PDA

View Full Version : Polamalu Wants Steelers To Return To Grind-It-Out Style

SteelCrazy
06-17-2010, 08:34 PM
Five-time Pro Bowl safety Troy Polamalu(notes) says the Steelers lost their way last season and must again build game plans around running the ball, making big plays on defense and winning the field-position battle on special teams.

"We have a pretty good formula here how to win," Polamalu told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "That doesnít change from year to year or from decade to decade. Weíve had our formula here and itís been good to us.

"I think itís unique, no question. Especially in todayís game. People donít think that you can, for the most part, have a really smothering defense. But, with the smothering defense, you canít have a pass-happy offense. For example, you would think you could take a great defense and mesh them together, but our defense would not work well with a New England Patriots offense or Indianapolis Colts offense. They may put up a lot of points, but it takes a lot more energy to play our defense than a Tampa 2-type defense."

In other words, Polamalu says the team should stop throwing the ball so often. Last year, the offense ranked seventh in the NFL in passing but 19th in rushing.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=t ... ntssteeler (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=tsn-polamaluwantssteeler)

kiwi_sarah
06-17-2010, 08:42 PM
Amen.

fordfixer
06-17-2010, 09:31 PM
:tt1 :tt1 :tt1

Crash
06-17-2010, 09:51 PM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......

How about Troy worry about his five game season and get healthy?

And how the Steelers win games is simple: Pass early, run late.

But when the defense sucks ass in the 4th quarter, what does he want them to do? Run the ball, lose, and go home?

Field position battle? What team did he watch last season?

Go look at the drives the defense gave up in KC, Baltimore, and the Raiders twice.

They weren't short fields Mr. Polamalu.

Flasteel
06-17-2010, 09:55 PM
I essentially agree with Polamalu, but we have to remember that Ben Roethlisberger is also a weapon that needs to be utilized. As long as that guy is our quarterback, we should on average be throwing the ball more than running it.

I'm thinking more along the lines of a 55-45 ratio, if not a little more even (we were 58-42 last season). However, it's not about the percentage as much as it is about the commitment and the play calling. We have to get back to the mentality that we can line up and get three yards every time we need it. Go to the run early and often, then light their asses up with play action. Mix in the no-huddle during the second and third quarters, then be able to grind it out with the lead. That's a formula I can get behind.

Crash
06-17-2010, 10:00 PM
I'm thinking more along the lines of a 55-45 ratio, if not a little more even (we were 58-42 last season)

And what were they in the fourth quarter? I would think it was even HIGHER.

Crash
06-17-2010, 10:19 PM
By the way can someone please inform Mr. Polamalu the Steelers were #3 in TOP last season, a mere 17 seconds less per game behind the league leader?

Thanks.

feltdizz
06-17-2010, 10:31 PM
Troy sounds like he thinks Bettis is still on the team. The only one running all over the field on D is Troy. All our DB's play 10 yards off the ball... I don't understand what swarm and energy he is talking about. We play the run well so it's not like we are getting pounded.

I really am struggling to understand the physical demands our D has over other D's... Mentally we are draining..... but physically? We sure have a lot of old guys starting on D, maybe Troy is trying to say age is a factor?

Crash
06-17-2010, 10:35 PM
I wonder what Troy thought of the offense when they bailed the defense out in the 4th quarter of SB XLIII?

Getting a tad fed up with defensive players on this team not taking responsibility for their poor play.

AkronSteel
06-17-2010, 10:36 PM
By the way can someone please inform Mr. Polamalu the Steelers were #3 in TOP last season, a mere 17 seconds less per game behind the league leader?

Thanks.

We were high in TOP and we did give up late leads in the 4th quarter but it sure didn't help that we gave up a kick return for a touchdown for what seemed like every week, either!!! I agree though Crash....Troy needs to worry about keeping himself on the field and making sure that secondary doesn't get burnt like toast and let the O do their thing. Our O was good enough last year to win it all.....in my opinion!!!

stlrz d
06-17-2010, 11:35 PM
Yeah...Troy should stop getting freak injuries caused by 300lb tight ends falling on his leg!!!

And anyone who has even the most basic understanding of football can see that our D is much more active than the Tampa 2. Just watch the games for God's sake...you can't miss it.

BradshawsHairdresser
06-18-2010, 01:23 AM
I don't think we need to remake the entire offense when we have a great passing attack and are near the top of the league in TOP. We just need to be able to pick up short yardage at times with our running attack. That's all. And I think you'll see some improvement in that area.

I've said it before, but I'm much more concerned about our defense than our offense.
I'm not one that believes that having Troy back (Smith too) will be the cure-all that many of you think it will be. We need us some infusion of YOUTHFUL talent (bringing back BMac and Foote isn't what I'm talking about).

hawaiiansteel
06-18-2010, 01:24 AM
Troy makes some good points.

Get back to the basics, run the ball more effectively, play sound defense and the wins should follow. :tt2

Crash
06-18-2010, 01:31 AM
He's talking about pass happy offenses. We aren't pass happy.

Pass early, run late.

That's what we do.

