PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben's refusal to quit drinking could be a big mistake

hawaiiansteel
06-16-2010, 01:43 AM
Big Ben's refusal to quit drinking could be a big mistake

Posted by Mike Florio on June 12, 2010

http://cdn.photos.tmz.com/gallery_images/images/2009/07/INFphoto_881173_full.jpg

Earlier this week, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger began the long, difficult process of reconnecting with Pittsburgh fans by making one important but unexpected step -- giving access to the Pittsburgh media. Closer review of the contents of Roethlisberger's interview illustrates the risk of talking publicly prior to the league office's proclamation of final judgment as to whether his six-game suspension will be reduced, or expanded.

Specifically, after everything he has endured over the past year, Roethlisberger is not yet prepared to swear off drinking alcohol.

"Moving forward you have to make sure you make right decisions, and that right decision is going to have to be something I'll have to make when the situation presents itself, how the situation presents itself," Roethlisberger said during his recent interview. "You can't stop living, but you gotta live smarter."

Though we're not privy to the specific restrictions that the league has placed on Roethlisberger, it's fairly safe to assume that the NFL hasn't issued a "thou shalt not" mandate regarding beer and other boozes. (Then again, that would require an assumption that Roethlisberger isn't a complete and total idiot, an assumption that many may not regard as safe.)

Even if the league has imposed no alcohol ban on Big Ben, he can't dispute that he has shown bad judgment, or that alcohol impairs judgment -- especially the ability to judge whether or not more alcohol should be consumed. So why would he entrust himself to "make right decisions" after drinking something that tends to impede that process?

If he truly intends to make a commitment to steer clear of any and all trouble, he'd avoid consuming anything that could lead him directly toward it. The fact that he doesn't get that makes us wonder whether he still doesn't "get it."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...a-big-mistake/

Crash
06-16-2010, 01:49 AM
Ben never said that. Florio once again is reaching for web hits.

All he said was he doesn't have a booze problem.

And part of the NFL's evaluation by their experts, would be to determine if he did.

And if they thought he did? They would forbid him to drink and treat him the same way they treat players who are substance abuse violators. He tests positive for booze? Done.

So for him to say that? I would assume the NFL agrees. Because if they did he wouldn't have answered it.

stlrz d
06-16-2010, 07:43 AM
Florio is a douchebag.

Steelers>NFL
06-16-2010, 08:41 AM

And part of the NFL's evaluation by their experts, would be to determine if he did.

And if they thought he did? They would forbid him to drink and treat him the same way they treat players who are substance abuse violators. He tests positive for booze? Done.

So for him to say that? I would assume the NFL agrees. Because if they did he wouldn't have answered it.

He may not (we the fans do not know one way or the other) have a booze problem,
but maybe he can not handle too much booze. Hence, reason for making mistakes.

RuthlessBurgher
06-16-2010, 10:05 AM
How in the world would it be legal for the league to impose a no alcohol ban on a player? Isn't Florio a lawyer?

ikestops85
06-16-2010, 10:14 AM
How in the world would it be legal for the league to impose a no alcohol ban on a player? Isn't Florio a lawyer?

I'm not sure how the league gets away with a lot of things but I believe Favre was prohibited from drinking alcohol.

cruzer8
06-16-2010, 10:27 AM

He may not (we the fans do not know one way or the other) have a booze problem,
but maybe he can not handle too much booze. Hence, reason for making mistakes.

Some who were there say he was boozing it up. Others say he was only nursing a beer.

It's human nature to assume that because he was in a bar that alcohol was a factor. The truth is that no one knows for sure.

siss
06-16-2010, 12:17 PM
Or maybe its simply non of our business. Ben also said that it runs in the family. Did it occur to anyone that perhaps Ben's biggest issue is his love to party?

Shawn
06-16-2010, 12:24 PM

Yeah I wonder how the NFL came to those conclusions. I don't know if Ben is an alcoholic or not. But, I suspect that he very well could be in the early stages of alcoholism. I do believe some of the reports of Ben exposing himself and being sexually inappropriate while intoxicated support that notion. And generally, when someone without a drinking problem is confronted with the possibility that they might have an issue, have seen some negative results from the alcohol they easily put it down without much resistance. Most alcoholics are not living under a bridge...many don't drink everyday...etc. There are so many stereotypes that are just plain inaccurate. If Ben binge drinks and has negative consequences as a result then that goes a long way to support the diagnosis of alcoholism.

This might be the first and last time I agree with Florio but it would have been best to get Ben treated for alcohol abuse and placed in the substance abuse program. The problem? The NFL has been notoriously lax in it's views on alcohol.

Shawn
06-16-2010, 12:30 PM

It's very legal. The NFL as an independent organization has a right to ask it's participants to abstain from substance that could effect their play and on/off the field behavior. Don't players in the substance abuse program have to abstain from alcohol as well? If you work for Honda and you go out and get a DUI they are well within their right to ask you to get evaluated for alcoholism. If that evaluation reveals the fact that the person does indeed have alcoholism that company can mandate a no drinking policy for that individual. If the employee doesn't like it...they can look for work elsewhere. I can't see why this would be any different.

MeetJoeGreene
06-16-2010, 12:37 PM
Do you know how much Flori suck? So much that there aren't even many good anagrams of his name. The best one I could find proves he is on drugs:

Emir Of Kilo

Some other lame ones:

Rookie Film
File Irk Moo
File Mi Rook
Life Irk Moo
Life Mi Rook
Fire Ilk Moo
Fire Kilo Om
Fire Mi Look
Rife Ilk Moo
Rife Kilo Om
Rife Mi Look
Foe Kilo Rim
Foe Irk Limo
Like If Room
Like If Moor
Like Fir Moo
Like Roof Mi
Liker If Moo
Mike Foil Or
Mike Floor I
Mike Of Roil
Mike Fro Oil
Mike For Oil
Mile If Rook
Lime If Rook
Moire Folk I
Moire Of Ilk
Mire If Look
Mire Of Kilo
Emir If Look
Emir Of Kilo
Rime If Look
Rime Of Kilo
Looker If Mi
Em Folio Irk
Me Folio Irk
Romeo If Ilk
More If Kilo

feltdizz
06-16-2010, 12:44 PM
Or maybe its simply non of our business. Ben also said that it runs in the family. Did it occur to anyone that perhaps Ben's biggest issue is his love to party?

if he stayed out of "trouble/news headlines" it wouldn't be anyones business...

