PDA

View Full Version : Which Steeler will have a breakout year in 2010? And why?

Steelerchad
05-28-2010, 08:09 PM
I'm going with Mendy.
1.He showed signs of greatness last year after little playing time in the 1st 5 games.
2.It sounds like there may be a renewed interest in establishing a running game by the staff.
3.With Ben out the first 4 games, I think it will be a run first offense trying to help out the new QB. If it's successful, they'll keep it up even when Ben returns.
4.Love the spin move. Heard he's been working on a double spin move.
5.I think our D returns to form as a #1 D and we aren't afraid to play a field position game.

stillers4me
05-28-2010, 08:11 PM
Mike Wallace, because we need him to.

Steelerchad
05-28-2010, 08:15 PM

I hope you're right. He was great as a #3. Hope he can make the jump as a #2. You are definately right that we need him to.

jj28west
05-28-2010, 08:17 PM

+1 with Wallace.

Santonio saw a lot of coverage rolling his way which allowed Wallace as a number three to excel which he took full advantage of. So much rides on this guy's success IMO.

Prok
05-28-2010, 08:20 PM

Agreed.

We need Wallace to fill a big play-makers shoes. Those plays Santonio used to regularly make in big games will be hard to replace.

On defense i'd go with Timmons as i believe we NEED him to reach his full potential as well.

D Rock
05-28-2010, 08:22 PM
Can Woodley still have a 'breakout year'?

I think he's going to lead the league in sacks this year. As far as the national media is concerned he will be breaking out. To us he will just be continuing on in his path to legendary greatness.

SteelGhost
05-28-2010, 08:23 PM
I think there will be more than one breakout player for 2010, my guess is that at least 3 will have big impact.

Rashard Mendenhall .- He can post a 1,500 yard season easily, remember Artie wants to run the ball more effectively and BB wil be out at least 4 games.

Mike "60 Minutes" Wallace . - Without Santo in the WR corps this kid has a lot to prove, he must face #1 DB's. I expect Hines and ARE mentor him well.

LaMarr Woodley .- He said the best way to earn a nice contract is by working hard and he wants to win football games, he'll have a monster season having Troy and Aaron back.

My .02

papillon
05-28-2010, 08:39 PM
Ben Roethlisberger will be playing with a chip on his shoulder this year, so look for a huge year from Ben.

Timmons is going to have a big year as well, he'll make the pro-bowl this year (The Steelers may have 3 pro-bowl linebackers this year).

Pappy

Steelerchad
05-28-2010, 08:59 PM

I think he's going to lead the league in sacks this year. As far as the national media is concerned he will be breaking out. To us he will just be continuing on in his path to legendary greatness.

I think Woodley already had his. I think most Steeler fans expect a probowl type effort form him this year.

Preacher
05-28-2010, 09:07 PM

I think Woodley already had his. I think most Steeler fans expect a probowl type effort form him this year.

Timmons.

He now has a full years starting under his belt. He also has the one of the two best safeties in the game and our starting RDE coming back, so he will be able to operate without as much responsibility (Troy can cover distance, and can also cover receivers).

I think Timmons will be a force to be reckoned with this year. Least I am sure hoping so.

SteelerNation1
05-28-2010, 09:11 PM
I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and say either Joe Burnett or Keenan Lewis step up HUGE in year 2. If one or both raise their game and become contributors/nickel guys/sub package guys we will be fine in the back half.

papillon
05-28-2010, 09:14 PM
I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and say either Joe Burnett or Keenan Lewis step up HUGE in year 2. If one or both raise their game and become contributors/nickel guys/sub package guys we will be fine in the back half.

They don't even have to break out for it to be huge, if they can break up a pass or, (gasp) actually intercept one it would be huge.

Pappy

Prok
05-28-2010, 09:15 PM

Yeah that's true as well imo. I'd be thrilled if one of 'em can challenge Gay as the Nickle CB.

Preacher: I hope you're right about Timmons too. He's super fast and hits like a truck when he gets there. Man our front 7 would be AWESOME if Timmons reaches his full potential.

