PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin: No reason to rush Hartwig

fordfixer
06-03-2010, 12:34 AM
Tomlin: No reason to rush Hartwig
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, June 3, 2010
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 84204.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_684204.html)

Wide receiver Hines Ward is not the only starter the Steelers are bringing along slowly because of an injury.

Center Justin Hartwig has been limited during offseason practices as the ninth-year veteran is still recovering from the shoulder surgery he had following the 2009 season.

Coach Mike Tomlin said there is no reason to rush Hartwig given his experience and familiarity with the offense.

"It provides an opportunity for some young guys at the position to get quality (repetitions)," Tomlin said.

Doug Legursky has been working primarily with the first-team offense at center, while rookie Maurkice Pouncey has also been used there as well as at right guard.

Pouncey, a first-round draft pick, is considered the eventual successor to Hartwig at center. He could challenge Trai Essex for the starting job at right guard this season.

Hartwig isn't expected to be limited by his shoulder when the Steelers start preseason practice July 30.

Wilson enjoys challenge

Running back may be the position where the Steelers are least experienced. There is little depth behind Rashard Mendenhall, who is entering his second season as a starter, and backup Mewelde Moore.

But that doesn't mean running backs coach Kirby Wilson isn't up to the challenge of working with young players.

"I really enjoy their attitude and work ethic," Wilson said. "They want to learn, so it's fun right now."

Rookie Jonathan Dwyer, a sixth-round pick, and second-year man Isaac Redman are among those who will vie for a spot in a rotation during training camp.

Frank Summers, meanwhile, has been working primarily at fullback after seeing limited action at the position a year ago.

"We're trying to develop him as a top-level fullback," Wilson said of the 5-10, 230-pound Summers.

As for all of the players under his tutelage, Wilson said: "There are days I've got to control my emotions because it's about teaching, it's about coaching, it's about correcting. It's about knowing when to step on the gas and when to step off the gas."

Rookie watch

Coaches don't usually single out rookies - unless it is to correct their mistake — but cornerback Crezdon Butler has made an impression on secondary coach Ray Horton.

"(No.) 40 is rising," Horton said of Butler, a 6-1, 190-pounder drafted in the fifth round. "I know I'm talking about a rookie, but it looks like he's going to make our team better."

hawaiiansteel
06-03-2010, 01:56 AM
LOVE hearing what Horton is saying about Crezdon Butler, we need all the good young CBs we can get with Ike Taylor and Willie Gay entering the final year of their contracts... :tt2

Discipline of Steel
06-03-2010, 07:11 AM
No rush on Hartwig because he is going to get cut anyway

ramblinjim
06-03-2010, 07:14 AM
:Agree :Beer Come on Legursky, Pouncey & Urbik (although at 6'5", he's awfully tall to play center isn't he?)

Oviedo
06-03-2010, 07:45 AM
:Agree :Beer Come on Legursky, Pouncey & Urbik (although at 6'5", he's awfully tall to play center isn't he?)

Pouncey is too inexperienced and they won't take the risk of him starting at Center, Urbik is a Guard not a Center and if Legursky was good enough to displace Hartwig he would have already done it.

papillon
06-03-2010, 08:03 AM

Pouncey is too inexperienced and they won't take the risk of him starting at Center, Urbik is a Guard not a Center and if Legursky was good enough to displace Hartwig he would have already done it.

Hartwig has experience of Legursky as well. Hartwig won't finish the season as the starting center. He may be displaced by the time Ben is done serving the suspension. The Steelers need an upgrade in the middle of their offensive line and while a rookie or second year man may not be an immediate upgrade at some point Legursky or Pouncey will be worth the risk of not having experience at center.

I believe it will happen this year.

Pappy

SteelHoss
06-03-2010, 01:11 PM

Hartwig has experience of Legursky as well. Hartwig won't finish the season as the starting center. He may be displaced by the time Ben is done serving the suspension. The Steelers need an upgrade in the middle of their offensive line and while a rookie or second year man may not be an immediate upgrade at some point Legursky or Pouncey will be worth the risk of not having experience at center.

