PDA

View Full Version : Steelers stories

Wallace108
05-29-2010, 12:55 PM
Since there's not much Steelers news right now, does anyone have any funny or interesting Steelers stories? I have a few, but I'll share this one (it's neither funny nor interesting, but it is long):

My wife, whom I've been married to for 16 years, always hated football. I tried and tried to get her to watch games with me, but the only game she ever watched was the Steelers-Seahawks Super Bowl ... and that was only because we were with friends whose wives are Steelers fans, so she had no choice.

Then three summers ago, she told me she wanted a new winter coat. I jokingly told her I'd only buy her a Steelers coat. And to my utter shock, she said OK. :shock:

After wearing the coat to work that winter, some of her co-workers, who are Browns fans, starting giving her grief. She asked me to give her some things she could say to burn them. And that was the beginning of her Steelers education. :Beer

Then one Sunday two seasons ago, she wandered into my Steelers room at the beginning of a game with a bowl of popcorn and a Smirnoff ... she sat down and watched the game. And she didn't just watch ... she CHEERED. :tt1
After years of trying unsuccessfully to get her to take an interest in the Steelers, Browns fans accomplished it for me. :lol:

During the final game of the regular season, we all witnessed Lendale White and the Terrible Towel incident. I took this opportunity to educate her about the Terrible Towel curse. She thought I was a lunatic. :roll:

But after the Titans got knocked out in their first game and the Steelers went on to the Super Bowl, I thought she understood the power of the Towel. :tt2

Then on Super Bowl Sunday, she comes home from the store with ... Steelers POM POMS. :wft
I explained to her that we don't have cheerleaders. WE are the cheerleaders. And we wave the Terrible Towel, not pom poms. She told me if I wanted to live to watch the game, I'd better hang them somewhere in our Steelers room. :owned

So as I was hanging the pom poms up next to my collection of Steelers hats, I looked at my teenage son and said, "I've got a bad feeling these pom poms are going to cost us the game!" He, too, thought I was a lunatic. :evil:

Flashforward to the end of the game ... the Cardinals are driving. I'm screaming for our defense to stop them. I knew what needed to be done ... I tossed the Terrible Towel to my wife and said, "WAVE IT!!"

And then it happened ...

She dropped the Towel on the ground, went over and grabbed the pom poms, and started waving them. As God as my witness, the very next play Fitzgerald splits the Steelers D for the go-ahead touchdown. :HeadBanger

I stood up, looked at my son, and yelled, "WHAT DID I TELL YOU? I KNEW THOSE D@MN POP POMS WERE GOING TO COST US THE GAME!!!" I walked over to her, grabbed the pom poms out of her hands and threw them in the trash. I knew the game was over, so I went outside to sulk alone for a few minutes. When I came back in, the Steelers were driving. My despair was turning to hope. I saw the Towel laying on the floor, picked it up, and told her to WAVE IT!! She did. And a few plays later, we know what happened. :Clap

Now I have a wife who loves watching games with me and who fully understands the power of the Terrible Towel and what happens to those who disrespect it. :tt2

My next mission is to convince her that Baywatch was the greatest TV show ever ...
:Boobs

stillers4me
05-29-2010, 01:01 PM
Wallace108...that is a GREAT story! Please get your wife her very own Terrible Towel for this season....we are going to need it.

Wallace108
05-29-2010, 01:06 PM
Wallace108...that is a GREAT story! Please get your wife her very own Terrible Towel for this season....we are going to need it.
Thanks, stillers4me. I'm definitely getting one for her.

D Rock
05-29-2010, 01:35 PM
You have to let her get it for herself. She needs to really feel the connection with it.

Wallace108
05-29-2010, 06:04 PM
You have to let her get it for herself. She needs to really feel the connection with it.
I told her your idea, D Rock. She wasn't amused. http://forum.case.edu/smileys/bangin.gif. Apparently, she feels more of a connection when I spend MY money. Her fan status is still a work in progress.

