PDA

View Full Version : Colon has cloudy future with Steelers

fordfixer
06-09-2010, 12:08 AM
Colon has cloudy future with Steelers
By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, June 9, 2010
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 85055.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_685055.html)

Joe Linta, the agent for right tackle Willie Colon, said he doesn't believe his client will ever secure a long-term contract with the Steelers.

Colon, a restricted free agent who signed a $2.5 million tender for this season, is destined to play for another NFL team in another year or two, according to Linta.

The Steelers have two more days of offseason practices this week before breaking until the opening of training camp July 30.

"Willie obviously loves Pittsburgh. He would love staying there for the long-term. But as of right now, they have not made any decisions that they want him there long-term," Linta said.

A fourth-round draft pick in 2006, Colon has emerged as the Steelers' most dependable offensive lineman. He is the only blocker to start every game under coach Mike Tomlin 54 consecutive starts, including the playoffs.

Colon's backup is veteran Jonathan Scott, who has 14 career starts with Buffalo and Detroit. This is Scott's first season with the Steelers, who drafted rookie tackle Chris Scott no relation to Jonathan this year in the fifth round.

"Jonathan's role will be very similar to what it was in Buffalo," said offensive line coach Sean Kugler, who was Jonathan Scott's position coach with the Bills. "Jonathan started some games at left tackle. He also started some games at right tackle. ... So having the value of being able to play both and be effective at both gives him a good chance."

It is Linta's contention that while he believes Colon ranks among the top right tackles in the NFL, the Steelers don't share his opinion in terms of presenting a contract in line with Colon's production level.

Linta said there haven't been any negotiations about a new contract for Colon -- and no talks are planned between Linta and negotiator Omar Khan.

"Omar and I have exchanged recipes over the year, but we've never talked about Willie's contract," Linta said.

Per club policy, the Steelers don't discuss the status of contract negotiations with their players.

"It's pretty obvious to people that know football that Willie, if he's not the best, he's among the top three right tackles in the league," Linta said.

As for the difference in opinion in Colon's value, Linta said he isn't upset with the Steelers, who can still sign Colon to a long-term deal.

"I'm not upset. Willie's not upset. That's the choice they made and I'm respectful of it, and so is Willie," Linta said. "They're not doing anything wrong. They're allowed to not call us."

Because the 2010 season is an uncapped year, there will be uncertainly in 2011 about Colon's status as a free agent.

If a new collective bargaining agreement isn't reached by March 1, Colon again will be a restricted free agent in 2011. However, if an agreement is reached at a later time, it isn't known if Colon will become an unrestricted free agent or retain his restricted status.

"The ball's in their court," Linta said of the Steelers. "The ball's only in Willie's court when he becomes a free agent."

Note: The Steelers signed veteran long snapper and linebacker Matt Stewart to a one-year contract and released long snapper Jared Retkofsky. Drafted as a linebacker by Atlanta in the fourth round in 2001, Stewart is a six-year veteran who played for Cleveland in 2005-07. He was in the Cardinals' and Cowboys' training camps the past two seasons.

plainnasty
06-09-2010, 12:24 AM
That's just Joe Linta doing his job. It's a lot of hot air.

LordVile
06-09-2010, 01:38 AM
That's just Joe Linta doing his job. It's a lot of hot air.

You got that right, it's like when RYAN CLARK's agent was talking him up about being an elite Safety and this and that... I guess it's his job to promote him, but he ain't foolin nobody.

I don't care for COLON. RECTUM or wutever, he's average at best IMO and he was the one getting alot of penalties called on him at the worst of times. I won't lose sleep if he is gone.

StarSpangledSteeler
06-09-2010, 01:41 AM
I don't hate Colon as much as I used to but the fact is he is just an average right tackle, and I don't think he believes that. He is a below average pass protector. And slightly above average run blocker. Even if we do end up re-signing him for a fair price it inhibits us from developing some of our younger talent. Let's see what we've got in Foster and the two Scotts first.

hawaiiansteel
06-09-2010, 02:49 AM
the Steelers have no urgency to sign Colon, there is a high likelihood he will be a RFA for the next two seasons and we can retain his services at a reasonable tender price without having to pay him as "one of the Top-3 RTs in the league".

http://community.post-gazette.com/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.PostAttachments/00.00.10.71.10/HPIM1151.JPG_2D00_500x400.jpg

flippy
06-09-2010, 08:10 AM
I wonder if the fact that he was in Ben's entourage when Ben got his 4-6 game suspension will impact Colon's long term with the Steelers?

stlrz d
06-09-2010, 08:13 AM
I wonder if the fact that he was in Ben's entourage when Ben got his 4-6 game suspension will impact Colon's long term with the Steelers?

Absolutely, positively 100% it will.

/end sarcasm

Oviedo
06-09-2010, 08:17 AM

I doubt if it has a direct issue, but it may cause the Steelers to look really close at where Colon hangs out.

I also think that the Steelers know they can tag him at least one more year after this season plus they may have someone like Ramon Foster on the roster who they think can develop into a a RT.

A little off topic but I don't think Ciron Black the big OT out of LSU has ever signed with anyone. I know the Steelers were looking at him as an UDFA. Can't figure that one out but I know at least half a dozen teams were going after him.

fezziwig
06-09-2010, 08:24 AM

I did wonder the same thing and you never know. The Rooneys might want to allow the fact that Colon isn't that good with the plus side of watering down Bens life style.

It's like when someone is trying to get off crack, you don't continue running around with crack heads.

Not saying these guys are crack heads or any blame should go on Colon. The Steeler might think it is an upside to Ben if his past relationships fade away.

As everyone has mentioned, Colon isn't worth much and the Steelers are not stupid. If he goes, so be it and I won't look back to losing him.

Oviedo
06-09-2010, 10:21 AM
Willie Colon = Leon Searcy. We lost Searcy and didn't miss a beat. We can lose Colon and do the same. With Starks' contract and with a rookie OL 1st Round pick yet to sign the Steelers are not going to allocate a disportionate percentage of their salary structure to the OL.

I think Colon is good but he is not a All Pro and can be replaced.

I have great hopes that Sean Kugler can take guys like Foster and Urbik and maybe even Hills to the next level and make this a moot point.

StarSpangledSteeler
06-09-2010, 12:18 PM
I have great hopes that Sean Kugler can take guys like Foster and Urbik and maybe even Hills to the next level and make this a moot point.

That's a very good point. OL is so much about technique. A lot of these young guys have gotten away with poor technique in college because of their sheer size and strength. If Kugler can focus his training on their hands and positioning and leverage, we might find a couple of very serviceable starters. Many many interior OL pro-bowlers have come out of the middle to late rounds.