PDA

View Full Version : Thaddeus Gibson gets three-year deal with Steelers

fordfixer
06-11-2010, 02:11 AM
June 10, 2010, 03:31 PM EST
Thaddeus Gibson gets three-year deal with Steelers
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Sou ... elers.html (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-Thaddeus-Gibson-gets-threeyear-deal-with-Steelers.html)

Pittsburgh Steelers rookie outside linebacker Thaddeus Gibson has agreed to terms on a three-year deal worth $1.58 million, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation.

That includes a $366,000 signing bonus for the fourth round draft pick from Ohio State.

It's rare for a draft pick to receive a three-year contract nowadays with most teams preferring to negotiate four-year pacts.

Gibson primarily played defensive end at Ohio State, but the 6-foot-2, 243-pounder played linebacker in high school.

Last season, he was named second-team All-Big Ten Conference as he led the Buckeyes with 13 tackles for losses and ranked second on the team with four sacks.

He also forced two fumbles, recovered two fumbles and intercepted one pass.

The Steelers displayed a lot of interest in Gibson at his Pro Day workout where he ran the 40-yard dash in the low 4.6 range. Steelers vice president of football operations Kevin Colbert and defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau attended the workout.

Gibson is looking forward to playing linebacker in the NFL.

"It's truly the position I love the most," Gibson said during the NFL scouting combine. "I'm excited to hear the talk about me going back to linebacker, honestly, but I don't mind playing defensive end, either. I'm just excited about the opportunity and ready to go."

In 2008, Gibson registered five sacks and nine tackles for losses.

For his career, he recorded 10 sacks and 25 tackles for losses.

He decided to leave school after his junior season to help his family with medical expenses when the NFL draft advisory board gave him a second-round grade.

Oviedo
06-11-2010, 07:45 AM
Kinda strange that the first draftee to sign is the one who has missed all of the OTAs because of the stupid NFL/NCAA rule on schools that are on the quarter system.

Maybe that is why he got three years versus the typical four. He has a lot of catching up to do and being signed lets him be at the facilities working with the coaches between now and the start of training camp.

JTP53609
06-11-2010, 08:24 AM
WOW!! thats a low price..
actually it is what I expected I just wanted to be like that guy from the staples commercial..

steelblood
06-11-2010, 09:06 AM
We usually sign our 2nd round to a four year deal. For 3rd-7th rounders, we usually do 3 year deals.

calmkiller
06-11-2010, 09:09 AM
Our 7th rounder signed last night....or agreed. It was on Steelers Depot. Doug Worthington or whatever his name is.

plainnasty
06-11-2010, 09:15 AM
We usually sign our 2nd round to a four year deal. For 3rd-7th rounders, we usually do 3 year deals.
That's what I was thinking.

RuthlessBurgher
06-11-2010, 09:23 AM
Our 7th rounder signed last night....or agreed. It was on Steelers Depot. Doug Worthington or whatever his name is.

Yup. Both Buckeyes are signed, sealed, and delivered. I wonder who gets cut to make room for the newly signed rooks (since we have 90 guys on the roster and can only bring 80 to camp in Latrobe at the end of July).

Source: Steelers sign Doug Worthington to three-year deal
Defensive lineman agrees to three-year deal
June 11, 2010, 06:05 AM EST

The Pittsburgh Steelers have signed seventh-round rookie defensive tackle Doug Worthington to a three-year deal with a total base value of nearly $1.25 million, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation.

Worthington received a signing bonus in excess of $33,000 and base salaries of $320,000, $405,000 and $490,000.

Worthington registered 103 career tackles, 12 for losses and 4 1/2 sacks at Ohio State.

Drafted 242nd overall, Worthington is an athletic 6-foot-5, 292-pounder who posted 42 tackles and two sacks last season.

Worthington ran the 40-yard dash in 5.02 seconds, also turning in a 35 1/2 vertical leap and a 10-01 broad jump.

Worthington played in the East-West Shrine all-star game.

He was an honorable-mention All-Big Ten Conference selection last season.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-Steelers-sign-Doug-Worthington-to-threeyear-deal.html

flippy
06-11-2010, 12:24 PM

I KNOW!!!!!!!

JTP53609
06-11-2010, 01:15 PM

I KNOW!!!!!!!

haha

Jigawatts
06-11-2010, 01:19 PM
I've always been a fan of people named Thaddeus.

JTP53609
06-11-2010, 01:46 PM

you liked thaddeus bruschi??... :)

Jigawatts
06-11-2010, 01:56 PM

you liked thaddeus bruschi??... :)

http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/strollerderby/2008/06/16-22/throw_up.jpg

flippy
06-11-2010, 01:56 PM

Jude Thaddius, brother of Jesus and one of the apostles is the patron saint of lost causes.

James Farrior is a lost cause in coverage.

See the connection?

James Farrior's Coverage starts with the letters JFC.

I've heard my brother say JFC when Farrior blows another coverage.