SteelHoss
05-29-2010, 07:13 PM
Good story. I really enjoyed reading it. I did something similar with my wife who professes to hate not only the Steelers, but sports in general. That said, she loves Troy P. I bought her a #43 jersey at the beginning of the '08 season just to see if she would wear it. Wonder of wonders she thanked me for buying it. She wears it on game days and when she thinks its fashionable. After 21 years of marriage I think I made a little progress. LOL! :tt1

Wallace108
05-29-2010, 07:37 PM
Good story. I really enjoyed reading it. I did something similar with my wife who professes to hate not only the Steelers, but sports in general. That said, she loves Troy P. I bought her a #43 jersey at the beginning of the '08 season just to see if she would wear it. Wonder of wonders she thanked me for buying it. She wears it on game days and when she thinks its fashionable. After 21 years of marriage I think I made a little progress. LOL! :tt1
Nice!!
My wife also loves Troy. Must be something about him. :Bow
I got a Troy jersey a few years ago, but when we go somewhere for a game and I talk her into wearing a jersey, she always wants Troy's. That leaves me with my Ben Jersey. Now there's no chance she'll wear the Ben jersey, so I might as well just have her name sewn onto the back of the Troy jersey.

SteelHoss
05-29-2010, 08:52 PM
Troy must have some super manly aura or something that is extra attractive to women . Could it be the hair? LOL! I wonder if he knows that that side of him is helping Steeler Nation to grow. :D

Wallace108
05-30-2010, 01:37 AM
Troy must have some super manly aura or something that is extra attractive to women . Could it be the hair? LOL!
Hmmm, here I thought they just recognized his superior skill at the safety position. :lol:

AngryAsian
05-30-2010, 08:33 AM
Since there's not much Steelers news right now, does anyone have any funny or interesting Steelers stories? I have a few, but I'll share this one (it's neither funny nor interesting, but it is long):

My wife, whom I've been married to for 16 years, always hated football. I tried and tried to get her to watch games with me, but the only game she ever watched was the Steelers-Seahawks Super Bowl ... and that was only because we were with friends whose wives are Steelers fans, so she had no choice.

Then three summers ago, she told me she wanted a new winter coat. I jokingly told her I'd only buy her a Steelers coat. And to my utter shock, she said OK. :shock:

After wearing the coat to work that winter, some of her co-workers, who are Browns fans, starting giving her grief. She asked me to give her some things she could say to burn them. And that was the beginning of her Steelers education. :Beer

Then one Sunday two seasons ago, she wandered into my Steelers room at the beginning of a game with a bowl of popcorn and a Smirnoff ... she sat down and watched the game. And she didn't just watch ... she CHEERED. :tt1
After years of trying unsuccessfully to get her to take an interest in the Steelers, Browns fans accomplished it for me. :lol:

During the final game of the regular season, we all witnessed Lendale White and the Terrible Towel incident. I took this opportunity to educate her about the Terrible Towel curse. She thought I was a lunatic. :roll:

But after the Titans got knocked out in their first game and the Steelers went on to the Super Bowl, I thought she understood the power of the Towel. :tt2

Then on Super Bowl Sunday, she comes home from the store with ... Steelers POM POMS. :wft
I explained to her that we don't have cheerleaders. WE are the cheerleaders. And we wave the Terrible Towel, not pom poms. She told me if I wanted to live to watch the game, I'd better hang them somewhere in our Steelers room. :owned

So as I was hanging the pom poms up next to my collection of Steelers hats, I looked at my teenage son and said, "I've got a bad feeling these pom poms are going to cost us the game!" He, too, thought I was a lunatic. :evil:

Flashforward to the end of the game ... the Cardinals are driving. I'm screaming for our defense to stop them. I knew what needed to be done ... I tossed the Terrible Towel to my wife and said, "WAVE IT!!"

And then it happened ...

She dropped the Towel on the ground, went over and grabbed the pom poms, and started waving them. As God as my witness, the very next play Fitzgerald splits the Steelers D for the go-ahead touchdown. :HeadBanger

I stood up, looked at my son, and yelled, "WHAT DID I TELL YOU? I KNEW THOSE D@MN POP POMS WERE GOING TO COST US THE GAME!!!" I walked over to her, grabbed the pom poms out of her hands and threw them in the trash. I knew the game was over, so I went outside to sulk alone for a few minutes. When I came back in, the Steelers were driving. My despair was turning to hope. I saw the Towel laying on the floor, picked it up, and told her to WAVE IT!! She did. And a few plays later, we know what happened. :Clap

Now I have a wife who loves watching games with me and who fully understands the power of the Terrible Towel and what happens to those who disrespect it. :tt2

My next mission is to convince her that Baywatch was the greatest TV show ever ...
:Boobs

Phenomenal story... wish my wife would do the same, but maybe when I've vested as many years, wearing her guard down it will happen. As of now, she watches my daughter and I do our traditional Steelers TT waving ceremony before every game... and she has finally acquired a Steeler's t-shirt (purchased by me, of course). I figure by the time my daughter and I start going to games together, she'll be the odd-man out and will have no choice in the matter.

