PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben has had a propensity to buck authority

hawaiiansteel
06-04-2010, 02:26 AM
Taken from Dale Lolley's blog, NFL From The Sidelines...
---------------------

Wednesday, June 02, 2010

What's up

By all accounts, Ben Roethlisberger looked good in his first day back with the Steelers Tuesday. The quarterback even dropped some weight. It's nice to see he wasn't sitting around eating bon bons while banned from the team practice facility.

It's a positive sign for Roethlisberger because it shows that he's listening to somebody.

Roethlisberger's biggest problem in the past has been his propensity to buck authority.

It caused something of a rift between Roethlisberger and Bill Cowher and Roethlisberger and Ken Whisenhunt, who both wanted to keep their thumb, so to speak, on the young QB.

Mike Tomlin and, by extension, Bruce Arians gave the QB a little more leeway and Roethlisberger ran with it, his ego apparently growing by the day.

But Roethlisberger's run-in with the law in Georgia and subsequent suspension by the league may prove to be the wake-up call the QB needed.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

steelblood
06-04-2010, 07:57 AM
I think Dave is right on. A more humble Ben isn't a bad thing.

BURGH86STEEL
06-04-2010, 08:03 AM

I agree and only time will tell. I hope he is sincere about making the necessary changes to his life.

frankthetank1
06-04-2010, 08:06 AM

I agree and only time will tell. I hope he is sincere about making the necessary changes to his life.

i think he is sincere. if he isnt it could cost him millions

flippy
06-04-2010, 08:59 AM
This is one reason I was hoping we'd hire Whiz. He seems no nonsense and was gonna push Ben whether he liked it or not and wasn't going to try to be his best friend.

SteelAbility
06-04-2010, 09:12 AM
Humble off the field.
Cocky and confident (but not cavalier) on the field.

That's the Ben I'm hoping for.

phillyesq
06-04-2010, 10:06 AM
Humble off the field.
Cocky and confident (but not cavalier) on the field.

That's the Ben I'm hoping for.

:Agree

BURGH86STEEL
06-04-2010, 12:52 PM
This is one reason I was hoping we'd hire Whiz. He seems no nonsense and was gonna push Ben whether he liked it or not and wasn't going to try to be his best friend.

I don't think it would had mattered with Whiz or whatever coach the Steelers hired. That coach would be dealing with the same attitude from Ben.

Ben's issues outside of football is probably what was needed to change his attitude towards life. We can only hope the last incident made him realize how close he was to destroying his life. I say hope because he did not appear to learn anything from the other incidents. Time will tell.

aggiebones
06-04-2010, 02:51 PM
Whiz was there before and didn't keep Ben off a motorcycle or any other unknown dumb things he did as a young player.

Frankly, we all think a more in line Ben is a good thing, but maybe not.

Speaking from a total view, where he falls in line in life and on the field, maybe he doesn't hold the ball too long and maybe throws the ball away alot more and maybe just maybe he starts playing like Orton or some other Mr. Mediocre.
It doesn't matter cause he had to get in line, but someone bucking authority is not a bad thing. Those with great success in life often buck authority to a degree. Lemmings never run the show.
So here's to Ben keeping his fingers (and other appendages) to himself, but still being a seat of his pants type guy.

Prok
06-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Well put Aggiebones.

I'm fairly certain Ben will be fine and we'll be abetter team for what we've gone through. May not happen right away, but eventually it will. We must stop the Ben madness.

lol

Steel Life
06-04-2010, 09:53 PM
Again with the reporting rumor & innuendo as fact & treating Ben as though he's some sort of out-of-control beast who needs to be put-down or neutered in order to get back into everyone's good graces. Tell me...is this standard applied to everyone uniformly? I don't think so & wait for the inevitable hypocritical moment when Goodell says "Well, Ben's case was different..." when one of the someone else screws up. The only thing Goodell accomplished is making Ben look like a psychopath that needs "treatment" & sow seeds of doubt with anyone covering him...how does that help anything?

They want him to be like Peyton & Brady, but he isn't & he knows it...& maybe that's what we need to look at. He's not a pretty boy doing men's fashion ads or a brown-noser who always says what everyone wants to hear. He doesn't seem to like doing commercials or having "big" endorsements, he likes drinking, chasing women, riding motorcycles & playing football - & what's wrong with that? He doesn't need to become a saint - maybe what he needs to do is go the opposite direction...go all "Johnny Cash" on everyone & wear black all the time & be seen as the guy standing up to corporate football instead of the guy broken by it.

Sugar
06-04-2010, 10:34 PM
Again with the reporting rumor & innuendo as fact & treating Ben as though he's some sort of out-of-control beast who needs to be put-down or neutered in order to get back into everyone's good graces. Tell me...is this standard applied to everyone uniformly? I don't think so & wait for the inevitable hypocritical moment when Goodell says "Well, Ben's case was different..." when one of the someone else screws up. The only thing Goodell accomplished is making Ben look like a psychopath that needs "treatment" & sow seeds of doubt with anyone covering him...how does that help anything?

They want him to be like Peyton & Brady, but he isn't & he knows it...& maybe that's what we need to look at. He's not a pretty boy doing men's fashion ads or a brown-noser who always says what everyone wants to hear. He doesn't seem to like doing commercials or having "big" endorsements, he likes drinking, chasing women, riding motorcycles & playing football - & what's wrong with that? He doesn't need to become a saint - maybe what he needs to do is go the opposite direction...go all "Johnny Cash" on everyone & wear black all the time & be seen as the guy standing up to corporate football instead of the guy broken by it.

:Agree x2

Ben doesn't need to be watered down. People that have greatness in them often don't follow the same path as others. Ben hasn't done anything that many other celebrities haven't done, but somehow it's supposed to be different for him. Whatever. My hope is that he is able to play at the top of his considerable game this year even if there are only 10 games left in the season by the times he gets back.

feltdizz
06-05-2010, 12:37 PM
Ben likes bikes, chasing women and drinking...

He almost died without a helmet on a bike...

He was accused of rape and almost charged with sexual assault in the last year...

It's also obvious he lost a lot of beer/drinking weight since the punishment was handed down...

Just sayin'