PDA

View Full Version : T.O. on NFLTA - sad

rpmpit
06-05-2010, 11:47 AM
I'm sure some of you guys/gals saw this. He's practically begging for a team to give him a shot. It is really sad.

But then I'm thinking...why not T.O. in B&G?? We need a receiver. He's got a lot to prove. Why can't he be our Randy Moss?

Another positive is that he'd take a lot of the media attention away from Ben.

The guy is a loud mouth. But he's not a criminal. And you know he can still play.

RuthlessBurgher
06-05-2010, 02:18 PM
I don't think we need a WR. We usually keep 5, and sometimes 6.

I'd like to be able to keep Ward (starting flanker), Wallace (starting split end), Randle El (back to the slot where he thrived for us in his first go-around), Sanders (could potentially be another 3rd round rookie WR stud...Wallace 2.0), Battle (special teams demon), and Brown (could contribute as a return man as a rookie if we don't keep Logan).

Godfather
06-05-2010, 02:51 PM
I wouldn't call it sad. TO has nobody to blame but himself. He's more trouble than he's worth, and three different teams have come to that conclusion over the past 8 years.

If he didn't throw a hissy fit when he didn't get the ball enough, and didn't publicly question the quarterback's sexual orientation, and didn't have meltdowns with four different quarterbacks on three teams, someone might be willing to give him a call.

hawaiiansteel
06-05-2010, 02:56 PM
I wouldn't call it sad. TO has nobody to blame but himself. He's more trouble than he's worth, and three different teams have come to that conclusion over the past 8 years.

If he didn't throw a hissy fit when he didn't get the ball enough, and didn't publicly question the quarterback's sexual orientation, and didn't have meltdowns with four different quarterbacks on three teams, someone might be willing to give him a call.

well said! :Clap

and now that TO's skills have diminished, he's even more so not worth the baggage he brings.

SteelBucks
06-05-2010, 03:34 PM
Another positive is that he'd take a lot of the media attention away from Ben.

If the Steelers wanted to take some of the media attention off of Ben, they would have kept Holmes.

Shawn
06-05-2010, 03:56 PM
Most of the time in my mind when someone self destructs it's sad. People are correct. He has no one to blame but himself. But, many people have to learn life lessons the hard way...humility...kindness...generosity through pain. TO was no different except he suffered from unusually low self esteem and what many professionals call King Baby syndrome. Until I have walked a mile in his shoes I can not judge TO. With all of that said, would I want him on the Steelers? You bet. Will he be? No way.

SteelCrazy
06-05-2010, 04:21 PM
We don't have enough room for the WR's we have, let alone a guy that would probably be gone after this season and then we stand to lose a prospect or two. Like someone said, he only has himself to blame.

Snatch98
06-05-2010, 05:15 PM
Honestly I'd take T.O in a second for a friendly contract. He's a work horse with gas still in the tank. I don't think he'd be a loud mouth on the Steelers considering our environment. Although bringing in T.O puts one of the guys currently on the roster on the outs. Battle or ARE and I don't see them unloading ARE because of his history with the club. Battle could be on the outs but he's a special teams ace. I don't see T.O in Pittsburgh for those reasons but I'd take him in a second. He'll get a shot somewhere.

Shawn
06-05-2010, 09:36 PM
Honestly I'd take T.O in a second for a friendly contract. He's a work horse with gas still in the tank. I don't think he'd be a loud mouth on the Steelers considering our environment. Although bringing in T.O puts one of the guys currently on the roster on the outs. Battle or ARE and I don't see them unloading ARE because of his history with the club. Battle could be on the outs but he's a special teams ace. I don't see T.O in Pittsburgh for those reasons but I'd take him in a second. He'll get a shot somewhere.