As for a Steeler Story... my only one is that my daughter was born Jan. 30th 2006, I photoshopped a newborn picture of her with a Steeler skully. Took the picture and made a button, wore the button to the SB party I went to... finally saw my beloved Steelers win one for the thumb. One of the best weeks of my life.

Discipline of Steel
05-30-2010, 10:36 AM
OK, im dating myself with this story but its pretty good...

Back in 79, it was an awesome year for me to be a sports fan. Steelers SB, Pirates World Series, and Spartans NCAA championship with Magic Johnson. I lived in a smaller town in Michigan called Jackson. Happened to be the same hometown of one of our CB, Tony Dungy. I think he tied for NFL lead with 6 interceptions that year... Anyway, being in middle school, i thought it was a good idea to look him up in the phone book and give him a call. To my surprise, he answered and we soon had plans for him to come to my school for an interview. So he came in and we taped a private interview, he said i asked harder questions than most of the sports reporters. Best part was, he had a big ole 'fro, to see him now you would never guess...

slashsteel
05-30-2010, 11:02 AM
I have many stories. Some over time I will share. Sick right now, Bronchitis is trying to kick my arse. But I will say this. I am such the diehard fanatic that I have come to realize. That the only girlfriend I will accept in my life is that one that cheers on the Steelers. In fact the one I am talking to now is a Steeler fan, was one way before I met her. I had ex's that pretended to understand my obsession. They just didn't get it. Asking me questions like. "slash do you love the Steelers more than me? what if a emergency?" Of course I am going to take you to the hospital. But the second I know you are alright its back to the Steeler bar for me. What you think I am actually going to miss a game? lmao be for real.

StillSpotz
05-30-2010, 11:12 AM
Great stories. I've been a Steelers fan since 1975, when I was 5 years old. Been to plenty of games in Houston and Dallas, but had never seen anything other than Pirates games in Pittsburgh during my annual summer visits to see my grandparents. After they won SB XL, I decided I had to make it to the opening game against Miami in 2006.

My now ex-wife and I stayed on the Mexican War Streets at a cool Bed & Breakfast. We had our share of issues, but I was making one last attempt at the game to see if we could make things work. She had always wanted a better wedding ring (Big and gaudy) compared to the one I got her right after college. She was wearing a fake cubic zirconia and asked me to hold it for her bc it was bugging her. When we got to the tailgate, she asked to have it back and that's when I sprung the new one on her. She was ecstatic and things were going great..........until

About the middle of the 2nd quarter. She looks at me and asks, "So, I can take this back and get one I really want, right?" :wft

Right then and there it was over for me. I told her "you are really gonna ask me this right now, during the Fricken game?" I then told her what a piece of sh!t she was and to leave so I can enjoy the game. One of the best days ever for me. Got to see my Steelers win at Heinz Field, and gained my freedom all at the same time. Will never forget that moment!!

slashsteel
05-30-2010, 11:28 AM
To talk about something during a football game other than the Steelers, I would have kicked her to the curb as well. Besides if a woman isnt happy with what you buy her to me that send out alarms as well. I dont go for high maintenence females. If what I buy isn't good enough for you go find someone else.

Wallace108
05-30-2010, 11:38 AM
As for a Steeler Story... my only one is that my daughter was born Jan. 30th 2006, I photoshopped a newborn picture of her with a Steeler skully. Took the picture and made a button, wore the button to the SB party I went to... finally saw my beloved Steelers win one for the thumb. One of the best weeks of my life.
That's awesome! When my son was born, of course we brought him home from the hospital decked out in Steelers gear ...
As far as your wife, buy her a Steelers coat ... worked for me!! :lol:

I lived in a smaller town in Michigan called Jackson. Happened to be the same hometown of one of our CB, Tony Dungy. I think he tied for NFL lead with 6 interceptions that year... Anyway, being in middle school, i thought it was a good idea to look him up in the phone book and give him a call. To my surprise, he answered and we soon had plans for him to come to my school for an interview.
Meeting players ALWAYS makes for a great story. I have a few neat experiences I'll share another time.

