PDA

View Full Version : NFL's Top 10 Defenses Heading Into 2010-Steelers #2

hawaiiansteel
06-07-2010, 01:43 AM
Cream Of The Crop: Ranking NFL's Top 10 Defenses Heading Into 2010

by Matt Miselis
Bleacher Report

10. Philadelphia Eagles

Though the season ended a bit rough for the Eagles defense, they certainly do make the cut on the top ten list.

The passing of long time coordinator Jim Johnson brought different schemes that many of the veterans had to adapt to. Include the many injuries this group faced, there is a few reasons why they fell out of the top ten in defense.

However, being at full health, and having another year under the defensive coordinator, look for the Eagles to rely on their defense for some key wins this year.

9. New England Patriots

The Patriots have usually been consistent on defense. Despite the disappointment in the playoffs, Bill Belichick used the draft to address the secondary, the biggest hole in this defense.

With many of the key defenders returning healthy( Wilfork, Mayo), the Patriots will be one of the better groups in the league once again

8. Washington Redskins

The Redskins were one of the better defensive groups in the league. However, they were overshadowed by Jim Zorn and the weak offense.

Due to being on the field quite a bit, the Redskins I believe are a little better than their stats.

Head coach Mike Shanahan may be putting in his new scheme, but being one of the best teachers in the game, Washington will be a top ten defenses in 2010.

7. Minnesota Vikings

The Minnesota Vikings had an up and down year in 2010. A number sevesn spot may be a bit generous, for a few reasons.

To start off, lets not put this into question. Their defensive front is the best in the league, with Jared Allen leading the way.

Still, I don't believe the Vikings addressed the secondary well enough this off season, which was clearly the biggest hole on the defense.

Unless there is major improvements, the Vikings are open to attack in the passing game.

6. Dallas Cowboys

The Dallas Cowboys defense interests me. When Wade Phillips puts his full effort into this defense, the Cowboys may be the best defense in the NFC.

The biggest question is within the secondary, but I see improvement on the way.

Many people close to the Dallas Cowboys feel Mike Jenkins is the real deal. I am a fan of Jenkins, who will emerge as a lockdown corner this year ( please, no injury).

The Cowboys were also hurt by injuries, especially to DeMarcus Ware. With him returning healthy, the Cowboys defense will be one to keep an eye on this season.

5. Green Bay Packers

For those who don't know my secret contenders yet, the Packers are near the top of the list.

The biggest focus will be on the defense. Posting a number two ranking in total defense was good, but struggled mightly against many pass heavy teams, especially the Vikings.

Veteran cornerback Al Harris returns to the opposite side of Charles Woodson. Can he be the Al of old, or is he near the decline of his career?

4. Cincinnati Bengals

Last season, the Cincinnati Bengals were the surprise team of the league. The biggest surprise was the defense, which was the strongest point on the team.

The combination of Johnathan Joseph and Leon Hall provided two shut down corners for defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer to work with.

For those believing it was a fluke, don't fool yourselves. The return of Antwan Odom to the starting defensive front makes it stronger than ever.

The Bengals aren't ready to go away from the spotlight, and look to repeat the performance of last season.

3. Baltimore Ravens

Some people still call them old and washed up. Yet, they prove the doubters wrong.

The Baltimore Ravens will make a case for returning to form as the leagues top defense. The combination of veterans ( Ray Lewis, Ed Reed) along with the drafting of two young rookies ( Terrence Cody, Sergio Kindle) makes them a big threat this year.

The biggest question mark is the secondary as everyone points out. I wouldn't say they have depth, but the question will be is how Washington and Webb return from injury.

http://mybearsandblackhawksblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/steelers-logo.jpg?w=150&h=150

2. Pittsburgh Steelers

For now, I give the Steelers the edge over the Ravens. The return of Troy Polamalu is huge. It took one season for me to realize how big of a difference maker he is.
Everyone, whether the front, the line backers, or the corners, plays well when he returns.

Still, just a few questions. Will James Harrison be the dominant force of two years ago? Can Polamalu and Aaron Smith come close to their abilities in 2010?

1. New York Jets

The New York Jets enter the 2010 season with the best defense. After finishing number one in 2010, many upgrades were made. They traded for Antonio Cromartie, who's specilaity will be to create turnovers.

