PDA

View Full Version : Landon Donovan is the Big Ben of Soccer!!!!!!!

flippy
06-23-2010, 12:03 PM
WoooooooOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Yipeekiyayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!

Nothing like waiting til the 92 minute to score and move on to the Sweet 16 or whatever those soccer fans call it.

It doesn't mattter.

I'm ecstatic....

Bouncing off the walls!!!!!!!

WooooooOOOO'OOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

What's with all this scoring in the final minutes?????

USA Soccer reminds me of the Steelers.

They drive me nuts the whole game, but when they win it's sweet!!!!!!!

WoooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Lando Commando!!!!!

Leader of the free world!!!!!!!

He pulls it out just in the end!!!!!!

(That wasn't a comment on bathroom gate)

Landon is a hero!!!!!!!!

WoooooooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's go!!!!!!

USA

USA

USA

USA

Beat up the rest of the world....

at soccer...

still don't get the game....

but I watch, so...

WooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

flippy
06-23-2010, 12:08 PM
For yinz non soccer freaks, Landon's goal was like Ben throwing a TD pass 45 seconds after the game ended. I don't get soccer rules or how they figure out how much extra time to add at the end, but who cares, we won.

USA rules!!!!!!!!

RuthlessBurgher
06-23-2010, 12:11 PM
You could actually say that Landon Donovan is the Big Ben of Football, but that's really confusing. :mrgreen:

Steelgal
06-23-2010, 12:19 PM
I'm still in disbelieve of the game. Don't get me started on the 2nd disallowed goal for the US :HeadBanger

They had SOOOOOOOOOO many chances to put it in the net and couldn't connect. They totally outplayed Algeria, but I feared it would come down to a tie and they'd be denied from the round of 16.

But starting with Tim Howard's quick release to get the ball in play, they pounced on Algeria's D and finally got the goal!!!!!

It was an amazing, gutless performance by the entire US team and a well deserved WIN!!!!

:Beer

Steelgal
06-23-2010, 12:20 PM
For yinz non soccer freaks, Landon's goal was like Ben throwing a TD pass 45 seconds after the game ended. I don't get soccer rules or how they figure out how much extra time to add at the end, but who cares, we won.

USA rules!!!!!!!!

The clock NEVER stops during a game for penalties, injuries, and etc.. So the stoppage time is calculated by a 4th referee on the sideline to account for the 'downtime' that happened during the game.

RuthlessBurgher
06-23-2010, 12:31 PM
I'm still in disbelieve of the game. Don't get me started on the 2nd disallowed goal for the US :HeadBanger

They had SOOOOOOOOOO many chances to put it in the net and couldn't connect. They totally outplayed Algeria, but I feared it would come down to a tie and they'd be denied from the round of 16.

But starting with Tim Howard's quick release to get the ball in play, they pounced on Algeria's D and finally got the goal!!!!!

It was an amazing, gutless performance by the entire US team and a well deserved WIN!!!!

I hope you meant gutsy and not gutless. Big difference there.

flippy
06-23-2010, 12:36 PM

USA rules!!!!!!!!

The clock NEVER stops during a game for penalties, injuries, and etc.. So the stoppage time is calculated by a 4th referee on the sideline to account for the 'downtime' that happened during the game.

I get that, but the thing is it seems so arbitrary to me. And they announce the extra time at the 90th minute. And what about the things that slow down the game in the extra time. I dunno, the concept is just weird to me.

flippy
06-23-2010, 12:38 PM

There were 3 or 4 plays that made me feel like I felt when Jerome Bettis fumbled in the Colts playoff game.

Those disallowed goals give me hope going into the final 16.

We've got some karma coming back our way and that may be needed in the games against the better opponents.

ikestops85
06-23-2010, 12:40 PM

USA rules!!!!!!!!

I get that, but the thing is it seems so arbitrary to me. And they announce the extra time at the 90th minute. And what about the things that slow down the game in the extra time. I dunno, the concept is just weird to me.

It IS arbitrary ... the stoppage time is purely at the whim of the referee. He signals the 4th official how much time to announce but then he still doesn't have to follow that. Sometimes the game can last a minute or two longer than he announces or sometimes it can be less. It is definitely a strange concept for us Americans to grasp.