Asking me questions like. "slash do you love the Steelers more than me? what if a emergency?" Of course I am going to take you to the hospital. But the second I know you are alright its back to the Steeler bar for me. What you think I am actually going to miss a game? lmao be for real.
http://www.pushupstairs.com/images/emoticon/extra3/jester.gif
You are wrong in so many ways ... but I'm just as wrong. :lol:
Our son was due in late January and the Steelers were in the playoffs. I told my wife, "Just in case the Steelers make the Super Bowl and you go into labor, it would probably be a good idea to have a backup for me to be in the delivery room."
I don't remember how she responded ... I must have blacked out. :lol:

Wallace108
05-30-2010, 11:43 AM
Great stories. I've been a Steelers fan since 1975, when I was 5 years old. Been to plenty of games in Houston and Dallas, but had never seen anything other than Pirates games in Pittsburgh during my annual summer visits to see my grandparents. After they won SB XL, I decided I had to make it to the opening game against Miami in 2006.

My now ex-wife and I stayed on the Mexican War Streets at a cool Bed & Breakfast. We had our share of issues, but I was making one last attempt at the game to see if we could make things work. She had always wanted a better wedding ring (Big and gaudy) compared to the one I got her right after college. She was wearing a fake cubic zirconia and asked me to hold it for her bc it was bugging her. When we got to the tailgate, she asked to have it back and that's when I sprung the new one on her. She was ecstatic and things were going great..........until

About the middle of the 2nd quarter. She looks at me and asks, "So, I can take this back and get one I really want, right?" :wft

Right then and there it was over for me. I told her "you are really gonna ask me this right now, during the Fricken game?" I then told her what a piece of sh!t she was and to leave so I can enjoy the game. One of the best days ever for me. Got to see my Steelers win at Heinz Field, and gained my freedom all at the same time. Will never forget that moment!!
:shock:
I wasn't sure if that was going to have a happy ending or a sad ending!!!
Sometimes things have a way of working out for the best ...

stillers4me
05-30-2010, 11:46 AM
Great stories,guys...keep'em coming.

And yes, we Steelers babes DO recognize Troy's amazing and unique style of play. (When we stop drooling, that is)

slashsteel
05-30-2010, 11:51 AM
I think I would wait until July to knock a girl up. Can never be too safe ! :Beer

Wallace108
05-30-2010, 12:08 PM
And yes, we Steelers babes DO recognize Troy's amazing and unique style of play. (When we stop drooling, that is)
LOL ... I hope all you ladies know that Troy likes to play rough. http://www.freewebspace.net/forums/images/new/xyxnervous.gif

Wallace108
05-30-2010, 12:09 PM
I think I would wait until July to knock a girl up. Can never be too safe ! :Beer
Slashsteel, for some reason, I don't think you're joking. :lol:

NC Steeler Fan
05-30-2010, 12:51 PM
I ususally drive up for training camp in Latrobe every year. (That's right, I hit the road for a 9 hour drive all by myself to meet up with my Steeler Sisters in da burgh and leave the poor deadskins fan I married at home for the weekend.)

Anyways, I've run into Steelers in the grocery store, the bars, etc., etc., but the best story I have is being in the Walmart across from Sharkey's several years ago. I hear from the store clerks that Joey's in the store, but he's in a bit of a mood from all the attention (I guess sometimes it can be a pain when you're just out shopping and trying to live a normal life sometimes :lol).

I'm cruising around the aisles myself when I turn to go up the linens aisle, look up and there's Mr. Porter looking a bed sheets, presumably for the dorm room at St. Vincent's.

So, rather than flip out and gawk at him, I casually walk by, catch his eye, smile and say:

"It ain't easy bein' Peezy is it?"

He broke out in the biggest smile and started to laugh out loud.

I laughed back, stuck out my hand to shake his and he returned the favor.

I just thanked him, nodded my head and went on down the aisle like nothing happened.

My other story has to do with Mean Joe Greene and a ratbird fan who showed up in camp one year wearing a *gag* 52 jersey. But, I gotta run so will share that one later. :wink:

Wallace108
05-30-2010, 01:00 PM
"It ain't easy bein' Peezy is it?"
That is outstanding! I never would have thought to say something like that.

Prok
05-30-2010, 04:27 PM
Slashsteel, for some reason, I don't think you're joking. :lol:

lol

Slashy is definately 1 of a kind. Cracks me up as well.

Check out his myspace and mock drafts he does. He puts a ton of work into studying the draft etc.

