PDA

View Full Version : Best Steelers Team Ever: 1975

fordfixer
06-23-2010, 11:52 PM
Best Steelers Team Ever: 1975
By James Walker
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_ ... -ever-1975 (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/13870/best-steelers-team-ever-1975)

Notable players: QB Terry Bradshaw, LB Jack Lambert, RB Franco Harris, DB Mel Blount, LB Jack Ham, WR Lynn Swann, DT Joe Greene, WR John Stallworth.

Analysis: The '75 Steelers were the first Pittsburgh team to win back-to-back Super Bowls. It was also the best team from the famed Pittsburgh dynasty of the '70s, which included a bevy of Hall of Famers.

Led by the Bradshaw -- aka the "Blonde Bomber" -- Pittsburgh was able to win through the air and on the ground in an era when most teams were one-dimensional offensively and thrived on ground-and-pound football.

Pittsburgh's famed "Steel Curtain" defense was one of the best of all time and held seven opponents to single-digit scoring during the '75 season. In three playoff games, including the Super Bowl, offenses averaged only 12.3 points per game.

The '78 and '79 Pittsburgh title teams were also tremendous. But the '75 group had several key advantages.

For starters, every key member in '75 was in, or approaching, his prime. Hall of Famers Bradshaw (27), Blount (27), Ham (27), Lambert (23), Harris (25), Swann (23) and Stallworth (23) came into their own during this first run of back-to-back titles. By the time the second run of championships came at the end of the decade, this core group was four years older and some were approaching the end of their storied careers.

Further displaying their dominance, the '75 Steelers won by an astounding average of 15.1 points per game in the regular season, which led the NFL. It was also the highest margin of victory for any of Pittsburgh's championship teams. The '78 team won by an average of 10.1 points per game, while the '79 team won by 9.6 points per game.

Most impressive win: The Steelers' 21-17 victory over the Dallas Cowboys in Super Bowl X was the team's crowning achievement. The Steelers won the turnover battle 3-0 to pull out a historic and close game. It completed the first of Pittsburgh's two back-to-back championships in the decade.

Research Room: The Steelers allowed 17 touchdowns in 14 regular-season games in '75. In contrast, Pittsburgh scored 46 touchdowns, including two fumble returns for scores and one kickoff return.

Big Franco: Harris is best known for the "Immaculate Reception" in '72 during a playoff win over the Oakland Raiders. But his best season rushing the football came three years later.

Harris recorded a career-high 1,246 yards rushing and 11 touchdowns during Pittsburgh's title run in '75. He averaged 4.8 yards per carry and also caught 28 passes out of the backfield. The nine-time Pro Bowler and Hall of Famer had eight 1,000-yard seasons.

Honorable mentions (in order):

1978: A dominant group that won 14 games in the regular season and a Super Bowl. They scored at least 33 points in all three playoff victories.

1979: The last championship team of the Steelers dynasty of the '70s. This group was No. 1 in total offense and No. 2 in total defense.

1974: This team started the run of four championships in the '70s. But it wasn't until a year later that the core group of Hall Famers all blossomed and came into their own.

flippy
06-24-2010, 12:02 AM
I liked 2008 best.

fezziwig
06-24-2010, 12:21 AM
I too thought the 75 team was the best for many reason . The cast of players, the fact that it was back to back, they beat the hated Cowboys, Jack Lambert big time smack down of Cliff Harris and Lynn Swann showed the world he was a receiver that all receivers would be held up to. The team was no longer one dimensional and I could go on and on of why I think they were the best of the best.

fordfixer
06-24-2010, 01:09 AM
I liked the 76 team as the best all time team

aggiebones
06-24-2010, 10:11 AM
I don't agree for a couple reasons. One I think the guy is trying to just have an article for today and thought this one is a good debate topic.

Also, he mentions these guys:

Notable players: QB Terry Bradshaw, LB Jack Lambert, RB Franco Harris, DB Mel Blount, LB Jack Ham, WR Lynn Swann, DT Joe Greene, WR John Stallworth.

But they played in all 4. I'd be hard pressed to say the first Super Bowl was their best season. Certainly not Bradshaw's best year.

The offense was much better later. Many have said the middle years were better, but injuries late cost them.

Alas, its kinda pointless. But the guy needs to sell his article somehow.

RuthlessBurgher
06-24-2010, 12:28 PM
I don't agree for a couple reasons. One I think the guy is trying to just have an article for today and thought this one is a good debate topic.

Also, he mentions these guys:

But they played in all 4. I'd be hard pressed to say the first Super Bowl was their best season. Certainly not Bradshaw's best year.

The offense was much better later. Many have said the middle years were better, but injuries late cost them.

Alas, its kinda pointless. But the guy needs to sell his article somehow.

He didn't say the first Super Bowl was their best season. The 1975 season was the second Super Bowl season (Super Bowl X against the Cowboys was played in early 1976, but that was still the 1975 season). Similarly, our most recent Super Bowl was played in early 2009, but that was still the 2008 season.

ANPSTEEL
06-24-2010, 12:46 PM
:Agree

Injuries doomed that team in the regular season and playoffs

fordfixer
06-24-2010, 10:35 PM
:Agree

Injuries doomed that team in the regular season and playoffs
Yes they did :?