PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tomlin: Rookie Center's Maturity 'Pleasant Surprise'

fordfixer
06-11-2010, 11:58 PM
Steelers' Pouncey Showing Maturity Beyond Years
Mike Tomlin: Rookie Center's Maturity 'Pleasant Surprise'

PITTSBURGH --
http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/spo ... etail.html (http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/sports/23866205/detail.html)

Maurkice Pouncey has yet to play a snap in the NFL, but it appears the Steelers rookie already has the jump on some of his first-round predecessors.

Head coach Mike Tomlin said Thursday that Pouncey, the 18th overall pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, is more mature football-wise than either running back Rashard Mendenhall or linebacker Lawrence Timmons were as rookies drafted in the first round.

"I think he has proven to be mature beyond his years," Tomlin said of Pouncey, who turns 21 next month. "His level of football of maturity probably exceeds that of some 20-year-old first round picks we've had in recent years, like Lawrence Timmons and Rashard Mendenhall."

The Steelers drafted Mendenhall at No. 23 in 2008 and took Timmons at No. 15 in 2007.

Pouncey, who Tomlin called a "pleasant surprise," will get the chance to start on the Steelers offensive line this season, most likely at right guard, but possibly at center.

Pouncey played right guard at the University of Florida before moving to center for the Gators.

He was awarded the Rimington Trophy in 2009, which is given to the player considered to be the best center in college football.

Shawn
06-12-2010, 01:00 AM
Pouncey will be one of those guys who everyone will say they loved him before the draft. :D

hawaiiansteel
06-12-2010, 01:16 AM
Pouncey will be one of those guys who everyone will say they loved him before the draft. :D

I loved Pouncey before the draft... :D

NJ-STEELER
06-12-2010, 04:03 AM
anyone else think pounce and big baby on the celtics look alike

Ozey74
06-12-2010, 09:36 AM
This is good news! Between the mess with Ben, Santonio, Troy's injury, and the crappy pass D in the 4th quarter, the Steelers are due for a plesant surprise. Mike Wallace is also what I call a 'pleasant surprise'

:Beer

RuthlessBurgher
06-12-2010, 10:35 AM

I think Maurkice Pouncey looks more like Mike Pouncey than Glen Davis. :wink:

http://photos.newsok.com/2/showimage/532644/lead620/ http://www.glendavis.org/images/glen-davis-pic5.jpg

NJ-STEELER
06-12-2010, 01:24 PM
i think both look like big baby :Cheers

birtikidis
06-13-2010, 12:39 AM

I loved Pouncey before the draft... :D

not me I've always been skeptical

RuthlessBurgher
06-13-2010, 01:05 AM

Unless he does not start from day one and make the Pro Bowl as a rookie. Then he will inevitably be Bustkice Pouncey. :wink:

birtikidis
06-13-2010, 01:29 AM

Unless he does not start from day one and make the Pro Bowl as a rookie. Then he will inevitably be Bustkice Pouncey. :wink:
they'll say that we should bouncey Pouncey out of towney. haha.
ok pathetic attempt at humor.

steelz09
06-13-2010, 02:07 AM
I really hope he starts at center.

I think that we have a few decent guys and have some depth at RG. Center is the weakest link by far.

If we can have Pouncey start at center then our offensive line would be much improved.

And plus, think of the competition at RG going into camp (in no particular order):

1) Essex
2) Foster
3) Urbik
4) Pouncey
5) Legursky

Hopefully, Pouncey outright wins the center battle and the other 4 fight for RG.

Shawn
06-13-2010, 02:43 AM
Not sure I am comfortable with a rookie calling the blocking assignments.

Discipline of Steel
06-13-2010, 07:58 AM
I really hope he starts at center.

Hopefully, Pouncey outright wins the center battle and the other 4 fight for RG.

Hartwigs shoulder is an omen.

steelblood
06-13-2010, 09:38 AM
It was about a year or two ago that Ben began calling the majority of the blocking assignments. Does he still do this? If so, it would take some pressure off a rookie starting.

Oviedo
06-13-2010, 09:47 AM
It was about a year or two ago that Ben began calling the majority of the blocking assignments. Does he still do this? If so, it would take some pressure off a rookie starting.

He started two years ago and I'm not sure some of the OL problems aren't because of this. I know when Hartings was here he called all the blocks.

You have to keep in mind though that a big part of the OL pass blocking issues are on Ben and his moving around the pocket and out of the pocket. Everytime he moves he changes the attack angle that the pass rushers are taking. The pass rushers see it because they are looking at Ben. The OL doesn't because their backs are to Ben and this gives the pass rushers the initiative and the OL must react.

It will be interesting to see what happens the first four games with Leftwich in there because he doesn't move out of the pocket. Even he made a comment that the OL is going to know exactly where he is at. I predict the OL will actually perform better.

feltdizz
06-13-2010, 10:38 AM
Great point Oviedo. I think this is why Ben is quick to take the blame for some of the sacks. The number of sacks the last few years have been disturbing. I think Hartwigs shoulder injury, along with a new OL coach and Ben out for the first 4 games is the perfect storm for Pouncey to call the blocking if he wins the Center position.

NJ-STEELER
06-13-2010, 02:01 PM

He started two years ago and I'm not sure some of the OL problems aren't because of this. I know when Hartings was here he called all the blocks.

