PDA

View Full Version : Essex, Pouncey, Foster at RG - why not Urbik?

hawaiiansteel
06-04-2010, 03:04 AM
Quote:

"Pittsburgh Steelers OL Trai Essex, OG Ramon Foster and C Maurkice Pouncey are expected to compete for the starting right guard position during training camp", reports Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

my question is: why is Kraig Urbik not in the mix at RG? i know they are trying him out at center, but we have Hartwig, Legursky and Pouncey there.

is Kraig Urbik in danger of not making the roster and could Essex possibly retain his starting RG position and put Pouncey on the bench to start the season?

Stewie
06-04-2010, 07:05 AM
Yes, Urbik is in danger of being cut.

Oviedo
06-04-2010, 07:52 AM
Pouncey and Urbik are the Center and RG combination of the future. Urbik is alot like Kemo in that he is primarily a Guard which is why he is getting experience at Center duringthese OTAs. Gameday back-ups on the OL have to be 2-position guys because they only dress seven. That is why Foster dressed last season and Urbik didn't. Foster, even though playing OG, had more experience at OT and could do a better job playing there in an emergency.

I don't think Urbik is in danger of being cut.

steelblood
06-04-2010, 07:55 AM
Bouchette has never been impressed with Urbik. Ed didn't mention him, but that doesn't me he isn't in the mix.

Ed isn't always paying attention. After all, he missed it when our #1 draft choice screamed out in pain and was down on the ground for several minutes with the injured toe.

phillyesq
06-04-2010, 10:05 AM
Pouncey and Urbik are the Center and RG combination of the future. Urbik is alot like Kemo in that he is primarily a Guard which is why he is getting experience at Center duringthese OTAs. Gameday back-ups on the OL have to be 2-position guys because they only dress seven. That is why Foster dressed last season and Urbik didn't. Foster, even though playing OG, had more experience at OT and could do a better job playing there in an emergency.

I don't think Urbik is in danger of being cut.

Pouncey and Urbik developing into the C and RG combo of the future is a best case scenario.

I agree that Urbik is getting reps at center to increase his flexibility and odds of making the active roster as a gameday backup. However, I think he is far from a lock to make the team. I'm not giving up on him, calling him a bust, or anything else, but as the Steelers showed with Bruce Davis, if Urbik doesn't step up in camp this year and show that he is improved, his spot is not guaranteed by virtue of his draft status.

Eddie Spaghetti
06-04-2010, 10:36 AM
urbik is soft as tits.

there is not one shred of evidence that points to him being the longterm answer at RG.

RussBII
06-04-2010, 10:57 AM
urbik is soft as tits.

there is not one shred of evidence that points to him being the longterm answer at RG.

"Soft as tits."

I just can't shake the feeling that isn't a bad thing... i mean i guess it is for an OL but... really...

Oviedo
06-04-2010, 11:02 AM
urbik is soft as tits.

Any evidence? Everything I have read is that he is bigger and stronger going through these OTAs.

steelblitz
06-04-2010, 11:35 AM
there is not one shred of evidence that points to him being the longterm answer at RG.Anything else is pure speculation and fantasy.

Now that's not saying it won't happen, but at this point you would have to think he's behind those three and Legs as well.

IMO, Legs and Urbik are competing for a spot to dress on gameday as backup OC/OG with Legs having a big edge.

Based off of what I say last year, and given Pounceys potential and that Hartwig sucks. I would start Pouncey at OC and Foster at RG.

If anyone can prove themselves as a swing tackle Essex could be on the bubble. He didn't have a good showing at RG last year and his age and progression are against him.

Urbik being a 3rd rounder ain't going anywhere soon, he'll be given plenty of opportunity.

aggiebones
06-04-2010, 11:57 AM
"Pouncey and Urbik developing into the C and RG combo of the future is a best case scenario."

I think we all know Hartwig has only this year left, then adios.