They drafted with great value in Kyle Wilson, who is a solid third corner.
And even though Taylor is on the downside of his career, veteran leadership is always needed.

Biggest question for me is the defensive front. Aside from Jenkins, I need to see more pressure out of those guys.

Still, the Jets should be lights out in 2010 again

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4...o-2010#page/10

HeHateMe
06-07-2010, 03:53 AM
Our D is BETTER than the Jets. They have better Corners we have better Safeties and LB's. Our Dline is better as well (excluding Keisel) he is a liability

steelblitz
06-07-2010, 06:05 AM
Hopefully some of the young guys will play well enough to contribute. It would be nice to see them get back to a nice rotation on D ala '08. In the end, staying healthy is key. If they rotate the depth and stay fresh and healthy, they'll be #1 again.

Our Dline is better as well (excluding Keisel) he is a liabilityI think with A. Smith going down last year, Keisel was Mr. Reliability. Logged the most snaps on the D-line, was the only 3 down D-lineman. Although, I will say, I always thought he was at his best as a situational pass rusher behind Kimo. That's a big reason I want to see the wave guys spell the starters.

Oviedo
06-07-2010, 08:50 AM
Defensive Keys for 2010:

1. Can Troy stay healthy for a full season. Prognosis: Unlikely
2. Was James Harrison only getting 2 sacks in the final 8 games a fluke or a sign of things to come. Prognosis: Unknown
3. Can the return of Bmac make a difference in the secondary. Prognosis: Likely
4. Can we actually get young players on the field contributing on the defensive side of the ball. Prognosis: Highly unlikely.

Troy and Harrison being better will determine the course of the season particularly early on when the defense may have to carry the the team while the offense finds its way without Ben.

BradshawsHairdresser
06-07-2010, 12:30 PM
Defensive Keys for 2010:

Agreed.

2. Was James Harrison only getting 2 sacks in the final 8 games a fluke or a sign of things to come. Prognosis: Unknown
Agreed. He is getting older, and could be starting to slow down. Let's hope not.

Not as optimistic as you on this one. I hope you're right, but I'm not holding my breath.

4. Can we actually get young players on the field contributing on the defensive side of the ball. Prognosis: Highly unlikely.
Unfortunately, I agree with you here, too. This defense badly needs an injection of youth, but I don't see much of it happening this season.

Troy and Harrison being better will determine the course of the season particularly early on when the defense may have to carry the the team while the offense finds its way without Ben.
Like you said, it's an unknown whether Harrison will be better. A healthy Troy in the lineup should help, but I happen to be one of the few who believe that it will take a lot more than that to solve our defensive problems.

Although I'd love to see it, and I'm not closing the door on the possibility, I don't see how the Steelers' D can be ranked #2. Not coming off last season.

Oviedo
06-07-2010, 12:37 PM
Defensive Keys for 2010:

Agreed.

Agreed. He is getting older, and could be starting to slow down. Let's hope not.

Not as optimistic as you on this one. I hope you're right, but I'm not holding my breath.

Unfortunately, I agree with you here, too. This defense badly needs an injection of youth, but I don't see much of it happening this season.

Like you said, it's an unknown whether Harrison will be better. A healthy Troy in the lineup should help, but I happen to be one of the few who believe that it will take a lot more than that to solve our defensive problems.

Although I'd love to see it, and I'm not closing the door on the possibility, I don't see how the Steelers' D can be ranked #2. Not coming off last season.

I also agree that Troy being back doesn't guarantee success. I've always had an issue with a scheme that if one player is out cannot be executed.

Hopefully Will Allen is light-years beyond Tyrone Carter because it is likely that he will have to play some for Troy. Could he be worse than Ty Carter? Could anyone?

ramblinjim
06-07-2010, 12:40 PM
It's to hard to say this early in the pre-season who is going to be good and who isn't. Some team who stunk this year will be very good this year, some team that was good last year will stink this year. I actually think Baltimore's D will not be as good and Cincy's will be better this year than last.

