PDA

View Full Version : Ask The Steelers - Dwyer 1,2&3

fordfixer
06-16-2010, 12:39 AM
Ask The Steelers - Dwyer 1

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... b267b6a349 (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Ask-The-Steelers---Dwyer-1/c5c621a3-29c2-4295-932c-bab267b6a349)

ASK THE STEELERS Ė JONATHAN DWYER Ė PART 1

Steelers.com brings you the Ask the Steelers feature. Fans submitted the questions that were asked. Please understand that we receive an incredible number of questions for each player, with many of the questions being similar, and not all of the questions can be answered. We selected as many as possible, and took your questions to the current subject to get your answers.

Robbie Lloyd in Canada asks: What was the feeling like watching the draft and waiting for a team to call you, especially since the draft lasted three days?
Jonathan Dwyer: It was an emotional process. You feel excitement because you know itís going to happen and I will be able to live my dream of playing in the National Football League.

Christina BelŪo in El Paso, Texas asks: How did you feel when you were picked by the Steelers?
Jonathan Dwyer: At first when I got the phone call I didnít know who it was. I was just excited to receive the phone call. When I heard it was Mr. (Art) Rooney, Mr. (Kevin) Colbert and Coach (Mike) Tomlin I knew who it was and I was excited because itís a good team and a good organization to be a part of.

Neil Fitzgerald in Kildare, Ireland: Being drafted in the sixth round is an honor, but at the same time you must have thought you deserved a higher round. How will this affect your mindset entering the season?
Jonathan Dwyer: It doesnít really affect it. I am just happy to have the opportunity to play at the next level and am glad that I have a team that believes in me as a player and person. Of course I think I should have gone higher, but it just makes me hungrier and want to prove everyone wrong. I want the Steelers organization to know they had a great pick and wonít regret it.

Deb Potter in Arizona asks: Steelers fans are glad you lasted until the sixth-round, but why do you think that you did?
Jonathan Dwyer: Maybe because of the offense that I came from and probably because I didnít have the greatest combine performance. I had a broken toe so I wasnít 100% and didnít perform at my highest capability.

Tony Cangey in Huntington Beach, California asks: How do you feel you can complement the Steelers backfield with Rashard Mendenhall andMewelde Moore?
Jonathan Dwyer: I can be all different types of a back, the complete back that everybody wants. If they need me to be the third down guy and catch the ball I can do that. If anyone goes down, all three of us can contribute. It will be great as a unit to have everyone fresh and healthy. It can be a great three-headed monster.

Carlos Lezama Lugo from Mexico City asks: What strengths do you bring to the Steelers organization?
Jonathan Dwyer: Durability, physicality and deceptive breakaway speed.

Oviedo
06-16-2010, 08:17 AM
You get a sense of excitment that we potentially got a special RB. Let's hope it comes to be but you have to like this kids attitude.

Steelers>NFL
06-16-2010, 08:44 AM
Dwyer is one of my favorite pick in the draft. I am really excited about him.
And I never heard of him prior to the draft.
Can not wait to see what he can do on the field.

fordfixer
06-20-2010, 10:27 PM
Ask The Steelers - Dwyer 2

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... c719ed42df (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Ask-The-Steelers---Dwyer-2/1d622682-5b29-473f-bf4d-b0c719ed42df)

ASK THE STEELERS Ė JONATHAN DWYER Ė PART 2

Steelers.com brings you the Ask the Steelers feature. Fans submitted the questions that were asked. Please understand that we receive an incredible number of questions for each player, with many of the questions being similar, and not all of the questions can be answered. We selected as many as possible, and took your questions to the current subject to get your answers.

John Roetter in Naperville, Illinois asks: What are your main goals for the upcoming season?
Jonathan Dwyer: My main goal is to be a contributor, be a key player and help lead the team to a Super Bowl championship.

Gary Bower in Indiana asks: How important will special teams be for you as a rookie?
Jonathan Dwyer: It will be good. Itís going to be exciting. I played special teams my freshman year at Georgia Tech. Itís going to be a great opportunity to get on the field some way and I am excited to do it.

Steve Ray asks: This offseason everyone has been saying the Steelers must focus on running the ball more, including management. As a running back, do you like hearing that?
Jonathan Dwyer: Yeah. Any running back would like hearing it, the fact that they want to run the ball more and that is their main objective. I just want to win no matter what it takes Ė running the ball, passing the ball, making plays on special teams and the defense doing their thing. Whatever it takes to win football games I am happy to be a part of it.

Adam Williams in Maryland asks: What do you think the biggest adjustment will be coming from college to the NFL?
Jonathan Dwyer: Picking up the reads and the play terminology. Other than that itís not things I havenít done before. Itís just getting the rust off and getting used to doing it.

Barry Price in New Jersey asks: Do they throw a lot at you during mini-camp and was your head spinning?
Jonathan Dwyer: Of course, a lot of rookieís heads were spinning getting used to the different terminology. I have the hang of it better now going over my notes every day and getting a better idea of what is going on.

Don Palmer in Ohio asks: What was it like to put a Steelers helmet on for the first time in mini-camp?
Jonathan Dwyer: Words canít describe it. It was a great moment. It was exciting. Being in the locker room was even better, having your name over the locker, sitting across from great players like Hines Ward, Byron Leftwich and James Farrior.