But we WON!!!!! Woo Hoo!!!

Steelers>NFL
06-23-2010, 12:43 PM
But soccer is nothing like watching the Steelers. No comparison.
I'll take the latter any day of the week.
The former - boring....

flippy
06-23-2010, 12:46 PM

USA rules!!!!!!!!

It IS arbitrary ... the stoppage time is purely at the whim of the referee. He signals the 4th official how much time to announce but then he still doesn't have to follow that. Sometimes the game can last a minute or two longer than he announces or sometimes it can be less. It is definitely a strange concept for us Americans to grasp.

Yeah, that's the thing, they announce it and then just stop whenever they feel like it. I really am interested in understanding it if it's possible.

It seems this could determine the outcome of the game.

Steelgal
06-23-2010, 12:50 PM

I hope you meant gutsy and not gutless. Big difference there.

Oops, yep that's what I meant....

Steelgal
06-23-2010, 12:54 PM

USA rules!!!!!!!!

Yeah, that's the thing, they announce it and then just stop whenever they feel like it. I really am interested in understanding it if it's possible.

It seems this could determine the outcome of the game.

What irks me is that FIFA doesn't even have the obligation to explain calls by the ref. We still don't have a definative answer from why the other goal was disallowed against Slovenia and never will. Atleast the NFL has Mike P. explaining the controversial calls now. He's even admitted when they've made the wrong call.

I guess the US standards for their sports aren't followed by other sports/countries and it stinks.

RuthlessBurgher
06-23-2010, 01:13 PM
What irks me is that FIFA doesn't even have the obligation to explain calls by the ref. We still don't have a definative answer from why the other goal was disallowed against Slovenia and never will. Atleast the NFL has Mike P. explaining the controversial calls now. He's even admitted when they've made the wrong call.

I guess the US standards for their sports aren't followed by other sports/countries and it stinks.

No explanation whatsoever for such a monumental call is mindblowing.

By the way, Mike Pereira retired. The NFL hired Carl Johnson to replace him as the vice president of officiating a few months ago.

Oviedo
06-23-2010, 01:35 PM
The former - boring....

Change your screen name to Fidel Castro why don't you

This was the biggest win in US Soccer history and I don't care if it is tiddly winks if the boys and girls are wearing you country's colors it is significant and you should freakin care

focosteeler
06-23-2010, 01:38 PM
The former - boring....

if you watched the game today it was probably one of the more exciting games ive ever seen...GO USA!!!! :tt1

Oviedo
06-23-2010, 01:39 PM

No explanation whatsoever for such a monumental call is mindblowing.

By the way, Mike Pereira retired. The NFL hired Carl Johnson to replace him as the vice president of officiating a few months ago.

That's because they can't say we hate to see the Americans win at anything especially soccer since it the only thing the rest of us are good at.

Steelers>NFL
06-23-2010, 02:04 PM
The former - boring....

This was the biggest win in US Soccer history and I don't care if it is tiddly winks if the boys and girls are wearing you country's colors it is significant and you should freakin care

:Blah

papillon
06-23-2010, 02:11 PM
Typically, the stoppage time is not arbitrary. The 4th referee keeps track of the down time during a game and he will never add 45 seconds, 30 seconds, 1 minute and 30 seconds, it's always a whole number, ie 1 minute, 2 minutes, 3 minutes, etc. The center referee does have the ultimate say, but typically he won't override the 4th official. He does take into account any injury time, etc during the stoppage time and will add accordingly, but it is not announced.

Reasons for adding stoppage time include, injury, celebration time after a goal and any time spent arguing with a coach or player about a call.

substitutions do not add to stoppage time and you'll see coaches make a substitution with 30 seconds to go if his team is under pressure, because, you can nurse 30 seconds off the clock getting a player off the field and the new player on the field.

The carding (yellow or red) does not add time to a half, unless, a brawl ensues or some other extracurricular activity.

I fell in love with soccer the moment I watched a game and there was absolutely no stopping the flow of the game for commercials, instant replays, etc. When you watch soccer you are seeing the game played in the manner that it was intended to be played, no stopping, just 90 minutes to determine the best team.