He's also big on graphics. Look no further than his myspace for proof. lol

BTW GREAT stories all !! :tt1

slashsteel
05-30-2010, 05:10 PM
Prok stop pimping me. :Beer And Wallace yes I was serious ! lol

SteelHoss
05-30-2010, 09:43 PM
That's awesome! When my son was born, of course we brought him home from the hospital decked out in Steelers gear ...
As far as your wife, buy her a Steelers coat ... worked for me!! :lol:

I lived in a smaller town in Michigan called Jackson. Happened to be the same hometown of one of our CB, Tony Dungy. I think he tied for NFL lead with 6 interceptions that year... Anyway, being in middle school, i thought it was a good idea to look him up in the phone book and give him a call. To my surprise, he answered and we soon had plans for him to come to my school for an interview.
Meeting players ALWAYS makes for a great story. I have a few neat experiences I'll share another time.

Asking me questions like. "slash do you love the Steelers more than me? what if a emergency?" Of course I am going to take you to the hospital. But the second I know you are alright its back to the Steeler bar for me. What you think I am actually going to miss a game? lmao be for real.
http://www.pushupstairs.com/images/emoticon/extra3/jester.gif
You are wrong in so many ways ... but I'm just as wrong. :lol:
Our son was due in late January and the Steelers were in the playoffs. I told my wife, "Just in case the Steelers make the Super Bowl and you go into labor, it would probably be a good idea to have a backup for me to be in the delivery room."
I don't remember how she responded ... I must have blacked out. :lol:

Man...if I would have said something like that to my wife they'd still be picking me up off the floor. Whew! LOL!

Wallace108
05-30-2010, 10:09 PM
Man...if I would have said something like that to my wife they'd still be picking me up off the floor. Whew! LOL!
Rely on a basic boxing skill, SteelHoss .... bob and weave ....... bob and weave. http://www.pushupstairs.com/images/emoticon/extra3/box.gif :lol:

siss
05-30-2010, 11:11 PM
I have a different sort of story.
My hubby and I have a tradition. During half time of Steelers we ummmm get busy because its good luck (I better get some sort of cool chick label for confessing that to a bunch of men). Well in one of those games during Dec 2008 we produced a child. In early 2009 during the Chargers game I was so tired I fell asleep and missed the last half of the Steelers beating the chargers. I knew something was up, because I usually can't sleep after a Steelers win. So I took a pregnancy test a week later and lo and behold it was positive later that day the steelers won the AFC championship game. Two weeks later I was sick as a dog with morning sickness, when the game started I was fine and that was when I knew I was having a boy (we didn't know the sex until he was born). Plus we had just made the announcement to my parents. So from now on super bowl 43 will always remind me of my early pregnancy.

Now here is where things get weird.
So then April rolls around and the NFL schedule comes out. My due date was Sept 21, which was the day the Steelers were to play the Bears. My husband is a Bears fan (they are his NFC team) and we were going to go to the Steelers/Bears game in soldier field that year. We joked that instead we would be in labor and delivery.

The first time my son kicked was when i was watching a replay of a steelers game on the NFL network.

Well Sept comes around and we are preparing for the little bundle of joy and the NFL season. I go to my normal appointment and the doc says your going to labor and delivery. This was tuesday before the season started. Wednesday night I was induced and Thursday morning, sept 10th, I delivered a happy healthy baby boy that was 7LBS and 7 ounces and 17 inches long. That night in the recovery room, me and my husband and our precious little baby boy watched the Steelers beat the Dolphins.

Now tell me this, is my son destined to be a steeler or what?

Wallace108
05-31-2010, 02:10 AM
My hubby and I have a tradition. During half time of Steelers we ummmm get busy because its good luck (I better get some sort of cool chick label for confessing that to a bunch of men). Well in one of those games during Dec 2008 we produced a child. In early 2009 during the Chargers game I was so tired I fell asleep and missed the last half of the Steelers beating the chargers. I knew something was up, because I usually can't sleep after a Steelers win. So I took a pregnancy test a week later and lo and behold it was positive later that day the steelers won the AFC championship game. Two weeks later I was sick as a dog with morning sickness, when the game started I was fine and that was when I knew I was having a boy (we didn't know the sex until he was born). Plus we had just made the announcement to my parents. So from now on super bowl 43 will always remind me of my early pregnancy.

So then April rolls around and the NFL schedule comes out. My due date was Sept 21, which was the day the Steelers were to play the Bears. My husband is a Bears fan (they are his NFC team) and we were going to go to the Steelers/Bears game in soldier field that year. We joked that instead we would be in labor and delivery.

