PDA

View Full Version : OT - Anyone excited about Jameson Taillon?

flippy
06-08-2010, 09:24 AM
This might be the Pirates best prospect ever. I know there's always risk taking a HS pitcher. But this kid looks polished for a HS pitcher. 99mph fastball. A big slider and curveball. A lot of movement on his ball. And he's 6'6" or 6'7" which will make him even more intimidating and hard to hit.

Heck, we could use him right now.

I can't wait to see this kid make his MLB debut!!!!!!!

I'm shocked the Pirates went for it and drafted this kid.

Nice job!!!!!

WOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOoooooooohOOOOO!!!!

Oviedo
06-08-2010, 09:47 AM
I am. As with all high school kids, especially pitchers, there is no guarantees but this kid has the stuff to potentially be the best Pirates pitcher in decades.

Lots of folks talk about taking a field player because it is more of a sure thing but this kid has the stuff to be special. Getting a #1 pitcher for baseball is like getting a franchise QB in the NFL. Whe you got one you can be very good.

I really like how this management team is focused on getting power arms into the system versus off speed throwing lefthanders like the old regime seemed fixated on.

SteelBucks
06-08-2010, 10:18 AM
Given that there are no SS prospects in the minors, I was hoping they would select Manny Machado but I also like Taillon. Like Oviedo said, I'm tired of the soft tossing lefties. He's only 18 so we might have to wait a while before seeing him in Pittsburgh.

Now for the hard part....trying to sign him!

JTP53609
06-08-2010, 11:01 AM
how long before he gets tommy john surgery, the pirates have no luck with pitchers (maholm is the best we have drafted in the first round, and that is not saying too much), they either stink, or they hurt their arm.....or in some instances they will draft a player that led the nation in home runs and make him a pitcher....

i hope he does well, but im not holding my breath...

flippy
06-08-2010, 11:56 AM
I was expecting Machado would be the pick, but was pleasantly surprised to see us make the bold move for Taillon. I thought the main reason we'd avoid him is because of the likely price tag.

We're due to have a pitcher pan out. I don't think we've ever drafted one with this much potential. This kid could redefine the franchise in a couple of years.

RuthlessBurgher
06-08-2010, 12:01 PM
This kid could redefine the franchise in a couple of years.

Just imagine the crop of prospects you'll get when you trade him to the Yankees as soon as he is any good!

Baseball sucks.

phillyesq
06-08-2010, 12:04 PM
I'm not much of a Pirates fan, but I'm glad to see the Pirates at least go for it and take the highly rated, expensive prospect. The baseball draft is a total crapshoot, but it is good to see the Pirates investing in the draft and taking top talents, as opposed to when they would use top 5 picks on lefty setup men.

I hope he works out. The Pirates have a lot of potentially exciting young talent on the horizon or in the bigs now.

frankthetank1
06-08-2010, 12:08 PM
I was expecting Machado would be the pick, but was pleasantly surprised to see us make the bold move for Taillon. I thought the main reason we'd avoid him is because of the likely price tag.

We're due to have a pitcher pan out. I don't think we've ever drafted one with this much potential. This kid could redefine the franchise in a couple of years.

chris benson was suppose to be the man coming out of clemson. i remember having very high hopes for him but he was a huge bust. at least the pirates didnt give him a big contract like the mets did

phillyesq
06-08-2010, 12:59 PM
Pirates picked up Stetson Allie in the second round. Many teams were scared off by his demands (said to be $3 million), but he is another very high upside guy.

flippy
06-08-2010, 01:04 PM
This kid could redefine the franchise in a couple of years.

Just imagine the crop of prospects you'll get when you trade him to the Yankees as soon as he is any good!

Baseball sucks.

http://another****tyblogbysomedouche.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/chappelle-player-haters-ball.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
06-08-2010, 01:14 PM
I always saw myself as more of a Buck Nasty. :lol:

http://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/images/admin/CharlieMurphy.jpg

flippy
06-08-2010, 01:19 PM
I'd rather be Playa del Carmen:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/71/225523656_8bc812baf9.jpg

hawaiiansteel
06-08-2010, 02:43 PM
Jameson Taillon was the best pitcher in the draft, great pick! :Clap

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x242/steeler796/cityofchamps.jpg

flippy
06-08-2010, 05:15 PM
Jameson Taillon was the best pitcher in the draft, great pick! :Clap

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x242/steeler796/cityofchamps.jpg

I still think of the Pirates and Steelers any time I hear city of champions and I always think of the "We Are Family" Pirates of the 70s despite their recent losing skid. One day soon, they will return to greatness.

I'm hoping Taillon is a bigger star in Pittsburgh than Ben, Troy, or Sid.