PDA

View Full Version : Favorite NON- SB memory ?

Prok
05-28-2010, 06:45 PM
We all have lots of great SB memories. How about if we list our favorite non-SB memories as well ?

Mine would have to be the 2nd Steelers/clowns game of the '89 season. After getting thrashed 51-0 in the opener, i was really proud of the way we went into cleveland and beat them in the re-match. I believe the final score was 17-7 Steelers.

Heroes of the day IMO ? DT Tim Johnson (i think thats his name lol) and QB Todd Blackledge subbing for an injured Bubby Brister leading us to victory. I also believe Carnell Lake had at least a couple INT's off of Bernie Kosar.

I was living in clownstown at the time and got to rub it in too. lol

Anyone else got any ?

:tt1

SteelCrazy
05-28-2010, 07:16 PM
Non Steeler related would have to be "The Drive"........and "The Fumble"..... :brownssuck

Polamalubeast
05-28-2010, 07:24 PM
Last 3 years

2007:Ravens vs steelers

The steelers will beat the Ravens 38-7 and Roethlisberger throw five touchdown passes in the first half.

Browns vs steelers

The Browns led 21-6 and Roethlisberger knows an incredible 2nd half and win 31-28 steelers.

The browns had a good year in 2007.

2008:The three victories against the Ravens! :Steel :ratsuck

The end of game against the Cowboys and Tony Romo. :tt2

The victory of 33-10 against the patriots! :Clap :tt1

2009: the victory against the Packers!

jj28west
05-28-2010, 07:25 PM
Ive got one that may not be close to anyone with respect to memoraable but it was most satisfying which was the MNF game a couple years back where physically we beat up on the Redskins to where they would have used the mercy rule if there was one.

It was incredible to see that many Steeler fans take over the stadium on national TV with a Defense that destroyed that Redskin offense permanently that year.

Not that you asked but a couple of my most dissapointing memories where our offense was literally going backwards against the Eagles in Philly. That was a heavyweight fight between too agressive defenses that went back and forth. We had no answer for those Jim Johnson dialed up blitzes and would of done better if we punted on second down.

The other bad one was the year that safety Smith was talking how we were going to dominate the Pats and instead Brady was throwing those quick passes to Wes faster than we could Blitz. I love our living legend DC but we just blitzed and blitzed only to get burned by Brady. Rich Gannon also did this to us with the Raiders with hurry ups and quick outs.

Polamalubeast
05-28-2010, 07:25 PM
Non Steeler related would have to be "The Drive"........and "The Fumble"..... :brownssuck

For me, it's the Giants win the super bowl against the patriots!

Prok
05-28-2010, 07:41 PM

For me, it's the Giants win the super bowl against the patriots!

Those would prolly be my 3 fav all-time non Steelers games as well.

Probable reason I love Ben so much is he reminds me of Elway with his poise and late game moxy.

:tt1

papillon
05-28-2010, 09:00 PM
I was at the immaculate reception game.

I was at the Miami vs Steelers AFC championship game when Larry freakin Seiple ran a fake punt for first down to turn the tide of the game to Miami's favor. The Steelers were dominating the Dolphins until that play. The Steelers could have prevented Mercury Morris from running his mouth about the 17-0 Dolphins. :evil:

I was at the Browns vs Steelers when Bahr kicked the game winner in OT 33-30

I was at the Browns meltdown in playoffs (can't remember what year) when Maddox led them back in the 4th quarter.

I know these are SB related, but I was at SB XIII and XIV.

I was at the Maulers home opener the year they signed Mike Rozier. :?

I was at the Pitt vs ND game when Dorsett ran for over 300 yards

I got to see the following players play while at Pitt: Dorsett, Cavanaugh, Hugh Green, Rickey Jackson and Marino. Good times

I attended 2 World Series games in 1979 coming back from a 1-3 deficit to win in 7, Pops Stargell rules.

I'm sure there are more, but, as you can tell, I'm old, so I misremember some things. :P

Pappy

costanza2k1
05-28-2010, 09:15 PM
My memory wasn't one of those memorable games such as the Immaculate Reception. We had gone 2 years without any Steelers coverage that I can remember in California. Watching the 10 minute ticker on NBC doesn't count. I was out taking my SAT exam in high school and after I was scheduled to finish the Steelers were going to play the Jets on TV. Man that was an awesome game...Lupe Sanchez was cracking WRs all over the place. What made it great was watching it with my younger cousins who weren't even teenagers yet. Family made that special for me.