The first time my son kicked was when i was watching a replay of a steelers game on the NFL network.

Well Sept comes around and we are preparing for the little bundle of joy and the NFL season. I go to my normal appointment and the doc says your going to labor and delivery. This was tuesday before the season started. Wednesday night I was induced and Thursday morning, sept 10th, I delivered a happy healthy baby boy that was 7LBS and 7 ounces and 17 inches long. That night in the recovery room, me and my husband and our precious little baby boy watched the Steelers beat the Dolphins.

Siss, when they say "enjoy the halftime show," I don't think that's what they mean!! :lol:
And since your son was 7 pounds and 7 ounces, would his name happen to be Ben?

stlrz d
05-31-2010, 06:27 AM

Did yinz ever watch a game in a Burger King bathroom?

http://content.internetvideoarchive.com/content/photos/205/008614_11.jpg

Discipline of Steel
05-31-2010, 07:40 AM

Did yinz ever watch a game in a Burger King bathroom?

http://content.internetvideoarchive.com/content/photos/205/008614_11.jpg

No but i watched an entire game over a fence on my neighbors wide screen. I dont think they ever knew...

siss
05-31-2010, 09:50 AM

Siss, when they say "enjoy the halftime show," I don't think that's what they mean!! :lol:
ManY Steelers comebacks have started at halftime... :tt2
If I had had full naming rights I would have named the boy Benjamin Rooney...but I didn't...so we Got Andrew Dale instead.

Wallace108
05-31-2010, 03:04 PM
My halftime tradition is going to the restroom and grabbing a few more beers. Apparently, I've been doing this all wrong. :lol:

siss
05-31-2010, 07:35 PM
My halftime tradition is going to the restroom and grabbing a few more beers. Apparently, I've been doing this all wrong. :lol:
My husband highly recommends it!

SanAntonioSteelerFan
05-31-2010, 11:44 PM
Well, I can't beat the siss story (wish I could!).

But one winter we were visiting NYC, around Christmas time. My wife went shopping, and I went with her. The game was on in a bar dowstairs and across the street (yes!). She would go into the dressing room, I'd run down the stairs (quicker than the elevator) and across the street, watch a series or two, then come running back up. She'd be coming out of the dressing room, or maybe be browsing a bit, "Hi honey, that looks nice", she never even knew.

stlrz d
06-01-2010, 12:22 AM

If I had had full naming rights I would have named the boy Benjamin Rooney...but I didn't...so we Got Andrew Dale instead.

*snicker*

Wallace108
06-01-2010, 12:27 AM
I assure you I'm not the one who needs to be convinced. http://www.pushupstairs.com/images/emoticon/extra3/nud.gif

But one winter we were visiting NYC, around Christmas time. My wife went shopping, and I went with her. The game was on in a bar dowstairs and across the street (yes!). She would go into the dressing room, I'd run down the stairs (quicker than the elevator) and across the street, watch a series or two, then come running back up. She'd be coming out of the dressing room, or maybe be browsing a bit, "Hi honey, that looks nice", she never even knew.
Shopping when a game is on? http://www.freewebspace.net/forums/images/smilies/emoticons//buttkick.gif

:lol:

stlrz d
06-01-2010, 12:30 AM
I assure you I'm not the one who needs to be convinced. http://www.pushupstairs.com/images/emoticon/extra3/nud.gif

Shopping when a game is on? http://www.freewebspace.net/forums/images/smilies/emoticons//buttkick.gif

[youtube:24ngb831]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/09-M-S7Og0o&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/09-M-S7Og0o&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube:24ngb831]

Wallace108
06-01-2010, 12:33 AM

[youtube:abmg0l6u]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/09-M-S7Og0o&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/09-M-S7Og0o&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube:abmg0l6u]
LOL!! That's exactly what SanAntonioSteelerFan needed.

slashsteel
06-01-2010, 08:33 AM
:wft

You want me to go where ? shopping? during the game? rotfl Girl you better go somewhere else with that sheet. :tt2

proudpittsburgher
06-01-2010, 11:37 AM
the reason I will never turn my back on this franchise as long as the rooneys are steering the ship. . .

Back in 1994, I decided to stand out in line around three rivers stadium for playoff tickets, back when they still did that. The first day we all kind of stood in a group around the Clark Bar and Grill . . . and Kevin Green showed up with his pickup truck with the back filled with pizza boxes. he stuck around for a while, chatted with fans and fed pretty much all of us. Very, very cool.

