PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign long-snapper Stewart

plainnasty
06-08-2010, 09:24 AM
The Pittsburgh Steelers have a new long-snapper hopeful for 2010: Matt Stewart.

A six-year NFL veteran at linebacker who hasnít played in a regular-season game since 2006, Stewart is attempting to reinvent himself with the Steelers. A source told FOXSports.com that Stewart was signed to take the place of incumbent Jared Retkofsky, who was released last week.

Stewart was in training camp with Arizona and Dallas the past two seasons but didnít make the final roster.

Stewwart, 30, was a 2001 fourth-round draft pick by Atlanta. He has 60 career starts and was a core special-teams player for the Falcons until 2004 and then Cleveland (2005-06). Stewart, who played at Vanderbilt, was considered one of the top long-snappers in his draft class.

The Steelers have made upgrading last year's poor special-teams unit an offseason priority.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Matt ... per-060710 (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Matt-Stewart-Steelers-long-snapper-060710)

Oviedo
06-08-2010, 09:50 AM
Don't quite understand this move given that once the draftees start to sign they have to start cutting people on a one for one basis. Seems like they have a list of who will be going out the door.

ramblinjim
06-08-2010, 09:53 AM
:Agree it's a strange move but, you let him play for a couple of days, make 100 snaps and see how they go? I've never long snapped, I've no idea how many you can do in a day or how many you need to see before you know whether or not a guy can do it?

Ghost
06-08-2010, 09:57 AM
Think they are worried about Warren's injury? He's been good for the last 5 years and certainly was the least of the worries on Special Teams. Nothing wrong with a little competition but seems silly to bring in an extra snapper and have to cut someone else prior to camp to meet numbers.

plainnasty
06-08-2010, 10:01 AM
Don't quite understand this move given that once the draftees start to sign they have to start cutting people on a one for one basis. Seems like they have a list of who will be going out the door.
I guess with Warren coming off an injury and Stewart being capable of helping out besides just long snapping, it can't hurt to bring him it. As far as who will be released when they sign their draft picks is anyone's guess.

plainnasty
06-08-2010, 10:02 AM
I guess with Warren coming off an injury and Stewart being capable of helping out besides just long snapping, it can't hurt to bring him it. As far as who will be released when they sign their draft picks is anyone's guess.

RuthlessBurgher
06-08-2010, 10:12 AM
People have been complaining about having a guy who long snaps and can't do anything else. Well, this guy was a linebacker who has 60 starts in 4 seasons in Atlanta (2001-2004) and 2 seasons in Cleveland (2005-2006). He had 291 total tackles (239 solo tackles and 52 assists), 8 sacks, 5 forced fumbles, 1 interception, and 7 passes defensed.

Granted, he's been out of the league for the past 3 years (cut in training camp by the Cardinals and Cowboys in each of the past two seasons), but if he can, in fact, show that he is a capable longsnapper, he'd have the positional flexibility to do other things as well in a worst case scenario if multiple injuries struck in a game. Perhaps if we kept Stewart as our LS instead of Warren, we could afford to keep one less LB on our active gameday roster since he could fill in there if needed, and keep one more DB or WR or whatever.

Let's see if he can really long snap consistently first, though, before jumping to any conclusions.

StarSpangledSteeler
06-08-2010, 12:54 PM
People have been complaining about having a guy who long snaps and can't do anything else.

I have been one of those people, but let me clarify...

I don't care so much that my starting long snapper can play some LB. I want my back up OL or TE or DL, to be able to long snap. My point is, when your keeping 9-10 OL and up to 4 TE, some of those are starters, some of those are back ups with the potential to start, some of them just are not and never will be legitimate NFL caliber starting material. Those are the guys who I want to long snap. The "Essex, Legursky, Stapelton, Johnson, McHugh, Kirshke, Hoke, Eason" type players of the world.

Having said that, I am concerned with Warren's health. Should he go down, I want a back up ready and I don't think we have one right now.

calmkiller
06-08-2010, 01:21 PM
If everyone is so worried about Warren's health why is he still on the team and not Jared?

RuthlessBurgher
06-08-2010, 01:37 PM
People have been complaining about having a guy who long snaps and can't do anything else.

I don't care so much that my starting long snapper can play some LB. I want my back up OL or TE or DL, to be able to long snap. My point is, when your keeping 9-10 OL and up to 4 TE, some of those are starters, some of those are back ups with the potential to start, some of them just are not and never will be legitimate NFL caliber starting material. Those are the guys who I want to long snap. The "Essex, Legursky, Stapelton, Johnson, McHugh, Kirshke, Hoke, Eason" type players of the world.