:tt1

SteelerNation1
05-28-2010, 09:19 PM

They don't even have to break out for it to be huge, if they can break up a pass or, (gasp) actually intercept one it would be huge.

Pappy
:Clap

Preacher
05-28-2010, 10:04 PM

Pappy

Come on now, let's not get TOO carried away with this stuff! :wink:

stlrz d
05-28-2010, 10:09 PM
All of 'em.

fordfixer
05-29-2010, 12:29 AM
I'm going with Sweed .............Oh crap never mind

AkronSteel
05-29-2010, 12:35 AM
I'm going out on a limb and saying Keenan Lewis!

I think the guy has a ton of talent and has the size and speed to really be a complete CB in the Steeler system. I think he wins the starting job opposite Ike and will push BMac to the Nickel back spot!! Bmac stole his number now Keenan will steal his job!!

:2c

Wallace108
05-29-2010, 01:21 AM

:lol:
And if they intercept more than one, I'll be posting about it in the Top 5 Heart Attack thread!!

I'm going with Wallace (of course). The kid has superstar written all over him.

hawaiiansteel
05-29-2010, 01:51 AM

And if they intercept more than one, I'll be posting about it in the Top 5 Heart Attack thread!!

I'm shocked you went with Wallace, i never would have guessed that from you... :Cheers

Wallace108
05-29-2010, 02:34 AM

I'm shocked you went with Wallace, i never would have guessed that from you... :Cheers

And if I could figure out how to get my avatar to work, there would be even less doubt. :lol:
I say we start a poll: What happens first:
1. A Steelers CB gets an interception.
2. Wallace108 figures out how to get his avatar posted.

With McFadden back, I'm going with No. 1

hawaiiansteel
05-29-2010, 02:44 AM

And if I could figure out how to get my avatar to work, there would be even less doubt. :lol:

i'll go with choice #2, you don't actually expect a Steelers CB to hang onto the ball, do you? :lol:

1) go to USER Control Panel at top of page
2) click on Profile
3) click on Edit Avatar
4) upload pic you wanna use
5) hit submit

let me know if it worked for you, we'll get your avatar up yet... :Cheers

Preacher
05-29-2010, 02:52 AM

i'll go with choice #2, you don't actually expect a Steelers CB to hang onto the ball, do you? :lol:

2) click on Profile
3) click on Edit Avatar
5) hit submit

Naa. you shoulda let him struggle a bit more

http://planetsmilies.net/animal-smiley-4950.gif

Hey Wallace108--can't you just feel the love coming your way ?!?! :D

Wallace108
05-29-2010, 03:10 AM
2) click on Profile
3) click on Edit Avatar
5) hit submit

Thanks hawaiiansteel ... I tried that 4 times and it didn't work. I even took my "dummy" hat off before I tried. ??

Naa. you shoulda let him struggle a bit more

http://planetsmilies.net/animal-smiley-4950.gif

Hey Wallace108--can't you just feel the love coming your way ?!?! :D

What's not to love? :lol:

hawaiiansteel
05-29-2010, 03:20 AM
2) click on Profile
3) click on Edit Avatar
5) hit submit

Thanks hawaiiansteel ... I tried that 4 times and it didn't work. I even took my "dummy" hat off before I tried. ??

the pic you are trying to upload is probably too large, in order for it to successfully upload the avatar’s filesize must be between 0 and 10 KB...

i ran into this same problem, i had to try 5 different Jack Lambert pics before i found one the right size.

Wallace108
05-29-2010, 03:23 AM
2) click on Profile
3) click on Edit Avatar
5) hit submit

the pic you are trying to upload is probably too large, in order for it to successfully upload the avatar’s filesize must be between 0 and 10 KB...

i ran into this same problem, i had to try 5 different Jack Lambert pics before i found one the right size.

Thanks. I'll try downsizing it. If it doesn't work, I'll PM you for any other ideas ... I don't wanna kill this thread with my off-topic lack of computer skills.

hawaiiansteel
05-29-2010, 03:29 AM
2) click on Profile
3) click on Edit Avatar
5) hit submit

Thanks. I'll try downsizing it. If it doesn't work, I'll PM you for any other ideas ... I don't wanna kill this thread with my off-topic lack of computer skills.

