PDA

View Full Version : Nice local (NJ) article on Worilds

rpmpit
06-22-2010, 07:51 AM
http://www.mycentraljersey.com/article/ ... y-hometown (http://www.mycentraljersey.com/article/20100622/NEWS/6210335/NFL-draftee-Jason-Worilds-a-Carteret-grad-honored-by-hometown)

NFL draftee Jason Worilds, a Carteret grad, honored by hometown
By PAUL FRANKLIN STAFF WRITER June 22, 2010

CARTERET Jason Worilds practices what he preaches

The 2006 graduate of Carteret High School was honored by his hometown Monday afternoon at the football field. He received a "Jason Worilds Day" proclamation from Mayor Dan Reiman, was presented a key to the city, and was given a framed blue and white jersey representing the retirement of his No. 25.
Late next month he will be wearing a different number and different colors as he embarks on his National Football League career with the Pittsburgh Steelers.
"If I could say anything to everybody, especially to all the students, what I'd say is work. Work. Work. There's no excuse," Worilds said. "The world don't owe you nothing."
His comments created cheers among a crowd of approximately 350, which included the school pep band and cheerleaders, borough officials, coaches, teachers and family members.
Aside from a handful of people who stepped to the podium to praise the young man, everyone else stayed in the shade of the covered bleachers.

"I was sitting at the other (side)," Worilds said, nodding to the bleachers. "I was watching football games, I was watching all the (good) players. I wanted to be like them. I made my goal and I didn't stop until I got there."
Worilds, a 6-foot-2, 250-pound linebacker taken in the second round of the draft in early spring, earned an undergraduate degree at Virginia Tech, where he received Atlantic Coast Conference honors as well as All-America recognition as a player.
A police car delivered the man of the day to the Ramblers' field, where black and gold (Steelers) balloons danced in the slight breeze.
"There's going to be a lot of things along the way," Worilds said about the journey that awaits. "Injuries, personal problems, personal issues, friends, people that tell you you can't do it. Whatever it is. It's not about football, it's about life in general. I have conversations with people to this day telling me, "J, you're pushing too hard, you're going too far.'
"What is too hard? What is too far?," he said. "I don't understand that."

His coaches understand.

Bob Molarz was head coach when Worilds played three years of varsity. Amazingly, the kid, who moved into town from Orange as an eighth-grader, had never played football. He was a soccer player and quite a talented saxophone player.
"Jason was really the whole package," said Molarz, who is now coaching at St. Joseph in Metuchen. "What separated him was the fact that after his sophomore year he realized that he had one goal in mind, and that was to be a big-time college football player and then going into the NFL.
"He was probably the most focused, caring young man I've ever been associated with in 30 years. He befriended my family and all those around him. Everybody says tremendous things about him, whether it's a teacher, administrator, the average Joe walking on the street. Everybody gravitated to him; he's that special a guy."
Rob Smith was a freshman during Worilds' senior year. Now playing college football at St. Francis in Pennsylvania, he remembered him as, "an extraordinary player. Quiet guy, never rowdy, but when he got in a game, he went off.

He's still regular Jason," Smith added with a smile. "The one thing I like about him is he's very humble. Some guys brag. Not J."
Vinnie Fruscella was 12 when Worilds was a senior. He remembered the big kid towering over everyone else, watching his helmet dash through and around opponents in the end zone.
He might remember Monday even more.
An upcoming senior, Fruscella is a two-way player for the Ramblers. Too small to play college football, his 3.4 GPA is big enough to continue his pursuit of becoming an athletic trainer.
"When he says work, work, work, that the world doesn't owe you anything, that's what I'm taking from this," he said. "You gotta work for everything you want. "

fordfixer
06-22-2010, 08:05 AM
Thanks for posting :tt1

ramblinjim
06-22-2010, 08:55 AM
yup, good stuff.

proudpittsburgher
06-22-2010, 09:37 AM
Rob Smith was a freshman during Worilds' senior year. Now playing college football at St. Francis in Pennsylvania, he remembered him as, "an extraordinary player. Quiet guy, never rowdy, but when he got in a game, he went off.

He's still regular Jason," Smith added with a smile. "The one thing I like about him is he's very humble. Some guys brag. Not J."

I like him already. :tt2

ikestops85
06-22-2010, 12:52 PM

I like him already. :tt2

Yeah, me too. Before I had the impression he was one of those cocky guys who thought they were already the greatest. Maybe because of the All-Worilds nickname. This has certainly erased that perception. Go J!!

flippy
06-22-2010, 01:39 PM
This is sounding more and more like our best draft ever. I have this feeling we're gonna look back at this draft and see it as Tomlin/Colbert's finest.

NC Steeler Fan
06-22-2010, 02:44 PM
This is exactly the kind of thing I need to read about the Steelers these days to really get me over the hump til the season starts.

Enough with the bad news BS already.

He's the kind of player that will hopefully make the highlight reels for years to come!

jj28west
06-22-2010, 07:02 PM
High Character + Natural Ability...looks like a winner. Much more grounded and mature then I when I was his age, never mind the $12 bucks per hour I was commanding vs the millions that he has coming.

Mister Pittsburgh
06-26-2010, 01:20 PM
Thanks for posting this. Nice read.