Jared Lewis in Michigan: You hear a lot about the camaraderie in the Steelers locker room. What was your first impression of that?
Jonathan Dwyer: It was great. I found out that James Farrior and I are cousins. Thatís a great thing to know that you are playing with a relative on the team. I have never been a part of anything like that before. The guys all seem really cool, they get along great. They opened up their wings for the rookies and the newcomers here.

fordfixer
06-24-2010, 10:26 PM
Ask The Steelers - Dwyer 3
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... ac96ebce7a (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Ask-The-Steelers---Dwyer-3/ca4ea140-b773-4920-97a7-33ac96ebce7a)
ASK THE STEELERS Ė JONATHAN DWYER Ė PART 3

Dana Lucas asks: Have you heard yet how passionate Steelers fans are about the team and are you looking forward to playing for a team with that kind of atmosphere?
Jonathan Dwyer: Of course I am. Where I am from football and baseball are like life. Itís like their bible. I am excited to be a part of it.

Christopher Baron in Barre, Vermont asks: As you grew up who did you consider your idol on the football field?
Jonathan Dwyer: I looked up to Walter Payton, Jerome Bettis and Adrian Peterson.

Greg Butler in Arizona asks: What was it like to see the six Super Bowl trophies for the first time?
Jonathan Dwyer: It was cool. Itís something people donít always get to see. It was a lot of fun. Hopefully I can be a part of a new one.

Daniel Curran in Cleveland, Ohio asks: What past or current NFL player you feel plays similar to your style?
Jonathan Dwyer: Past I would say Walter Payton. That is who I try to play like. Now it would be Adrian Peterson because he is a big back and is tall like I am. He is physical and uses his vision and things like that.

Jesse Hoss asks: Other than football, are there any other pro sports you follow and if so who are your favorite teams?
Jonathan Dwyer: I always follow basketball. My favorite team is the Cleveland Cavaliers because I have a buddy that plays for them, J.J. Hickson, and I am a LeBron James fan. In baseball I am a Yankees fan. Itís a sport I always played as a kid. Guys I played with are in the Major Leagues now. I am friends with Jayson Heyward, a starting outfielder for the Braves.

Dan Morris in Rhode Island asks: What is your first impression of the City of Pittsburgh, which was just voted the most livable city in America?
Jonathan Dwyer: Itís different than Atlanta. Itís not as busy. The people are a lot more laid back, which I am. I really like the city a lot.

Manny Luciano in Brooklyn, New York asks: Why did you pick jersey #41? Is that permanent?
Jonathan Dwyer: I didnít pick it. They gave it to me. I donít know if itís permanent or not. Itís a number, itís not who I am. My name and the way I play will overcome whatever number I am.

RuthlessBurgher
06-25-2010, 01:30 AM
Christopher Baron in Barre, Vermont asks: As you grew up who did you consider your idol on the football field?
Jonathan Dwyer: I looked up to Walter Payton, Jerome Bettis and Adrian Peterson.

Seems like he just picked the names of 3 successful NFL running backs that sounded good.

Payton retired from the NFL 2 years before Dwyer was even born. It's difficult to idolize someone as a kid when you have never seen play except in highlight reels after the fact.

Mentioning Bettis is simply pandering to Steeler fans. But Steeler fans realize that Dwyer is more similar to Barry Foster in body type and running style than Bettis...however, Foster's NFL career took place before Dwyer attended kindergarten, so he likely has never heard of him.

When Adrian Peterson was a rookie in the NFL, Dwyer was already in college at Georgia Tech. That doesn't really count as an "idol as you grew up." If he was going to mention guys he looked up to in college, then he should have at least given a shout out to former Yellow Jacket teammate Tashard Choice, since he learned from him firsthand.

flippy
06-25-2010, 09:03 AM

Seems like he just picked the names of 3 successful NFL running backs that sounded good.

Payton retired from the NFL 2 years before Dwyer was even born. It's difficult to idolize someone as a kid when you have never seen play except in highlight reels after the fact.

Mentioning Bettis is simply pandering to Steeler fans. But Steeler fans realize that Dwyer is more similar to Barry Foster in body type and running style than Bettis...however, Foster's NFL career took place before Dwyer attended kindergarten, so he likely has never heard of him.

When Adrian Peterson was a rookie in the NFL, Dwyer was already in college at Georgia Tech. That doesn't really count as an "idol as you grew up." If he was going to mention guys he looked up to in college, then he should have at least given a shout out to former Yellow Jacket teammate Tashard Choice, since he learned from him firsthand.

I like that he thinks of himself as a cross between Walter Payton and Adrian Peterson. Just hope he doesn't fumble like Peterson.

steelblood
06-25-2010, 09:39 AM

His answer was a little weak, I agree.

I don't know if I'd compare him to Foster. Foster was short (listed at 5'10" but probably a little less than that). Dwyer is 6'1". That is really tall. Dwyer's style is not dissimilar from Foster's and may be more like Foster than Bettis. But, I'd say Dwyer's body and style are most like Bam Morris, a taller back with powerful legs and long arms who (like Dwyer) ran better than you'd expect in the open field with a deceptive second gear and good elusiveness for a big guy.

RuthlessBurgher
06-25-2010, 11:38 AM

His answer was a little weak, I agree.

I don't know if I'd compare him to Foster. Foster was short (listed at 5'10" but probably a little less than that). Dwyer is 6'1". That is really tall. Dwyer's style is not dissimilar from Foster's and may be more like Foster than Bettis. But, I'd say Dwyer's body and style are most like Bam Morris, a taller back with powerful legs and long arms who (like Dwyer) ran better than you'd expect in the open field with a deceptive second gear and good elusiveness for a big guy.

Dwyer is listed at 5'11" on both NFL.com and Steelers.com.

feltdizz
06-25-2010, 05:38 PM

Damn dude... You act like these RB's played before the TV was invented. Nothing wrong with the answer IMO. If you want to be the best you watch the best.

DVD's dude... DVD's. He could have easily said Barry Sanders... but maybe he idolizes players he runs like. If he knows who Walter Payton is why doubt if he idolized him?