Ben would revive TOs career. I could see TO having 60 catches next season if Ben was throwing him the ball. And while I like to develop young talent. You sit a guy on the PS and you take a shot at the SB with the most amount of weapons you can give Ben. And I think the process has humbled Owens a bit. I believe that insecure look at me ego would desolve in light of being with the Steelers and recent events. Not to mention you are in control. You get a quality wr for a fair value and hand him a contract stocked with behavioral incentives.

hawaiiansteel
06-05-2010, 09:54 PM
Unsigned T.O. blames image as 'cancer'

ESPN.com news services

As a free agent receiver, Terrell Owens is wide open.

And as a 14-year NFL veteran, he doesn't think he resembles anything close to a Hail Mary.

In an interview with the NFL Network, Owens said the perception of him as a possible problem in the locker room has played a role in his failure to land with a team this offseason.

http://assets.espn.go.com/i/headshots/nfl/players/65/1056.jpg

If character was such an issue, I don't think Cincinnati would have brought me in.

-- Terrell Owens, regarding his visit
with the Bengals

"I've heard a lot of the reasons why I'm not on a team right now," Owens told the NFL Network on Friday. "It's because people feel I've disrupted some teams, I'm a cancer -- I've heard all those things. They've said that for the last five, six years. The teams I've been on, if you ask in that locker room how I've been as a teammate and as a person, it's contradictory to what's been displayed out there."

Owens said a trip he made to the Cincinnati Bengals in March helped illustrate his value as a receiver.

"If character was such an issue, I don't think Cincinnati would have brought me in," he said.

Though Donovan McNabb has played down the notion, Owens reiterated he and the quarterback have discussed a reunion.

"He already knew his situation prior to being traded, so we talked about the idea of actually playing together," Owens said of McNabb, the former Eagles quarterback who was acquired by the Washington Redskins in April. "That was something I welcome with open arms, and he as well. If that was a situation to come about and that would happen, we know what we could do on the football field together."

The Ravens have also been reported as a possible suitor for Owens. But like the Bengals, Baltimore committed to another receiver. The Ravens traded for Anquan Boldin and signed Donte' Stallworth; the Bengals signed Antonio Bryant.

"There are some teams out there that have created some interest," Owens said. "And a few of those teams asked to be anonymous -- I know Seattle has come out and said they were interested -- so other than that, we're just waiting for the right opportunity."

Owens still views himself as a premier player, but some teams have a different feeling.

"You know, last year, we jumped on board with Buffalo, and that was a team that was interested in myself, and I just felt like I always wanted to be where I was wanted, and Buffalo jumped at the gun at that, so I spent my year in Buffalo."

At some point this summer, some team is going to lose a receiver to injury. When it does, Owens could be a prime candidate to come in as a replacement.

"I know there's a process where teams have drafted players, they're looking at free agents," Owens said. "They have to go through minicamps, the OTAs and eventually into training camp, and there are some things that may transpire. There are 32 teams out there, so you never know what could happen. So I'm looking forward to the opportunity of wherever I may play."

Information from ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5254837

ALLD
06-05-2010, 09:55 PM
You might be able to win a few games with TO, but he divides a lockroom which will prevent you from winning a championship. Cincy or Oakland are possible opportunities since they take on problem children if there is a need. However, if it is over, he might not be able to get a radio gig even with his motor mouth because of his attitude.

NJ-STEELER
06-05-2010, 10:21 PM

$$

HeHateMe
06-05-2010, 11:18 PM
T.O. wasnt begging I saw the whole interview. T.O has a reputation as a hard worker and has NEVER had a police inquiry. T.O has NEVER had the lever of problems and or publicity as our own qb. We will have women picketing our team and fans yelling "SHE SAID NO! SHE SAID NO!" Because of the actions of our Qb and you guys have the nerve to forgive Ben and fault T.O?
WOW
LOL

hawaiiansteel
06-05-2010, 11:28 PM
Because of the actions of our Qb and you guys have the nerve to forgive Ben and fault T.O?
WOW
LOL

i'm not faulting TO for anything, i just think his skills have begun to diminish and he's not worth having to possibly cut one of our young WRs like Sanders or Brown to basically rent TO for one season.

and yes, i can certainly forgive Ben...