I've said it before and I'll say it again... if Ben is doing these things sober then we have a full blown wild child on our hands.

Shawn
06-16-2010, 12:56 PM

if he stayed out of "trouble/news headlines" it wouldn't be anyones business...

I've said it before and I'll say it again... if Ben is doing these things sober then we have a full blown wild child on our hands.

I agree...and highly suspect alcohol is a factor. One of the criteria for alcoholism is negative consequences to drinking.

cruzer8
06-16-2010, 01:18 PM
I'm not at all surprised to see that people who either admit they have problems with alcohol or who have alcoholics in the family are quick to assume that Ben has an issue with alcohol.

That seems to be a trend. Addicts almost always assume someone else is an addict too.

Shawn
06-16-2010, 01:21 PM
I'm not at all surprised to see that people who either admit they have problems with alcohol or who have alcoholics in the family are quick to assume that Ben has an issue with alcohol.

That seems to be a trend. Addicts almost always assume someone else is an addict too.

I also find a trend that those who drink minimize the effects of alcohol, symptoms of alcoholism etc. It's a human tendency to evaluate through our own filters. With that said, the things I have stated can be seen in any medical book on addiction. And for the record I stick with the statistics. 1 in 10 of us will develop a clinical diagnosis of addiction. That number is shaded down due to reporting and recognition issues. Our ability to see trends and symptoms in recent years has improved significantly due to education. Your last statement is mostly incorrect. I don't know many addicts or alcoholics who see addiction in everyone they run into. But, they are more aware of the symptoms than the general public.

cruzer8
06-16-2010, 01:31 PM

I also find a trend that those who drink minimize the effects of alcohol, symptoms of alcoholism etc. It's a human tendency to evaluate through our own filters. With that said, the things I have stated can be seen in any medical book on addiction. And for the record I stick with the statistics. 1 in 10 of us will develop a clinical diagnosis of addiction. That number is shaded down due to reporting and recognition issues. Our ability to see trends and symptoms in recent years has improved significantly due to education. Your last statement is mostly incorrect. I don't many addicts or alcoholics who see addiction in everyone they run into. But, they are more aware of the symptoms than the general public.

I'm just making an observation based on what I've seen in my life and that trend seems to hold true here as well.

I don't drink or do any drugs. Never have. I don't even take any prescription medications. So there's no filtering on my part.

Shawn
06-16-2010, 01:36 PM
From the mayoclinic site on alcoholism one of the main symptoms of alcohol abuse is...

Having legal problems or problems with relationships, employment or finances due to drinking

This alone is reason to get an evaluation.

RuthlessBurgher
06-16-2010, 01:37 PM
I don't drink at all. Never had any desire to drink or smoke or do any drugs other than Tylenol and the like. The whole concept of getting drunk or high just seemed dumb to me and I didn't want to be a part of it, even though I understood that I was in a miniscule minority in high school, college, and even today. I prefer to keep my wits about me, and if I want a brief escape from some of the dredgeries of everyday life, I can watch a movie, play a game, do something athletic, etc. That works for me. Therefore, I don't have much of a frame of reference to comment on the effects of alcohol, since I never experienced it myself.

That being said, my opinion is that alcohol almost certainly played a significant role in whatever happened in Millegeville that night. But I have no reason to believe that Ben, the girl, or anyone else there is an alcoholic, just because there were some negative consequences that evening.

Shawn
06-16-2010, 01:39 PM

I also find a trend that those who drink minimize the effects of alcohol, symptoms of alcoholism etc. It's a human tendency to evaluate through our own filters. With that said, the things I have stated can be seen in any medical book on addiction. And for the record I stick with the statistics. 1 in 10 of us will develop a clinical diagnosis of addiction. That number is shaded down due to reporting and recognition issues. Our ability to see trends and symptoms in recent years has improved significantly due to education. Your last statement is mostly incorrect. I don't many addicts or alcoholics who see addiction in everyone they run into. But, they are more aware of the symptoms than the general public.

I'm just making an observation based on what I've seen in my life and that trend seems to hold true here as well.

I don't drink or do any drugs. Never have. I don't even take any prescription medications. So there's no filtering on my part.

Gotcha. Well, your statement is an overgeneralization not based on fact. Many times early alcoholics long to "drink like normal people". That in itself shows that many alcoholics recognize the difference in normal and abnormal consumption of alcohol.

Shawn
06-16-2010, 01:43 PM
I don't drink at all. Never had any desire to drink or smoke or do any drugs other than Tylenol and the like. The whole concept of getting drunk or high just seemed dumb to me and I didn't want to be a part of it, even though I understood that I was in a miniscule minority in high school, college, and even today. I prefer to keep my wits about me, and if I want a brief escape from some of the dredgeries of everyday life, I can watch a movie, play a game, do something athletic, etc. That works for me. Therefore, I don't have much of a frame of reference to comment on the effects of alcohol, since I never experienced it myself.

That being said, my opinion is that alcohol almost certainly played a significant role in whatever happened in Millegeville that night. But I have no reason to believe that Ben, the girl, or anyone else there is an alcoholic, just because there were some negative consequences that evening.

Fair enough...but the fact that alcohol likely played a role supports the notion of alcohol abuse at the very least. I know a professional white collar recovering alcoholic who only drank 1-2 times a month. But, many times when he drank he got himself into fights or legal troubles. He was diagnosed by some of the best minds in addiction with alcoholism.

RuthlessBurgher
06-16-2010, 01:58 PM

Fair enough...but the fact that alcohol likely played a role supports the notion of alcohol abuse at the very least. I know a professional white collar recovering alcoholic who only drank 1-2 times a month. But, many times when he drank he got himself into fights or legal troubles. He was diagnosed by some of the best minds in addiction with alcoholism.

