PDA

View Full Version : Jonathon Dwyer

SteelCrazy
05-30-2010, 11:46 AM
Will he prove to be the steal everone says he is or will he be remembered as another 6th round pick that didnt make a difference?

Wallace108
05-30-2010, 01:25 PM
I think he was a steal, but barring injuries, we probably won't see much of him this year unless he leapfrogs Moore and becomes the 3rd-down back.

Prok
05-30-2010, 01:35 PM
I was thinking the poll question would be whether he makes the roster or not. lol

I went with under 500 as it's hard to see a 6th rounder contribute much his first season. Unless we get decimated by injury or something.

focosteeler
05-30-2010, 01:39 PM
500 or less i think this is mendy's season! :tt1 he will see some short yardage stuff i think and play more special teams than anything. hopefully he will get a decent amount of td's though help us on those 4th and goal from the 1

ALLD
05-30-2010, 02:12 PM
If he comes in it will be mostly 3rd down short yardage, blocking or catching out of the backfield. He came out of school early, so he has time on his side right now to work on his game.

hawaiiansteel
05-30-2010, 08:11 PM
I was thinking the poll question would be whether he makes the roster or not. lol

I went with under 500 as it's hard to see a 6th rounder contribute much his first season. Unless we get decimated by injury or something.

great minds obviously think alike because this is exactly what i was going to say... :Cheers

steelreserve
05-30-2010, 08:30 PM
I think he'll do well when called upon ... which will not be often. We do seem to have a fondness for going all-in with one running back for the whole season. Used to be Parker-or-nothing, now it's probably Mendenhall-or-nothing.

I'm not complaining about that, mind you. Mendenhall is looking like 10 times the RB Parker was, which is why that approach works when we try it with him (and didn't work very well with Parker). But the reality is, barring injury, I don't see Dwyer or any other RB breaking 100 carries for the year.

I do think Dwyer has an excellent shot at winning the #2 job from Moore. Everything I've read seems to indicate that Moore has been falling out of favor with the head coach, and we're looking to move on after this season anyway.

Shawn
05-30-2010, 08:38 PM
I don't think total yardage is a fair way to gauge the effectiveness of his rookie season. I see him running for around 3-400 yards but I also see him moving some chains, spelling Mendy effectively, and banging out some tough yards in the redzone.

Preacher
05-30-2010, 08:40 PM
I think he'll do well when called upon ... which will not be often. We do seem to have a fondness for going all-in with one running back for the whole season. Used to be Parker-or-nothing, now it's probably Mendenhall-or-nothing.

I'm not complaining about that, mind you. Mendenhall is looking like 10 times the RB Parker was, which is why that approach works when we try it with him (and didn't work very well with Parker). But the reality is, barring injury, I don't see Dwyer or any other RB breaking 100 carries for the year.

I do think Dwyer has an excellent shot at winning the #2 job from Moore. Everything I've read seems to indicate that Moore has been falling out of favor with the head coach, and we're looking to move on after this season anyway.

SR. :moon

Go back and look at last years game stats. Willie in teh last half was the better runner. Why? Because he came in as the change up back.

I don't think it is about Mendy or Willie. It is about grinding a runner into a ground when your front line can't open up holes. Towards the last half of the year, they were getting better, and as a result, both Willie and Mendy started having better runs.

No, I don't want Mendy ran like Willie. I think that is a foolish thing to do. If Dwyer can run, he needs to get 10 or so touches a game IMO unless it is either 1. A tight game or 2. A very bad pass defense.

I think Dwyer therefore will get 3-500 yards this year. Just depends on how MeMo looks. But last year, he didn't look that good either. His first year with us may have been an aberration, and now we have his norm.

steelreserve
05-30-2010, 09:06 PM
Go back and look at last years game stats. Willie in teh last half was the better runner. Why? Because he came in as the change up back.

I don't think it is about Mendy or Willie. It is about grinding a runner into a ground when your front line can't open up holes. Towards the last half of the year, they were getting better, and as a result, both Willie and Mendy started having better runs.

Exactly. Parker started doing better toward the end of the year because we were using him in the role he should've had all along. He was a specialty back, and when we tried to force him into the role of an every-down back, it was a round peg and a square hole ... which is why he sucked balls.

Mendenhall fits the profile of a "feature back" (much as I hate that term) a lot better than Parker. His game is a lot more well-rounded, and the yardage he gains seems to be of the kind that actually helps keep drives moving -- not the streaky bull**** that gets you one first down with a 15-yard run, and then puts you at third-and-19 with two runs up the middle for no gain and a holding penalty, and you still have to punt.