Forgiveness

by Barry S. Maltese

If you try to reach inside of your heart
you can find forgiveness, or at least the start
And from that place where you can forgive
is where Hope, and Love, also thrive and live

And with each step that you try to take
and with that chance that your heart might break
Comes so much happiness, and so much strength
which Alone can carry you a fantastic length

For hate and anger will not get you there
and though you say that you just don't care
You can EASILY avoid the pain on which hate feeds
. . . the kind of hurt that No one needs

Just make the move, take that first stride
let go of the thing known as "Foolish Pride"
Maybe then you can start to repair the past
into something strong, that will mend, and last!

stlrz d
06-05-2010, 11:30 PM
LMAO when they "ran a play" with Eisen as QB and Eisen said (as he's throwing the ball to Sapp), "And now I'm gonna make you a little nostalgic for Dallas and throw the ball to Witten anyway!" :lol:

I thought Woodson was gonna fall over he was laughing so hard. :D

birtikidis
06-05-2010, 11:57 PM
LMAO when they "ran a play" with Eisen as QB and Eisen said (as he's throwing the ball to Sapp), "And now I'm gonna make you a little nostalgic for Dallas and throw the ball to Witten anyway!" :lol:

haha i just saw this and was gonna post it. funny funny funny.

HeHateMe
06-06-2010, 01:45 AM
Because of the actions of our Qb and you guys have the nerve to forgive Ben and fault T.O?
WOW
LOL

i'm not faulting TO for anything, i just think his skills have begun to diminish and he's not worth having to possibly cut one of our young WRs like Sanders or Brown to basically rent TO for one season.

and yes, i can certainly forgive Ben...

Forgiveness

by Barry S. Maltese

If you try to reach inside of your heart
you can find forgiveness, or at least the start
And from that place where you can forgive
is where Hope, and Love, also thrive and live

And with each step that you try to take
and with that chance that your heart might break
Comes so much happiness, and so much strength
which Alone can carry you a fantastic length

For hate and anger will not get you there
and though you say that you just don't care
You can EASILY avoid the pain on which hate feeds
. . . the kind of hurt that No one needs

Just make the move, take that first stride
let go of the thing known as "Foolish Pride"
Maybe then you can start to repair the past
into something strong, that will mend, and last!
WHAT receiver do we have that is better than T.O?
I'm not saying I want him on the team AND I DON'T but he is STILL better than any receiver we have.
You dont have to illustrate your forgiveness for Ben, I have already posted my acknowledging that he is forgiven for SEVERER transgressions. Ben gets a pass but T.O has caused his own demise LOL
That is just too funny

HeHateMe
06-06-2010, 01:47 AM

I agree that was funny! And right on cue T.O runs in his face and Yells, "I WAS OPEN! THROW ME THE BALL!"
Classic

NJ-STEELER
06-06-2010, 03:46 AM
the ultimate teammate = TO

LOL

HeHateMe
06-06-2010, 05:12 AM

LOL
I know I know we are to "move on" and forget about Ben's transgressions BUT we are to HOLD ON TO T.O's

At least you guys are consistent LOL

Flasteel
06-06-2010, 11:35 AM

LOL
I know I know we are to "move on" and forget about Ben's transgressions BUT we are to HOLD ON TO T.O's

There's a huge difference between standing by your own (especially when he's a franchise QB) and chasing down a proven head-ache who is on the very downside of his career. You can't see that because of your blind hatred for Roethlisberger.

I agree with not bringing him in from a strictly personnel (read: NOT personal) standpoint however.

SidSmythe
06-06-2010, 01:06 PM
I wouldn't bring in T.O. for the NFL minimum. I wouldn't bring him in for free!