I could see that, but none of Ben's previous offseason issues were alcohol related. Biking without a helmet was profoundly stupid, but no alcohol was involved in that accident. In Tahoe, he was a horndog with questionable taste, but again, no reports of anything alcohol related there. We just have this latest incident that occurred in a bar where alcohol was being served and both Ben and the underaged girl were partaking at the time. I think there needs to be some sort of longitudinal evidence (like with the white collar professional you mentioned who only drank once or twice a month but tended to get into fights or other legal trouble on those occassions) before we could even consider alcoholism as a possibility.

Shawn
06-16-2010, 03:03 PM

I could see that, but none of Ben's previous offseason issues were alcohol related. Biking without a helmet was profoundly stupid, but no alcohol was involved in that accident. In Tahoe, he was a horndog with questionable taste, but again, no reports of anything alcohol related there. We just have this latest incident that occurred in a bar where alcohol was being served and both Ben and the underaged girl were partaking at the time. I think there needs to be some sort of longitudinal evidence (like with the white collar professional you mentioned who only drank once or twice a month but tended to get into fights or other legal trouble on those occassions) before we could even consider alcoholism as a possibility.

I'm not saying getting drunk means you are an alcoholic. But, we have seen multiple pics of Ben drool on himself drunk...or at least he appears so in the pics. We now have an incident where alcohol was involved in some legal issues. If this is an isolated case...I agree with you. Keep an eye on him. But, something tells me that at his home when he allegedly pulled out his penis for a girl...he was drunk that time as well. Maybe Ben isn't an alcoholic...but because of the head injury he has less ability to handle his alcohol.

RuthlessBurgher
06-16-2010, 03:11 PM

I'm not saying getting drunk means you are an alcoholic. But, we have seen multiple pics of Ben drool on himself drunk...or at least he appears so in the pics. We now have an incident where alcohol was involved in some legal issues. If this is an isolated case...I agree with you. Keep an eye on him. But, something tells me that at his home when he allegedly pulled out his penis for a girl...he was drunk that time as well. Maybe Ben isn't an alcoholic...but because of the head injury he has less ability to handle his alcohol.

I'm not a doctor and you are, so I'll defer to your expertise here, but I must admit that this is the first that I have ever heard of such a possibility.

Shawn
06-16-2010, 04:21 PM

I'm not a doctor and you are, so I'll defer to your expertise here, but I must admit that this is the first that I have ever heard of such a possibility.

Head injuries especially frontal lobe injuries can significantly decrease inhibitions. Alcohol can do this as well. If you are predisposed towards some mild impulse control issues after a frontal lobe injury...alcohol can certainly exacerbate that.

frankthetank1
06-16-2010, 04:28 PM
no one knows how much ben drinks so why speculate? no one knows him personally. there are a ton of pics out there of athletes wasted that doesnt mean they all have drinking problems. you can like to drink a lot and not have a drinking problem.

RuthlessBurgher
06-16-2010, 04:30 PM
no one knows how much ben drinks so why speculate? no one knows him personally. there are a ton of pics out there of athletes wasted that doesnt mean they all have drinking problems. you can like to drink a lot and not have a drinking problem.

Says Frank the Tank :lol:

http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/16035__oldschool_l.jpg http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/080929/Nude-Scenes/Will-Ferrell-Frank-Old-School_l.jpg

cruzer8
06-16-2010, 04:33 PM
Thanks for bringing the logic, Ruthless. Too many times addicts are quick to label others as addicts. Guess it makes them feel better about themselves or something.

Shawn
06-16-2010, 04:44 PM

I would think many people knows about how much Ben drinks. It's relevant because if he does have a problem this won't be his last issue.

Shawn
06-16-2010, 04:45 PM
Thanks for bringing the logic, Ruthless. Too many times addicts are quick to label others as addicts. Guess it makes them feel better about themselves or something.

There is no need to be insulting.

Shawn
06-16-2010, 04:45 PM

Says Frank the Tank :lol:

http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/16035__oldschool_l.jpg http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/080929/Nude-Scenes/Will-Ferrell-Frank-Old-School_l.jpg

You're on a roll. :lol:

flippy
06-16-2010, 04:46 PM

i can tell how much ben drinks by the picture of mcnutty. :D

2 points re: RB and Shawn's discussion

1. They drink like fish on the Real World and everyone pulls out their junk on that show. Too much alcohol leads to junk popping out. We've all seen it in the frat house.

2. I watch Dr Drew's addiction show on VH1. He's one of the foremost experts on addiction in the country. and he says if there's repeated negative consequences when you drink (even if you drink infrequently - just weekends, once a month, at parties with friends, whenever), then you're an addict.

flippy
06-16-2010, 04:51 PM
Too many times addicts are quick to label others as addicts.

We're all addicted to something.

Just because the consensus of the world looks down on certain addictions doesn't make them worse addictions than the addictions of those who don't realize what they're addicted to.

flippy
06-16-2010, 04:56 PM
Guess it makes them feel better about themselves or something.

Did posting that make you feel better about yourself?

The answer to that probably clears up your guess.

Shawn
06-16-2010, 05:14 PM

i can tell how much ben drinks by the picture of mcnutty. :D

2 points re: RB and Shawn's discussion

1. They drink like fish on the Real World and everyone pulls out their junk on that show. Too much alcohol leads to junk popping out. We've all seen it in the frat house.

2. I watch Dr Drew's addiction show on VH1. He's one of the foremost experts on addiction in the country. and he says if there's repeated negative consequences when you drink (even if you drink infrequently - just weekends, once a month, at parties with friends, whenever), then you're an addict.

$$$

feltdizz
06-16-2010, 07:39 PM
Guess it makes them feel better about themselves or something.

Did posting that make you feel better about yourself?

The answer to that probably clears up your guess.

