PDA

View Full Version : Polamalu back for final week of practices

NKySteeler
06-08-2010, 11:15 PM
Taken from Scott Brown's blog, View From The Press Box....
--------------------
Polamalu back for final week of practices
June 8th, 2010

Say this for Troy Polamalu: his timing is as good off the football field as it on it.

The Pro Bowl strong safety returned for the Steelers’ final week of practices but the drudgery part of off-season drills effectively ended last Thursday.

The Steelers went bowling Tuesday and, weather permitting, they will have a walk through Wednesday at Heinz Field. It is essentially a chance for the rookies and other new players to get acclimated to their home stadium.

The practice — and the mood — also figures to be light Thursday.

Coach Mike Tomlin traditionally allows the players to wear hats instead of helmets for the Steelers’ final practice of the off-season, and they usually aren’t on the field for much more than an hour.

It is probably not a coincidence that Polamalu, who had been training in California, picked this week to get some work in with the Steelers.

Polamalu has never made any secret that he doesn’t have much use for off-season practices, most of which are voluntary. His absence from them — he attended mini camp, which is mandatory — is annually one of the most overblown stories of the spring.

They are, again, voluntary, and Polamalu has always arrived at training camp in shape. Given his body of work, he has earned the right to train however he sees fit during the off-season.

Anyone think Polamalu missing most of the off-season practices is a big deal?

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-t...ss+Box+Blog%29

LordVile
06-08-2010, 11:59 PM
Taken from Scott Brown's blog, View From The Press Box....
--------------------
Polamalu back for final week of practices
June 8th, 2010

Say this for Troy Polamalu: his timing is as good off the football field as it on it.

The Pro Bowl strong safety returned for the Steelers’ final week of practices but the drudgery part of off-season drills effectively ended last Thursday.

The Steelers went bowling Tuesday and, weather permitting, they will have a walk through Wednesday at Heinz Field. It is essentially a chance for the rookies and other new players to get acclimated to their home stadium.

The practice — and the mood — also figures to be light Thursday.

Coach Mike Tomlin traditionally allows the players to wear hats instead of helmets for the Steelers’ final practice of the off-season, and they usually aren’t on the field for much more than an hour.

It is probably not a coincidence that Polamalu, who had been training in California, picked this week to get some work in with the Steelers.

Polamalu has never made any secret that he doesn’t have much use for off-season practices, most of which are voluntary. His absence from them — he attended mini camp, which is mandatory — is annually one of the most overblown stories of the spring.

They are, again, voluntary, and Polamalu has always arrived at training camp in shape. Given his body of work, he has earned the right to train however he sees fit during the off-season.

Anyone think Polamalu missing most of the off-season practices is a big deal?

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-t...ss+Box+Blog%29

I don't think it's that big of a deal. Bret Favre misses up until the last month.. I say let Troy train the way he wants to and be with his family. No sense in him getting injured early or re-aggravating his knee. He's a god on the field and knows all there is to know.

Oviedo
06-09-2010, 09:41 AM
Established high performing veterans don't need OTAs. This is about teaching and becoming more acquainted with young players. Unless you are implementing an entire new scheme I could really care less if the veteran starters are there at all. Rookies and first and second year players who want to take the next step...then yes they should be there.

flippy
06-09-2010, 03:56 PM
I think Troy should be there working out until he can prove his workout can curb injuries. Could Troy's injuries be workout related? If I invested so much in the guy, I'd want a say in his workouts.

costanza2k1
06-09-2010, 04:26 PM
As long as he's there for training camp that's all that matters to me. If he can do his own workouts and bring these results....I'm good
http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0901/nfl.conference.championships/images/troy-polamalu.jpg

hawaiiansteel
06-13-2010, 02:39 AM
Troy Polamalu returned to the Steelers on Tuesday to finish the final week of OTAs. He has been training near Los Angeles with Marv Marinovich, his trainer for nearly a decade, back to his days when he was playing at Southern Cal. Polamalu attended the early two OTAs, and their three-day minicamp but left for nearly five weeks before he returns.

Although it's been the third straight year Polamalu has followed that routine, coach Mike Tomlin sounded irked about it at one point this spring. "I didn't realize he wasn't here, thanks," Tomlin said sarcastically when asked about him in mid-May. "I tend to focus on the guys who are here. That's probably a good focus to have ... as a coach you can be a miserable person worried about the ones who aren't."

http://pigskinlovinglady.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/0303_troy_polamalu_ramey-1.jpg

Polamalu, however, said he would not have trained in California without his coach's permission. "There's no question if I didn't have his permission to leave I would definitely be here," Polamalu said. "But I think there's a fine line of how much football stuff you can get done at this time and also getting healthy. I didn't play too much last year and that's my No. 1 focus." Marinovich's training program is non-traditional and involves little weightlifting. Polamalu has alternated in the spring, sometimes staying in California with Marinovich and a couple of times remaining with his teammates in Pittsburgh in the spring. This is the third straight spring he has stayed most of the time in California. He returned to the West Coast in 2008 after a couple of leg injuries marred his 2007 season. He did not miss a game in 2008 when the Steelers won a Super Bowl.

Last season, however, he missed 11 games to separate injuries to the same knee, sprained MCL and then sprained PCL. He does not blame his knee injuries on his alternative training. "What's been kind of tough, of my injuries, it's all been kind of wrong place at the wrong time," Polamalu said. "Anytime I've sustained any injury the only thing that could have stopped it is wearing a straight-leg brace." He says he will not wear one this season.

http://steelershotline.com/coverstory.html

Chucktownsteeler
06-13-2010, 07:53 AM
I don't have any problem with Troy training out west. His injury last season came from about 350 lbs. of Alge Crumpler falling on the side of his knee. No type of training would have prevented this injury, save not having him playing special teams on FG attempts.

Chucktown

:2c