PDA

View Full Version : What did we learn out of OTAs? Defense

Oviedo
06-14-2010, 07:52 AM
DL-Hood looks to demand more playing time. Hampton looks motivated. Smith and Kiesel are just continue their blue-collar approach. What does it mean? Don't expect much change on the DL despite all the enthusiasm over Worthington. Worthington and Eason battle for the last spot.

LB-Got to be a little concerned Harrison missed so much time. Is there a problem we don't know about? Woodley and Timmons are prepared to be unstoppable this season. Didn't hear about Farrior...is that a concern? Worilds sounds like a good pick up who is learning fast and hopefully will be a demon on STs ala Harrison.

CB-Crezdon Butler looks to be the real deal. Burnett and Lewis seem to both have taken that next step Tomlin talks about for second year players. Never heard or read that Bmac was impressive. Do we have a problem? I think the final CBs are already known with Taylor, Bmac, Burnett, Lewis, Gay and finally Butler taking the Townsend spot. Not much competition in camp for a roster spot but maybe alot for specific roles.

S-Thank goodness we kept Clark. There has to be some concern Troy was never 100%. Will Allen looks to be a solid addition as a swing man between FS and SS. Ryan Mundy may have become a non-factor and opened the door for an undrafted rookie Safety if that player can be solid on Special Teams.

K-Jeff Reed had better not make any long term real estate investments in Pittsburgh. His kick-offs are a problem that the organization is tired of dealing with and they are looking for other options. IMO Reed entering last year as a member of the Steelers.

Returners-Trying to find another position Logan can play but can't. Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown could make Logan expendable and both rookies will be given every opportunity to prove they can handle the return duties.

SteelBucks
06-14-2010, 08:13 AM
It's probably just me but I never put much stock in OTA's. Most of the vets don't do much (some don't show at all) and it's pretty much handled as a rookie orientation. I'll wait until they actually put on the pads in Latrobe before figuring out what's what.

flippy
06-14-2010, 08:37 AM
I think the big surprises have been Bulter and Lewis which is hopeful for our D.

I'm most interested in how soon our LBs can contribute to the pass rush.

BradshawsHairdresser
06-14-2010, 08:54 AM
It's probably just me but I never put much stock in OTA's. Most of the vets don't do much (some don't show at all) and it's pretty much handled as a rookie orientation. I'll wait until they actually put on the pads in Latrobe before figuring out what's what.
$$$$$$$$$

I don't think we learned much of anything from OTAs.

flippy
06-14-2010, 08:58 AM
$$$$$$$$$

But we need something to talk about....

Oviedo
06-14-2010, 09:02 AM
$$$$$$$$$

Work with me hear guys. The next 6 weeks will be agony :wink:

ramblinjim
06-14-2010, 09:55 AM
yeah, what are we going to do the next six weeks? ugh!

calmkiller
06-14-2010, 10:58 AM
DL-Hood looks to demand more playing time. Hampton looks motivated. Smith and Kiesel are just continue their blue-collar approach. What does it mean? Don't expect much change on the DL despite all the enthusiasm over Worthington. Worthington and Eason battle for the last spot.

LB-Got to be a little concerned Harrison missed so much time. Is there a problem we don't know about? Woodley and Timmons are prepared to be unstoppable this season. Didn't hear about Farrior...is that a concern? Worilds sounds like a good pick up who is learning fast and hopefully will be a demon on STs ala Harrison.

CB-Crezdon Butler looks to be the real deal. Burnett and Lewis seem to both have taken that next step Tomlin talks about for second year players. Never heard or read that Bmac was impressive. Do we have a problem? I think the final CBs are already known with Taylor, Bmac, Burnett, Lewis, Gay and finally Butler taking the Townsend spot. Not much competition in camp for a roster spot but maybe alot for specific roles.

S-Thank goodness we kept Clark. There has to be some concern Troy was never 100%. Will Allen looks to be a solid addition as a swing man between FS and SS. Ryan Mundy may have become a non-factor and opened the door for an undrafted rookie Safety if that player can be solid on Special Teams.

K-Jeff Reed had better not make any long term real estate investments in Pittsburgh. His kick-offs are a problem that the organization is tired of dealing with and they are looking for other options. IMO Reed entering last year as a member of the Steelers.

Returners-Trying to find another position Logan can play but can't. Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown could make Logan expendable and both rookies will be given every opportunity to prove they can handle the return duties.

Wouldn't Bmac be taking Townsends spot on the roster. If we also keep Butler thats 1 extra CB this year? Or is Butler taking Madison's spot?

Steelers>NFL
06-14-2010, 11:01 AM
yeah, what are we going to do the next six weeks? ugh!

Enjoy the start of summer. :D

Oviedo
06-14-2010, 12:38 PM

Wouldn't Bmac be taking Townsends spot on the roster. If we also keep Butler thats 1 extra CB this year? Or is Butler taking Madison's spot?

You are right. Bmac took Townsend's spot and Butler would be pushing Madison off the roster. Good catch. Thanks.

Shawn
06-14-2010, 01:03 PM
$$$$$$$$$

Work with me hear guys. The next 6 weeks will be agony :wink:

:lol:

Isn't the truth.

I enjoyed the read.

SidSmythe
06-14-2010, 01:49 PM
$$$$$$$$$

But we need something to talk about....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Chucktownsteeler
06-14-2010, 11:32 PM
Lewis and Butler the biggest surprises. Burnett to take Townsend's spot.

I think Logan will face a tough uphill battle to make the squad.

Chucktown

AkronSteel
06-16-2010, 03:23 PM
I think William Gay could be facing a tough battle to make the final 53 this year!! I really only see the team keeping 9 DB's.