:Bow

SanAntonioSteelerFan
06-16-2010, 07:47 PM
Can someone be addicted to Planet Steelers posting? :?

siss
06-16-2010, 08:30 PM
Can someone be addicted to Planet Steelers posting? :?
I hear there is a 12 step program for it as well.

stlrz d
06-17-2010, 12:15 AM

I'm not sure how the league gets away with a lot of things but I believe Favre was prohibited from drinking alcohol.

But it didn't stop him. My former manager at the newspaper here in GB had a part time bartending gig at one of Favre's hangouts. They used to fill a Pepsi can with Miller Lite for him. That way it looked like he wasn't drinking...but he still was.

As Ruthlessburgher pointed out, there has been one incident that we know of (the most recent one) where alcohol may have been a factor.

Non issue.

flippy
06-17-2010, 08:02 AM

But it didn't stop him. My former manager at the newspaper here in GB had a part time bartending gig at one of Favre's hangouts. They used to fill a Pepsi can with Miller Lite for him. That way it looked like he wasn't drinking...but he still was.

As Ruthlessburgher pointed out, there has been one incident that we know of (the most recent one) where alcohol may have been a factor.

Non issue.

You can't prohibit Bret from doing whatever he wants - take steroids for example.

feltdizz
06-17-2010, 09:41 AM

But it didn't stop him. My former manager at the newspaper here in GB had a part time bartending gig at one of Favre's hangouts. They used to fill a Pepsi can with Miller Lite for him. That way it looked like he wasn't drinking...but he still was.As Ruthlessburgher pointed out, there has been one incident that we know of (the most recent one) where alcohol may have been a factor.

Non issue.

hmmm?

steelblood
06-17-2010, 12:18 PM

I''m not sure how you can find that alcohol had no role in the Tahoe incident. There was no tox-screen. There was no investigation. Now, the accuser isn't claiming he acted drunk, so I assume he wasn't. But, he certainly could have been drinking prior to the incident. I'm not saying he was, but he could have been. Many guys drink after golfing.

RuthlessBurgher
06-17-2010, 12:41 PM

I''m not sure how you can find that alcohol had no role in the Tahoe incident. There was no tox-screen. There was no investigation. Now, the accuser isn't claiming he acted drunk, so I assume he wasn't. But, he certainly could have been drinking prior to the incident. I'm not saying he was, but he could have been. Many guys drink after golfing.

I didn't "find that alcohol had no role in the Tahoe incident." I said that there were "no reports of anything alcohol related there," which seem to agree with ("Now, the accuser isn't claiming he acted drunk, so I assume he wasn't").

flippy
06-17-2010, 12:43 PM

I didn't "find that alcohol had no role in the Tahoe incident." I said that there were "no reports of anything alcohol related there," which seem to agree with ("Now, the accuser isn't claiming he acted drunk, so I assume he wasn't").

Have you guys seen her?

hawaiiansteel
06-17-2010, 02:55 PM
Have you guys seen her?

here are some photos of McNutty, looks like Ben was either drunk or just doesn't have very high standards...

http://www.televisioninternet.com/news/pictures/Andrea-McNulty-1.jpghttp://www.televisioninternet.com/news/pictures/Andrea-McNulty-2.jpghttp://www.televisioninternet.com/news/pictures/Andrea-McNulty-3.jpghttp://www.televisioninternet.com/news/pictures/Andrea-McNulty-4.jpghttp://www.televisioninternet.com/news/pictures/Andrea-McNulty-6.jpghttp://www.televisioninternet.com/news/pictures/Andrea-McNulty-7.jpg

flippy
06-17-2010, 02:59 PM
Have you guys seen her?

here are some photos of McNutty, looks like Ben was either drunk or just doesn't have very high standards...

http://www.televisioninternet.com/news/pictures/Andrea-McNulty-1.jpghttp://www.televisioninternet.com/news/pictures/Andrea-McNulty-2.jpghttp://www.televisioninternet.com/news/pictures/Andrea-McNulty-3.jpghttp://www.televisioninternet.com/news/pictures/Andrea-McNulty-4.jpghttp://www.televisioninternet.com/news/pictures/Andrea-McNulty-6.jpghttp://www.televisioninternet.com/news/pictures/Andrea-McNulty-7.jpg

Low standards are for poor guys.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
06-17-2010, 03:04 PM
Would it be wrong to say that these photos are proof enough that he had been drinking? :Boobs

RuthlessBurgher
06-17-2010, 03:06 PM
Low standards are for poor guys.

Ben has low standards for his own appearance sometimes.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201004/mh_roethlisberger_01_500.jpghttp://media.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/photo/roethlisberger-goodelljpg-8f0dfe9be85f4736_medium.jpg

http://mutantpoodle.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/ben-roethlisberger-red.jpghttp://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2010/04/18/amd_steelers_roethlisberger.jpghttp://images.dailyradar.com/media/uploads/ballhype/story_preview/2010/04/13/ben_roethlisbergers_apology_infinitely_more_effect .png

ikestops85
06-17-2010, 03:16 PM

I would think many people knows about how much Ben drinks. It's relevant because if he does have a problem this won't be his last issue.

I'm sure there are many people who know how much Ben drinks ... I don't think any of them post on this message board. Ben's hormones have as much to do with his stupid decisions as the alcohol does. Maybe he is a sex addict ... maybe he is an alcoholic ... maybe he isn't the brightest bulb in the pack or maybe he is the unluckiest guy in the world when it comes to hooking up for one night stands.

We can speculate all we want but I doubt any of us will ever know. I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt so I go with the "Ben isn't that smart" defense. I really don't know ... I don't even know the guy. I just root for the football team he plays on so by extension I root for him. If he plays well my team does well. GO BEN!!

hawaiiansteel
06-18-2010, 02:40 AM
Life's just a cocktail party...

Witnesses to Roethlisberger incident detail heavy drinking

Thursday, April 22, 2010
By Jonathan D. Silver, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201004/benpix0422_160.jpg

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger at practice Monday.

No. 7 was finally sacked by the one player he could not escape: himself.

Renowned on the field for being able to scramble from his opponent's clutches, Ben Roethlisberger was unable off the field to avoid the consequences of a potent mix of alcohol, women and questionable conduct.

