PDA

View Full Version : Ramblin Jim punishes himself

ramblinjim
06-13-2010, 06:40 PM
So I just watched the NFL replay of Raiders at Steelers, what was I thinking that Ike wouldn't get burned for an 80 yard touchdown play THIS time? AAAARRRRGHHH!!!!!

:HeadBanger

Prok
06-13-2010, 06:52 PM
Everyone (fans) seems to bash Gay and leave Ike alone. Ikes got HORRIBLE deep ball coverage, ball awareness and catching skills IMO. He plays zone coverage decently enough but man he has no feel for the soft fade passes IMO. None.

hellbanger
06-13-2010, 07:35 PM
Everyone (fans) seems to bash Gay and leave Ike alone. Ikes got HORRIBLE deep ball coverage, ball awareness and catching skills IMO. He plays zone coverage decently enough but man he has no feel for the soft fade passes IMO. None.

Didn't Cowher bench him just for that?

flippy
06-13-2010, 08:36 PM
Ike can stay with the receiver and tackle him as soon as he makes the catch.

Gay's big issue is tackling.

hawaiiansteel
06-13-2010, 08:53 PM

it's not easy to tackle other NFL players when you're on your back... :roll:

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/06OB7Nd2H2a10/x610.jpg

ikestops85
06-14-2010, 01:07 PM

I agree ... Ike seems to get a pass while everybody "Gay Bashes" (extra point for getting in a politically incorrect term). The only difference between the 2 was Ike is the superior tackler and run stopper.

I still maintain that the DBs lost confidence last year which they must get back this year. Even with confidence they are still average to a little above average corners while the safeties are above average (Clark) to incredible (Troy) but we have absolutely NO depth behind them.

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
06-14-2010, 01:24 PM

2005 playoffs IKE shuts down Ocho Doucho, Marvin Harrison, Rod Smith and Darryl Jackson. That may be part of the reason his weaknesses are overlooked.

ikestops85
06-14-2010, 01:45 PM

2005 playoffs IKE shuts down Ocho Doucho, Marvin Harrison, Rod Smith and Darryl Jackson. That may be part of the reason his weaknesses are overlooked.

Exactly, and the 2006 season he gets benched. Ike is very streaky with his play. He looks like Champ Bailey in one game and Chump Bailey the next.

SidSmythe
06-14-2010, 01:47 PM
IKE's a very good CB. it's that simple ... he lacks in some areas but overall he does his job. He does lack big play ability but to say he has "Horrible deep ball coverage" is exaggerating!!

rpmpit
06-14-2010, 01:48 PM
On the origninal post, RJ I am totally with ya. Seems like they've been playing the Steelers on NFL Replay the last few weeks and most of them have been losses. The one I could absolutely not even think about watching was against KC.

On our DBs. To me, Ike has been very up and down his whole career. Plenty of people have complained about Deshea and given Ike a pass. And flip, isn't the point to NOT let the receiver catch the ball. I'm thinking you were being sarcastic on that.

Prok
06-14-2010, 02:12 PM

I think at one point he did. I think our defense could be number 1 overall if we had just hit on an early round CB in recent years. And by "hit" i mean someone that you can put on opponents best WR in man coverage ALL game. lol

flippy
06-14-2010, 02:18 PM

I think at one point he did. I think our defense could be number 1 overall if we had just hit on an early round CB in recent years. And by "hit" i mean someone that you can put on opponents best WR in man coverage ALL game. lol

They were with the same CBs we have right now.

Prok
06-14-2010, 02:33 PM

They were with the same CBs we have right now.

I view our CB's as the weak link. I think Troy makes up for alot of inadequecies IMO.
I can't stand to see a team throw a fade or deep out at Ike. i just don't think he has good recognition skils in that area.

Put a true shut-down CB on this D and we all would be thrilled IMO.

flippy
06-14-2010, 02:37 PM
On the origninal post, RJ I am totally with ya. Seems like they've been playing the Steelers on NFL Replay the last few weeks and most of them have been losses. The one I could absolutely not even think about watching was against KC.

On our DBs. To me, Ike has been very up and down his whole career. Plenty of people have complained about Deshea and given Ike a pass. And flip, isn't the point to NOT let the receiver catch the ball. I'm thinking you were being sarcastic on that.

Sure, you'd always prefer the receiver not catch the ball. But in Lebeau's defense they allow short completions and expect the CBs to tackle immediately. Ike's as good a tackler as there is at the CB position. It's important in our system.

Prok
06-14-2010, 02:48 PM

Sure, you'd always prefer the receiver not catch the ball. But in Lebeau's defense they allow short completions and expect the CBs to tackle immediately. Ike's as good a tackler as there is at the CB position. It's important in our system.

I agree he's a good tackler and decent enough in zone coverage. I'm just a fan of having good man-corners and getting after the QB i suppose. Imagine if Rod Woodson was in his prime THIS past decade. Wow we'd be scary good.

ANPSTEEL
06-14-2010, 03:42 PM
yeah, I watched that too-

I had to turn it off at the end- to avoid throwing the remote, again.

In respect to Ike-

Ike has good coverage skills.

What he falters in, is
-locating the ball
-playing the ball

Other teams know this- during the slump last season- on several occasions other teams were throwing on Ike- even though he had good coverage. They recognized that Ike only had a (I'm making numbers up) 50% chance of locating the ball and a 30% chance of defending the ball, and a 10% chance of actually intercepting it.

Ike not locating the ball is a big problem- particularly when the safety position is greatly compromised by injury. Ike has the speed to play deep patters, but doesn't get his head around for beans- so w/o over the top help- you end up with crap like we saw against the Raiders.

Prok
06-14-2010, 03:47 PM

In respect to Ike-

What he falters in, is
-locating the ball
-playing the ball

Other teams know this- during the slump last season- on several occasions other teams were throwing on Ike- even though he had good coverage. They recognized that Ike only had a (I'm making numbers up) 50% chance of locating the ball and a 30% chance of defending the ball, and a 10% chance of actually intercepting it.

Ike not locating the ball is a big problem- particularly when the safety position is greatly compromised by injury. Ike has the speed to play deep patters, but doesn't get his head around for beans- so w/o over the top help- you end up with crap like we saw against the Raiders.

Agreed. Wow you put my thoughts into words better than I ever could. great job!!

:tt1

SteelAbility
06-14-2010, 04:23 PM
Yes, it's the old "mid-post-season game we should have easily won" venting trick! Very cathartic, I hear. :P

SteelAbility
06-14-2010, 04:26 PM

In respect to Ike-

What he falters in, is
-locating the ball
-playing the ball

Agreed. Wow you put my thoughts into words better than I ever could. great job!!

:tt1

Now let me get this straight. ANPSTEEL accurately articulates a blaring weakness in Ike's game (which I totally agree with, by the way) and you respond with ... :tt1 ???

:wft

:P

SteelAbility
06-14-2010, 04:28 PM

Well, we had a clue into that. You know, when your name totally reflects your tackling skill. :wink:

flippy
06-14-2010, 04:52 PM

Well, we had a clue into that. You know, when your name totally reflects your tackling skill. :wink:

I never knew his middle name was Awful.

Prok
06-14-2010, 05:24 PM
Just for clarity i waved the :tt1 because he was able to put my thoughts into better words than I did. Not because Ike gets beat like a drum on soft lob passes. :lol:

Bruce freakin' Gradkowski (sp) ?

Matt Cassel ??

Brady Quinn ? Oh, OK he actually wasn't sooooo terrible against Quinn i guess....

Arghhhh the guy who said we were venting was dead on. lol