After that first night, they moved all of us in a single-file line around three rivers stadium. It was cold, and we knew we weren't moving anywhere until tickets went on sale the next morning, so we all kind of hung with the group around us and made the best of the night.

Around 9 or 10 o'clock, we noticed there were people walking around th eline, from the back to the front, with coffee/hot chocolate. Despite the fact most people's beverage of choice was alcohol, they were still among the most popular people there. We also noticed that it was taking them a long time to get to the front of the line where we were, about 100 people in, and we soon found out why.

Dan Rooney was walking around with the coffee girls, shaking hands with the fans, and having a word of conversation with every single one of them. Drunk or sober, young or old, black or white. If you just wanted to say hi, well, he said hi back. If you wanted to have a longer conversation, you didn't get blown off. He stayed and chatted with every single person who wanted to.

I will never forget that down-to-earth and kind nature of Dan Rooney. And after seeing "The chief", the one man play about Art Rooney, in Pittsburgh a few years back, I see where he gets it from. I will be a Steelers and a Rooney fan for life.

Wallace108
06-01-2010, 12:19 PM
the reason I will never turn my back on this franchise as long as the rooneys are steering the ship. . .

Back in 1994, I decided to stand out in line around three rivers stadium for playoff tickets, back when they still did that. The first day we all kind of stood in a group around the Clark Bar and Grill . . . and Kevin Green showed up with his pickup truck with the back filled with pizza boxes. he stuck around for a while, chatted with fans and fed pretty much all of us. Very, very cool.

After that first night, they moved all of us in a single-file line around three rivers stadium. It was cold, and we knew we weren't moving anywhere until tickets went on sale the next morning, so we all kind of hung with the group around us and made the best of the night.

Around 9 or 10 o'clock, we noticed there were people walking around th eline, from the back to the front, with coffee/hot chocolate. Despite the fact most people's beverage of choice was alcohol, they were still among the most popular people there. We also noticed that it was taking them a long time to get to the front of the line where we were, about 100 people in, and we soon found out why.

Dan Rooney was walking around with the coffee girls, shaking hands with the fans, and having a word of conversation with every single one of them. Drunk or sober, young or old, black or white. If you just wanted to say hi, well, he said hi back. If you wanted to have a longer conversation, you didn't get blown off. He stayed and chatted with every single person who wanted to.

I will never forget that down-to-earth and kind nature of Dan Rooney. And after seeing "The chief", the one man play about Art Rooney, in Pittsburgh a few years back, I see where he gets it from. I will be a Steelers and a Rooney fan for life.
That's an awesome story and goes to show why we have the greatest organization in professional sports.

flippy
06-01-2010, 01:02 PM
I delivered a happy healthy baby boy that was 7LBS and 7 ounces and 17 inches long. That night in the recovery room, me and my husband and our precious little baby boy watched the Steelers beat the Dolphins.

7/7/17 = Lombardi 7 is won when Ben (7) throws a TD pass to Wallace (17). Your son gets my Nostradamus vote when this happens.

There are some way cool stories in this thread.

My wife hates sports and I prefer it that way. But if you want to get your significant other into sport, have them watch the last few minutes of a Pens playoff game. My wife will scream like a nut at the end of a hockey game and she hates sports. She's been telling me lately she wants to start watching football now too. I tell her it's violent and people get hurt and she's too innocent to appreciate it. I don't want to scar her. I've showed her Joe Theisman breaking his leg to ward her off.

One of my favorite experiences was meeting Gary Anderson. Really nice guy that took the time to give me and my friends some pointers on kicking a football. I remember the guy was all smiles and laughs joking around with us. My friends and I started playing soccer because of Gary. He told us how he accidentally became a football player and really just wanted to be a soccer player like his dad. To this day he's one of the nicest football players I've met.

Blew my mind as a kid that he was a white guy from Africa and had a weird accent.

Couldn't believe I was a kid and he was smaller than I was. I remember the time I met Eric Green, I told him I thought he should try kicking since one of his legs was the size of Gary Anderson.

proudpittsburgher
06-01-2010, 02:20 PM
Couldn't believe I was a kid and he was smaller than I was. I remember the time I met Eric Green, I told him I thought he should try kicking since one of his legs was the size of Gary Anderson.

