PDA

View Full Version : Frank Summers happy to be hard at work

hawaiiansteel
06-08-2010, 09:38 PM
Happy to be hard at work

By Teresa Varley – Steelers.com

http://www4.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Pittsburgh+Steelers+Practice+Facility+hbRZiH5ZKrQl .jpg

There probably isn’t anyone happier to be taking part in the Steelers OTA’s than running back Frank Summers. After missing almost all of the 2009 season with a back injury, Summers is thrilled to be on the field again, running, cutting, sweating and practicing.
“It feels great,” said Summers. “It’s a blessing and a great opportunity for me. I am excited to take the field with the team, go back and work again and interact with the team again. I was gone for the year. It’s different being on IR. You are not contributing any more. You feel like you are just hanging around. I am very excited to be back.”

Summers, the team’s fifth-round draft pick in 2009 out of UNLV, played in just two games last season before eventually being placed on injured reserve. It certainly wasn’t the way he envisioned his rookie season playing out.
“Mentally it was tough,” admitted Summers. “Coach (Mike) Tomlin talked to me about you can’t control injuries. It’s something that comes with the game. There is no sense in beating yourself up anymore. I was just rolling with the punches. Those are the cards I was dealt last year and there was nothing I could do to change it. All I could do was prepare myself and get mentally and physically prepared for this year.”

When the voluntary offseason workouts kicked off this year Summers was one of the first players on hand, arriving well in advance of the OTAs.

“It was very important to come in and get a jump start on the OTAs and training camp,” said Summers. “We did a lot of blitz pickup, went through some run plays, things like that. It was valuable for me to be here and go through things mentally and now physically doing it on the field.”

While he wasn’t playing he did try to get into the playbook as much as possible, but like with most things learning it was one thing, getting the repetitions is another and with that lacking, it was tough.

“It was pretty tough to try and visualize it while not being out there,” said the young running back. “I am more of a visual learner. Just looking at it on paper didn’t help me. Now that I am out here physically doing it, it’s helping me tremendously.
“It’s 100 percent different from OTAs last year. Last year I didn’t know what I was doing. If I was doing something right, I didn’t even know it. This year I know what I am doing, what I am looking at. Now it’s critiquing the little things. I am detailing every little thing. That is where I am mentally and physically I am feeling good, as good as I have felt in a long time.”

http://www.steelers.com/

http://www.steelersgab.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/frank-summers.jpg

Oviedo
06-09-2010, 08:09 AM
I hope Summers has a great camp and solidifies his position in the backfield.

Steelers>NFL
06-09-2010, 08:26 AM
Looking forward to see what this kid can do this coming season.
Hopefully he makes progress and steps up.

ramblinjim
06-09-2010, 08:52 AM
Here here! Go tank!

RuthlessBurgher
06-09-2010, 10:21 AM
I am more of a visual learner. Just looking at it on paper didn’t help me.

Uh...Tank...I don't think you understand what "visual learner" means, pal. :?

Oviedo
06-09-2010, 10:41 AM

He would actually be an experiencial learner who learns best by doing something repeatedly.

RuthlessBurgher
06-09-2010, 11:55 AM

He would actually be an experiencial learner who learns best by doing something repeatedly.

Yup. Ben even talked about himself in that manner as well (which, of course, caused a bunch of people on here to freak out, using it to attack Ben's work ethic in terms of his film study and classroom work, compared to some other QB's around the league :roll: ).

Auditory learners learn best be hearing someone talk about the topic.

Visual learners learn best by reading and seeing diagrams and such.

Kinesthetic learners learn best by manipulating things in a hands-on environment.

Just thought it was odd for Tank to proclaim himself to be a visual learner, then to completely contradict that with his justification. You'd think the word "visual" would be pretty much self-explanatory, but I guess not.

LordVile
06-09-2010, 12:01 PM

Yup. Ben even talked about himself in that manner as well (which, of course, caused a bunch of people on here to freak out, using it to attack Ben's work ethic in terms of his film study and classroom work, compared to some other QB's around the league :roll: ).

Auditory learners learn best be hearing someone talk about the topic.

Visual learners learn best by reading and seeing diagrams and such.

Kinesthetic learners learn best by manipulating things in a hands-on environment.

Just thought it was odd for Tank to proclaim himself to be a visual learner, then to completely contradict that with his justification. You'd think the word "visual" would be pretty much self-explanatory, but I guess not.

Yeah, it didn't make sense to me neither. I woulda just said "I'm more of a hands on, kinda learner'...

hawaiiansteel
06-09-2010, 10:02 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers Backfield Will Be a Running Concern in 2010

by Nick DeWitt
June 07, 2010

The Pittsburgh Steelers were out of character last season after having trended that way since Mike Tomlin took the reins in 2007.

They became a passing team.

Power running has been out of vogue in Pittsburgh since Jerome Bettis parked the bus permanently after the 2005 Super Bowl season. Willie Parker took over full time duties after that, and he was more of a fast, cutback runner.

The Steelers have lacked a true pounder ever since.

Now Rashard Mendenhall takes up the mantle of Steelers feature back, a position that has known greatness for the better part of the last half century.

The Steelers already plan to run the ball more often in 2010. Mendenhall proved he could handle the workload with a 242 carry, 1,108 yard season punctuated by seven touchdowns.

Mendenhall can run both inside and outside and he showed a knack for breaking tackles and gaining extra yards. His style (not his ability) is similar to Adrian Peterson of the Minnesota Vikings.

Unfortunately, that includes the propensity for fumbles while trying to gain extra yards.

Mendenhall's ball security improved late in the season and should be a focus for him when it comes to improving his game in 2010.

But Parker is gone and Mewelde Moore is not talented enough to carry backup duties by himself. So the Steelers selected Jonathan Dwyer of Georgia Tech in the sixth round of the draft.

Dwyer has the potential to be a great compliment to Mendenhall and to be the pounder that has been lacking in Pittsburgh since the Bettis days. He's a tough inside runner with good technique and a sturdy frame.

Added to that punch will be the pass catching ability of Moore, who is the best backfield receiver. He was effective on screens and in the flat. The Steelers will likely look to use him in those situations again in 2010.

Isaac Redman is an interesting piece as a goal line back. He is an aggressive, strong runner who does his best work in between the tackles.

Frank Summers will also return from his injury as the team's fullback/halfback. Summers is another big inside guy, but his injury concerns and his one-dimensional game may put his roster spot in jeopardy.

While the Steelers are recommitting themselves to running the ball, it may be more of a necessity than anything with Ben Roethlisberger suspended for at least the first four games of the season. Mendenhall and company will be heavily relied upon to carry the load and take the heat off of whoever starts under center.

Mendenhall is due for a true breakout season and is a candidate to challenge for a rushing title if the Steelers truly commit to the ground game and also repair some of the lapses in their offensive line blocking.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4...oncern-in-2010

Captain Lemming
06-11-2010, 11:52 PM

When a "visual" learner doesn't spend time "looking at paper" the result will be the above. :lol:

Captain Lemming
06-11-2010, 11:54 PM
Summers attended UNLV. History Majors at that fine institute don't need books. They study at Caesars Palace and at the Excalibur.

Just like classic scholars "Bill and Ted" they don't need no stinkin books. They experience history first hand.

UNLV is more than a university- It is an Excellent Adventure.

http://img.sharedmp3.net/files/pics/507/506859/img_1_pr.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
06-12-2010, 09:55 AM
Did Jerry Tarkanian play Socrates? I don't remember him chewing on his robe in the movie. :lol: