View Full Version : Report: Leftwich to Open Season as Steelers Starting QB

hawaiiansteel
06-04-2010, 10:29 PM
Report: Leftwich to Open Season as Steelers Starting QB

By Chuck Carroll
Football News Now Staff Writer
June 4, 2010

http://www.footballnewsnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/byron_leftwich_sm.jpg

Byron Leftwich appears to be the Steelers starter in Week 1.

To the surprise of some, but not many, it appears that Byron Leftwich will open the season as the Pittsburgh Steelers starting quarterback while Ben Roethlisberger serves his four to six game suspension.

Leftwich’s only competition came from the young Dennis Dixon who lacks the experience of the former Jaguars starter.

The 30-year-old had been taking snaps with the first team until Roethlisberger was cleared to return to practice this week.

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette summed it up by stating, “it has become obvious Byron Leftwich will open the season as the starting quarterback.”

http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2010/rep ... arting-qb/ (http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2010/report-leftwich-to-open-season-as-steelers-starting-qb/)

SanAntonioSteelerFan
06-04-2010, 10:50 PM
Report: Leftwich to Open Season as Steelers Starting QB

By Chuck Carroll
Football News Now Staff Writer
June 4, 2010

http://www.footballnewsnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/byron_leftwich_sm.jpg

Byron Leftwich appears to be the Steelers starter in Week 1.

To the surprise of some, but not many, it appears that Byron Leftwich will open the season as the Pittsburgh Steelers starting quarterback while Ben Roethlisberger serves his four to six game suspension.

Leftwich’s only competition came from the young Dennis Dixon who lacks the experience of the former Jaguars starter.

The 30-year-old had been taking snaps with the first team until Roethlisberger was cleared to return to practice this week.

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette summed it up by stating, “it has become obvious Byron Leftwich will open the season as the starting quarterback.”

http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2010/rep ... arting-qb/ (http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2010/report-leftwich-to-open-season-as-steelers-starting-qb/)

Wow, what an amazing piece of investigative journalism Mr. Chuck Carroll has put together here. As hard to believe that Leftwich has won the competition, it must be true, if Coach Bouchette says so.

:roll:

lvsteelersfan
06-05-2010, 01:19 AM
They haven't even started training camp yet. We don't know for sure that something won't happen to Leftwich between now and then. Wouldn't be the first time someone got injured in training camp. Personally I would rather see Leftwich than Dixon. I just think Dixon is another Kordell Stewart experiment.

steelfin
06-05-2010, 01:28 AM
Dixon will be nothing more than a backup QB in this league...deal with it...

Lefty should be and will be the starter...

SF

steelreserve
06-05-2010, 05:03 AM
Well, jeez. You would think it's a little early to be deciding this. If it's true, it must mean Dixon really sucks balls.

In that case ... sucks that we didn't take Pike in the sixth round, since we definitely could've.

Mister Pittsburgh
06-05-2010, 08:48 AM
If Dixon can't start over Leftwich, he has no business on the team. I would have preferred choosing a QB in the mid rounds this draft, as there were some very interesting QB's in the mid rounds this draft. Personally I would like to see someone being groomed that may have the ability to start some day vs. a project that has capped out as a backup.

The Man of Steel
06-05-2010, 08:59 AM
Dixon will be nothing more than a backup QB in this league...deal with it...

Lefty should be and will be the starter...

SF

Dixon's awkward throwing motion pretty much rules him out as a franchise QB.

MaxAMillion
06-05-2010, 07:14 PM
How exactly does this count as a report? Where is the actual information?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
06-05-2010, 10:43 PM
How exactly does this count as a report? Where is the actual information?

Yes - that was my point in my post above - this seems like it's from http://www.trash4reporting.com !!

hawaiiansteel
06-05-2010, 10:46 PM
hey, if Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette says that “it has become obvious Byron Leftwich will open the season as the starting quarterback", that is a major scoop! :roll:

and you know it's true when Pro Football Talk confirms it... :D

Report: "Obvious" Leftwich will start Week One

Posted by Evan Silva on June 4, 2010

Somewhat buried at the end of a Pittsburgh Post-Gazette column on suspended Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is a straightforward prediction that Byron Leftwich will replace Roethlisberger during his 4-6 game ban.

The Post-Gazette's Ed Bouchette writes that "it has become obvious Byron Leftwich will open the season as the starting quarterback."

Leftwich has the edge on competitor Dennis Dixon in terms of experience and arm strength. Byron also took virtually all of the first-team OTA reps prior to Big Ben's reinstatement to offseason workouts.

It's still very surprising that Dixon wasn't given a fair shake. The Pittsburgh offensive line is not known for potent pass protection, and Dixon's superior mobility would seemingly make him a better bet behind the slow-footed front five. Leftwich has perhaps the slowest delivery of any quarterback in the league.

Dixon also didn't embarrass himself in his Week 12 spot start last season, with Roethlisberger nursing a concussion. Facing almost impossible odds at Baltimore, Dixon accounted for both of Pittsburgh's touchdowns (one rushing, one passing) in the 20-17 loss.

Coach Mike Tomlin has opted for a conservative approach. Considering Leftwich's injury history, though, Dixon remains a good bet to see early-season playing time prior to Roethlisberger's return.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -week-one/

Snatch98
06-05-2010, 10:58 PM
Well, jeez. You would think it's a little early to be deciding this. If it's true, it must mean Dixon really sucks balls.

In that case ... sucks that we didn't take Pike in the sixth round, since we definitely could've.

