PDA

View Full Version : Lost opportunity for Roethlisberger

fordfixer
06-22-2010, 12:47 AM
Gorman: Lost opportunity for Roethlisberger

Tuesday, June 22, 2010
Big Ben's bad ranking
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 87093.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_687093.html)

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is the third most-hated man in sports, according to a Forbes magazine poll.

He received a 57 percent disapproval rating.

For the second consecutive year, Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Michael Vick ranked No. 1 at 69 percent, and Oakland Raiders owner Al Davis was second at 66 percent. Jerry Jones and Tiger Woods (53 percent) tied for fourth.

With Mike Tomlin serving as moderator, football campers were free to ask anything of special guest Heath Miller.

The Steelers' Pro Bowl tight end must have been caught off-guard by one question:

Do you have a bodyguard?

Ben Roethlisberger's name is no longer associated with what is now known as the Coach Tomlin Football Camp, but it was a telling display of the damage Roethlisberger has done to his reputation.

Kids know that Roethlisberger has been run through the ringer since March 5, when in the company of two law-enforcement officers serving as bodyguards he was accused of (but not charged with) sexually assaulting a 20-year-old woman at a nightclub in Milledgeville, Ga.

Miller handled it deftly, asking, "No ... are you looking to help me out?"

After relying on self-serving, sit-down interviews with hand-picked local television stations, Roethlisberger could have used the camp to begin repairing his image in front of his most impressionable fans.

Instead, Monday was another example of the Steelers covering for their franchise quarterback amid the chronicling of boorish behavior that recently brought Roethlisberger a No. 3 ranking in a Forbes magazine poll of the most-hated men in sports.

"This is normally a camp that Ben does," Miller said. "Obviously, he wasn't able to do it this year, so we'll all step in and pick up the slack for him."

The move to replace Roethlisberger with Tomlin and rename the camp was fallout from the conditional six-game suspension the NFL handed Roethlisberger in April after two sexual assault accusations in nine months.

It was a collective decision, one that served both the interests of the sponsors and Roethlisberger's charitable foundation, over concerns that parents would resist sending their children to a camp run by the Steelers quarterback. It's one that apparently is killing Roethlisberger, who is said to love the camp but was advised that the wounds still were too fresh.

They found a good replacement in Tomlin.

The 38-year-old father of three bounced from drill to drill and playfully interacted with the campers, ages 7-14 including his two sons yesterday at Mars High School.

"Are you kidding? I coach kids every day because I've got three waiting in the driveway for me when I get home from work, two of which are out here," Tomlin said. "We're parents first. What I do is what I do. Dad is who I am. Working with kids is a passion of mine. I happen to get a lot of work at it, a lot of opportunity to get better at it. We're doing that here."

The Steelers coach said he was only baby-sitting, that it was his "full intention" for Roethlisberger to headline the camp next year, and he objected to an assertion that the switch was meant to rehabilitate the Steelers' image.

"We're not interested in rehabilitation," Tomlin said. "We're just interested in doing what's right by these young folks. We're looking forward to these three days. I'm glad to be a part of it.

"This really has nothing to do with what's going on with us professionally as a football team or organization."

That's the shame of it, really.

Too often we put professional athletes on a pedestal, only to pounce upon their mistakes when learning from them would be more beneficial. It's understandable that no one wants to be associated with negative publicity when it's easier for companies to distance themselves from trouble.

But what kind of message does that send?

The youth football camp would have been the perfect venue for Roethlisberger to show some accountability by making himself available to young Steelers fans. What was lost was a chance to humanize Roethlisberger, to let him show children the lesson of admitting that we all make mistakes and the importance of picking yourself up after falling down.

"Hopefully," Miller said, "this will be a lasting experience for these kids that they'll remember for awhile."

No doubt they will.

You just wonder what kind of message was sent.

If the campers ever get in trouble, will they show up and answer for it or expect someone else to step in and pick up the slack?

Djfan
06-22-2010, 01:07 AM
These witch hunters have two camps:

One if he does that youth camp he is just trying to look good, but isn't.

The other, he looks bad if he doesn't do the youth camp, because he's a putz.

Media, media, blah, blah, blah.

Just win, Ben.

hawaiiansteel
06-22-2010, 01:21 AM

Just win, Ben.

very true, that strategy has worked well for Kobe.

Crash
06-22-2010, 02:36 AM
Like Mr. Myagi says: Not everything is as seen.

There's a reason Gorman was stuck covering high school sports for so long. This BS article only proves that point even more.

Oviedo
06-22-2010, 07:33 AM

Just win, Ben.

Very true. If Ben was at the camp some media witch hunter would be writing about "how terrible it is for someone like Ben to be around these young kids." He isn't there so now it is a missed opportunity.