PM me and i'll gladly help you with it but i'm positive that if you find an avatar that fits within those size parameters it will work... :Beer

slashsteel
05-29-2010, 03:29 AM
Prok, I am not so worried about Gay in a nickel role. He played really well there before becoming a starter. I look for him to rebound and be solid in that role.

Far as breakout player.

I am going with Mendenhall this year and Jason Worilds next year. :tt1

Wallace108
05-29-2010, 03:35 AM
PM me and i'll gladly help you with it but i'm positive that if you find an avatar that fits within those size parameters it will work... :Beer

You're the man!!! Thank you very much.
Now back on topic ...
I can't disagree with those of you picking Mendenhall. If they really do shift back to a focus on the running game, I think Mendy is going to have a monster year.

HeHateMe
05-29-2010, 04:35 AM
Byron Leftwich. Watch Ben sit and sit and sit and sit............

flippy
05-29-2010, 06:26 AM
Pouncey - RG is our weakest link on the line and Hartwig needs some help. And it'll help Colon cheat to the outside on the speed rushers and prevent some flags.

On defense, we just need a healthy Troy and Aaron and we'll be fine.

And ST will be the best in the league this year. Coverage and returns.

Prok
05-29-2010, 01:56 PM
Prok, I am not so worried about Gay in a nickel role. He played really well there before becoming a starter. I look for him to rebound and be solid in that role.

Far as breakout player.

I am going with Mendenhall this year and Jason Worilds next year. :tt1

Wow welcome to the Planet Slashy. This guy is my friend from another Steelers board. We go back a few years. You guys will LOVE Slashy here. He's one of the most knowledgeable Steelers fans I know and a true draft guru.

I hope you stay here buddy !! :tt2 :Beer

Polamalubeast
05-29-2010, 01:57 PM
I expect a good season Mendehall if it is well used.

I have a great confidence in him.

Steelgal
05-29-2010, 02:18 PM
I'll add a new name to the mix. I'm going with Dwyer. Our short-yardage situation has stunk in recent years, so anything will be an improvement. I never would of thought 3rd and 1 would make me cringe like it has in recent years :HeadBanger . I'm hoping between the new o-line coach and steal of a draft pick we got, he'll have atleast 6 TDs.

Psychoward#86
05-29-2010, 03:33 PM
My top picks to break out:

1) RB Rashard Mendenhall: Behind a makeshift offensive line, he put up 1,108 yards on 242 carries with 7 rushing TD's. He had 25 receptions and a TD reception to go with that. Quietly throughout the year, he displayed a lot of solid blocking too, especially against the Chargers. Albeit, he did have most of his best games against weaker opponents, and he wasnt always consistent from game to game, but this kid has all the upside in the world, and he's only freakin' 22 years old going into his 3rd year.

2) ILB Lawrence Timmons: Just like Mendenhall, Timmons came into the league as a "baby" rookie, at what, 21 years old was it? He keeps getting better every year, and even though he was a starter last year, we didnt really see that monster breakout year that we want from our 1st round picks. We all know he can blitz, and his closing speed is ridiculous, but his coverage skills are a bit inconsistent and he doesnt always stonewall RB's on initial contact. Still, he's got a ton of upside too. You have to take into account that he didnt have our 2 best defensive players (Polamalu and Aaron Smith) helping him out for almost the entire year during his 1st year starting.

3) FB Frank Summers: Where's the love for this guy? Sure he had a mediocre preseason, and he saw little action his rookie year, but he stepped into the starting lineup on Day 1 before going on IR with a back injury. I say he could have a reasonable impact this year if healthy. Tomlin said last year that he thought Summers played a lot better without the ball in his hands than with it, a reference to his blocking ability when he was being interviewed by Steelers.com.

I also like our H-back David Johnson and Ziggy to show significant strides, although I think Ziggy will be stuck in a rotation because there's 2 DE's on this squad better than him.