pepsyman1
05-28-2010, 09:19 PM
One of my favorite memories (even though it was a loss) was making the trip to Pittsburgh for the 94-95 AFCCG against the Chargers. It was the first Steelers game I had ever made it too. Heartbreaking and frustrating how conservative Cowher got in the 2nd half of that game, but absolutely thrilling sitting in the endzone right above where the game ended. When O'Donnell completed the pass to give them 1st and goal, Three River Stadium was so loud for the next few minutes that you literally thought the place would shake itself too bits. You could feel the vibrations through the concrete. The loss was truly heartbreaking, but the trip to Pittsburgh was great. Played touch football at 2am the night before on a roof parking of the hotel with some other fans from out of town. Enjoyed the city with my friend (who is an Eagles fan). We had such a good time my friend said ANYTIME I was coming back to see a game, he was IN. It has become a yearly event now. I drive out once every season for a game so I can wave my original 1976 Terrible Towel. There are no fans like STEELERS FANS

stlrz d
05-28-2010, 10:06 PM
Kirkland is one of my favorite Steelers players in team history. Here's an obscure memory for you.

I remember a game against the Bills in which he covering the short middle of the field. The Bills QB (can't remember who it was) tried to drop a pass over Kirkland to hit TE Pete Mxyzptlk (ok, Metzelaars :lol:), who appeared to be wide open. Big Levon got on with his mad hops and knocked that pass away...what a sight that was to behold! The announcers went on and on and on about it and I had this big grin on my face because I couldn't believe we had a linebacker that big who could run that fast and jump that high!

DrCalculus
05-28-2010, 10:14 PM
A couple of faves in recent memory:

Steelers trounce the Patriots on Halloween Ben's rookie, a week after beating the Eagles. Only team to ever beat two consecutive undefeated teams that late in the season. Preceeded by a sweet win over the Cowboys. One of the most satisfying non-playoff three game sweeps I can ever recall.

Being a Steeler fan in Bills country, the finale in Ben's rookie campaign also was a great game. Bills needed it to finish 10-6 and secure a wild card berth. Steelers had a 14-1 record and locked up home field advantage and were resting all key starters. Steelers second and third stringers spanked the Bills something like 26-10, Parker got his first 100 yard game.

Some older favorites:

Steelers beat the 49ers for the only blemish on the 49ers 15-1 record in 1983-84 season.

Steelers whallop the Colts on MNF and have Peyton literally shaking his head in disbelief as he looks at the press box photos on the sideline after yet another 3-and-out.

Steelers clobber the Rams in Bettis' first game against his former team. They won 42-6 behind Bettis' 129 yd, 2-TD day on something like 20 carries, sweet revenge after one of the main reasons the Rams traded him was because they were unhappy with his dropping YPC after converting him to a fullback. He had a 50 yd TD, which I think was the longest of his Steeler career.

Steelers welcome the new Browns to the NFL with a complete annihilation 43-0 on Sunday night football week 1 in 1999.

Steelers slip past Houston in OT in wildcard playoffs (1989) and nearly beat Denver in the divisional round.

Greg Lloyd tries to single handedly knock 3 Jets players out of one game in NY (towards the end of the 85 season, I think). They won something like 42-24.

Kordell plays lights out to demolish Denver in regular season (too bad they had his number in the playoff rematch) in 97 .

Thriller in OT vs Bears in 95 where O'Donnell suddenly looked like a real QB (right up until he blew the Super Bowl!)

Most memorable loss: MNF last second missed FG vs Jags -- they scooped it up and returned for a TD, and Cowher nearly stepped onto the field to clobber the returner as he ran past.

DrCalculus
05-28-2010, 10:17 PM
Oh, and MNF against the Bills, where Woodson stepped in front of a Jim Kelly pass and went untouched 30 yards into the endzone and the won 23-0 (1993?)..then the next year in another MNF game instead of an INT it was a sack-strip-fumble return for TD and a 23-10 win.

Polamalubeast
05-28-2010, 10:32 PM
e
A couple of faves in recent memory:

Steelers trounce the Patriots on Halloween Ben's rookie, a week after beating the Eagles. Only team to ever beat two consecutive undefeated teams that late in the season. Preceeded by a sweet win over the Cowboys. One of the most satisfying non-playoff three game sweeps I can ever recall.

Being a Steeler fan in Bills country, the finale in Ben's rookie campaign also was a great game. Bills needed it to finish 10-6 and secure a wild card berth. Steelers had a 14-1 record and locked up home field advantage and were resting all key starters. Steelers second and third stringers spanked the Bills something like 26-10, Parker got his first 100 yard game.

Some older favorites:

Steelers beat the 49ers for the only blemish on the 49ers 15-1 record in 1983-84 season.

Steelers whallop the Colts on MNF and have Peyton literally shaking his head in disbelief as he looks at the press box photos on the sideline after yet another 3-and-out.

