's generated this much discussion. It's all much ado about NOTHING.

As for Ward's greatness, or lack thereof, on the football field, all I can say is, TWO Lombardis and WHOLE-HEARTED EFFORT every time he steps on the turf. I don't care near as much about other statistics--I'd take Ward over TO and Randy Moss every day and twice on Sundays (BTW, for football performance, I'd take Ben over just about any other QB).

I don't know what Ward is like off the field. If he's raping girls, then I hope he gets caught, prosecuted, suspended and kicked off the Steelers. But I haven't seen any solid evidence of impropriety. If all you have is message board rumors from a few years ago, sounds to me like you probably have some kind of deeper issue going on.

Crash
06-25-2010, 11:01 PM
Yeah I'm sure Ward's wife left him for no good reason. Just up and left.

Crash
06-26-2010, 12:31 AM
HEY HINES.......SHUT YOUR PIE HOLE!

MOUNT LAUREL, N.J. -- Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward said the Ben Roethlisberger questions he and teammates have faced during the offseason are "tiring" and the Steelers need to move past the scrutiny generated by the franchise quarterback's boorish behavior.

"Everywhere we go, we're all affected as teammates, because we're always asked about it," Ward said. "For us, it can get monotonous."

Ward told the NFL Network that Roethlisberger needs to address the team about his off-the-field missteps.

The 13th-year veteran told the Tribune-Review, however, that it is up to Roethlisberger if he wants to talk to teammates about the events that led to a four- to six-game suspension at the start of the 2010 season.

"To be honest, I don't really know the situation and I don't want to know because at the end of the day I know he's not playing for us (at the start of the season) so it's something that him, his family, they have to deal with that," Ward said. "We're going to be there as teammates and show our support if he needs us. I think if everyone comes at him, 'Are you OK? Are you OK?' That can be a burden on him. I'd rather him open up to us if he wants to talk."

Roethlisberger has vowed to change and make amends for the behavior that nearly sabotaged his Steelers career.

"You look at it as a role model, you can't put yourself in situations," Ward said. "We all like to have a good time but in the back of your mind you've got to be like, 'Look, I can't do nothing too crazy because of who I represent.' "

flippy
06-26-2010, 01:10 AM
HEY HINES.......SHUT YOUR PIE HOLE!

MOUNT LAUREL, N.J. -- Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward said the Ben Roethlisberger questions he and teammates have faced during the offseason are "tiring" and the Steelers need to move past the scrutiny generated by the franchise quarterback's boorish behavior.

"Everywhere we go, we're all affected as teammates, because we're always asked about it," Ward said. "For us, it can get monotonous."

Ward told the NFL Network that Roethlisberger needs to address the team about his off-the-field missteps.

The 13th-year veteran told the Tribune-Review, however, that it is up to Roethlisberger if he wants to talk to teammates about the events that led to a four- to six-game suspension at the start of the 2010 season.

"To be honest, I don't really know the situation and I don't want to know because at the end of the day I know he's not playing for us (at the start of the season) so it's something that him, his family, they have to deal with that," Ward said. "We're going to be there as teammates and show our support if he needs us. I think if everyone comes at him, 'Are you OK? Are you OK?' That can be a burden on him. I'd rather him open up to us if he wants to talk."

Roethlisberger has vowed to change and make amends for the behavior that nearly sabotaged his Steelers career.

"You look at it as a role model, you can't put yourself in situations," Ward said. "We all like to have a good time but in the back of your mind you've got to be like, 'Look, I can't do nothing too crazy because of who I represent.' "

Sorry, but I'm just not seeing what's so bad here.

The first quote about being tired of the questions is benign.

The second quote sounds supportive and Hines and the team is there for him but also doesn't want to be another burden to him.

Maybe the last quote looks questionable, but they probably asked Hines about himself or pro athletes to get him to say that. That might have nothing to do with Ben.

Crash
06-26-2010, 01:14 AM

Those two quotes aren't needed.

And he should be a man and quit hiding behind 3rd person/teammate speak and just admit that's how HE feels.

Crash
06-26-2010, 01:16 AM
If they asked Hines about himself and he said that last quote? He's a liar and a hypocrite.

flippy
06-26-2010, 01:18 AM

Those two quotes aren't needed.

And he should be a man and quit hiding behind 3rd person/teammate speak and just admit that's how HE feels.

Depends how the question was asked. Someone could have easily lead him down that path suggesting these questions must be tiring to keep having to hear.

In fairness Hines probably gets asked more than the rest of the players because of his profile and willingness to talk to the media.

If he specifically says "I think Ben's an arse", then I'd think more of it.

Crash
06-26-2010, 01:42 AM
How about this:

"No comment"

Interview over.

flippy
06-26-2010, 01:59 AM
That could work too. I don't see harm either way. I really don't think Ben has a problem either.

In a perfect world, everyone would give Mike Tomlin sound bites that sound cool, are verbose, but say absolutely nothing and might as well be "no comment".

Crash
06-26-2010, 02:22 AM
Ward's just an idiot, now every goddamn media outlet will have:

Ward: Ben questions "tiring"

And it gets rehashed, again.

