PDA

View Full Version : Worthington Becomes 2nd Steelers Rookie To Sign

hawaiiansteel
06-11-2010, 02:52 PM
Doug Worthington Becomes Second Pittsburgh Steelers Rookie To Sign

by Michael Bean on Jun 10, 2010

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/422886/31896_navy_ohio_st_football.jpg

9 months ago: Ohio State's Doug Worthington, center, is congratulated by teammates after recovering a Navy fumble during the fourth quarter of an NCAA college football game Saturday, Sept. 5, 2009, in Columbus, Ohio. (AP Photo/Jay LaPrete)

Earlier in the day, we learned that fourth round defensive end/outside linebacker Thaddeus Gibson had signed a three-year rookie deal. Most recently, seventh round defensive lineman Doug Worthington agreed to a three-year contract that will pay him $1.25 million, but not much up front (reportedly a $33k signing bonus). We can get an idea of Gibson's deal by looking at Worthington's - both are three years, but with Gibson being drafted three rounds higher, he probably got somewhere in the $1.7-$2.0 million range.

I hate to do this often, but I have a 'feeling' that Worthington may pan out quite nicely for a 7th round pick. I say a 'feeling' because I haven't exactly studied hours and hours of tape of him during his solid career at Ohio State. He just looks like he's big, sturdy and durable guy who will be able to handle gap clogging duties very nicely.

Congratulations to Mr. Worthington on the achievement! Not even sure what $33,000 buys you these days, but hell, beats logging hours at a desk. Welcome to the family officially!

Poll:

In 2010, Doug Worthington will....

A) Break camp and occasionally dress throughout the year

B) Be delegated to the practice squad

C) Be in search of a new team after being cut by the Steelers this summer

D) Be part of LeBeau's rotation of backups and even start a game or two in place of an injured starter

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... mes-second (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2010/6/10/1512383/doug-worthington-becomes-second)

flippy
06-11-2010, 02:53 PM
A

plainnasty
06-11-2010, 02:55 PM
A also

hawaiiansteel
06-11-2010, 03:13 PM
flippy and plainnasty,

i edited the error, but you are still a: :lol:

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad186/rjbgirl/smileys/7fda78aa.gif

yet another reason why i like you both so much! :Cheers

Shawn
06-11-2010, 04:05 PM
I think Worthington has a very strong shot at making this squad. I doubt he will be cut. If the numbers don't flow right he might hit the PS. But, I really believe this kid can play the 3-4 DE at a high level in the NFL.

SidSmythe
06-11-2010, 04:48 PM
You know what boggles my mind???

Why it takes so long for low round picks to sign!?!?!

If I were drafted in the late round, I'd fly the next day to Pittsburgh and walk in the front office and say...
"OK, lets make this simple. I'm SidSmythe, you drafted me yesterday at #201 in the NFL Draft. Last year, the #201 got paid a 3 yr deal worth X dollars w/ a signing bonus of X dollars. Add a 3% inflation rider to those numbers ... So here is my soc. sec card, my birth certificate ... please whip up a contract and cut me a check for X dollars for my signing bonus and I'll be at work next week for Mini-Camp"

StarSpangledSteeler
06-11-2010, 08:09 PM
I think Worthington has a very strong shot at making this squad. I doubt he will be cut. If the numbers don't flow right he might hit the PS. But, I really believe this kid can play the 3-4 DE at a high level in the NFL.

You know it's ironic how Steeler fans, Steeler coaches, Steeler F.O., and Steeler players, all rave about how Aaron Smith is the "key to our defense", the "most underrated DE in the NFL", the "perfect prototype for a 3-4 DE", and yet we never draft anyone that resembles him physically. We draft guys like Hood, Sunny Harris, McBean, Orien Harris, Nua, Adibi, and then we wonder why they don't work out. How about drafting guys like Worthington who are 6'5" with long arms and a strong base? Then take a chance on seeing if they can learn the hand fighting, technique, etc.? I'm not saying Worthington will be a sure thing but at least he looks like he could. If shows any talent at all, don't put him on the practice squad. Keisel was a 6th rounder and now he's starting. Give Worthington a shot.

buckeyehoppy
06-12-2010, 01:23 AM
Doug Worthington Becomes Second Pittsburgh Steelers Rookie To Sign

by Michael Bean on Jun 10, 2010

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/422886/31896_navy_ohio_st_football.jpg

9 months ago: Ohio State's Doug Worthington, center, is congratulated by teammates after recovering a Navy fumble during the fourth quarter of an NCAA college football game Saturday, Sept. 5, 2009, in Columbus, Ohio. (AP Photo/Jay LaPrete)

Earlier in the day, we learned that fourth round defensive end/outside linebacker Thaddeus Gibson had signed a three-year rookie deal. Most recently, seventh round defensive lineman Doug Worthington agreed to a three-year contract that will pay him $1.25 million, but not much up front (reportedly a $33k signing bonus). We can get an idea of Gibson's deal by looking at Worthington's - both are three years, but with Gibson being drafted three rounds higher, he probably got somewhere in the $1.7-$2.0 million range.