Having said that, I am concerned with Warren's health. Should he go down, I want a back up ready and I don't think we have one right now.

The longsnapper is a part of the punt coverage team. After the snap is made and the punt is in the air, he needs to be able to get downfield and make a tackle. You don't want a 300+ pound oaf longsnapping, because he is liability in coverage. Longsnappers tend to be smaller, more athletic guys league-wide, not big ol' linemen.

stlrz d
06-08-2010, 09:08 PM

The longsnapper is a part of the punt coverage team. After the snap is made and the punt is in the air, he needs to be able to get downfield and make a tackle. You don't want a 300+ pound oaf longsnapping, because he is liability in coverage. Longsnappers tend to be smaller, more athletic guys league-wide, not big ol' linemen.

And along with that, the "Essex, Legursky, Stapelton, Johnson, McHugh, Kirshke, Hoke, Eason" type players of the world are spending their time learning the playbook, practicing their positions and manning the scout teams. They don't have time to practice longsnapping.

StarSpangledSteeler
06-08-2010, 09:24 PM

yeah, i'll give you that one. ideally you'd rather not have essex or stapleton racing down the field for coverage (although warren is no burner either) but i wouldn't mind any TE or a DL with speed. (remember how keisel used to run.) my point was more i hate the wasted LS roster spot. and i know most teams do it. i just wish we could get some more value out of those back ups.

StarSpangledSteeler
06-08-2010, 09:28 PM

And along with that, the "Essex, Legursky, Stapelton, Johnson, McHugh, Kirshke, Hoke, Eason" type players of the world are spending their time learning the playbook, practicing their positions and manning the scout teams. They don't have time to practice longsnapping.

That one we'll just have to agree to disagree. No way do those guys not have an hour a day to practice long snapping. Now if they can't master the technique that's one thing. But i've known brett keisel personally since he was drafted and i know for a fact he had tons of free time his first few years, because he told me.

stlrz d
06-08-2010, 09:41 PM

That one we'll just have to agree to disagree. No way do those guys not have an hour a day to practice long snapping. Now if they can't master the technique that's one thing. But i've known brett keisel personally since he was drafted and i know for a fact he had tons of free time his first few years, because he told me.

If you know him personally then I think you need to get him to ask one of the long snappers how many hours they've put in over YEARS to be able to do what they do.

You don't become an NFL long snapper by practicing it an hour a day. You just don't. So you're free to disagree all you want but that doesn't mean a thing. NO team does this...and there is a reason why no team does what you want.

You can keep wishing for what you want all you'd like. But if you've got a wish in one hand and a turd in the other then what have you got? ;)

StarSpangledSteeler
06-08-2010, 11:05 PM
That one we'll just have to agree to disagree. No way do those guys not have an hour a day to practice long snapping. Now if they can't master the technique that's one thing. But i've known brett keisel personally since he was drafted and i know for a fact he had tons of free time his first few years, because he told me.[/quote]

If you know him personally then I think you need to get him to ask one of the long snappers how many hours they've put in over YEARS to be able to do what they do.

You don't become an NFL long snapper by practicing it an hour a day. You just don't. So you're free to disagree all you want but that doesn't mean a thing. NO team does this...and there is a reason why no team does what you want.

You can keep wishing for what you want all you'd like. But if you've got a wish in one hand and a turd in the other then what have you got? ;)[/quote]

1) The expression is... "You can wish in one hand and pi$$ in the other and see which one gets filled first."

2) I give it to you first hand (from Keisel's own mouth) that back up players have plenty of free practice time and you still disagree. You have serious issues admitting when you're wrong.

3) All I'm saying is that "long snapping is a skill which can be taught/learned with practice in many cases." It's not rocket science. If you want to disagree with that, that's fine.

stlrz d
06-08-2010, 11:24 PM
1) There are many versions of that saying.

2) *sigh* I never said there is no free time.

3) Yes it can be taught/learned. And it takes many hours over many years to learn to do it effectively. Mere split seconds can mean the difference between a clean XP, FG or punt...or a blocked attempt at any of those three.

It's not done as you wish because team's realize it is too critical to take a chance on throwing someone in there who may practice it an hour or so a day.

This can't be stressed enough (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-gameday/09000d5d80bf828f).