Numerous female witnesses to Mr. Roethlisberger's night of heavy partying in Milledgeville, Ga., last month described unflattering behavior by the quarterback that included providing alcohol to underage students, calling them "bitches" and making a vulgar, sexual remark to several women.

A Georgia district attorney declined last week to prosecute Mr. Roethlisberger on allegations that he raped a 20-year-old woman inside a nightclub bathroom while bar-hopping with friends near his off-season home.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell nevertheless on Wednesday issued a provisional six-game suspension for violating the league's personal conduct policy.

He said the quarterback "contributed to the irresponsible consumption of alcohol by purchasing [or facilitating the purchase of] alcoholic beverages for underage college students, at least some of whom were likely already intoxicated."

"There is no question that the excessive consumption of alcohol that evening put the students and yourself at risk," the commissioner said in a letter to Mr. Roethlisberger outlining the suspension.

"The Personal Conduct Policy also states that discipline is appropriate for conduct that undermines or puts at risk the integrity and reputation of the NFL, NFL clubs, or NFL players. By any measure, your conduct satisfies that standard."

Mr. Roethlisberger and his friends, including Steelers tackle Willie Colon, visited a half-dozen bars March 4-5, attracting attention as soon as they hit downtown Milledgeville, home to Georgia College & State University.

Student Victoria Garofalo told the Georgia Bureau of Investigation that at one bar called The Brick she told Mr. Colon she was underage -- something confirmed by the player during his own interview.

"Colon stated that he was flirting with Garofalo until he found out that she was 19 years old," the report said.

She also said she told him that two friends -- the accuser and a woman named Ann Marie Lubatti -- who later drank at the Capital City nightclub, the site of the alleged assault, were 20.

"According to Garofalo, Roethlisberger was standing next to the group while this conversation took place. Someone else in the group, who Garofalo could not identify, stated, 'I'm 15' in a joking manner, which Roethlisberger responded [to] with a comment.

"Garofalo was not certain exactly what Roethlisberger said, however, knew that he commented on that statement. As a result, Garofalo was certain that Roethlisberger heard the conversation regarding their ages and that both he and Colon were clear on how old the girls were."

At one point Mr. Roethlisberger discussed a sexually provocative name tag the accuser was wearing that she had gotten during a birthday party earlier in the evening.

Several witnesses said the name tag prompted Mr. Roethlisberger to state crudely that he enjoys having sex with women.

At one point during the evening, a bartender at The Brick said a student and co-worker named Aliesha Scholten asked Mr. Roethlisberger if he wanted to go back to their sorority house.

"Hell no," Mr. Roethlisberger is said to have responded. "That's a lawsuit waiting to happen."

It could not be determined with certainty from reading the witness statements whether Mr. Roethlisberger personally bought or directly handed any of the underage women a drink, and students gave conflicting accounts.

Off-duty Pennsylvania State Trooper Edward J. Joyner, one of Mr. Roethlisberger's friends who also worked as an assistant, paid the tab at Capital City with $160 in cash.

A friend of the accuser, Nicole Biancofiore -- underage herself and with a fake ID -- told investigators that "she does know that Ben Roethlisberger bought her friend, [the alleged victim], drinks all night but does not know what kind of drinks they were.

"Biancofiore stated that she knows that Roethlisberger purchased drinks for many underage girls at all three bars in downtown Milledgeville."

Another underage woman, Kelly Colsson, said the quarterback bought her a drink, though he did not know she was a minor.

Even as women crowded around Mr. Roethlisberger, the quarterback's entourage -- including Trooper Joyner and off-duty Coraopolis police Officer Anthony J. Barravecchio -- tried to ensure that no one snapped photos of Mr. Roethlisberger with alcohol.

"Joyner stated that he made sure that none of the girls taking a photograph with Roethlisberger had any alcohol in the photos. He stated that alcohol in the photographs would not look good for Roethlisberger's image."

Ms. Garofalo said "the bodyguards were deleting photos from people's phones that depicted Roethlisberger drinking."

Avery Lane, a friend of Mr. Roethlisberger, also lent a hand.

"Avery Lane assisted in helping make sure that Roethlisberger was not holding any drinks in any of the photos. The group generally does that so that there are no crazy public photos floating around," according to his interview with investigators.

At Capital City, Mr. Roethlisberger and his friends took over a back room where only women were allowed to enter.

Elizabeth Brooks told investigators that Mr. Roethlisberger bought at least two rounds of shots for the women in the VIP section.

"Brooks noted that Roethlisberger asked the girls what shots they wanted him to order. When the shots arrived, girls were taking them off the bar and passing them back into the crowd," a report said.

Ms. Brooks left the area when Mr. Roethlisberger allegedly said something that offended one of her friends, Kylie Wilmer.

"This was in response to a comment that Roethlisberger made when he purchased a round of shots for the girls in the VIP room. Roethlisberger stated, 'All my bitches, take some shots,' however Brooks stated that he said it in a 'party way.'

"Wilmer became upset at the comment and stated, 'Who does he think he is' and stormed out of the VIP area."

Caitin Smith, another student, described how Mr. Roethlisberger "bought alcohol shots in mass amounts and left them on the bar for anyone to take."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10112/10 ... z0rBTcDnN8 (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10112/1052419-455.stm#ixzz0rBTcDnN8)

flippy
06-18-2010, 06:21 AM
Yep, we have no way of knowing if Ben drinks a lot...

http://www.thesunblog.com/sports/archives/roethlisberger.jpg

stlrz d
06-18-2010, 08:06 AM

That picture was taken in college.

Want to see more college photos?

http://eargoggles.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/eli_drunk.jpg

http://mike100915.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/ortonmontage.jpg

Oh noes...college jocks drinking...they're all alcoholics!!!

Hawaii - I have to say that the headline of that story you posted is incredibly misleading. Just another mediot coming up with a headline sure to get clicks.

flippy
06-18-2010, 09:27 AM

That picture was taken in college.

Want to see more college photos?

http://eargoggles.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/eli_drunk.jpg

http://mike100915.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/ortonmontage.jpg

Oh noes...college jocks drinking...they're all alcoholics!!!