He's only great when everything is going great. unfortunately for T.O., football brings adversity and he just can't handle it.

They asked Revis last year to describe NFL WRs w/ 1 word. When asked about TO he said "SOFT"

BURGH86STEEL
06-06-2010, 01:26 PM

I agree.

feltdizz
06-06-2010, 01:34 PM
T.O. isn't Steeler material. It's crazy how much hate TO gets... The guy still has talent but I think teams are looking for younger and cheaper guys.

NJ-STEELER
06-06-2010, 02:44 PM

LOL

There's a huge difference between standing by your own (especially when he's a franchise QB) and chasing down a proven head-ache who is on the very downside of his career. You can't see that because of your blind hatred for Roethlisberger.

I agree with not bringing him in from a strictly personnel (read: NOT personal) standpoint however.

$$

HeHateMe
06-07-2010, 03:38 AM

LOL

Uh I do believe I said I dont want T.O either. Lastly, I don't hate Ben. I HATE the bad publicity that he has brought MY TEAM. Being a franchise Qb DOESNT excuse that in my book. Sorry. Say what you will about T.O he has NOT done as much damage to ANY team as Ben has to ours. FACT.

HeHateMe
06-07-2010, 03:40 AM

He's only great when everything is going great. unfortunately for T.O., football brings adversity and he just can't handle it.

They asked Revis last year to describe NFL WRs w/ 1 word. When asked about TO he said "SOFT"
I agree he cant handle adversity like our Qb can't handle FREE TIME. How do you think the NFL players describe Big Ben? Let me help you. The first letter is a R and the last one is a T. Get it? But you value an NFL players opinion on T.O but discredit their opinion on Ben? Being fair isnt your strong suit is it?

HeHateMe
06-07-2010, 03:43 AM
T.O. isn't Steeler material. It's crazy how much hate TO gets... The guy still has talent but I think teams are looking for younger and cheaper guys.
WHAT is "Steeler Material" A guy who tells the coach SCREW YOU when told to wear a helmet when riding his new motorcycle? Then almost dies. Gets well and DOES THE EXACT SAME THING AGAIN. Is Steeler Material getting two allegation within a year that will have every opposing team heckling our whole team. Is that "Steeler Material"??

If I have posted ONE lie then please point it out.

AngryAsian
06-07-2010, 08:43 AM
WHAT is "Steeler Material" A guy who tells the coach SCREW YOU when told to wear a helmet when riding his new motorcycle? Then almost dies. Gets well and DOES THE EXACT SAME THING AGAIN. Is Steeler Material getting two allegation within a year that will have every opposing team heckling our whole team. Is that "Steeler Material"??

Please stay on point with the thread topic. Even the administrator of this site has warned you about littering various thread topics with the same opinion. Last chance.

feltdizz
06-07-2010, 09:40 AM

I'm talking about on the field...

frankthetank1
06-07-2010, 10:22 AM

i agree but, even when things are going great T.O is still a bad teammate. he was on good teams in dallas and philly but that didnt stop him from a meltdown. if he is such a good player still then why is he still a free agent in june? i dont think any team will pick him up

Steelers>NFL
06-07-2010, 10:35 AM
TO - Just go away. Retire already, will ya. Nobody will miss ya.

RuthlessBurgher
06-07-2010, 11:38 AM
“If character was such an issue, I don't think Cincinnati would have brought me in.”

-- Terrell Owens, regarding his visit with the Bengals

This is hysterical. We all know that the Bengals never have interest in guys with character issues.

http://letsblogsports.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/pacman_jones.jpghttp://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/tank.jpg

http://cdn.faniq.com/images/blog/matt-jones-mug-shot(1).jpghttp://ballsiest.com/sportsblog/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/chris-henry-mugshot.JPG

rpmpit
06-07-2010, 12:40 PM
“If character was such an issue, I don't think Cincinnati would have brought me in.”