But players like Troy need to grasp the concept that when that's not working guess what? You will have to throw the ball in the 4th quarter.

I'm so sick of media, fans, and now defensive players being more concerned with HOW we win, rather than just winning period. It would also be nice if defensive players like Troy would take responsibility for their poor play at times rather than point fingers at their offensive teammates.

BURGH86STEEL
06-18-2010, 05:52 AM

Pass early, run late.

That's what we do.

But players like Troy need to grasp the concept that when that's not working guess what? You will have to throw the ball in the 4th quarter.

I'm so sick of media, fans, and now defensive players being more concerned with HOW we win, rather than just winning period. It would also be nice if defensive players like Troy would take responsibility for their poor play at times rather than point fingers at their offensive teammates.

I agree, they need to do whatever it takes to win. Offense, defense, and special teams need to step up and make plays when necessary.

stlrz d
06-18-2010, 07:58 AM

Get back to the basics, run the ball more effectively, play sound defense and the wins should follow. :tt2

That's all he's saying. That the units need to work together. If the O controls the ball more, the D can rest more and be more effective when they're on the field...which should lead to them getting more opportunities for the O.

Pretty simple formula, really.

SteelAbility
06-18-2010, 08:32 AM

Thanks.

A statistic manipulated by our very poor STs play, giving either outright TDs (6 or so of them) or very short fields for the opposing O.

SteelAbility
06-18-2010, 08:34 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......

How about Troy worry about his five game season and get healthy?

And how the Steelers win games is simple: Pass early, run late.

But when the defense sucks bad word in the 4th quarter, what does he want them to do? Run the ball, lose, and go home?

Field position battle? What team did he watch last season?

Go look at the drives the defense gave up in KC, Baltimore, and the Raiders twice.

They weren't short fields Mr. Polamalu.

You don't think any of that had to do with Troy and A. Smith missing, do you?

ikestops85
06-18-2010, 11:32 AM

Pass early, run late.

That's what we do.

You are exactly right Crash ... let's just win. In years past we had an offensive line that could dictate to defenses that we would run the ball in the 4th quarter and they couldn't stop it. Not so with this recent edition of the O-line. We have a hard time converting 3rd and 1s let alone sustaining drives just running the ball.

If our O-line improves we can return to that type of football but until then the D has to be able to get off the field and we have to rely on Ben and our offensive skill players to make big plays.

Crash
06-18-2010, 11:44 AM

Absolutely.

But I didn't hear Troy say that did you? He's blaming our "pass happy" offense.

cruzer8
06-18-2010, 12:48 PM

Absolutely.

Where did he use the words "blame" or "fault"?

SteelAbility
06-18-2010, 12:48 PM

Absolutely.

Troy is saying that LeBeau's D requires more effort than standard D. So, he isn't blaming OUR pass-happy offense, he is saying that pass-happy doesn't mesh well with OUR D. He even mentioned that he doesn't think it would work well with an O like NE's. I don't have a problem with that.

Now, where I can fault him is on the assumption that the O should adjust for the D, and not vice-versa. It's a two-edged sword. If a team is going to insist that the O adjust to the D (or insist on the opposite) ALL THE TIME, then they are sacrificing best result. The truth is that a mix of the two, guided by week to week situation, is much more optimal.

feltdizz
06-18-2010, 12:56 PM

That's all he's saying. That the units need to work together. If the O controls the ball more, the D can rest more and be more effective when they're on the field...which should lead to them getting more opportunities for the O.

Pretty simple formula, really.

how many INT's did Ike, Clark, Gay and Townsend have in the first half of games last year when they were fresh? I don't buy it...

As soon as Troy got hurt Tennessee marched down the field on 4 plays... it's not the O's fault. The DB's stunk last year.

Crash
06-18-2010, 01:14 PM
Troy got what he wanted against Baltimore on the road. No Ben, a heavy dose of Mendenhall.

What happened?

The defense gave up 17 yards on 3rd and 22 and then gave up a big chunk on 4th and 5 which cost them the game.

He should remember that.

And, if we need the offense to chug it out, and keep the defense off the field? We have entirely too much money invested in an overrated defense.

cruzer8
06-18-2010, 01:26 PM

Absolutely.

Troy is saying that LeBeau's D requires more effort than standard D. So, he isn't blaming OUR pass-happy offense, he is saying that pass-happy doesn't mesh well with OUR D. He even mentioned that he doesn't think it would work well with an O like NE's. I don't have a problem with that.

Correct. And not having Troy and Smith for most of the season only exacerbated the problem. All he's saying is that an offense that can control the clock allows our defense to be more of a smothering defense.

Talk to any football coach at any level and they'll tell you the O should always be on the field more than the D. The job of the D is to get the ball back for the O as quickly as possible. Offense controls the clock. Defense gives the offense the opportunity to control the clock.

Crash
06-18-2010, 01:39 PM
Our defense sucked on 3rd downs.

Our defense gave up entirely too many scores right after we would score.

That has nothing to do with our offense.

feltdizz
06-18-2010, 02:58 PM

:Agree

ikestops85
06-18-2010, 04:01 PM

I agree but special teams also entered into the equation. Even the times the kickoff team didn't allow a TD it seems the opponent started outside it's own 30 or even 40.