Pappy

I'm inclined to agree with you Pap. Legursky has improved every season and the coaches seem very pleased with his progression as evidenced with his handling 1st team duties in Hartwig's absence in this spring's OTAs. Don't let anybody think that the coaches are'nt giving the big Legursky a hard look right now. Of course its still football in shorts, but I'm thinking the O line is beginning to look much better on paper. I'm also thinking that the new coach, Kugler, is going to be a dramatic improvement over Dirty Larry.

Oviedo
06-03-2010, 01:17 PM

Pappy

I'm inclined to agree with you Pap. Legursky has improved every season and the coaches seem very pleased with his progression as evidenced with his handling 1st team duties in Hartwig's absence in this spring's OTAs. Don't let anybody think that the coaches are'nt giving the big Legursky a hard look right now. Of course its still football in shorts, but I'm thinking the O line is beginning to look much better on paper. I'm also thinking that the new coach, Kugler, is going to be a dramatic improvement over Dirty Larry.

I think Darnell Stapleton took some 1st team reps a couple of years ago and I seem to recall that also due to injury or resting Hartings Chukky Okobi took 1st team reps during OTAs. How'd that work out for them?

IMO Legursky = Okobi.

Ghost
06-03-2010, 01:28 PM
LOVE hearing what Horton is saying about Crezdon Butler, we need all the good young CBs we can get with Ike Taylor and Willie Gay entering the final year of their contracts... :tt2

I wish we'd seen the last of Gay. He was downright terrible last year.

SteelHoss
06-03-2010, 01:45 PM
If you recall OV Okobi injured his neck and was'nt quite the same after that. Whiz thought enough of him to give him a shot, but like I said it seems he left something on the field with that injury. Stapleton's knee injury apparently has put him out of the game. The team certainly lost interest in him in a hurry after that. IMHO Legursky ain't going anywhere. He will be the backup to Pouncey or whoever establishes himself as the starter. Besides...he may have to play full back again. LOL! :D

Call me the ultimate optimist, but I believe Gay will turn things around this year. :tt1

Oviedo
06-03-2010, 02:08 PM
If you recall OV Okobi injured his neck and was'nt quite the same after that. Whiz thought enough of him to give him a shot, but like I said it seems he left something on the field with that injury. Stapleton's knee injury apparently has put him out of the game. The team certainly lost interest in him in a hurry after that. IMHO Legursky ain't going anywhere. He will be the backup to Pouncey or whoever establishes himself as the starter. Besides...he may have to play full back again. LOL! :D

Call me the ultimate optimist, but I believe Gay will turn things around this year. :tt1

I totally agree that Legursky's role on this team will be as a BACKUP or emergency starter due to injury. Unless Hartwig is totally broke he is going to be our starter until next season when Pouncey takes over.

Regardless of what Gay does, I think both Burnett and Lewis will pass him this season. Sounds like Crezdon Butler is also doing very well so far. Whith those three on the roster, Gay is in the final year of his contract and will not be resigned.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
06-04-2010, 11:01 PM
Tomlin: No reason to rush Hartwig
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, June 3, 2010
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 84204.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_684204.html)

Frank Summers, meanwhile, has been working primarily at fullback after seeing limited action at the position a year ago.

"We're trying to develop him as a top-level fullback," Wilson said of the 5-10, 230-pound Summers.

:shock: Whoah!!! Did anyone else catch that?

Did Wilson "clear that stament" with Arians???

NJ-STEELER
06-05-2010, 02:48 AM
the little i've seen of leguarsky, i think its safe to say he wont get bulled over as much as like does.

he seems incredibly strong.

that an improvement right there. now, if he can gain the experience to make line calls and and the such, i wouldn't mind seeing him start ahead of justin