As much as I like Wallace, I think he could easily disappoint this year. Last year, Hines Ward, Santo, and Miller each individually faced double teams at some point.....and they all had career years. Wallace had the benefit of being covered by nickel corners and other trash backup DB's. That's a big jump to make, and i understand, so if Wallace fails to impress his 1st year starting i wont get mad or anything.

Prok
05-29-2010, 03:54 PM
Nice post PsychoWard. Glad to see ya here.

slashsteel
05-29-2010, 04:10 PM
I think Summers is flying under the radar for two reasons. First obviously he was injured quickly, can he hold up? And second DJ did a solid job when handed the job. Throw in Taylor at what 280? and the FB position will have some solid competition in camp. In retrospect Summers might now find himself the odd man out when it comes time to pick the final 53.

Prok
05-29-2010, 04:50 PM
I think Summers is flying under the radar for two reasons. First obviously he was injured quickly, can he hold up? And second DJ did a solid job when handed the job. Throw in Taylor at what 280? and the FB position will have some solid competition in camp. In retrospect Summers might now find himself the odd man out when it comes time to pick the final 53.

Yeah but do you actually trust Arians to use a fullback ? My money say's some type of h-back deal again.

focosteeler
05-29-2010, 10:24 PM
my money is on timmons, i think that with woodley and harrison on the outside aaron smith back, hampton in shape :shock: , and if what i am hearing about ziggy is true (how much better he has gotten) i think he will do wonders.. also having bmac back and troy healthy should help him

focosteeler
05-29-2010, 10:26 PM

Yeah but do you actually trust Arians to use a fullback ? My money say's some type of h-back deal again.

i would love to see taylor be the FB if he is good. nothing would make me happier than to see him put ray lewis on his back on a 4th and 1

hawaiiansteel
05-31-2010, 03:23 AM
Mike Wallace...

http://static.steelers.com/MediaContent/2009/06/03/12/Wallace_Mike1_105683.jpg

Wallace on fast track to replace Santonio Holmes

By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer
May 26, 12:56 pm EDT

PITTSBURGH (AP)—Mike Wallace(notes) is on the fast track to replacing Santonio Holmes(notes) as the Steelers’ primary deep passing threat. Byron Leftwich(notes) needed only one practice to realize that.

During a 7-on-7 passing drill recently in a voluntary practice, Wallace beat his man cleanly, but Leftwich’s pass landed behind the receiver. The timing and precision needed to correctly execute the fly pattern weren’t there.

Clearly, it’s going to take the Steelers some time to adjust to having a receiver other than Holmes lining up with Hines Ward(notes) in a tandem that, for one season, paired two Super Bowl MVPs.

Or maybe it won’t.

Wallace is convinced the transition will take less time than expected, given he’s replacing a former first-round draft pick who caught 79 passes last season and had a combined 18 touchdown receptions the last three seasons.

“I feel like they believe I can do the same things Santonio did,” Wallace said. “I don’t feel like there’s anything Santonio did that I can’t do. I’m still running some of the routes I ran last year, it’s just that I have more of them to run.”

Maybe Wallace doesn’t have Holmes’ knowledge of NFL cornerbacks, or of opponents’ defensive tendencies. And he’s still not certain how running plays out of Holmes’ position will differ from running them out of Ward’s position; he spent last season as Ward’s backup.

Leftwich does know this: Few defenders will be faster than Wallace.

“We all know what Santonio can do,” said Leftwich, who is running the first-team offense during Ben Roethlisberger’s(notes) absence. “Mike, he’s running by a lot of people. He’s got speed that not a lot of people have. We haven’t seen that in the league a lot. There’s only a few people who can run like that.”

Holmes is fast, but he’s not as fast as Wallace, who caught 39 passes for 756 yards and six touchdowns while averaging 19.4 yards per catch as a rookie. His speed was such an asset, the Steelers felt confident they didn’t need to look elsewhere for a replacement last month when they decided to trade Holmes to the Jets following a series of off-field missteps.