The reality is that if Ben was there you would have some parents who are newly minted Ben-haters pull their kids out of the camp. You also would have had media crawling all over the place trying to ask Ben questions distracting from the kids and worse yet in their typical scummy media way trying to ask the kids questions. The only ones losing had it played out like that are the kids.

The way they have done it is the right way.

stlrz d
06-22-2010, 07:48 AM

Just win, Ben.

Actually they're all in the same camp. Had Ben done his hosting duties this same dude would be writing a story about how Ben's insistence on hosting the camp cost some kids the opportunity to go since their parents pulled them out.

Blah, blah, blah.

Just another opportunity to try and get web clicks by using Ben's name.

Some photoshopper should design a STFU award and we should start bombarding writers like this, via email, with said award! :D

Ozey74
06-22-2010, 08:01 AM
The media hates the Steelers. Had Tony Romo's career followed the same paths as Ben's, the type of media coverage would be very different. I agree with what DJfan said, he's damned if he does & damned if he doesn't. We just have get used to it.

NC Steeler Fan
06-22-2010, 10:10 AM
The media hates the Steelers. Had Tony Romo's career followed the same paths as Ben's, the type of media coverage would be very different. I agree with what DJfan said, he's damned if he does & damned if he doesn't. We just have get used to it.

Agreed, as I think this is just the tip of the iceberg.

I just hope training camp doesn't turn out to be a circus because of it...

aggiebones
06-22-2010, 10:58 AM
hey is Kobe on the list?
If not, then Ben's name will drip off when the next idiot comes along.
Frankly, I'm not entirely sure Ben did anything wrong legally. And as a fellow that was once 28 and living in a college town, I had sex with a few 20 year olds. 20 year olds aren't 15. Big difference. Hell I was taken home drunk one night by a 20 yr old who hadn't been drinking. In case you are wondering, I didn't claim rape.

Oviedo
06-22-2010, 11:34 AM
hey is Kobe on the list?
Frankly, I'm not entirely sure Ben did anything wrong legally. And as a fellow that was once 28 and living in a college town, I had sex with a few 20 year olds. 20 year olds aren't 15. Big difference. Hell I was taken home drunk one night by a 20 yr old who hadn't been drinking. In case you are wondering, I didn't claim rape.

Broke the law = NO!!!

Used less brain cells than he should have = YES!!!!!!!

siss
06-22-2010, 11:50 AM
hey is Kobe on the list?

Broke the law = NO!!!

Used less brain cells than he should have = YES!!!!!!!
this

Djfan
06-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Ovi,

You are 100% correct. So how about we all have a lynch mob and try really hard to destroy a guy who has openly started eating humble pie?

See how empty that is? This is what the media sluts are doing. Give the guy a chance. They should just pretend he is Bill Clinton and try really hard to protect him.

Let the guy fix this. Don't pile on and try to kill him.

Oviedo
06-22-2010, 02:58 PM
Ovi,

You are 100% correct. So how about we all have a lynch mob and try really hard to destroy a guy who has openly started eating humble pie?

See how empty that is? This is what the media sluts are doing. Give the guy a chance. They should just pretend he is Bill Clinton and try really hard to protect him.

Only time will fix this for Ben combined with smarter choices. The media is dying right now because Ben has gone to ground. They want to get him in front of cameras to hammer him over and over again. If I were advising Ben I would say stay away until camp and just focus on football.

The media won't protect Ben because he isn't their icon and he is "just an athlete" who to the liberal media reminds them of all the high school jocks who use to torment the nerds in HS of which the vast majority of the media were.

Crash
06-22-2010, 03:16 PM
Ben doesn't kiss the media's butt. That's why this is happening with local media.

"What comes around goes around" for Ben is what the PG sports editor Jerry Micco called it.

Which is why most local media haven't reported on the inconsistent statements in the cd/dvds and the media instead chooses to "move on".

kiwi_sarah
06-22-2010, 05:05 PM
Ben doesn't kiss the media's butt. That's why this is happening with local media.

"What comes around goes around" for Ben is what the PG sports editor Jerry Micco called it.

Which is why most local media haven't reported on the inconsistent statements in the cd/dvds and the media instead chooses to "move on".

Interrrrrresting. Makes sense. Sucks, but makes sense.

feltdizz
06-22-2010, 07:29 PM
Ovi,

Only time will fix this for Ben combined with smarter choices. The media is dying right now because Ben has gone to ground. They want to get him in front of cameras to hammer him over and over again. If I were advising Ben I would say stay away until camp and just focus on football.

The media won't protect Ben because he isn't their icon and he is "just an athlete" who to the liberal media reminds them of all the high school jocks who use to torment the nerds in HS of which the vast majority of the media were.