Love me some Gary Anderson. One of my earliest memories of a successful Steelers team is when gary hit that 51 yarder to beat the Oilers, in overtime I believe.

flippy
06-01-2010, 03:33 PM

Love me some Gary Anderson. One of my earliest memories of a successful Steelers team is when gary hit that 51 yarder to beat the Oilers, in overtime I believe.

Was that the same game Noll was irked with Glanville?

I'm always surprised by the size of NFL players when I meet them. For example, I think Gary was bigger than ARE or Stefan Logan. I'd love to see Stefan Logan and ARE side by side. I've only talked to Logan from the first row of the stands before a game so it could be perspective, but he looks so tiny compared to what I remember ARE.

One of the other biggest surprises for me up close was James Farrior. I don't think he was 200 lbs when I saw him. He looked so skinny. I'd guess 185 tops. That blows me away considering the way the guy hits.

And related to football, I met the announcer JB Brown at the Pittsburgh airport TGI Fridays many years ago and before we saw who he was, my buddy goes is that Shaq? For some reason, I had it in my head he was a scrawny little announcer, but he towered over us and had some broad shoulders. I'd guess he was 6'6" or so, not quite Shaq, but a big dude nonetheless. He might be able to take Howie Long if he has to some day on the pregame.

proudpittsburgher
06-01-2010, 04:18 PM

Was that the same game Noll was irked with Glanville?

I guess I just thought that Chas Noll never liked Jerry Glanville. it was an ongoing feeling. :)

SanAntonioSteelerFan
06-02-2010, 12:44 AM

[youtube:178c8b22]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/09-M-S7Og0o&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/09-M-S7Og0o&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube:178c8b22][/quote]

http://cmtvarok.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/doh.jpg

Prok
06-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Posting in another thread reminded me of a short Steeler story i can share.

Back in the early 2,000's, i believe, my mom had gotten so sick of watching the team choke in the AFCC's that she actually wrote the Rooney's quite a long letter explaining why and how they needed to get coach Cowher to coach to WIN instead of coaching not to lose.

She then went on to let them know which players she wanted the team to part ways with and whom to keep.

After reading the whole letter i was freaking rolling laughing. But she was dead serious and sent it out immediately.
She's in her mid-seventies now and STILL a rabid Steelers fan. It's where i got my spunk from. lol
A couple weeks later she got the obligatory team photo in the mail. lol

Wallace108
06-04-2010, 12:11 PM

Back in the early 2,000's, i believe, my mom had gotten so sick of watching the team choke in the AFCC's that she actually wrote the Rooney's quite a long letter explaining why and how they needed to get coach Cowher to coach to WIN instead of coaching not to lose.

She then went on to let them know which players she wanted the team to part ways with and whom to keep.

After reading the whole letter i was freaking rolling laughing. But she was dead serious and sent it out immediately.
She's in her mid-seventies now and STILL a rabid Steelers fan. It's where i got my spunk from. lol
Prok, your mom sounds a lot cooler than mine. I live in Y'Town, Ohio, and we're equal distance away from Pittsburgh and Cleveland, so the fan base here is split. When my son was about 7, he wanted to be a Steelers fan AND a Browns fan.

One day he asked me to buy him a Browns jersey, and I said no way. My mom got mad and yelled at me and said I was being ignorant. I told her I work hard for my money and would rather burn it than spend it on a Browns jersey. She still thought I was ignorant.

:brownssuck

Prok
06-04-2010, 12:44 PM

Prok, your mom sounds a lot cooler than mine. I live in Y'Town, Ohio, and we're equal distance away from Pittsburgh and Cleveland, so the fan base here is split. When my son was about 7, he wanted to be a Steelers fan AND a Browns fan.

One day he asked me to buy him a Browns jersey, and I said no way. My mom got mad and yelled at me and said I was being ignorant. I told her I work hard for my money and would rather burn it than spend it on a Browns jersey. She still thought I was ignorant.

:brownssuck
I guess i got lucky. We moved to cleveland when i was 12 or 13. Anywho, i ended up marrying a clowns fan. But we got divorced when my son was only 2 or 3. We made a deal to let him decide which team he likes and luckily enough he followed me as a Steelers fan. Couldn't even tell ya how many games, training camps and Steelers related functions we've attended together. Even a trip to Primanti's together. It's been great.

Yeah my mom knew i was a Steelers die-hard very early on. Grew up in Greene county, southwestern PA before we moved to Cleveland. Every year for my birthday and christmas i'd ask for something Steelers related. Me and my mom watched almost all the Steelers games together.