The only difference is now they have guys to make sure people erase any pics that put them in a bad light.

They say these guys suffer the equivalent of a car accident on every play. Who could blame them for being alcoholics and drug addicts. Most of us probably would be too in their shoes.

NJ-STEELER
06-18-2010, 06:09 PM
"I said, 'Aw, Ray, I can't be doing that; we've got to play Baltimore tomorrow.'

"The next thing I know, Ray (mansfiled), Jack Lambert and I (andy russell) are stealing through the darkness. Ray is dodging from tree to tree—big, wide Ray, tiptoeing from one skinny little tree to another....

"So we get to this bar, and I can't just keep on drinking, I'll get sick, so I'm sitting there with coffee, and Jack is dancing on the bar with his shirt off, and Ray is arm-wrestling the bartender....

"So I'm the designated driver, and Ray and Jack are in the backseat hitting each other on the arm or something, and here comes a big white horse toward us, right down the middle of the road. I swerve to miss it, and Ray and Jack are outraged: 'You're supposed to be the sober one!' I say, There was a big white horse!' and they're even more outraged: 'We don't see any white horse. And we're the ones drinking!'

Crash
06-18-2010, 08:44 PM
"I said, 'Aw, Ray, I can't be doing that; we've got to play Baltimore tomorrow.'

"The next thing I know, Ray (mansfiled), Jack Lambert and I (andy russell) are stealing through the darkness. Ray is dodging from tree to tree—big, wide Ray, tiptoeing from one skinny little tree to another....

"So we get to this bar, and I can't just keep on drinking, I'll get sick, so I'm sitting there with coffee, and Jack is dancing on the bar with his shirt off, and Ray is arm-wrestling the bartender....

"So I'm the designated driver, and Ray and Jack are in the backseat hitting each other on the arm or something, and here comes a big white horse toward us, right down the middle of the road. I swerve to miss it, and Ray and Jack are outraged: 'You're supposed to be the sober one!' I say, There was a big white horse!' and they're even more outraged: 'We don't see any white horse. And we're the ones drinking!'

Naaaa....the 70s Steelers all drank milk and cookies.

Rumor monger!

steelblood
06-18-2010, 11:18 PM

Ok. But your paragraph begins with "none of Ben's previous offseason issues were alcohol related." That certainly sounds pretty cut and dry. You are concluding that alcohol was not involved.

While I concede that (in all likelihood) he was not obviously drunk, he certainly could have been impaired a bit. As Flippy points out, she was fugly.

Crash
06-19-2010, 12:41 AM
A friend of the accuser, Nicole Biancofiore -- underage herself and with a fake ID -- told investigators that "she does know that Ben Roethlisberger bought her friend, [the alleged victim], drinks all night but does not know what kind of drinks they were.

Of course she does. She also said Ben was angry at times but yet Miss Nicole took four different pictures with Ben throughout the evening.

This broad is the ring leader behind this whole friggin' situation. She also gave three different accounts how the woman got to the back room, and two different accounts of her demeanor once she got there.

hawaiiansteel
06-19-2010, 01:44 AM

Of course she does. She also said Ben was angry at times but yet Miss Nicole took four different pictures with Ben throughout the evening.

This broad is the ring leader behind this whole friggin' situation. She also gave three different accounts how the woman got to the back room, and two different accounts of her demeanor once she got there.

this is a photo of the lying ring leader herself, Nicole Biancofiore:

http://socialmediaseo.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Nicole-Biancofiore-Facebook-picture-profile-image.jpg

BURGH86STEEL
06-19-2010, 05:43 AM

Actually, Ben is the ring leader behind the entire situation. He should had never put himself in that situation to begin with.

What do you expect might happen to a man that tries to have sex with a drunk woman he just met in the bathroom of a bar?

Crash
06-19-2010, 10:58 AM

Actually, Ben is the ring leader behind the entire situation. He should had never put himself in that situation to begin with.

What do you expect might happen to a man that tries to have sex with a drunk woman he just met in the bathroom of a bar?

That doesn't give these whores the right to call him a rapist, and then mere minutes later accuse him of another rape.

BURGH86STEEL
06-19-2010, 06:35 PM

That doesn't give these whores the right to call him a rapist, and then mere minutes later accuse him of another rape.

Seems you cannot or will not answer the difficult question I asked.

Ashame that you have to refer to young ladies you don't know as whores. No offense but it makes you look no better then the people you label with that name.

What does it say about Ben that he was willing to have sexual relations with a drunk woman he just met in a public bathroom? If they are whores, then what is Ben? Sounds to me that Ben did not treat a lot of people very well or with respect. Again, I can understand why he was accused of sexual assault. Can you?

I try not to lean to far on one side or the other on this issue. That is because I was not there and I don't know what really happened. Ben and that woman made mistakes. Ben should not had put himself in that situation from the start (alone with a drunk woman he just met in a public bathroom).

People have this idea that they don't care how athletes treat others. All some seem to care about is what athletes do on the field. After thinking about it, I do care how athletes treat people. I care how human beings treat other human beings. I don't think many people in this world like to be disrespected or treated badly on any level.

Crash
06-20-2010, 02:05 AM
Ashame that you have to refer to young ladies you don't know as whores. No offense but it makes you look no better then the people you label with that name.

I'm sorry when you walk into a bar with a fake ID for the second time in a month, have a DTF sticker on your clothing, and tell Willie Colon (a man she just met) that her nickname is down to fu*k? She's a whore.

If they are whores, then what is Ben? Sounds to me that Ben did not treat a lot of people very well or with respect. Again, I can understand why he was accused of sexual assault. Can you?

No, I can't. He was called a rapist in Georgia, he removed said person from the VIP room. That person then (along with Biancofiore) spearheads this second accusation.

I'm sorry, thats not right.

Ben didn't follow the woman to three different clubs, they followed him.

The McNulty case is so laughable that it doesn't even warrant discussion.