He's just not too bright.

NJ-STEELER
06-26-2010, 03:45 AM
yeah

losing to a bottom 5 team, i would consider they came out flat? do you think they were as good as us?

BTW, didn't hines also drop a ball that would have been a 1st down late in the 4th and put us in FG position that would have iced the game

flippy
06-26-2010, 06:40 AM
yeah

losing to a bottom 5 team, i would consider they came out flat? do you think they were as good as us?

BTW, didn't hines also drop a ball that would have been a 1st down late in the 4th and put us in FG position that would have iced the game

I dont remember it, but here's from the play by play.
2nd and 5 at PIT 43 (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger pass incomplete short left to H.Ward.

It was around 1 min on the clock. But given that it was a short pass from the Pit 43, it's hard to tell if it would have been a 1st down and it definitely wouldn't have put us in FG range. We'd have still had another 25-30 yds to go most likely.

NorthCoast
06-26-2010, 08:02 AM
Another case of much ado about nothing....

Because of the controversy Ben caused and the suspension, it is unlikely Ward will get another Superbowl before he retires (at least one in which he would play a significant factor given the young WR talent we have developing).

frankthetank1
06-26-2010, 09:45 AM
How about this:

"No comment"

Interview over.

if he always said that he would have no future as an analyst or whatever he wants to do after football. there have been a lot of athletes who never talked to the media and developed a bad rep as an a$$hole or a jerk. eddie murray (played for the mets and orioles) comes to mind as a perfect example. its not like hines ever called ben "the great white hope" like barry bonds said about andy van slyke in an interview. hines really isnt a bad guy or a bad teammate.

feltdizz
06-26-2010, 12:19 PM

Because of the controversy Ben caused and the suspension, it is unlikely Ward will get another Superbowl before he retires (at least one in which he would play a significant factor given the young WR talent we have developing).

Every year we say that and every year Hines proves us wrong. He isn't fast but he outran DeAngelo Hall with one shoe,

He isn't strong but he is the most feared WR in the league and forced a Hines rule because he was breakinbg players bones LEGALLY"

Hines isn't developing... the only problem is time and Ben screwed the team by getting in trouble. I'm sure more players are upset about this as well. Doesn't mean they don't support Ben...

Hines never called out Ben last year saying he shouldn't play. Sounds like Hines knows who gives us the best chance of winning and he was mad Ben wouldn't be out there in a game we needed. It's football guys...

BradshawsHairdresser
06-26-2010, 02:39 PM
Yeah I'm sure Ward's wife left him for no good reason. Just up and left.

????

You're saying Hines had to have been raping girls, or his wife wouldn't have left him?

Women leave their husbands all the time, for all kinds of different reasons. Sometimes it may be infidelity on the husband's part. Sometimes, it may be infidelity on the wife's part.
Sometimes it may be because the husband is a jerk. Sometimes the wife is. Usually, BOTH
can rightly take some blame. Yes, sometimes a wife might leave her husband because he is raping girls. But again, I don't have any evidence that would suggest that that, or any other kind of illegality, was connected with Hine's marital situation. Do you?

Steelers>NFL
06-26-2010, 03:13 PM
Release Hines! He is cancer...
I'd rather have TO, Ocho or Steve Smith anyday over Hines. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

eniparadoxgma
06-26-2010, 03:19 PM
HeHateMe is to Big Ben as _______ is to Hines Ward.

feltdizz
06-26-2010, 03:35 PM
HeHateMe is to Big Ben as _______ is to Hines Ward.

White Crash? 8)

NJ-STEELER
06-26-2010, 04:06 PM
yeah

2nd and 5 at PIT 43 (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger pass incomplete short left to H.Ward.

It was around 1 min on the clock. But given that it was a short pass from the Pit 43, it's hard to tell if it would have been a 1st down and it definitely wouldn't have put us in FG range. We'd have still had another 25-30 yds to go most likely.

i remeber it and it was a easy catch that he dropped and he could have gotten another 10 yards after the catch

feltdizz
06-26-2010, 04:38 PM
[quote="NJ-STEELER":7w0lklil]yeah

i remeber it and it was a easy catch that he dropped and he could have gotten another 10 yards after the catch[/quote:7w0lklil]

Last year was ST's and D.... and then the O.

NJ-STEELER
06-26-2010, 05:05 PM
actually i got mixed up and the KC game was before "the mouth" gave his interview on natioanl TV.

it was the raider game that we came out flat against (cant deny that).
a bottom 5 team that we lost to at home and then followed that up 4 days later with the stinker in cleveland.

THX hines

feltdizz
06-26-2010, 05:53 PM
actually i got mixed up and the KC game was before "the mouth" gave his interview on natioanl TV.

a bottom 5 team that we lost to at home and then followed that up 4 days later with the stinker in cleveland.

THX hines

HeHateMe is to Big Ben as NJ-Steeler is to Hines Ward.

Are you from the Jersey Shore? :wink:

You got it mixed up alright... all of it. Ben through a terrible INT in the endzone in the Raiders game as well....

please stop.