Steelers clobber the Rams in Bettis' first game against his former team. They won 42-6 behind Bettis' 129 yd, 2-TD day on something like 20 carries, sweet revenge after one of the main reasons the Rams traded him was because they were unhappy with his dropping YPC after converting him to a fullback. He had a 50 yd TD, which I think was the longest of his Steeler career.

Steelers welcome the new Browns to the NFL with a complete annihilation 43-0 on Sunday night football week 1 in 1999.

Steelers slip past Houston in OT in wildcard playoffs (1989) and nearly beat Denver in the divisional round.

Greg Lloyd tries to single handedly knock 3 Jets players out of one game in NY (towards the end of the 85 season, I think). They won something like 42-24.

Kordell plays lights out to demolish Denver in regular season (too bad they had his number in the playoff rematch) in 97 .

Thriller in OT vs Bears in 95 where O'Donnell suddenly looked like a real QB (right up until he blew the Super Bowl!)

Most memorable loss: MNF last second missed FG vs Jags -- they scooped it up and returned for a TD, and Cowher nearly stepped onto the field to clobber the returner as he ran past.

Very interresting

Indeed, the three victories against the cowboys, patriots and the eagles in 2004 were very special.I really liked the 2004 season, have become very good souvenir.Ils finished the season 15-1 with a rookie QB and the steelers had surprised many people in 2004 as in 2003, the steelers had a record of 6-10 and it was not beautiful to see.

In 2008, the steelers have beaten three straight games against the Patriots, Cowboys and Ravens.You could see that the team was something special.

I love the steelers when they are able to take on big challenges and they seem to hurt his media.As in 2005, the steelers have become the first team in the history of the NFL has won three road games in the playoffs and then win the super bowl.It was special to achieve this feat. The Giants have made in 2007 but the steelers were the first to do it.

tube517
05-28-2010, 11:52 PM
I'll pick 3

1. 1995-96 AFC Championship Game vs Indy. Ernie Mills makes a memorable catch near the goal line to come from behind.

2. 1977 Dallas vs Pittsburgh regular season. Franco rushes for 179 YDS and has a 61 yd breakaway run. They beat them on MNF with Howard Cosell on color commentary.
Dallas wins the SB vs Denver later that year, but the Steelers make them remember who is the team of the decade.

3. Pittsburgh playoff run in 1989. Beating Glanville's Oilers and almost beating Denver. Maybe the Emperor's finest coaching job. Brister at QB, Hoge and Worley at RB, the Steeler everyone forgets Louis Lipps at WR

RuthlessBurgher
05-29-2010, 12:11 AM
The back-to-back wins against the undefeated Eagles and Patriots in Ben's rookie season (as DrCalculus already mentioned) sticks out as a time when I realized that we have something truly special with this Roethlisberger kid.

Chris Fuamatu-Ma'Afala running the ball in to cap off the huge comeback win over Cleveland in the playoffs was insane.

Sitting in the stands, soaking wet and freezing cold, watching the Bus shove the ball down the Bears' throats in a second half snowstorm in 2005 was epic.

Ben's throw to Wallace this past season to clinch the Packer game on the last play was eerily reminiscent of the Super Bowl throw to Santonio, putting the ball where only the receiver could get it, and the receiver made a great catch in both cases and managed to get both feet down in the process.

Cowboys call timeout, Renegade plays, crowd goes nuts, Deshea runs back an interception for a touchdown.

James Harrison sacking Steve McNair 2.5 times, forcing 3 fumbles, recover a fumble, and intercepting a pass in ONE HALF of a football game against the Ravens (plus there were 9 tackles, 6 QB hurries, and another sack in the second half of that game) in front of a collection of Steeler legends at the game for the 75th anniversary celebration.

Wallace108
05-29-2010, 12:57 AM
I have three favorite non-Super Bowl memories ... the three games I got to attend.

No. 3: Steelers-Raiders preseason game in the early 90s. It was only a preseason game, but it was my first time at Three Rivers, and as they say, you never forget your first time.

No. 2: Steelers-Packers game this past season. It was my son's first game and my first time at Heinz. And if it wasn't already memorable enough, we were sitting in the corner of the endzone right where Wallace made the game-winning TD catch.

No. 1: The last Steelers-Browns game at Three Rivers before the Brownies escaped from Cleveland. It was a Monday night game and countless Browns fans were gathered outside Three Rivers protesting the Browns' leaving town. The atmosphere was electric. And Steelers fans showed how classy we are by supporting the Browns fans by wearing orange arm bands they were passing out and offering them words of encouragement. Sure, me made fun of them after they were gone, but at least we were nice to them while they were there.
:brownssuck

The Steelers are 3-0 when I've been in attendance, so when we host the AFC Championship this year, if you guys wanna chip in and buy me a ticket, I can guarantee victory. :lol: :tt2

RuthlessBurgher
05-29-2010, 01:02 AM
I have three favorite non-Super Bowl memories ... the three games I got to attend.

