PDA

View Full Version : What did we learn out of OTAs? Offense.

Oviedo
06-13-2010, 11:24 AM
"Football in shorts" doesn't man much but from reports here is what I think we know.

1. QB-When Ben isn't the man, Byron will be the man. Dixon is going to be #3 this year and Batch will be nothing more than a "camp arm" and temp until Ben comes back.

2. RB-Dwyer may be the steal of this draft and Redman may actually be a player.

3. FB/TE/H-back-The Tank will be given every opportunity to show he can play FB and if he can that probably dooms Redman because the Tank can play both RB and FB. FB will still likely be a TE so don't discount Sean McHugh. Johnson may be costing himself a psoition because he can't catch if his life depended on it. Miller and Spaeth won't be threatened. If he can learn the FB position and show he is a special teams stud (Va Tech pedigree will help), Demetrius Taylor may be the surprise of camp. Everything written about him and his 270lb body has been about what an outstanding athlete he is and how he can catch out of the backfield. But can he block?

4. OL-Most interesting psotion to watch during camp. Hartwig picked bad time to be injured. The rookie (Pouncey) has impressed but will they trust the Center position to a rookie? I doubt it. Huge battle on the interior between Essex, Urbik, Foster and Scott.

5. WR-Got to be concerned Hines couldn't do anything. ARE and battle look like they are up to the support roles they were brought in for. Wallace looks like he could be special but will have to learn to deal with being "the guy." Sanders and Brown may not get lots of reps at WR but the combination could push Logan off the roster.

6. Punter-Grassele will get the requisite hopeful support as the local kid but Sepulveda is safe.

StarSpangledSteeler
06-13-2010, 10:39 PM
"Football in shorts" doesn't man much but from reports here is what I think we know.

1. QB-When Ben isn't the man, Byron will be the man. Dixon is going to be #3 this year and Batch will be nothing more than a "camp arm" and temp until Ben comes back.

2. RB-Dwyer may be the steal of this draft and Redman may actually be a player.

3. FB/TE/H-back-The Tank will be given every opportunity to show he can play FB and if he can that probably dooms Redman because the Tank can play both RB and FB. FB will still likely be a TE so don't discount Sean McHugh. Johnson may be costing himself a psoition because he can't catch if his life depended on it. Miller and Spaeth won't be threatened. If he can learn the FB position and show he is a special teams stud (Va Tech pedigree will help), Demetrius Taylor may be the surprise of camp. Everything written about him and his 270lb body has been about what an outstanding athlete he is and how he can catch out of the backfield. But can he block?

4. OL-Most interesting psotion to watch during camp. Hartwig picked bad time to be injured. The rookie (Pouncey) has impressed but will they trust the Center position to a rookie? I doubt it. Huge battle on the interior between Essex, Urbik, Foster and Scott.

5. WR-Got to be concerned Hines couldn't do anything. ARE and battle look like they are up to the support roles they were brought in for. Wallace looks like he could be special but will have to learn to deal with being "the guy." Sanders and Brown may not get lots of reps at WR but the combination could push Logan off the roster.

6. Punter-Grassele will get the requisite hopeful support as the local kid but Sepulveda is safe.

1) Agree.

2) Agree.

3) Summers was given an opportunity at FB last training camp/pre-season and he whiffed on blocks horribly all day long. I don't think his spot this year is secure at all. I know a lot of people are saying Summers can play both HB and FB but i don't think that helps him because i think he kind of sucks at both. He's big but he doesn't really move the pile in short yardage situations and he whiffs on blocks at FB. So how does he helps us? I'd much rather keep a true fullback or TE to block.

4) Agreed.

5) Agreed.

stlrz d
06-13-2010, 10:52 PM
Summers' issue was leaving his feet to make blocks, which is why he whiffed. That can be fixed with coaching him in proper technique.

I'm not worried about Ward. He always takes it easy this time of year.

StarSpangledSteeler
06-14-2010, 08:26 AM
Summers' issue was leaving his feet to make blocks, which is why he whiffed. That can be fixed with coaching him in proper technique.

You don't just become a great blocking fullback by practicing a little technique in training camp. That would be like saying someone can learn to long snap by practicing technique. (ha) It takes years to learn.

flippy
06-14-2010, 08:36 AM
How about Grisham?

steelblood
06-14-2010, 08:36 AM
That would be like saying someone can learn to long snap by practicing technique. (ha) It takes years to learn.

I think you do learn long snapping by practicing technique. It can be mastered in less than a year. There is no jedi training necessary. It is a difficult skill to do with great consistency, but it is not that complicated. If requires repetition and some touch. Every year, plenty of middle school and high school kids learn it quickly and do very well.

Oviedo
06-14-2010, 09:11 AM
How about Grisham?

IMO unless he can be a returner he loses out to Sanders and Brown and goes back on the PS. His opportunity is next year with the potential dropping of one of the following: Hines, ARE or Battle.

Chucktownsteeler
06-14-2010, 11:36 PM
The two players that have caused the most posts without ever having any type of success (or playing time) for the Steelers have to be Sweed and Redman. I would expect Sweed is now done (probably get a injury settlement next off-season) and hope we can soon find out about Redman.

These two players have had more post/ speculation ever written about teo unknowns I can ever think of.

Chucktown

Shawn
06-15-2010, 12:55 AM
Ward does take it easy this time of the year. But, word is his hammys have not completely healed. Ward is very very close to the end. His heart unmatched...but his body has taken a beating. Even without Holmes and Ward I believe Ben can pass. I remember when Brady was looking pretty good with a rag tag squad. I don't think Ben is that far off from Brady at his best. If we do what we need to do in the run game...and set up the pass with the run we will still contend even without Ward.

stlrz d
06-15-2010, 07:43 AM

You don't just become a great blocking fullback by practicing a little technique in training camp. That would be like saying someone can learn to long snap by practicing technique. (ha) It takes years to learn.

You're right. They're exactly the same.

flippy
06-15-2010, 07:44 AM
Ward does take it easy this time of the year. But, word is his hammys have not completely healed. Ward is very very close to the end. His heart unmatched...but his body has taken a beating. Even without Holmes and Ward I believe Ben can pass. I remember when Brady was looking pretty good with a rag tag squad. I don't think Ben is that far off from Brady at his best. If we do what we need to do in the run game...and set up the pass with the run we will still contend even without Ward.

Ben will be fine with Sanders, Brown and Grisham as his top 3 WRs. He can typically manufacture time for below average WRs to get open.

I think Mendy in the passing game will help the passing game significantly.

StarSpangledSteeler
06-16-2010, 04:07 AM
That would be like saying someone can learn to long snap by practicing technique. (ha) It takes years to learn.

I think you do learn long snapping by practicing technique. It can be mastered in less than a year. There is no jedi training necessary. It is a difficult skill to do with great consistency, but it is not that complicated. If requires repetition and some touch. Every year, plenty of middle school and high school kids learn it quickly and do very well.

I agree 100%. I was being sarcastic. Just having a little fun with stlrz d.

StarSpangledSteeler
06-16-2010, 04:12 AM

I agree 100%. I was being sarcastic. Just having a little fun with stlrz d.

Oviedo
06-16-2010, 04:53 PM
Seems like we have everyone signed except for Pouncey and Worilds. I have to wonder if Pouncey is permitted to be at the facility working film or if everyone just stays away.

I can't imagine he can learn enough once camp starts to unseat Hartwig, especially if he doesn't sign until right before camp.