RuthlessBurgher
06-26-2010, 06:03 PM

THX hines

Are you from the Jersey Shore? :wink:

You got it mixed up alright... all of it. Ben through a terrible INT in the endzone in the Raiders game as well....

please stop.

That interception against Oakland obviously never would have happened if Hines Ward hadn't questioned Ben's toughness for sitting out the previous game again Baltimore, though. :lol:

feltdizz
06-26-2010, 07:02 PM
4th qtr defense would have been great if Hines just shut up and played. :lol:

NJ-STEELER
06-26-2010, 09:00 PM

THX hines

so you admit, you're alter ego hates ben..haha

wasn't that pick intended for hines???? ben trying to appease "the mouth" so he doesn't get ripped again, it seems

i guess its just coincidence the offense put up 2 stinkers vs. 2 of the worst teams in the NFL 7 and 11 days after the interview aired

diizzy b1tch :) , from your opinions you post on here, i have no doubt you watch each and every episode of 'jersey shore'.

hey at least you dont need juntinTV for that like you do the steeler games

Prok
06-26-2010, 09:17 PM
Good lord i just read through this whole thread.

I feel dirty now, thanks. :Bow

Whomever said much ado about nothing is prolly right imo.

But Hines could have gave better answers too.

feltdizz
06-26-2010, 10:16 PM
[quote="NJ-STEELER":3kgl6079]actually i got mixed up and the KC game was before "the mouth" gave his interview on natioanl TV.

THX hines

so you admit, you're alter ego hates ben..haha

wasn't that pick intended for hines???? ben trying to appease "the mouth" so he doesn't get ripped again, it seems

i guess its just coincidence the offense put up 2 stinkers vs. 2 of the worst teams in the NFL 7 and 11 days after the interview aired

diizzy b1tch :) , from your opinions you post on here, i have no doubt you watch each and every episode of 'jersey shore'.

hey at least you dont need juntinTV for that like you do the steeler games[/quote:3kgl6079]

You said a whole bunch of nothing...

you must live on the shore...

stlrz d
06-26-2010, 10:53 PM
How about this:

"No comment"

Interview over.

if he always said that he would have no future as an analyst or whatever he wants to do after football. there have been a lot of athletes who never talked to the media and developed a bad rep as an a$$hole or a jerk. eddie murray (played for the mets and orioles) comes to mind as a perfect example. its not like hines ever called ben "the great white hope" like barry bonds said about andy van slyke in an interview. hines really isnt a bad guy or a bad teammate.

It seems to have worked for Sterling Sharpe. ;)

Prok
06-26-2010, 10:58 PM
Not for nothing but imo if Hines tried broadcasting after his Steelers career i don't think he'd cut it.

I'm thinking Jerome Bettis part 2 for some reason.

RuthlessBurgher
06-27-2010, 12:50 AM
Good lord i just read through this whole thread.

I feel dirty now, thanks. :Bow

Whomever said much ado about nothing is prolly right imo.

But Hines could have gave better answers too.

Since Emmanuel Sanders has already said that he is trying to learn as much as he possibly can from Hines Ward, if the Colonel says anything that could remotely be construed as being even slightly controversial in your Q&A, we will hold you personally responsible for causing a distraction and ruining our season. :wink:

frankthetank1
06-27-2010, 12:32 PM
How about this:

"No comment"

Interview over.

i wouldnt know. i was pretty young when sterling sharpe played and there was no internet then :wink:

stlrz d
06-27-2010, 12:53 PM
How about this:

"No comment"

Interview over.

i wouldnt know. i was pretty young when sterling sharpe played and there was no internet then :wink:

Sure there was!

Sterling was very well known for his refusal to speak to the media. Then he became one of them and suddenly had to get out all that stuff he'd been holding in for years!

frankthetank1
06-27-2010, 02:01 PM
[quote=Crash]How about this:

"No comment"

Interview over.

Sure there was!

Sterling was very well known for his refusal to speak to the media. Then he became one of them and suddenly had to get out all that stuff he'd been holding in for years![/quote:2nv6691n]

i didnt know that. i dont think i had the internet until i was in high school in the mid 90's. i remember having dial up and never being able to get on because it was so busy

NorthCoast
06-27-2010, 05:20 PM

Every year we say that and every year Hines proves us wrong. He isn't fast but he outran DeAngelo Hall with one shoe,

He isn't strong but he is the most feared WR in the league and forced a Hines rule because he was breakinbg players bones LEGALLY"

Hines isn't developing... the only problem is time and Ben screwed the team by getting in trouble. I'm sure more players are upset about this as well. Doesn't mean they don't support Ben...

Hines never called out Ben last year saying he shouldn't play. Sounds like Hines knows who gives us the best chance of winning and he was mad Ben wouldn't be out there in a game we needed. It's football guys...

Agree on all points felt....Hines is a true iron-man of football. Wears his emotions out on his sleeve for sure. Honestly, I gonna miss that big smile he gives after every catch. He does it even on plays where he was plastered by a DB....wow, thinking about it I might have to search hulu right now for some highlights.