BURGH86STEEL
06-20-2010, 07:36 AM
[quote]Ashame that you have to refer to young ladies you don't know as whores. No offense but it makes you look no better then the people you label with that name.

I'm sorry when you walk into a bar with a fake ID for the second time in a month, have a DTF sticker on your clothing, and tell Willie Colon (a man she just met) that her nickname is down to fu*k? She's a whore.

If they are whores, then what is Ben? Sounds to me that Ben did not treat a lot of people very well or with respect. Again, I can understand why he was accused of sexual assault. Can you?

No, I can't. He was called a rapist in Georgia, he removed said person from the VIP room. That person then (along with Biancofiore) spearheads this second accusation.

The McNulty case is so laughable that it doesn't even warrant discussion.[/quote:jwz3xuaj]

So what does it say about Ben that he was willing to have sex with a woman he just met in a public bathroom? It is not just a one way street. People can draw negative conclusions from Ben's actions and behavior. Many people believe he was not right either. The one difference is that Ben is famous and will continue to live with his shame in the public spot light.

stlrz d
06-20-2010, 09:42 AM
[quote]Ashame that you have to refer to young ladies you don't know as whores. No offense but it makes you look no better then the people you label with that name.

So what does it say about Ben that he was willing to have sex with a woman he just met in a public bathroom? It is not just a one way street. People can draw negative conclusions from Ben's actions and behavior. Many people believe he was not right either. The one difference is that Ben is famous and will continue to live with his shame in the public spot light.[/quote:73vwfy1r]

It says he's like a lot of horny guys. If some hottie approaches me and wants to have a go in the loo I'm all for it. ;)

When I was in college I once did a chick right on the gravel shoulder of a county road...at her insistence! We were walking back to my place around 11 or so at night and she couldn't wait. I was picking gravel out of my knees for a few days after that. Can't imagine where she was finding gravel, but I hope she found it quickly!

BURGH86STEEL
06-20-2010, 10:37 AM

So what does it say about Ben that he was willing to have sex with a woman he just met in a public bathroom? It is not just a one way street. People can draw negative conclusions from Ben's actions and behavior. Many people believe he was not right either. The one difference is that Ben is famous and will continue to live with his shame in the public spot light.

It says he's like a lot of horny guys. If some hottie approaches me and wants to have a go in the loo I'm all for it. ;)

When I was in college I once did a chick right on the gravel shoulder of a county road...at her insistence! We were walking back to my place around 11 or so at night and she couldn't wait. I was picking gravel out of my knees for a few days after that. Can't imagine where she was finding gravel, but I hope she found it quickly![/quote:jse8wsu0]

I suppose you can go at it at your own risk. I will not suggest that to any man or woman. You can't trust a pretty face and a smile.

Crash
06-20-2010, 11:06 AM
So what does it say about Ben that he was willing to have sex with a woman he just met in a public bathroom?

It wasn't a public bathroom. It was a private bathroom in the VIP area.

It makes him 28 and single. The location is not the best in the world but people who act like Ben should be a nun because he's a QB is laughable.

She was blowing him. She slipped, so Ben ended it. The woman's family refused to co-operate once they asked for DNA samples from inside her mouth.

Part of me is still convinced she only went along with the accusation because of her sorority sisters. Once she got away from them and told her parents the truth? Did they not want to deal with it anymore.

Colon was one of the last follow up interviews. The fact that a FEMALE investigator was laughing with Colon when they were discussing the DTF name tag? Even they knew they didn't have a case.

siss
06-20-2010, 11:07 AM

When I was in college I once did a chick right on the gravel shoulder of a county road...at her insistence! We were walking back to my place around 11 or so at night and she couldn't wait. I was picking gravel out of my knees for a few days after that. Can't imagine where she was finding gravel, but I hope she found it quickly![/quote:1rj0zwx3]
Ha I once did it on a hard cement floor in a house that was under construction!

BURGH86STEEL
06-20-2010, 01:33 PM
So what does it say about Ben that he was willing to have sex with a woman he just met in a public bathroom?

It wasn't a public bathroom. It was a private bathroom in the VIP area.

It makes him 28 and single. The location is not the best in the world but people who act like Ben should be a nun because he's a QB is laughable.

She was blowing him. She slipped, so Ben ended it. The woman's family refused to co-operate once they asked for DNA samples from inside her mouth.

Part of me is still convinced she only went along with the accusation because of her sorority sisters. Once she got away from them and told her parents the truth? Did they not want to deal with it anymore.

Colon was one of the last follow up interviews. The fact that a FEMALE investigator was laughing with Colon when they were discussing the DTF name tag? Even they knew they didn't have a case.

That bathroom did not look very VIP. Looked as public as it gets. A dirty and filthy bathroom, just disgusting.

It is not about Ben being a nun. IMO, a 28 year old man of Ben's status should be more mature. He has a responsibility to a lot of people to conduct himself better. He should also know better then to attempt to have sexual relations with a woman he just met. Especially, with a pending civil case hanging over his head. Ben's not the average everyday Joe and cannot conduct himself as such anymore. He will have to watch his step even more so now then ever. He has no one to blame but himself.

I don't know if she was blowing Ben. I don't know if Ben sexually assaulted her. I don't know if she gave Ben consent. I don't know if Ben forced himself on her. Whatever the case, both people made mistakes. I think poorly of both people involved.

Ben's decisions and mistakes have been more costly too himself, the Steeler fan base & organization, the NFL, his family, and many other people.

The family probably did not want to go through with the harassment of the media and everything that comes with it. I don't blame them. Ben does not have a choice. He is famous and put himself in that situation. If he has not learned anything by now, he never will. I thought he learned something after the Mcnaulty situation. Only time will tell if he gave lip service or if he will become a better man. I think it is easy to assume that Ben will no longer be a part of the Steelers if something like GA happens again.

stlrz d
06-20-2010, 10:31 PM

When I was in college I once did a chick right on the gravel shoulder of a county road...at her insistence! We were walking back to my place around 11 or so at night and she couldn't wait. I was picking gravel out of my knees for a few days after that. Can't imagine where she was finding gravel, but I hope she found it quickly!
Ha I once did it on a hard cement floor in a house that was under construction![/quote:3ilrmtvg]

No gravel to pick!

feltdizz
06-21-2010, 09:41 AM

It doesn't give them the right but it gives them the OPPORTUNITY to accuse him.