Bottom line is, I think Mendenhall is cut out to do the every-down role far, FAR better than Parker ever was. The reason for Parker's failure was Parker, and it's not realistic to take that as a "warning sign" of what a different back -- and a far superior one in every aspect IMO -- will do if we put him in that situation.

Preacher
05-30-2010, 10:48 PM

Exactly. Parker started doing better toward the end of the year because we were using him in the role he should've had all along. He was a specialty back, and when we tried to force him into the role of an every-down back, it was a round peg and a square hole ... which is why he sucked balls.

Mendenhall fits the profile of a "feature back" (much as I hate that term) a lot better than Parker. His game is a lot more well-rounded, and the yardage he gains seems to be of the kind that actually helps keep drives moving -- not the streaky bull**** that gets you one first down with a 15-yard run, and then puts you at third-and-19 with two runs up the middle for no gain and a holding penalty, and you still have to punt.

Bottom line is, I think Mendenhall is cut out to do the every-down role far, FAR better than Parker ever was. The reason for Parker's failure was Parker, and it's not realistic to take that as a "warning sign" of what a different back -- and a far superior one in every aspect IMO -- will do if we put him in that situation.

And yet, Mendy was the very same Streaky ------ during the last half of last year. I lost count how many times he got caught for a loss. Then, he'd bust one 20, 30 yards and up his average. Willie would then come in, and hit 7, 8, 9 yard carries. Why? Not because he "was made for that" but because Mendy was taking all the abuse... tiring the lines, and Willie's fresh speed was a killer. Before that, Willie was taking all the abuse, and Mendy's fresh speed was a killer.

We're never going to agree on this. . . . I just think that Willie represented the move from 3 yards and a cloud of dust mentality to a lot of Steelersfans-warranted or unwarranted.

ricardisimo
05-31-2010, 04:33 AM
I'm not so sure that yards are the point. If he makes an impact at all this season, it might be at goal-line, with which every Steeler RB since Bettis appears to have had some pretty serious problems at times. Rashard's no different.

I sincerely doubt it will happen, but conceivably we could have a similar situation as Tennessee had in 2008 with LenDale, where he didn't get many yards, but he sure as hell got TDs.

stlrz d
05-31-2010, 06:31 AM
I'm not so sure that yards are the point. If he makes an impact at all this season, it might be at goal-line, with which every Steeler RB since Bettis appears to have had some pretty serious problems at times. Rashard's no different.

I sincerely doubt it will happen, but conceivably we could have a similar situation as Tennessee had in 2008 with LenDale, where he didn't get many yards, but he sure as hell got TDs.

I'll take 5 yards and 3 TDs from him every game! :lol:

Don't remember who it was Bussey did that against, but that's an actual Bettis stat line for one game.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-31-2010, 10:15 PM
Will he prove to be the steal everone says he is or will he be remembered as another 6th round pick that didnt make a difference?

Why can't he be both. His rookie year does not have to be the make and break year for him. I can see him starting off this year as the short yardage back but evolving into a reliable stablemate for RM as his career gets going.

Sugar
05-31-2010, 11:52 PM

Why can't he be both. His rookie year does not have to be the make and break year for him. I can see him starting off this year as the short yardage back but evolving into a reliable stablemate for RM as his career gets going.

That's my thinking too. I'm not thinking that he has to have a Peterson-esque rookie year to be a real difference-maker for the team.

Oviedo
06-01-2010, 09:50 AM
I think that Dwyer and Mendehall will prove to be a solid combination. Relaistically, Dwyer will be getting his feet wet this year but I think we will see enough to be excited about the Dwyer and Mendy combo for the next several years. Not much of a future for other backs on the roster unless they can block or return kicks.

SteelAbility
06-01-2010, 10:48 AM
I think this will greatly depend on how he does the first couple of games in which he plays. I can see the guy getting 35 yards a game. He has a lot of power which, alone, makes him serviceable. If he shows signs of playing a role in solving the short yardage problems, he could end up seeing a lot more carries than rookies normally get.

ikestops85
06-01-2010, 11:38 AM
Wow, this is deja vue from last year except Dwyer's name has been substituted for Summers. Dwyer is a 6th rounder who better show something in camp when the hitting starts. If he does that he can stick with the team. If he doesn't then it is bye bye.

Being a 6th rounder he won't get the break Mendy got his rookie season. Mendy was pretty bad in training camp his rookie year and if he were a late rounder he would have been cut IMO.

Moore will be Mendy's backup this year ... Tomlin loves the guy and he has been one of our most consistent performers. Dwyer, Summers and Redman will all fight for the scraps left over and they better be able to play special teams.