There are so many what-if's:

1.) Can Troy stay healthy?
2.) Is James Harrison slowing down?
3.) Will Keenan Lewis or Joe Burnett step up this year?
4.) Does adding BMac make us that much better?
5.) How big of an issue will Potsie be in the middle?
6.) Will Ziggy be better able to spell Smitty and Kiesel this year?
7.) Who will emerge as a player that we don't know much about yet?

cruzer8
06-07-2010, 12:49 PM
Bleacher Report.

flippy
06-07-2010, 02:55 PM
If Troy is healthy the whole season, will he finally be recognized as DMVP like he's deserved in the past?

Smitty and Troy make us easily #1.

Oviedo
06-07-2010, 03:03 PM
If Troy is healthy the whole season, will he finally be recognized as DMVP like he's deserved in the past?

Would agree, but just can't see Troy making for 16 games.

cruzer8
06-07-2010, 03:24 PM

He's played in a total of 93 out of 112 possible regular season games. I can totally see your point! :D

focosteeler
06-07-2010, 03:24 PM

i dont know how much it would help keep his knees healthy but i would really appreciate him wearing some kind of brace...i remember hearing last year that they have asked him to wear a knee brace before and wanted him wearing a brace when he came back agaisnt the bengals but he has said he didn't want to. if it makes him half a step slower once a game i wouldn't mind it. because i'd rather have him in all season. just having him back there has to add some kind of physcological advantage for us....the opposing offense seeing him and knowing he is there

cruzer8
06-07-2010, 03:25 PM

He's played in a total of 93 out of 112 possible regular season games. I can totally see your point! :D

Oviedo
06-07-2010, 03:56 PM

i dont know how much it would help keep his knees healthy but i would really appreciate him wearing some kind of brace...i remember hearing last year that they have asked him to wear a knee brace before and wanted him wearing a brace when he came back agaisnt the bengals but he has said he didn't want to. if it makes him half a step slower once a game i wouldn't mind it. because i'd rather have him in all season. just having him back there has to add some kind of physcological advantage for us....the opposing offense seeing him and knowing he is there

Want to keep Troy healthy then LeBeau needs to keep him out of the "box" and the churn of bodies who weigh 80lbs more than him. He got hurt because a fat OLmen fell on him from behind on a kick. Why the heck was our Pro Bowl safety playing on a kick block team?

Let Troy hang back and play pass defense and he will stay healthier.

cruzer8
06-07-2010, 05:14 PM

Want to keep Troy healthy then LeBeau needs to keep him out of the "box" and the churn of bodies who weigh 80lbs more than him. He got hurt because a fat OLmen fell on him from behind on a kick. Why the heck was our Pro Bowl safety playing on a kick block team?

Let Troy hang back and play pass defense and he will stay healthier.

It's common around the league for the regular D to be on the field for FG tries in the event there is a fake.

In 2008 Troy spent much less time at the LOS and much more time in coverage. With the exception of FG defense.

SteelAbility
06-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Somehow we were ranked at the middle of the pack overall. So, if the D is #2, then the O would have to be somewhere around #30 or #31 to balance that out to where you are middle of the pack. Clearly we are better than that. Must be some kind of new math or something. :roll:

Steelerphile
06-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Defensive Keys for 2010:

Hopefully Will Allen is light-years beyond Tyrone Carter because it is likely that he will have to play some for Troy. Could he be worse than Ty Carter? Could anyone?

Light years better than Tyrone Carter? Be real. Allen is a nondescript player. And although you get a lot of joy from ripping Carter. He was still a very effective physical in the box safety last year. He had lost his speed to the point that he was a liability in coverage.

Allen will never be Carter's equal as a physical tackling safety. He hopefully will be slightly better in pass defense. But I don't make this guy a roster lock.

RuthlessBurgher
06-08-2010, 04:27 PM
Defensive Keys for 2010:

Light years better than Tyrone Carter? Be real. Allen is a nondescript player. And although you get a lot of joy from ripping Carter. He was still a very effective physical in the box safety last year. He had lost his speed to the point that he was a liability in coverage.

Allen will never be Carter's equal as a physical tackling safety. He hopefully will be slightly better in pass defense. But I don't make this guy a roster lock.

I agree that Allen isn't necessarily anything special, but he should be a better backup option than Carter has been of late. I do think that Allen is pretty darn close to a roster lock, because who else do they have behind Troy and Clark right now? Ryan Mundy? UDFA's Da'Mon Cromartie-Smith and Justin Thornton? I think there is little doubt that Allen makes the team and is the primary backup to both safety spots this year.