I hate to do this often, but I have a 'feeling' that Worthington may pan out quite nicely for a 7th round pick. I say a 'feeling' because I haven't exactly studied hours and hours of tape of him during his solid career at Ohio State. He just looks like he's big, sturdy and durable guy who will be able to handle gap clogging duties very nicely.

Congratulations to Mr. Worthington on the achievement! Not even sure what $33,000 buys you these days, but hell, beats logging hours at a desk. Welcome to the family officially!

Poll:

In 2010, Doug Worthington will....

A) Break camp and occasionally dress throughout the year

B) Be delegated to the practice squad

C) Be in search of a new team after being cut by the Steelers this summer

D) Be part of LeBeau's rotation of backups and even start a game or two in place of an injured starter

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... mes-second (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2010/6/10/1512383/doug-worthington-becomes-second)

Call me the ultimate tOSU homer. But, I'm going with D. Although, I'll qualify that by saying that he prolly won't start any games. He will have a learning curve. But I'd look for him to be a possible starter by year 3 in the league. I think he will rise to the level of his competition for a spot on this team and he has a great work ethic. And he will be learning from some of the best as he plays next to them. That alone will be a huge plus for DW.

focosteeler
06-12-2010, 03:11 AM

You know it's ironic how Steeler fans, Steeler coaches, Steeler F.O., and Steeler players, all rave about how Aaron Smith is the "key to our defense", the "most underrated DE in the NFL", the "perfect prototype for a 3-4 DE", and yet we never draft anyone that resembles him physically. We draft guys like Hood, Sunny Harris, McBean, Orien Harris, Nua, Adibi, and then we wonder why they don't work out. How about drafting guys like Worthington who are 6'5" with long arms and a strong base? Then take a chance on seeing if they can learn the hand fighting, technique, etc.? I'm not saying Worthington will be a sure thing but at least he looks like he could. If shows any talent at all, don't put him on the practice squad. Keisel was a 6th rounder and now he's starting. Give Worthington a shot.

i have been wondering the same thing... ever since smith got hurt in '07 i have been wondering when they would bring someone in that was like a clone of him to train up...i guess maybe there just wasn't anyone they liked??

RuthlessBurgher
06-12-2010, 10:03 AM

Actually, Keisel was a 7th rounder, just like Worthington (in fact, they were both take with the 242nd pick in their respective drafts...eery, isn't it?).

Shawn
06-12-2010, 11:49 PM
I believe Keisel brings a touch more athleticism to the table. But, Worthington is a load. He is VERY strong at the POA. I believe he will also be a better run stopper. Worthington is very good at run stopping and swallowing linemen. I could see him having a very quiet career that doesn't get fully recongnized by fans. But, I think he could become a coaching favorite.

steelblood
06-13-2010, 09:44 AM
IF we keep seven D-linemen, he'll have a great shot to make the team. Essentially, he'll only have to beat out Sunny Harris and some UDFAs. If we keep 6, he'll go to the PS and they will keep Eason, I believe. The Steelers love those vet backups who have been in the system for years.

Oviedo
06-13-2010, 09:54 AM
I believe Keisel brings a touch more athleticism to the table. But, Worthington is a load. He is VERY strong at the POA. I believe he will also be a better run stopper. Worthington is very good at run stopping and swallowing linemen. I could see him having a very quiet career that doesn't get fully recongnized by fans. But, I think he could become a coaching favorite.

By all accounts Kiesel is a freak athletically for someone his size. he is reportedly very fast and quick which is why he starred on special teams and has been the team leader in QB pressures the past three seasons. I don't expect Worthington fits that mold from what I have seen.

Worthington, Harris and Eason are fighting for two positions. I have to think that Harris makes this team because they tried to hide him on the PS last year and lost him to Carolina and then as soon as they got the chance they grabbed him and brought him back on the active roster. I recall Mitchell being very high on him last year.

That leaves Worthington and Eason to battle it out for the last spot. Eason has the experience in the scheme and is a vastly improved player compared to three years ago. Worthington has the youth but does have the advanatage that OSU plays a defense most like the Steelers.

My prediction: Eason wins and Worthington goes to the PS.

hawaiiansteel
06-17-2010, 05:44 PM
Actually, Keisel was a 7th rounder, just like Worthington (in fact, they were both take with the 242nd pick in their respective drafts...eery, isn't it?).

that is an eery coincidence, isn't it?

http://i446.photobucket.com/albums/qq189/Qatmandu/twilight_zone.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
06-17-2010, 06:08 PM
It's the Twilight Zone Blitz, with Dick LeBeau playing the role of Rod Serling. Brett Keisel and Doug Worthington are the Towers of Terror. When they get through with you, you will feel like you were dropped from the 7th floor 242 times.

Sadly, if you mention Twilight Zone today, most kids will think you are talking about teenage vampires and werewolves (there was probably a Twilight Zone episode about that...however, it likely wouldn't get pre-pubescent girls in a tizzy about who is on Team Brett and who is on Team Doug).