-- Terrell Owens, regarding his visit with the Bengals

This is hysterical. We all know that the Bengals never have interest in guys with character issues.

http://letsblogsports.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/pacman_jones.jpghttp://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/tank.jpg

http://cdn.faniq.com/images/blog/matt-jones-mug-shot(1).jpghttp://ballsiest.com/sportsblog/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/chris-henry-mugshot.JPG

May Chris Henry R.I.P. but every time I see his pic, it totally weirds me out. If he's not proof that aliens breed with humans, then I don't know what is.

rpmpit
06-07-2010, 12:46 PM
T.O. certainly has issues. So did Moss. Just try to remember his SB performance (after coming back from a broken leg) where he nearly single handedly beat the Patriots. You can't say the guy doesn't have heart. And you can't say the guy doesn't have talent. All I was saying is that he'd be worth a look.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrell_Owens

"The 2004 season got off to a great start for the Eagles, who started 7-0 and 13-1, as well as for Owens, who averaged a touchdown catch per game before his injury. Owens gained a tremendous amount of popularity throughout the league, especially among the Eagles' fan base. On December 19, 2004, Owens sustained a severely sprained ankle and a fractured fibula when Dallas Cowboys safety Roy Williams took him down with a horse-collar tackle; Owens's injury was one of the major reasons that the horse-collar tackle was later prohibited. With the Eagles heading to Super Bowl XXXIX, Owens shocked the media by announcing he would play no matter what, even though team doctors stated that his injury would take several more weeks to heal. Owens's trainer, James "Buddy" Primm, helped bring Owens back much sooner with the use of Micro Current and a hyperbaric chamber. Skeptics were silenced when Owens started the game and played well; the result was nine receptions and 122 yards, though the Eagles still lost to the New England Patriots. After the game, Owens criticized the media by saying that a player like Brett Favre would have been praised for such bravery"

ramblinjim
06-07-2010, 12:48 PM
I agree with armpit on Chris Henry but the idea of TO in Black and Gold bugs me. I think had Mike Shanahan not become coach of the 'Skins I think Dan Snyder here in DC may have taken a run at him unless McNabb nixed it ahead of time.

rpmpit
06-07-2010, 12:50 PM
I agree with armpit on Chris Henry but the idea of TO in Black and Gold bugs me. I think had Mike Shanahan not become coach of the 'Skins I think Dan Snyder here in DC may have taken a run at him unless McNabb nixed it ahead of time.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
06-07-2010, 01:20 PM
T.O. certainly has issues. So did Moss. Just try to remember his SB performance (after coming back from a broken leg) where he nearly single handedly beat the Patriots. You can't say the guy doesn't have heart. And you can't say the guy doesn't have talent. All I was saying is that he'd be worth a look.

"The 2004 season got off to a great start for the Eagles, who started 7-0 and 13-1, as well as for Owens, who averaged a touchdown catch per game before his injury. Owens gained a tremendous amount of popularity throughout the league, especially among the Eagles' fan base. On December 19, 2004, Owens sustained a severely sprained ankle and a fractured fibula when Dallas Cowboys safety Roy Williams took him down with a horse-collar tackle; Owens's injury was one of the major reasons that the horse-collar tackle was later prohibited. With the Eagles heading to Super Bowl XXXIX, Owens shocked the media by announcing he would play no matter what, even though team doctors stated that his injury would take several more weeks to heal. Owens's trainer, James "Buddy" Primm, helped bring Owens back much sooner with the use of Micro Current and a hyperbaric chamber. Skeptics were silenced when Owens started the game and played well; the result was nine receptions and 122 yards, though the Eagles still lost to the New England Patriots. After the game, Owens criticized the media by saying that a player like Brett Favre would have been praised for such bravery"

I simply can't erase vision from earlier that season, when he followed McNabb up and down the sidelines at Heinz Field, trying to bark in his face while Donovan was ignoring him as the rookie version of Ben Roethlisberger gave the Iggles their first loss 27-3 (with Hines mocking T.O.'s wing flap after rushing and receiving TD's).

