PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Art Rooney II pleased with Ben Roethlisberger

fordfixer
06-16-2010, 12:38 AM
Steelers' Art Rooney II pleased with Ben Roethlisberger's attitude since return

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... e-return/1 (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/06/steelers-art-rooney-ii-pleased-with-ben-roethlisbergers-attitude-since-return/1)

Steelers team president Art Rooney II said he's been pleased with Ben Roethlisberger's performance and attitude since commissioner Roger Goodell cleared the QB to return to team activities on June 1.

Rooney, in an interview with Steelers.com, said Roethlisberger still has a long way to go to earn back the trust of fans and others, but he believes he has a good head start on rebuilding his life.

"I think Ben came back with a bit of a new attitude," Rooney said of Roethlisberger's return to the team on June 1, "and certainly you could start to see some changes in him. So I was pleased with the way the first week back went."

Last week Roethlisberger apologized for "dumb" and "immature" behavior that led to his six-game suspension for violating the NFL's personal-conduct policy. He was accused of sexual assault by a 20-year-old Georgia woman in March, but no charges were filed. Roethlisberger has since entered a behavioral evaluation program ordered as part of his suspension.

Rooney, who expressed disappointment in Roethlisberger in the wake of the suspension, said he was satisfied that Roethlisberger is making a good-faith effort to become a better person. Goodell stressed when he issued the suspension that part of the goal was to change Roethlisberger's behavior, and Rooney said he thinks the QB got the message:

"I think Ben's response to it has been good. He's gone through the evaluation. He's committed to doing the things that the commissioner has asked him to do. We've got a way to go. It's up to Ben now to make sure he does what's right. And I think he truly wants to do what is necessary to earn back the fans' trust and respect. But I think that he knows that he's not going to do that in one or two interviews. He's only going to do that by his actions over the next weeks and months."

Rooney said many Steelers fans wrote to the team to express their displeasure in Roethlisberger this spring. But he added that "at this point people are starting to understand that Ben is trying to make a commitment to make the changes that he needs to make."

-- Sean Leahy

Oviedo
06-16-2010, 08:22 AM
"Scared straight" and some "tough love" may have been exactly what Ben needed. I also think needs some stability in his personal life. I read somewhere that his parents now have a farm in Western Pa. Hopefully they get more involved with Ben in his personal life and provide some perspective and stability.

I've always said that ben screwed up and was very stupid but I also think he deserves a chance at redemption. He has two strikes against him and now he can take a third strike or hit a home run. I'm hoping and betting it is the latter.

BradshawsHairdresser
06-16-2010, 09:55 AM
"Scared straight" and some "tough love" may have been exactly what Ben needed. I also think needs some stability in his personal life. I read somewhere that his parents now have a farm in Western Pa. Hopefully they get more involved with Ben in his personal life and provide some perspective and stability.

I've always said that ben screwed up and was very stupid but I also think he deserves a chance at redemption. He has two strikes against him and now he can take a third strike or hit a home run. I'm hoping and betting it is the latter.

I hope you are right. But what I've observed is that, usually, when the person possesses a large ego, he has to hit rock-bottom before he turns it around. I have my doubts whether
Ben has reached that point yet.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
06-16-2010, 10:01 AM
No, No, No!!!!!

This is all wrong!!!!

The Rooney family is very angry and looking to trade this guy.

They will trade him on draft weekend To Oakland for either Jamarcus Russel or a 23rd round draft pick - whichever is deemed to have less value.

He has committed two rapes that we know of, but since that was only on two nights that we know of and he has been a Steeler for thousands of nights...well, you do the math.

He is a Sociopath and was recently linked to the Son of Sam murders and Al Capone. Prosecutors in the Son of Sam case are looking to make Ben pay for them keeping an innocent mail carrier in jail for almost 40 years. New Yorkers are angry because mail delivery has slowed down since the incarceration of David Berkowits.

Can't you guys read? It has been in all the papers, every sports website, and all over TV for months. Are you really going to believe one little article?

Remember everyone - don't bottle up your hate, focus it and blow up irrationally in Ben's direction whether you know the facts or not. I will not stand by silently as this article spews this poison about Rooneys and Roethlisbergers living in harmony.

:wink:

RuthlessBurgher
06-16-2010, 10:12 AM
You can see the video of the Art II interview with Bob Labriola on 6-14-10 here:

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Interview-with-Art-Rooney-II-June-14-2010/8d5f5ced-c828-401e-b5c6-cfb53bdd833e

SteelAbility
06-16-2010, 10:25 AM
Now when Ben buys shots for girls he says ...

"All you find young maidens of 21 years or older, savor my purchase of only the best spirits for the purpose of refreshing your spirits."

siss
06-16-2010, 12:22 PM
So basically the commish sent him to obedience school!

flippy
06-16-2010, 12:25 PM
And JD will now have a salad, entre, appetizer, and dessert fork to add to his collection.

feltdizz
06-16-2010, 12:56 PM

"All you find young maidens of 21 years or older, savor my purchase of only the best spirits for the purpose of refreshing your spirits."

:Clap Now that's funny...

Ben does need to change his behavior... he should be able to party and have a good time but when a situation arises that is legal but questionable or risky he needs to fall back.

Nothing wrong with picking up chicks but he doesn't have to do them right there or within the hour...

Oviedo
06-16-2010, 01:25 PM

The commish made an example out of him because he was the first high profile white QB he had to deal with. He issued an extreme punishment to set an example to the other players. He also had willing co-conspirators in the Rooneys.

In his typical consistent manner he will now let Vince Young off the hook with no punishment for assaulting another person and actually being issued a citation.

If I was an NFL player I would be very confused.

Sugar
06-16-2010, 05:11 PM

I wonder if he's learned to "roll over" yet. It seems their determined to make him "beg."

fordfixer
06-16-2010, 10:42 PM

Ben does need to change his behavior... he should be able to party and have a good time but when a situation arises that is legal but questionable or risky he needs to fall back.

Nothing wrong with picking up chicks but he doesn't have to do them right there or within the hour...
He just needs to change his name to Ron Mexico or something like that

siss
06-16-2010, 11:13 PM

He just needs to change his name to Ron Mexico or something like that

I think he should consider a 7 date rule...that seems to be an easy number for him to remember.

stlrz d
06-17-2010, 12:18 AM

The commish made an example out of him because he was the first high profile white QB he had to deal with. He issued an extreme punishment to set an example to the other players. He also had willing co-conspirators in the Rooneys.

In his typical consistent manner he will now let Vince Young off the hook with no punishment for assaulting another person and actually being issued a citation.

If I was an NFL player I would be very confused.

http://rdrakennedy.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/money1.jpg