The USA had a goal taken away today that was a bad call, Clint Dempsey was not offside and Landon hit the post and then whiffed the rebound earlier in the game as well. The game should have been 3-0; the USA outplayed them.

Pappy

Oviedo
06-23-2010, 02:50 PM
Typically, the stoppage time is not arbitrary. The 4th referee keeps track of the down time during a game and he will never add 45 seconds, 30 seconds, 1 minute and 30 seconds, it's always a whole number, ie 1 minute, 2 minutes, 3 minutes, etc. The center referee does have the ultimate say, but typically he won't override the 4th official. He does take into account any injury time, etc during the stoppage time and will add accordingly, but it is not announced.

Reasons for adding stoppage time include, injury, celebration time after a goal and any time spent arguing with a coach or player about a call.

substitutions do not add to stoppage time and you'll see coaches make a substitution with 30 seconds to go if his team is under pressure, because, you can nurse 30 seconds off the clock getting a player off the field and the new player on the field.

The carding (yellow or red) does not add time to a half, unless, a brawl ensues or some other extracurricular activity.

I fell in love with soccer the moment I watched a game and there was absolutely no stopping the flow of the game for commercials, instant replays, etc. When you watch soccer you are seeing the game played in the manner that it was intended to be played, no stopping, just 90 minutes to determine the best team.

The USA had a goal taken away today that was a bad call, Clint Dempsey was not offside and Landon hit the post and then whiffed the rebound earlier in the game as well. The game should have been 3-0; the USA outplayed them.

Pappy

:Agree :Agree :Agree

flippy
06-23-2010, 03:54 PM
[quote="Steelers>NFL":2363r8g5]But soccer is nothing like watching the Steelers. No comparison.
The former - boring....

:Blah[/quote:2363r8g5]

I'm usually with you, but I watch them play nonetheless.

And today's game had me going as crazy as any Steelers game.

The big play was like James Harrison's pick 6 in XLIII.

You just knew the US had an advantage and a chance when the goalie started the play in the other direction.

And Donovan putting it in the net was like James falling into the endzone on his head.

And it was clutch like Ben driving the field 88 yards to win the game.

It was flippin awesome!!!!!

oh yeah and

WoooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Oviedo
06-23-2010, 04:58 PM
[quote="Steelers>NFL":2c4jkcys]But soccer is nothing like watching the Steelers. No comparison.
The former - boring....

You just knew the US had an advantage and a chance when the goalie started the play in the other direction.

And Donovan putting it in the net was like James falling into the endzone on his head.

oh yeah and

WoooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! !![/quote:2c4jkcys]

:Agree USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA

Looks like we play Ghana next which is a very good draw for the US although Ghana is probably the fastest team in the WC. They are however young and inexperienced but that is balanced with the poor play of our central defense thus far. IMO it will be another nailbiter!!!!

Dust off the references as this team being the "Cardiac Kids"

aggiebones
06-23-2010, 05:20 PM
That game was incredible and very stressful to say the least.

The end of the game reminded me more of the Bettis fumble game versus Indy in playoffs. Not sure why, but stress was similar. Hopefully the final result is the same...

I would have preferred Serbia getting a draw today and us getting them in the second round. Euros don't fair well typically out of Europe. I don't like the idea of playing the last African team in the WC. Ghana is fast, but shooting is all over the place. We will likely play more settled and counter.

Gotta say that we are a very fit side for sure.

flippy
06-23-2010, 05:22 PM
[quote="Steelers>NFL":360b9wks]But soccer is nothing like watching the Steelers. No comparison.
The former - boring....

oh yeah and

WoooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! !!

:Agree USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA

Looks like we play Ghana next which is a very good draw for the US although Ghana is probably the fastest team in the WC. They are however young and inexperienced but that is balanced with the poor play of our central defense thus far. IMO it will be another nailbiter!!!!

Dust off the references as this team being the "Cardiac Kids"[/quote:360b9wks]

I think we're due to have some bounces go our way.

I haven't seen much of Ghana but they've apparently been playing pretty well.

birtikidis
06-23-2010, 06:22 PM
The former - boring....

sorry, don't care. soccer sucks. and Donovan came across as a total pillow biter to me on ESPN. I thought it was funny as hell when they had the US soccer team "come out" on the colbert report that they were soccer players..