The media won't protect Ben because he doesn't have Nike, Haynes, Oreo cookie and American Express commercials....

There is no liberal media agenda against Ben...LOL!!!

BURGH86STEEL
06-22-2010, 08:14 PM

Why is it that some fans always think the media, refs, or the league hates their team? Go to any message board and you will find that it's true. Always some fans complaining about this or that. I don't believe there is an agenda by the media, refs, or league against any team. All teams deal with negative press, bad calls, suspensions, or negativity at some point.

Ben damned himself with his sense of entitlement and poor decisions he made. Would not even be an issue if he took people's advice or learned from previous mistakes.

feltdizz
06-22-2010, 08:29 PM

Why is it that some fans always think the media, refs, or the league hates their team? Go to any message board and you will find that it's true. Always some fans complaining about this or that. I don't believe there is an agenda by the media, refs, or league against any team. All teams deal with negative press, bad calls, suspensions, or negativity at some point.

Ben damned himself with his sense of entitlement and poor decisions he made. Would not even be an issue if he took people's advice or learned from previous mistakes.

"if this was Peyton or Brady or Favre the media would.. :roll:

when another player gets in trouble those same fans say.."if this was a Steeler it would be 20 times worse" LOL..

some people can't deal with reality and have to blame ANYONE but the people involved. Even discussing the incident on a Steeler message board is seen as being "morally superior"

Crash
06-22-2010, 09:10 PM
I don't see Peyton getting bashed for his sexual assault on a female trainer when he sat on her face and put his balls in her face also, do you? He even paid the girl off.

Tom Brady knocks up one girl, leaves her for another, and then hires armed bodyguards who shoot at photographers. Where's the outrage?

hawaiiansteel
06-22-2010, 09:31 PM
I don't see Peyton getting bashed for his sexual assault on a female trainer when he sat on her face and put his balls in her face also, do you? He even paid the girl off.

Tom Brady knocks up one girl, leaves her for another, and then hires armed bodyguards who shoot at photographers. Where's the outrage?

I'm outraged...

http://cdn.ksk.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/blogger/_3ZJuj_RcIcI/RsXr4tdXalI/AAAAAAAAAU0/RN-dHUjdBec/s320/brady.jpghttp://cdn.wl.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/893-brady4-150x150.jpghttp://cdn.wl.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/892-brady3.jpg

stlrz d
06-22-2010, 11:45 PM

The media ran with allegations, unsubstantiated claims and biased "accounts" of what took place that night. So yes, the media has some blame in this. The salaciousness of these allegations is enough to get attention which means website views, increased newspaper circulation, higher TV ratings, etc.

But I don't believe this is happening just because it's Ben or the Steelers. They would be doing this for any professional athlete or celebrity. Tiger Woods anyone?

feltdizz
06-23-2010, 12:29 AM

Peyton was bashed when the story broke but it was 10 years ago.

I agree on the Brady gun shooting incident but it was his bodyguards not him. Tom Brady isn't the first athlete to have a child out of wedlock... It's common.

I was outraged...

BURGH86STEEL
06-23-2010, 06:41 AM

The media ran with allegations, unsubstantiated claims and biased "accounts" of what took place that night. So yes, the media has some blame in this. The salaciousness of these allegations is enough to get attention which means website views, increased newspaper circulation, higher TV ratings, etc.

But I don't believe this is happening just because it's Ben or the Steelers. They would be doing this for any professional athlete or celebrity. Tiger Woods anyone?

The media is going to report big and negative stories over and over and over again. I don't think will change. People seem to like negative stories. I don't watch much news because of the negativity.

The best way to keep one's self out of the news is not to do anything to be in the news.
Ben subjected himself to that scrutiny with his poor decision making. Same can be said for Woods.

kiwi_sarah
06-23-2010, 06:23 PM
Roethlisberger Surprises Kids At Camp Tomlin

Steelers Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger surprised youngsters at the Old Spice Coach Tomlin Football Camp today

Youngsters attending Coach Mike Tomlin's youth football camp at Mars Area High School got a surprise visit from Steelers Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger today.

Throughout the week, Steelers players Heath Miller, Brett Keisel and Chris Hoke have spent time working with the campers at The Old Spice Coach Tomlin Football Camp.

Roethlisberger stopped by the campus this morning to spend time with the kids on the final day of the camp.

"I love coming out here and participating with these guys and having fun, seeing the smile on their face," Roethlisberger told KDKA's John Shumway.

"One kid he dropped a pass," Roethlisberger added, "but he was excited because he got to at least attempt to catch it. To see the smile on some of the kids' faces when they catch touchdowns and they're high-fiving and it just it brings joy to your life!"

For the last two years, Roethlisberger has led the camp; but developments over the past few months necessitated that he step away from leading the camp this year.