Or Bryon is just playing really well. Dixon played admirably against the Ravens last year and I imagine he'll continue to grow. Leftwich has played well for us, supposedly is in great shape and has more experience with our offense in game time situations. The Steelers never rush their players to play why would they start now if Leftwich is getting it done? Look how long Rodgers waited to see the field in GB? I'm not saying Dixon is Aaron Rodgers but you get the point. Oh and just a OBVIOUS FYI we have Big Ben. Dixon was never drafted to start. He was drafted to be a capable back up and who knows maybe draw some trade interest down the road if Pittsburgh isn't his fit. If you're going to showcase him you want the product to be finished. Sooo they'll let Dixon continue to develop and play the card the way it NEEDS TO BE PLAYED. You guys are amusing sometimes.

HeHateMe
06-06-2010, 01:59 AM
We have Big Ben UNTIL his next mishap. Then you will see the tears flow into the Three Rivers. LOL

hawaiiansteel
06-06-2010, 02:39 AM
http://agyapw.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/chicken_little.jpg

HeHateMe
06-06-2010, 05:06 AM
Agreed

BURGH86STEEL
06-06-2010, 09:28 AM

Or Bryon is just playing really well. Dixon played admirably against the Ravens last year and I imagine he'll continue to grow. Leftwich has played well for us, supposedly is in great shape and has more experience with our offense in game time situations. The Steelers never rush their players to play why would they start now if Leftwich is getting it done? Look how long Rodgers waited to see the field in GB? I'm not saying Dixon is Aaron Rodgers but you get the point. Oh and just a OBVIOUS FYI we have Big Ben. Dixon was never drafted to start. He was drafted to be a capable back up and who knows maybe draw some trade interest down the road if Pittsburgh isn't his fit. If you're going to showcase him you want the product to be finished. Sooo they'll let Dixon continue to develop and play the card the way it NEEDS TO BE PLAYED. You guys are amusing sometimes.

I never understand the extreme negative ideologies that some fans have regarding players. We would not support a very good team if our organization felt that way about players.

I'd like to see Dixon see the field. The coaches must not feel he is ready and I am good with that. They know more about what the players are capable of doing then anyone else. I have no problems with a veteran QB that won games in the league playing until Ben returns. It does not mean Dixon sucks if they choose Leftwich.

feltdizz
06-06-2010, 01:57 PM

What would Pike do for us this year? He wouldn't beat ot Lefty.

The Steelers are all about Defense... minimize the turnovers and make a few throws and we will go 4-0. The D, when healthy, will win the field position battle. Don't be surprised when we win convincingly these first 4 games.

Ben is the key to winning AFCCG's... the guy is clutch. However, part of the reason Ben has so many 4th quarter wins is because we squander a ton of opportunities in the middle of games.

HeHateMe
06-09-2010, 07:31 PM

What would Pike do for us this year? He wouldn't beat ot Lefty.

The Steelers are all about Defense... minimize the turnovers and make a few throws and we will go 4-0. The D, when healthy, will win the field position battle. Don't be surprised when we win convincingly these first 4 games.

Ben is the key to winning AFCCG's... the guy is clutch. However, part of the reason Ben has so many 4th quarter wins is because we squander a ton of opportunities in the middle of games.

This is exactly what I have been saying for years. We should not have a BUNCH of nail biters. We are supperior. We should blow teams out. Ben plays well when he feels like it. If Ben played like he played that last drive in SB 43, if he played like that 80% of the time we would be unbeatable. Leftwich will maximize every chance the defense gives him and our offense will be efficient under him and WE WILL go 4-0. When we do, Leftwich will get no credit, it will be given to the defense. Fine by me.

hawaiiansteel
06-09-2010, 08:48 PM
This is exactly what I have been saying for years. We should not have a BUNCH of nail biters. We are superior. We should blow teams out. Ben plays well when he feels like it.

you really think we are superior to other NFL teams and we should not have a bunch of nail biters when our defense goes on the field and we trot out guys like Tyrone Carter, Ryan Mundy, Willie Gay, Deshea Townsend and Joe Burnett to cover NFL receivers?

HeHateMe
06-09-2010, 09:21 PM
This is exactly what I have been saying for years. We should not have a BUNCH of nail biters. We are superior. We should blow teams out. Ben plays well when he feels like it.

you really think we are superior to other NFL teams and we should not have a bunch of nail biters when our defense goes on the field and we trot out guys like Tyrone Carter, Ryan Mundy, Willie Gay, Deshea Townsend and Joe Burnett to cover NFL receivers?
Joe Burnett has RARELY played for us. We won a SB with Townsend starting in 05. Tyrone Carter only played because of injury. We won a SB with Gay getting MAX minutes in 08.
In 08 we went 12-4 and Tyrone was rarely on the field, burnette was in college,Townsend won the Dallas game and Gay played well. We STILL had SEVERAL nail biters that season. Those same NAIL BITERS were lost in 09. The difference between 09 and 08 were the fact that we won the close games in 08 and lost them in 09. We also had MORE injuries in 08 than we did in 09 so don't use injuries as an excuse.

hawaiiansteel
06-13-2010, 02:21 AM

Joe Burnett has RARELY played for us. We won a SB with Townsend starting in 05. Tyrone Carter only played because of injury. We won a SB with Gay getting MAX minutes in 08.
In 08 we went 12-4 and Tyrone was rarely on the field, burnette was in college,Townsend won the Dallas game and Gay played well. We STILL had SEVERAL nail biters that season. Those same NAIL BITERS were lost in 09. The difference between 09 and 08 were the fact that we won the close games in 08 and lost them in 09. We also had MORE injuries in 08 than we did in 09 so don't use injuries as an excuse.

gee, I'm really going to miss you HeHateMe...wonder what your next alias will be? :moon