No. 3: Steelers-Raiders preseason game in the early 90s. It was only a preseason game, but it was my first time at Three Rivers, and as they say, you never forget your first time.

No. 2: Steelers-Packers game this past season. It was my son's first game and my first time at Heinz. And if it wasn't already memorable enough, we were sitting in the corner of the endzone right where Wallace made the game-winning TD catch.

No. 1: The last Steelers-Browns game at Three Rivers before the Brownies escaped from Cleveland. It was a Monday night game and countless Browns fans were gathered outside Three Rivers protesting the Browns' leaving town. The atmosphere was electric. And Steelers fans showed how classy we are by supporting the Browns fans by wearing orange arm bands they were passing out and offering them words of encouragement. Sure, me made fun of them after they were gone, but at least we were nice to them while they were there.

The Steelers are 3-0 when I've been in attendance, so when we host the AFC Championship this year, if you guys wanna chip in and buy me a ticket, I can guarantee victory. :lol: :tt2

As long as there is enough left in the coffers to send me to the Super Bowl two weeks after that. I went to the games in Detroit and Tampa and am 2-0 so far at the Super Bowl.

I've got an idea to raise enough money to get you to the AFC Championship game and me to Super Bowl...how about we charge everyone $4.50 if they want to be able to post on the main forum? There's no way that would backfire. Think about it. :wink:

fordfixer
05-29-2010, 01:07 AM

As long as there is enough left in the coffers to send me to the Super Bowl two weeks after that. I went to the games in Detroit and Tampa and am 2-0 so far at the Super Bowl.

I've got an idea to raise enough money to get you to the AFC Championship game and me to Super Bowl...how about we charge everyone $4.50 if they want to be able to post on the main forum? There's no way that would backfire. Think about it. :wink:
That's cold man .........but funny :lol: :lol:

Wallace108
05-29-2010, 01:10 AM

Too soon? Nah, that's hilarious. :lol:
OK, your Super Bowl win trumps my preseason win. :Bow

flippy
05-29-2010, 07:27 AM
1. Tommy Maddox beating the Brownies in the playoffs. I was euphoric for that entire second half.

2. James Harrison's freak show against the Rats on the Monday nighter where he was a 1 man wrecking crew. I've never seen anything like it. It was arguably the best performance of an athlete in any sport all time.

3. The final game at TRS and all the memories it brought back of 4 Super Bowls and Roberto Clemente and We Are Family. Could you even imagine the Pirates playing 80+ games on Heinz Field and sharing a stadium today? And til this day I can't remember a stadium anywhere getting as loud as TRS got back in the day.

Captain Lemming
05-31-2010, 12:55 PM
We all have lots of great SB memories. How about if we list our favorite non-SB memories as well ?

Well the birth of my firstbo.....wait. This is non SB "Steeler" memories. Nevermind.

Godfather
05-31-2010, 02:40 PM
I'll have to say the 1989 playoffs when we beat the Oilers.

ricardisimo
05-31-2010, 03:01 PM
Almost all of my fondest memories are non-SB. Most of them are individual performances. Bettis' first game against the Rams was a lot of fun. Louis Lipps' play, win or lose, was a joy to watch. Just waiting for Rod Woodson to make a perfectly-timed pick throughout most of his tenure with us. Barry Foster's big season... Lots and lots of great memories.

Chadman
05-31-2010, 05:40 PM
I was at the immaculate reception game.

I was at the Miami vs Steelers AFC championship game when Larry freakin Seiple ran a fake punt for first down to turn the tide of the game to Miami's favor. The Steelers were dominating the Dolphins until that play. The Steelers could have prevented Mercury Morris from running his mouth about the 17-0 Dolphins. :evil:

I was at the Browns vs Steelers when Bahr kicked the game winner in OT 33-30

I was at the Browns meltdown in playoffs (can't remember what year) when Maddox led them back in the 4th quarter.

I know these are SB related, but I was at SB XIII and XIV.

I was at the Maulers home opener the year they signed Mike Rozier. :?

I was at the Pitt vs ND game when Dorsett ran for over 300 yards

I got to see the following players play while at Pitt: Dorsett, Cavanaugh, Hugh Green, Rickey Jackson and Marino. Good times

I attended 2 World Series games in 1979 coming back from a 1-3 deficit to win in 7, Pops Stargell rules.

I'm sure there are more, but, as you can tell, I'm old, so I misremember some things. :P

Pappy

Pap was also there when Moses came down from the mountain with those stone tablets, and he has first-hand knowledge on the real story of the Spartan 300...