Earlier this week, some youngsters who attended the camp in previous years said they missed having Roethlisberger around.

"Ben used to play with us more," Bethany Carcaise of Illinois told KDKA on Monday. "He acted like a kid!"

Carcaise was thrilled by the quarterback's surprise appearance today. "I was really excited 'cause I wanted to see him!"

She wasn't alone.

"It was fun playing with Ben and it was pretty cool that I got to meet Ben this year," Noah Willard of Darlinton said.

Coach Tomlin, who brought his own 8- and 9-year-old sons to the camp, told KDKA that he fully expects the QB to be back at the helm next year. "That is our full intention, absolutely. In the meanwhile, I get to babysit it and that's fun also. I might be back next year, too!"

Roethlisberger said he enjoyed his time at the camp today -- making it clear that it's his intention to be back next year as well.

"I'm having a blast... I'm sweating more than most of these kids, running around, and I'm dying out here; but if they have fun, I'm having fun!"

http://kdka.com/steelers/Ben.Roethlisberger.Camp.2.1768083.html

stlrz d
06-23-2010, 08:09 PM

Steelers Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger surprised youngsters at the Old Spice Coach Tomlin Football Camp today

Youngsters attending Coach Mike Tomlin's youth football camp at Mars Area High School got a surprise visit from Steelers Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger today.

Throughout the week, Steelers players Heath Miller, Brett Keisel and Chris Hoke have spent time working with the campers at The Old Spice Coach Tomlin Football Camp.

Roethlisberger stopped by the campus this morning to spend time with the kids on the final day of the camp.

"I love coming out here and participating with these guys and having fun, seeing the smile on their face," Roethlisberger told KDKA's John Shumway.

"One kid he dropped a pass," Roethlisberger added, "but he was excited because he got to at least attempt to catch it. To see the smile on some of the kids' faces when they catch touchdowns and they're high-fiving and it just it brings joy to your life!"

For the last two years, Roethlisberger has led the camp; but developments over the past few months necessitated that he step away from leading the camp this year.

Earlier this week, some youngsters who attended the camp in previous years said they missed having Roethlisberger around.

"Ben used to play with us more," Bethany Carcaise of Illinois told KDKA on Monday. "He acted like a kid!"

Carcaise was thrilled by the quarterback's surprise appearance today. "I was really excited 'cause I wanted to see him!"

She wasn't alone.

"It was fun playing with Ben and it was pretty cool that I got to meet Ben this year," Noah Willard of Darlinton said.

Coach Tomlin, who brought his own 8- and 9-year-old sons to the camp, told KDKA that he fully expects the QB to be back at the helm next year. "That is our full intention, absolutely. In the meanwhile, I get to babysit it and that's fun also. I might be back next year, too!"

Roethlisberger said he enjoyed his time at the camp today -- making it clear that it's his intention to be back next year as well.

"I'm having a blast... I'm sweating more than most of these kids, running around, and I'm dying out here; but if they have fun, I'm having fun!"

So you think the chump who wrote the other story will have something to say about this? I'll wager something like, "Nice touch, but not enough" or some such nonsense.

kiwi_sarah
06-23-2010, 08:21 PM
So you think the chump who wrote the other story will have something to say about this? I'll wager something like, "Nice touch, but not enough" or some such nonsense.

right! Damned if he does...

RuthlessBurgher
06-23-2010, 11:24 PM

I'll be waiting for the "what the hell was he doing out there goofing around with kids? He could have broken his arm like Steve Smith" angle. :wink:

fordfixer
06-23-2010, 11:42 PM

She wasn't alone.

:tt1 :tt1

skyhawk
06-24-2010, 01:52 AM

Crash,

I heard about that Payton incident. Any news articles backing it up online??

skyhawk.

skyhawk
06-24-2010, 01:55 AM
[quote]Roethlisberger Surprises Kids At Camp Tomlin

She wasn't alone.

So you think the chump who wrote the other story will have something to say about this? I'll wager something like, "Nice touch, but not enough" or some such nonsense.[/quote:2babjios]

Exactly. I guess he missed this part :roll:

Oviedo
06-24-2010, 07:38 AM
Ben showed up at the camp yesterday with James Harrison and talked to the kids. Because it was unannounced there was no media frenzy and it was about the kids. I guess the media and Ben-haters need to find something new to attack him over.

fordfixer
06-24-2010, 07:50 AM
I'm sure they will

ikestops85
06-24-2010, 11:31 AM

Crash,

I heard about that Payton incident. Any news articles backing it up online??

skyhawk.

There seem to be many articles on it. Here is one

Manning Sexual Assault Saga (http://www.pressboxonline.com/story.cfm?ID=1451)