Ben is at fault. Why would he put the whole FO, fans NFL and himself in the hands of a w.hore / slut?

flippy
06-21-2010, 09:45 AM
Ben's a whore too and I once got busy in a Burger King bathroom.

RuthlessBurgher
06-21-2010, 10:07 AM
Ben's a whore too and I once got busy in a Burger King bathroom.

Blasphemy!

Flippy needs to get busy in a McDonald's bathroom.

Leave those Burger King bathrooms to Humpty Hump.

http://bp3.blogger.com/_xMsIesO-CM8/SImJHHu8lHI/AAAAAAAAAQg/c3AG43jjJss/s320/Humpty-Hump.jpg

siss
06-21-2010, 10:39 AM
Can we agree that they were both stupid, both immature and both slutty.
If ever there was a man who needed a good women in his life to make him settle down, its Ben Roethlisberger!

And with that said...there was this one time when I did it behind a tree at my friends apartment building....

LONG LIVE HALFTIME!!!!!!!

cruzer8
06-21-2010, 10:42 AM
If ever there was a man who needed a good women in his life to make him settle down, its Ben Roethlisberger!

And with that said...there was this one time when I did it behind a tree at my friends apartment building....

Worked great for Tiger and countless other men so no chance it wouldn't work for Ben, right?

RuthlessBurgher
06-21-2010, 10:42 AM
there was this one time when I did it behind a tree at my friends apartment building....

I assume that it was halftime of a primetime game and not a 1:00 p.m. start. :wink:

flippy
06-21-2010, 10:47 AM

Sure. But at the end of the day one of them is bigger and stronger and can control the situation as it escalates. The other is not and cannot.

So as a result, public opinion gives control back to the other after the fact because she didn't have it before or during.

This makes the situation even out. So you are getting what you want out of it. Balance.

Which she wasn't so good at apparently.

siss
06-21-2010, 10:49 AM
there was this one time when I did it behind a tree at my friends apartment building....

I assume that it was halftime of a primetime game and not a 1:00 p.m. start. :wink:
This was before I discovered the power of halftime!

Crash
06-21-2010, 11:54 AM

A single guy can be accused at any time.

In Reno he and Miss McNulty (another liar when you look at facts) apparently were flirting in the lounge area, then they ended up in his hotel suite. Which is as private as it gets. The next night after said encounter they went to dinner together with a group of people.

She tells co-workers it was great sex, wanted to have his baby, and wanted to go to Pittsburgh. Then tells her online boyfriend if they break up she would date Ben, and go fly-fishing with him.

And he still got accused.

siss
06-21-2010, 12:21 PM

In Reno he and Miss McNulty (another liar when you look at facts) apparently were flirting in the lounge area, then they ended up in his hotel suite. Which is as private as it gets. The next night after said encounter they went to dinner together with a group of people.

She tells co-workers it was great sex, wanted to have his baby, and wanted to go to Pittsburgh. Then tells her online boyfriend if they break up she would date Ben, and go fly-fishing with him.

And he still got accused.
Wasn't she the one who said the TV needed to be fixed? I think "fixing the TV" is code for "screwing the VIP guest."
Ben is one skank away from being a has been in the NFL. I hope he smartens up!

feltdizz
06-21-2010, 12:59 PM

BINGO... so if you are a single guy worth $100 million who is well known you have to be extra careful.

ANYONE who bangs a DTF chick is rolling the furry :wft dice.

Crash
06-21-2010, 01:20 PM
But he didn't bang her though.

He told the police they didn't bang.

The evidence supports this claim.

Do you know what happens to Ben if the evidence supported intercourse after he denied it?

25 years mandatory in the hole.

feltdizz
06-21-2010, 02:58 PM
But he didn't bang her though.

He told the police they didn't bang.

The evidence supports this claim.

Do you know what happens to Ben if the evidence supported intercourse after he denied it?

you are correct.... but he did bang mcnuttie.

and although he didn't bang the DTF chick he was trying to... in a vip bathroom.

hawaiiansteel
06-21-2010, 03:11 PM
the DTF accusing chick with her face blurred out and this doesn't this look like a VIP bathroom to me...

http://i.cdn.turner.com/trutv/thesmokinggun.com/graphics/art4/0609101bigben1.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/trutv/thesmokinggun.com/graphics/art4/0609101bigben14.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
06-21-2010, 03:23 PM
Everyone complained about Ben's choice of shirt that night, but look at that gaudy monstrosity she is wearing. It's like the satin equivalent of a Cosby sweater (or a Yellow Submarine or Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds acid trip). Fashion-wise, her satin shirt is more evil than his satan shirt.

siss
06-21-2010, 04:08 PM
I hope Ben got ride of that shirt!

and her skirt looks like my grandmothers curtains threw up!

stlrz d
06-21-2010, 08:50 PM
I hope Ben got ride of that shirt!

You've got halftime on the brain! :lol:

siss
06-21-2010, 09:26 PM
I hope Ben got rid of that shirt!

Fixed...and Ben does that sort of thing to me...why do you think I'm so successful at halftime?

Prok
06-21-2010, 10:13 PM
I hope Ben got rid of that shirt!

Fixed...and Ben does that sort of thing to me...why do you think I'm so successful at halftime?

lol gotta love Siss.

:Cheers

Wallace108
06-22-2010, 01:54 AM

Flippy hasn't commented on this yet? I'm disappointed ...

flippy
06-22-2010, 11:50 AM

man, that (sounds like it) hurts :oops:

Wallace108
06-22-2010, 12:31 PM

Actually, it was a compliment. http://www.steeluniverse.net/forums/images/smilies/heh.gif

flippy
06-23-2010, 06:30 AM

Actually, it was a compliment. http://www.steeluniverse.net/forums/images/smilies/heh.gif

You never miss a pearl of wisdom on this board.