NJ-STEELER
06-23-2010, 06:29 PM

Pappy

algeria hit a cross bar as well early on

SanAntonioSteelerFan
06-23-2010, 10:00 PM
The former - boring....

sorry, don't care. soccer sucks. and Donovan came across as a total pillow biter to me on ESPN. I thought it was funny as hell when they had the US soccer team "come out" on the colbert report that they were soccer players.

[youtube:1eq7yrrx]<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5xLn-X8YJRg&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5xLn-X8YJRg&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>[/youtube:1eq7yrrx]

papillon
06-23-2010, 10:06 PM

Pappy

That's true, the US still outplayed them. Team USA has a good draw to get into the final four: USA (14), Uruguay (16), Ghana (32), and South Korea (47). If they keep their back line tight and defend well they should be able to win two games and move into the round of 4 (probably will get Brazil or Italy here). If they happen to make it and so does Brazil the USA should have some confidence; they had Brazil beat 2-0 at half and then fekll asleep on defense and gave up two goals for the tie.

Team USA by winning their group avoided having to play Germany (England gets that honor). This is set up as good as the USA could imagine right now. They won't have to see Spain, Argentina or England unless it's in the final for all the marbles.

Pappy

flippy
06-24-2010, 12:09 PM

Pappy

The fact that the extra time is always a whole number of minutes means it's arbitrary. I'd rather see them just stop the clock if needed or stop the game at 90 minutes. Or be exact and add an extra 1:39 or whatever the precise time should be.

Then the referee ends the game at 3:27 or some odd time anyways. It really makes no sense.

Then you get teams substituting and faking injuries to eat up the time anyway.

I watched the end of the Italy vs Slovokia upset and it felt like the referee was extending the game arbitrarily to try to allow Italy to come back. They added 4 minutes to the game, but then stopped the game at 6:29. Huh? The announcers don't even know when it's gonna end and then it's kinda awkward when it ends and they go there we have it like they knew the game was gonna end that moment.

It's just really messed up that only 1 guy knows/controls when the game will end and it's a secret to everyone until it's over.

ikestops85
06-24-2010, 12:54 PM

Pappy

That's true, the US still outplayed them. Team USA has a good draw to get into the final four: USA (14), Uruguay (16), Ghana (32), and South Korea (47). If they keep their back line tight and defend well they should be able to win two games and move into the round of 4 (probably will get Brazil or Italy here). If they happen to make it and so does Brazil the USA should have some confidence; they had Brazil beat 2-0 at half and then fekll asleep on defense and gave up two goals for the tie.

Team USA by winning their group avoided having to play Germany (England gets that honor). This is set up as good as the USA could imagine right now. They won't have to see Spain, Argentina or England unless it's in the final for all the marbles.

Pappy

Italy is out and I am glad. They are bigger floppers than any center who ever played Shaq in his prime.

SteelAbility
06-25-2010, 08:08 AM

Pappy

Pappy

Italy is out and I am glad. They are bigger floppers than any center who ever played Shaq in his prime.

Yeah, I hate that. Plus in their game, the stoppage time was announced to be 4 minutes and the ref allowed it to go out to about 96 minutes. I didn't see the game. Perhaps a player went down early in stoppage time. Italy nearly scored late in the 95th minute. Barring a stoppage in stoppage time, that was an outrage. They gave Spain a full minute too in their opening loss to Switzerland. They give these marquis teams every advantage they can. Makes me sick. :x

SteelAbility
06-25-2010, 08:16 AM
I saw an article saying that Donovan could very well turn that one goal-scoring sequence into about $10 Million. He actually played it beautifully right from the start. He took a good angle on his initial run, taking away Howard's guesswork as to where to throw the ball. He actually helped Howard to help him. He parlayed that into an in-stride first touch on the ball. Then he pushed the ball with incredible pace, keeping the defenders backpeddling and his own men facing goal at all times. A solid choice to pass to Altidore who had two options - go on-goal or pass. Then he didn't overcommit on the ensuing attempt on goal. He hung out in the "sweet spot" where he could get a long or short rebound, waited to see how it played out and then BOOM finished it. Brilliant from start to finish!!!! The guy has incredible play recognition skill.