Pouncey moves to C and the Steelers won't want to hand over RG without a fight. I expect the Steelers to keep an extra interior OL this season. Unless of course one of them, including Urbik, shows a backward progression (oxymo). I think they will try to squeeze an extra one in there. Though with trying to better STs and keeping an extra QB and WR questions, not sure if this will be possible.
We'll see.

Pads aren't on yet, so who cares who looks good.

RuthlessBurgher
06-04-2010, 11:59 AM
IMO, Legs and Urbik are competing for a spot to dress on gameday as backup

Everyone back your favorite.

"I'm a Legs man!"

"I'm a Tits man!"

:lol: :Boobs

RuthlessBurgher
06-04-2010, 12:03 PM
soft as tits.

Ur doin it rong.

If you were doing it correctly, they do get harder. :wink: :Boobs

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
06-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Urbik has actually been playing 1st team C while Legursky was out. It seems he is settling in nicely which is good for him come gameday. All reports, including Bouchette, have been positive as of late on Urbik. He worked hard this offseason, his improved strength and conditioning is showing up along with his understanding of the playbook.

That being said, I don't think his job is secure. Starks, Kemo, Colon, and Pouncey are the only guys I would "pencil in". Than I would group Essex, Hartwig, and Foster in the "more than likely" category. I think Legursky, Urbik, and C Scott are in the "pick 2" category. I think Hills & J Scott are on the outside looking in right now. The rest are just camp bodies.

The longer Legursky, Urbik, and Pouncey play C in Hartwig's absence...The better the chance of Hartwig not making this roster. From what I hear, this staff is talking behind closed doors about the C play from Legursky, Urbik, & Pouncey. I think there is a more than realistic shot at their play being looked at with pads on deep into the preseason. Hartwig's surgery opened the door and there are some big, hungry, young players standing in the way from Hartiwg closing it. I personally think, all three will walk through that door and then close it behind them...Right in front of Hartwig. That's my opinion right now...

steelblitz
06-04-2010, 12:40 PM
The longer Legursky, Urbik, and Pouncey play C in Hartwig's absence...The better the chance of Hartwig not making this roster. From what I hear, this staff is talking behind closed doors about the C play from Legursky, Urbik, & Pouncey. I think there is a more than realistic shot at their play being looked at with pads on deep into the preseason. Hartwig's surgery opened the door and there are some big, hungry, young players standing in the way from Hartiwg closing it. I personally think, all three will walk through that door and then close it behind them...Right in front of Hartwig. That's my opinion right now...Well put, agreed.

All reports have been positive as of late on Urbik. He worked hard this offseason, his improved strength and conditioning is showing up along with his understanding of the playbook.Legs has already proven enough, IMO, to solidify his position as backup OC. Urbik needs to prove himself in pads on the field.

Discipline of Steel
06-04-2010, 06:22 PM
6-4-2010: The starting OL for the first game of the regular season will be
Starx, Kemo, Pouncey, Urbik, and Colon. Hartwig will be released.

Be Nostradamus :Beer

hawaiiansteel
06-08-2010, 03:52 AM

I agree with Starks, Kemo and Colon starting Opening Day. Pouncey could start at Center, most likely RG but there's a possibility he could beat out Hartwig. Urbik however will start Week 1 this season at RG when: :lol:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/55/113830985_09f377146d.jpg

ramblinjim
06-08-2010, 09:52 AM
I'm still going with:

Starks, Kemo, Legursky, Pouncey, Colon with Hartwig getting cut & Essex and Urbik being the backups.

ikestops85
06-08-2010, 10:31 AM
urbik is soft as tits.

Would that be saline or silicone? :Boobs

ramblinjim
06-08-2010, 11:55 AM

I agree with Starks, Kemo and Colon starting Opening Day. Pouncey could start at Center, most likely RG but there's a possibility he could beat out Hartwig. Urbik however will start Week 1 this season at RG when: :lol:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/55/113830985_09f377146d.jpg

Love the freezing over sign Hawaiian Steel!