You have to keep in mind though that a big part of the OL pass blocking issues are on Ben and his moving around the pocket and out of the pocket. Everytime he moves he changes the attack angle that the pass rushers are taking. The pass rushers see it because they are looking at Ben. The OL doesn't because their backs are to Ben and this gives the pass rushers the initiative and the OL must react.

It will be interesting to see what happens the first four games with Leftwich in there because he doesn't move out of the pocket. Even he made a comment that the OL is going to know exactly where he is at. I predict the OL will actually perform better.

doesn't seem to effect the tennesse OL too much with young in there who probably moves around more then ben.

then again their OL is probably one of the top units of the game

stlrz d
06-13-2010, 10:36 PM

doesn't seem to effect the tennesse OL too much with young in there who probably moves around more then ben.

Good point.

Steelers>NFL
06-14-2010, 09:05 AM

Why, Ben does not follow the blocking assignments anyway.

Beside, the kid for the Jets started @ center as a rookie two years ago.
He is doing just fine I'd say.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
06-14-2010, 10:09 AM

Not really, but he does look like the guard who is still on U of F. :lol:

Slapstick
06-14-2010, 10:40 AM
Ben Moves around behind the line of scrimmage, improvising, requiring the O-Line to maintain their blocks while he looks downfield (not at the defenders) to make a throw...

When Vince Young moves around, he doesn't hang out behind the line of scrimmage looking to make a throw...he's looking for an opening to run...

feltdizz
06-14-2010, 10:43 AM

VY is much faster than Ben.

ikestops85
06-14-2010, 10:53 AM

Why, Ben does not follow the blocking assignments anyway.

Beside, the kid for the Jets started @ center as a rookie two years ago.
He is doing just fine I'd say.

and Mack started for the Stains last year and did well

NJ-STEELER
06-14-2010, 04:58 PM
what about Romo then?

who has been sacked around 20 less times per year the last 2 years

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
06-15-2010, 09:12 AM
Pouncey started at two positions beginning his freshman season. Both Timmons and Mendenhall were only one year starters in college.

I would expect MP to be more of a finished product than either of the other two.

flippy
06-15-2010, 09:23 AM
A lot of the hits on Ben come on guys that go practically unblocked. He gets hit quickly a lot.

And then he holds the ball a lot because his receivers don't get open quickly and he chooses not to dump it off in these situations.

I really think Mendy can help him significantly.

NJ-STEELER
06-15-2010, 04:58 PM
A lot of the hits on Ben come on guys that go practically unblocked. He gets hit quickly a lot.

thank you

thats what i'm getting at.

improve the OL, and the sacks will go down... although, it will never be close to the least amount allowed in the league with ben's style. still no reason it couldn't be cut in half 25-30 and have pretty much the same style

2 years ago Tenn gave up 12 the whole year with collins. last year they gave up 50% more with young at QB for half the year (18) so young IS getting sacked more, moving around...but they still gave up less then 20 sacks on the year

feltdizz
06-15-2010, 07:09 PM
Ben doesn't mind taking sacks. Aaron Rodgers is the same way.

other QB's like Manning and Warner will do whatever they need to NOT to take a sack. Ben takes sacks when he could easily throw it away. That's just his style.

It would be nice to see Ben take 25 sacks in a season but this is the same guy who was carted off in a meaningless Cleveland game.... the guy doesn't mind contact.

flippy
06-15-2010, 07:38 PM

other QB's like Manning and Warner will do whatever they need to NOT to take a sack. Ben takes sacks when he could easily throw it away. That's just his style.

It would be nice to see Ben take 25 sacks in a season but this is the same guy who was carted off in a meaningless Cleveland game.... the guy doesn't mind contact.

i don't think anyone disagrees. he just doesn't need to get hit as quickly as he can hand off the ball.

i think cutting the sacks in half with better line play should be a reasonable goal.

NJ-STEELER
06-15-2010, 10:14 PM

i don't think anyone disagrees. he just doesn't need to get hit as quickly as he can hand off the ball.

i think cutting the sacks in half with better line play should be a reasonable goal.

i think it also plays into him scrambling more then we want him/the staff wants him to.

he is looking for that defender to come free because he kind of expects it.
give him consistent 3-4 seconds in the pocket and he's more likely to sit there and wait for a route to progress then bail out the instant his 1st read isn't open like we've seen so many times

AkronSteel
06-15-2010, 11:05 PM
The kid will be starting at Center come week one!!! Mark my words!!! Starting OL will look as such!

LT: Max Starks
LG: Chris Kemoeatu
C: Maurkice Pouncey
RG: Ramon Foster
RT: Willie Colon

:2c

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
06-16-2010, 09:47 AM

And then he holds the ball a lot because his receivers don't get open quickly and he chooses not to dump it off in these situations.

I really think Mendy can help him significantly.

I agree flippy, and a lot of those come when the D has more men rushing than the O line has blocking. That would indicate that whoever is calling out the protection should recognize that and make sure that more blockers are kept in.

SteelAbility
06-16-2010, 10:34 AM

Pouncey is a little better looking, especially around the mid-section! :D

SteelAbility
06-16-2010, 10:37 AM
The kid will be starting at Center come week one!!! Mark my words!!! Starting OL will look as such!

LT: Max Starks
LG: Chris Kemoeatu
C: Maurkice Pouncey
RG: Ramon Foster
RT: Willie Colon

:2c

Agreed. I just loved this guy before the Draft! :tt2 :wink: Iupati is going to end up being a total bust before it's over. :Binky