After compensating for Wallace’s speed, Leftwich managed to hit the former Mississippi receiver on the same deep pass play that didn’t work the first time.

“When you think of Mike, you think of a deep threat,” quarterback Dennis Dixon(notes) said. “Whenever you go up top with Mike, you’ve got to be sure to release it early because he can outrun your arm.”

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Pittsburgh+Steelers+Training+Camp+USt60FOGTqvl.jpg

To Ward, the biggest adjustment for Wallace won’t be in lining up at a different position, but learning how to get open while running precise patterns on first and second downs.

Last season, Wallace—a third-round draft pick—mostly played in multiple receiver packages in which he rarely opposed top-line cornerbacks or was double-teamed.

“Sometimes the (top) guys lined up on me, but for the most part they were on Santonio or Hines,” Wallace said. “But I’m always ready for a challenge. I don’t feel like I’m afraid of anybody, I don’t fear anybody and they go to work just like I go to work. I’m going to be ready for them, just like they’re going to be ready for me.”

Wallace also benefited from the instruction time Ward and Holmes gave him.

“I learned how to be a pro, coming in every day and working and never being satisfied with a good game or having one good week,” Wallace said. “If you’re hanging onto that, you’re going to get whipped. Every day’s a new day, that’s the main thing.”

Every season’s a new one, too, and this could be an especially demanding one for the Steelers because Roethlisberger will be suspended until October.

“We know what type of business we’re in and we’re ready to roll with whoever’s in,” Wallace said. “It’s always going to be hard when he’s not here, but we’ve got to keep rolling. I feel like when he comes back, we’re going to pick up where we left off.”

Wallace also hopes to pick up where Holmes left off, averaging seven catches per game during the second half of last season.

“That’s the nature of the business,” Wallace said. “One guy’s out and the next day I have to step in.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=a ... ngsantonio (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-steelers-replacingsantonio)

http://steelersmill.com/files/2009/06/wallace.jpg

ricardisimo
05-31-2010, 05:59 PM
Holmes is fast, but he’s not as fast as Wallace, who caught 39 passes for 756 yards and six touchdowns while averaging 19.4 yards per catch as a rookie. His speed was such an asset, the Steelers felt confident they didn’t need to look elsewhere for a replacement last month when they decided to trade Holmes to the Jets following a series of off-field missteps.
Umm... so what do you call Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown? I don't think a 3rd-round WR can be equated to complete confidence in the existing crew.

slashsteel
05-31-2010, 06:33 PM
True when one productive WR leaves you double up and make sure you fortify. The Steelers did just that. And Brown could very well be a sleeper to emerge with some playing time. But first things first to make the roster.....

RuthlessBurgher
06-01-2010, 03:42 PM
I think Daniel Sepulveda will have a breakout year. People always say that it takes 2 years to fully heal from an ACL injury. Well, he injured his ACL in college, and during his rookie year in 2007, he was only one year removed from that injury. As a rookie, he was solid (able to down punts inside the 20 with very few touchbacks) but not necessarily spectacular (we did not seen the big leg he displayed in college or any knockout blows on punt coverage).

Then he missed the 2008 season with another ACL injury, so during the 2009 season he was also only one year removed from that injury. Again, he was solid (able to down punts inside the 20 with very few touchbacks) but not necessarily spectacular (we did not seen the big leg he displayed in college or any knockout blows on punt coverage).

This year, he will finally be two years removed from an ACL surgery for the first time in his professional career. I expect him to finally be both solid (able to down punts inside the 20 with very few touchbacks) as well as spectacular (looking for the big leg in terms of a top notch punting yardage average...knockout blows on punt coverage would be nice, but it would be even nicer if the other 10 coverage guys get to the returner first so that he doesn't have to blow anyone up like in his infamous YouTube clip).

And if he is able to showcase an ability to be a kickoff specialist in training camp and preseason games to be an improvement upon Jeff Reed in that regard once the regular season starts, all the better. We'll see.

SteelAbility
06-01-2010, 04:51 PM
There's an ex-Steeler who might have to have a break out (of jail) year. Santonio. :P