CB: Ike Taylor
CB: Keenan Lewis :D ......sorry had to
SS: Troy Polamalu
FS: Ryan Clark

Reserves:
Bryant McFadden
Joe Burnett
Crezdon Butler
Will Allen

and......

Anthony Madison

The guy is just a stud on ST.....our coverage units at the end of the year last year were soooo much better when he was back covering kicks!!! I know he is only one guy but he truly does make a difference. Plus he and Arnaz Battle would make for one heck of a gunner tandem! We really need to worry about ST this year. To me, that is the main reason why we were 9-7 last year as opposed to 12-4. You can't give away free touchdowns and expect to win games, whether the D held teams in the 4th or not, they were already behind the 8 ball because the coverage teams were giving away touchdowns on a weekly basis! Well that is until Anthony Madison came back!

RuthlessBurgher
06-16-2010, 03:30 PM
I think William Gay could be facing a tough battle to make the final 53 this year!! I really only see the team keeping 9 DB's.

Reserves:
Bryant McFadden
Joe Burnett
Crezdon Butler
Will Allen

and......

Anthony Madison

The guy is just a stud on ST.....our coverage units at the end of the year last year were soooo much better when he was back covering kicks!!! I know he is only one guy but he truly does make a difference. Plus he and Arnaz Battle would make for one heck of a gunner tandem! We really need to worry about ST this year. To me, that is the main reason why we were 9-7 last year as opposed to 12-4. You can't give away free touchdowns and expect to win games, whether the D held teams in the 4th or not, they were already behind the 8 ball because the coverage teams were giving away touchdowns on a weekly basis! Well that is until Anthony Madison came back!

Considering how Troy and Clark throw their bodies around with reckless abandon, I doubt that we would only keep 1 backup safety.

Oviedo
06-16-2010, 03:35 PM

Reserves:
Bryant McFadden
Joe Burnett
Crezdon Butler
Will Allen

and......

Anthony Madison

I have to disagree. I think Madison is odd man out with Battle and someone else playing gunner. I think Butler and or Burnett will get a look at the other gunner position and both of them can actually play CB which is something that Madision has shown zero ability to do.

AkronSteel
06-16-2010, 03:41 PM

Reserves:
Bryant McFadden
Joe Burnett
Crezdon Butler
Will Allen

and......

Anthony Madison

I have to disagree. I think Madison is odd man out with Battle and someone else playing gunner. I think Butler and or Burnett will get a look at the other gunner position and both of them can actually play CB which is something that Madision has shown zero ability to do.

I would love to agree with ya OV. I would rather have one of the other guys take the position too, and maybe it's just that I really don't care for William Gay but I just have a feeling about Anthony Madison and how Tomlin will view him! For some reason last year when he came back we didn't allow a ST TD the rest of the year!! Maybe I'm just looking too much into it but I just think he is important, but I have to agree with you that I would much rather have one of the younger guys who can actually play CB step up and be as good as Madison is on ST.

Oviedo
06-16-2010, 04:56 PM

Reserves:
Bryant McFadden
Joe Burnett
Crezdon Butler
Will Allen

and......

Anthony Madison

I would love to agree with ya OV. I would rather have one of the other guys take the position too, and maybe it's just that I really don't care for William Gay but I just have a feeling about Anthony Madison and how Tomlin will view him! For some reason last year when he came back we didn't allow a ST TD the rest of the year!! Maybe I'm just looking too much into it but I just think he is important, but I have to agree with you that I would much rather have one of the younger guys who can actually play CB step up and be as good as Madison is on ST.

We'll have to wait and see but betting madison is gone. You just can't afford to have "one trick ponies" like Madison and Logan on the gameday roster. It creates a domino effect at other positions as you try to get guys who could step in if an injury occurs.

phillyesq
06-17-2010, 12:33 PM

Reserves:
Bryant McFadden
Joe Burnett
Crezdon Butler
Will Allen

and......

Anthony Madison

We'll have to wait and see but betting madison is gone. You just can't afford to have "one trick ponies" like Madison and Logan on the gameday roster. It creates a domino effect at other positions as you try to get guys who could step in if an injury occurs.

We saw the flip side last year -- you certainly can't afford to give up weekly return touchdowns either.

BradshawsHairdresser
06-17-2010, 10:16 PM

Reserves:
Bryant McFadden
Joe Burnett
Crezdon Butler
Will Allen

and......

Anthony Madison

We saw the flip side last year -- you certainly can't afford to give up weekly return touchdowns either.

$$$$
Last season, Madison and Logan each provided a significant and needed upgrade to STs when they came on board...both were well worth keeping. That doesn't mean they won't get beat out in camp this season. I have no problem cutting them if other players show that they are better. But if Madison and Logan prove that they are the team's best at what they do on STs, they should be kept on again. We all ought to know by now how important STs are to success in the NFL.

ikestops85
06-18-2010, 01:10 PM

$$$$
Last season, Madison and Logan each provided a significant and needed upgrade to STs when they came on board...both were well worth keeping. That doesn't mean they won't get beat out in camp this season. I have no problem cutting them if other players show that they are better. But if Madison and Logan prove that they are the team's best at what they do on STs, they should be kept on again. We all ought to know by now how important STs are to success in the NFL.

We need to go with the best players we can. While Madison maybe a one trick pony I don't think you can say that about Logan. The guy has offensive skills and we are stupid not using them.

However, if Brown or somebody else is a better returner and also shows skill at another position then bye bye Logan. I don't think that will be easy because it's not many guys that have the entire team intently watching when they step on the field for a return. The steelers did that for Logan. The players themselves seem to have a ton of respect for his skills. They are the ones who said it's hard to get a hand on the guy.