I think that had to be very demoralizing. The players would be all up and then the opponent would run the kickoff right down our throats. This doesn't mean I give our D a pass but they had help giving up all of those points last year.

feltdizz
06-18-2010, 05:14 PM

I agree but special teams also entered into the equation. Even the times the kickoff team didn't allow a TD it seems the opponent started outside it's own 30 or even 40.

I think that had to be very demoralizing. The players would be all up and then the opponent would run the kickoff right down our throats. This doesn't mean I give our D a pass but they had help giving up all of those points last year.

regardless of the special teams...

Raiders, Packers, Bungles, Bears and Dolphins ALL exploited the DB's at will when the game was on the line.

The D was pitiful. Begging for the O to keep the D from seeing the field because they can't be counted on due to Lebeau's scheme is pretty scary.

steelz09
06-18-2010, 06:21 PM
I think we are over analyzing Troy's comments...

The O should control the clock more but I don't think we should play to our offensive weakness either. With that being said, there is no excuse for our o-line to get dominated on 3rd and 1's which we constantly struggled with. That in itself would keep the D fresh.

On the other side, our D was absolute garbage without Troy.

The entire secondary including Clark did not look like NFL starters.

William Gay looked completely out of his league as a starting CB.

Our run defense struggled especially inside runs, probably due to the loss of Aaron Smith. Although, I do think his replacements (by committee) did a decent job.

Farrior probably had his worst year in recent memory.

Harrison completely dropped off when we needed him to step up.

I really think the defense doesn't have that 'superstar' leader. I truly believe Clark (whom isn't a superstar) and Woodley are those guys. I get the sense that Woodley will continue to grow into that leader mold as he's more outspoken then the rest of the group. Harrison definitely is NOT that type of guy.

Last year is where the Steelers defense really missed a "Porter", "Lloyd" type of character. And let's face it, the Steelers always had one of those "types". The type of player that will pull the team together in tough times and speak out that their play is unacceptable. And that they need to 'step it up'. A Porter / Lloyd wouldn't have allowed that defensive collapse to happen. They would have rallied the group, increased the intensity and pull it together. I'd hate to say it.. but last year the Steelers needed that type of player & personality and no one stepped up. I really believe Woodley has the potential to grow into that type of roll. He has the production and the personality.

AngryAsian
06-18-2010, 06:40 PM

Absolutely.

Maybe you're reading a snippet of an entire interview and once again a media-bobble head is spinning a story out of a small piece of a possible longer retort to various questions. As for reading "blame" into it, I read it as someone asking him how he feels about his "opinion" of the offense. I read it as "the Steelers lost their way last season" as losing their signature smash mouth identity. I didn't see it as pointing the finger of blame at any direction.

I think if anybody on the defensive side of the ball can have an opinion about the team, regardless of what side of the ball it is, it is our 5-time (in 7 years) Pro Bowl, 2 time First Team All Pro strong safety.

Crash
06-18-2010, 08:39 PM
And that identity is a joke.

Pass early, run late.

THAT is our identity.

And has been since Ben got here.

People need to quit worrying about our image and just worry about winning.

Troy Polamalu included.

RuthlessBurgher
06-19-2010, 02:50 PM
I think we are over analyzing Troy's comments...

The O should control the clock more but I don't think we should play to our offensive weakness either. With that being said, there is no excuse for our o-line to get dominated on 3rd and 1's which we constantly struggled with. That in itself would keep the D fresh.

On the other side, our D was absolute garbage without Troy.

The entire secondary including Clark did not look like NFL starters.

William Gay looked completely out of his league as a starting CB.

Our run defense struggled especially inside runs, probably due to the loss of Aaron Smith. Although, I do think his replacements (by committee) did a decent job.

Farrior probably had his worst year in recent memory.

Harrison completely dropped off when we needed him to step up.

I really think the defense doesn't have that 'superstar' leader. I truly believe Clark (whom isn't a superstar) and Woodley are those guys. I get the sense that Woodley will continue to grow into that leader mold as he's more outspoken then the rest of the group. Harrison definitely is NOT that type of guy.

Last year is where the Steelers defense really missed a "Porter", "Lloyd" type of character. And let's face it, the Steelers always had one of those "types". The type of player that will pull the team together in tough times and speak out that their play is unacceptable. And that they need to 'step it up'. A Porter / Lloyd wouldn't have allowed that defensive collapse to happen. They would have rallied the group, increased the intensity and pull it together. I'd hate to say it.. but last year the Steelers needed that type of player & personality and no one stepped up. I really believe Woodley has the potential to grow into that type of roll. He has the production and the personality.

Lloyd was not a vocal leader like Porter was. In fact, Lloyd's personality was quite similar to Harrison's. They both were quite intense, but they lead more by example than anything. Most of the time, Lloyd stood by himself on the sideline, far away from everyone else. Only rarely did he speak up to his teammates in the manner that Porter did quite often.

By the way, I do not necessarily think that a vocal Porter type is required. Getting back two of quietest, most humble guys in Polamalu and Smith is much more important.