rpmpit
06-07-2010, 01:24 PM

I simply can't erase vision from earlier that season, when he followed McNabb up and down the sidelines at Heinz Field, trying to bark in his face while Donovan was ignoring him as the rookie version of Ben Roethlisberger gave the Iggles their first loss 27-3 (with Hines mocking T.O.'s wing flap after rushing and receiving TD's).
Great two game run when we beat the undefeated Eagles and Pats. And I hear ya. I'm not saying we should sign him to a multi year deal. Just bring him in and see what happens. Anyone know how last year went for him in Buffalo? I don't mean stats, I mean chemistry with the team. Any problems???

NJ-STEELER
06-07-2010, 08:13 PM

. Last chance.

thank God

HeHateMe
06-09-2010, 07:20 PM

Please stay on point with the thread topic. Even the administrator of this site has warned you about littering various thread topics with the same opinion. Last chance.
I was merely falling in line with the post "Steeler Material". If I am off base then so is everyone else who brought up anyone other than T.O in this thread.
Just sayin...........

rpmpit
11-09-2010, 08:45 AM
Remembered starting this thread a while back. And remembered that some people said T.O. only plays hard when things are going well. Well, without T.O., we would have run away with the game last night. We have one real threat at WR. Love Hines, but he's showing his age more and more every week. Just saying we should have given Owens a look when we had the chance. It almost cost us the game last night.

Steelers>NFL
11-09-2010, 09:05 AM
fuk TO!
He is cancer. And he is not cureable.
Whereas, real cancer is cureable.

Trouble is brewing in Cincy land with Ocho.

rpmpit
11-09-2010, 09:11 AM
fuk TO!

OK. And yeah, Cinci had no issues before T.O. got there :lol: :lol:

Oviedo
11-09-2010, 09:30 AM
Remembered starting this thread a while back. And remembered that some people said T.O. only plays hard when things are going well. Well, without T.O., we would have run away with the game last night. We have one real threat at WR. Love Hines, but he's showing his age more and more every week. Just saying we should have given Owens a look when we had the chance. It almost cost us the game last night.

Hines has been looking very ordinary and doesn't seem to be able to get open. This is a real concern moving forward because Wallace is far from a complete piece of work and ARE is pretty much useless and can't get open either. They have to get Sanders out there catching passes as the #3.

feltdizz
11-09-2010, 09:58 AM
fuk TO!

OK. And yeah, Cinci had no issues before T.O. got there :lol: :lol:

here is the thing... notice how San Fran... Philly and even Dallas.. have done NOTHING without TO?

I'm not saying TO didn't have meltdowns but I think 2 of the 3 teams he was on were already in meltdown mode and TO was unfortunately expressing the obvious.

After watching the guy last night it's clear he has something left. The guy is a beast and it's unfortunate ESPN and most fans are still trying to carry the TO is a cancer banner regardless of what he does. I've never seen a guy scrutinized so much for his facial expressions on the sideline... yet if Hines or Fitzgerald had the same expression it's because they want to win so much and are great competitors.

I know we will never give TO a chance but if we did why the hell would he have a meltdown or split our locker room? No one is splitting a locker room with James Harrison in it. It wouldn't happen. Whether fans want to admit it or not, the only thing better than TO is Wallaces speed. He is head and shoulders above any WR on our team.

Chadman
11-10-2010, 09:20 AM
Love T.O.

Always have.

A lot of guys get all huffy about him 'being a cancer' and whatever, but all he ever does is put in. Yes, he's vocal. yes, he talks to the media. Yes, he's an attention whore.

But unlike some other 'star' WR's, he backs it up, every year, and has done for a significant amount of time, in variously challenging circumstances.

He should be remembered as one of the greatest WR's to play the game.

He'll probably be remembered as a loudmouth cancer.

Ghost
11-10-2010, 09:34 AM
I remember this thread/discussion from summer and thinking there was no chance the Steelers would go after him. I wasn't necessarily in either camp (hate him or go get him) but damn, he's better than anything the Steelers have at WR right now.

While Ocho-whino was on the sidelines crying about who knows what (nothing!), T.O. put that team on his back and willed them to play better on O. I think this Steelers team and Ben could have handled his ego with no issues.

Question(s) - are you surprised with the level of the Steelers WR's at this point (I am) AND do you think the coaching staff overrated the talent they actually have?

feltdizz
11-10-2010, 09:41 AM
I remember this thread/discussion from summer and thinking there was no chance the Steelers would go after him. I wasn't necessarily in either camp (hate him or go get him) but damn, he's better than anything the Steelers have at WR right now.

While Ocho-whino was on the sidelines crying about who knows what (nothing!), T.O. put that team on his back and willed them to play better on O. I think this Steelers team and Ben could have handled his ego with no issues.

Question(s) - are you surprised with the level of the Steelers WR's at this point (I am) AND do you think the coaching staff overrated the talent they actually have?

I think we are seeing another Timmons/Foote handling of our youth at WR.

ARE is on this team just for vet experience...and his arm. :wink:

steelblood
11-10-2010, 09:46 AM
i don't like that they jettisoned Holmes and kept Ben. I wish we kept both. Holmes would have helped us down the stretch and teams would have had trouble keeping up with all of our talented receivers. After this season, we could have let him go, we'd probably get at least a 4th round comp pick for him.

Wallace is a great talent. He is getting better. But, he is best as a complimentary receiver with big play ability. He is not the sort of receiver that you target 10-15 times a game (at least not yet). Hines is a tough SOB, but he is even slower than ever. I think Sanders will develop into a 'tone lite. He will never have the gifts that 'tone had, but he will be able to give us much of what we lost with 'tone. The guy who could help us the most right now is Brown. He is a fantastic underneath receiver with great open field running ability. He would be an excellent outlet receiver and would even be effective out of the backfield. He can carry a heavy load as he did at CMU.

Overall, I'd say we have a decent group of wide receivers. But, a good sized receiver with strength, strong route running, and downfield speed should be on the steelers draft board this offseason. El and Battle can ski-dattle!

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-10-2010, 09:54 AM
i don't like that they jettisoned Holmes and kept Ben.

Holmes was sent packing for several reasons:

1) Multiple drug problems

2) Last year of his contract and he could only guarantee 12 games

3) Tweeting about Waking and Baking

4) Tweeting that fans should kill themselves

and the last two are the big ones. I could see them keeping Santonio for one more season rather than shipping him for a fifth - but not after the tweets.

On the other hand, Ben has a multi year contract and even though he was accused, nothing has ever even remotely been backed up.

On top of everything else, Ben has been contrite and apologetic with the fans and media ever since this off season situation. He has said all the PC things despite the fact that I'm sure he has wanted to come out with a lot more.

See, it is not just getting yourself in trouble that gets you moved out - it is the way you deal with it.

Crash
11-10-2010, 12:39 PM
Once Holmes started talking about leaving he was done here. IMO they would have waited for him if he would have wanted to stay.

ikestops85
11-10-2010, 01:28 PM
Holmes was a very erratic receiver during the regular season. I think he was responsible for a number of Ben's interceptions -- moreso than all the other receivers combined. He was however, money when it became playoff time. He was the polar opposite of Burress in that regard.

I think Wallace has a much higher upside than Holmes had and is much further along than Holmes was in his second year. I don't see any reason that they can't target Wallace 10 times a game. The guy has good hands ( I know he dropped an easy one Monday night) and seems to be fearless going over the middle.

I think the guy will go down as one of the great receivers in Steeler history. You heard it hear first. :tt2 :tt2