PDA

View Full Version : Curse of the terrible towel still haunts Lendale White

SteelCrazy
05-28-2010, 05:16 PM
The Seattle Seahawks have formally announced the release of running back LenDale White.

And this time they won't be taking it back.

"It became apparent at this time that LenDale was not ready to be a member of the Seattle Seahawks," Seahawks G.M. John Schneider said in the team's statement. "It just did not appear to be the right fit at this point in our program. We wish LenDale all the best with his future."

The Seahawks acquired White in a trade with the Tennessee Titans during the NFL draft, and it's not clear why the team decided to get rid of him a month later. Seahawks coach Pete Carroll, who also coached White at USC, had indicated that he was excited about being reunited with his old running back, and reports out of Seattle indicated that White was no longer struggling with his weight.

But whatever the reasons, White is now an unrestricted free agent, available to any team that wants him. We know the Titans and Seahawks don't.

profootballtalk.com

hawaiiansteel
05-28-2010, 05:25 PM
i would rather have Betty White on my team than LenDale White...

http://www.cnn.com/video/showbiz/2010/02/09/betty.white.snickers.ad.cnn.640x360.jpg

SteelCrazy
05-28-2010, 05:32 PM

http://www.cnn.com/video/showbiz/2010/02/09/betty.white.snickers.ad.cnn.640x360.jpg

She has more moves than Ex-Lax

Prok
05-28-2010, 05:42 PM

Hahaha.

Maybe the clowns will sign him now. Hopefully.

:Cheers

Discipline of Steel
05-28-2010, 05:47 PM
The Seattle Seahawks have formally announced the release of running back LenDale White.

And this time they won't be taking it back.

"It became apparent at this time that LenDale was not ready to be a member of the Seattle Seahawks," Seahawks G.M. John Schneider said in the team's statement. "It just did not appear to be the right fit at this point in our program. We wish LenDale all the best with his future."

The Seahawks acquired White in a trade with the Tennessee Titans during the NFL draft, and it's not clear why the team decided to get rid of him a month later. Seahawks coach Pete Carroll, who also coached White at USC, had indicated that he was excited about being reunited with his old running back, and reports out of Seattle indicated that White was no longer struggling with his weight.

But whatever the reasons, White is now an unrestricted free agent, available to any team that wants him. We know the Titans and Seahawks don't.

profootballtalk.com

"It became apparent at this time that LenDale was not ready to be a member of the Seattle Seahawks,"

LMFAO! :P

ALLD
05-28-2010, 05:47 PM
Sounds like he did not want to restructure his contract when they found out he was not a starting RB. He should get Ricky Williams' agent so he can play in the CFL.

Polamalubeast
05-28-2010, 06:07 PM
Landale White Sucks :D :P :tt2

hawaiiansteel
05-28-2010, 07:30 PM

yes, and now it looks like LenWhale is facing a 4-games suspension as well..

May 28 6:28p
NFL. com

Following running back LenDale White's parting of ways from the Seahawks, general manager John Schneider explained that White "was not ready to be a Seahawk." It was quite a vague statement, but NFL.com's Jason La Canfora just tweeted something that may shine some light on the decision.

LenDale White likely facing 4-game drug suspension, according to sources. Reasons for his release beyond that.

Even if this suspension wasn't the prime motivator behind White's trip to the waiver wire, as La Canfora says, it surely didn't help matters.

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/5/28/14921 ... d-released (http://www.sbnation.com/2010/5/28/1492184/lendale-white-drug-suspension-seahawks-waived-released)

ALLD
05-28-2010, 07:43 PM

yes, and now it looks like LenWhale is facing a 4-games suspension as well..

May 28 6:28p
NFL. com

Following running back LenDale White's parting of ways from the Seahawks, general manager John Schneider explained that White "was not ready to be a Seahawk." It was quite a vague statement, but NFL.com's Jason La Canfora just tweeted something that may shine some light on the decision.

LenDale White likely facing 4-game drug suspension, according to sources. Reasons for his release beyond that.

Even if this suspension wasn't the prime motivator behind White's trip to the waiver wire, as La Canfora says, it surely didn't help matters.

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/5/28/14921 ... d-released (http://www.sbnation.com/2010/5/28/1492184/lendale-white-drug-suspension-seahawks-waived-released)

Some people just don't have their priorities straight.

Sugar
05-28-2010, 08:14 PM
If this had been a month or so ago (prior to the Dwyer signing), there would have been more than a few on this board looking for the Steelers to sign him as the "big back" that we somehow need.

hawaiiansteel
05-28-2010, 11:35 PM
Fri May 28, 2010 6:43 pm EDT

Seahawks cut LenDale White, who faces a drug suspension
By Doug Farrar

http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_nfl_experts__23/ept_sports_nfl_experts-481998557-1275086420.jpg?ymUpdNDDl4RPi8VV

Just a month after they exchanged fourth- and sixth-round draft picks with the Tennessee Titans for running back LenDale White(notes), the Seattle Seahawks have released the USC alum.

The Seahawks were thought to be interested in White's services for two reasons — new head coach Pete Carroll coached White at USC, and they lack a goal-line back or a bruising first-down back on the roster.

Despite the cast that White slimmed down to 220 pounds and was in the best shape of his football career, there were rumblings within the front office that White, who ran for 2,349 yards and 24 touchdowns in four seasons with the Titans, wasn't performing to the level expected by Carroll and general manager John Schneider. Schneider expressed the reason for the release like so: "It became apparent at this time that LenDale was not ready to be a member of the Seahawks. It just did not appear to be the right fit at this point in our program. We wish LenDale all the best with his future."

What we then learned, per Jason La Canfora of the NFL Network, was that White is facing a four-game suspension for a violation of the NFL's substance-abuse policy. No further details were available. According to La Canfora, the Seahawks were aware of White's possible suspension when they traded for him, and that was not the reason he was cut.

It's possible that the Seahawks hoped and expected that White would become a part of the team only to be disappointed and surprised by his work ethic. I would maintain that it's also possible that this move, coming as early in the preseason process as it does, is as much about sending a message to the team, media and fans about the New Pete Carroll as anything else.

Carroll is a self-aware guy and always has been — few coaches at any level are as astute when it comes to public perceptions — and he had to know the reputation that followed him back into the NFL from his decade at USC. A player's coach, a bit of a milquetoast, a guy that professional veterans wouldn't take seriously. But in cutting a player that he not only coached in college but also dealt for in his first draft back in the NFL, Carroll's telling the world that nobody, including the coach himself, is on scholarship. He has to get his new team to buy in, and this is one way to go.

As for White, who's always been up against it from a commitment perspective, this is a major blow. When the coach who benefited from your collegiate production casts you aside, that sends a very strong message to the rest of the league.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdo ... nfl,244458 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Seahawks-cut-LenDale-White-who-now-faces-a-drug?urn=nfl,244458)

PSU_dropout43
05-28-2010, 11:39 PM
sign him!

hawaiiansteel
05-28-2010, 11:43 PM
sign him!

yeah, then Ben can have a good influence like LenWhale keep him company those first 4 weeks of the season...

RuthlessBurgher
05-28-2010, 11:46 PM
I hope LenDale doesn't actually jump off a building this time, like the false-suicide prank that White and Carroll played on the team for Halloween back when they were at USC.

fordfixer
05-29-2010, 01:42 AM
Seahawks abruptly waive RB LenDale White

By GREGG BELL, AP Sports Writer 3 hours, 16 minutes ago
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A ... tereleased (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AkkH3HN5QQXyjyaQcl.gD3VDubYF?slug=ap-seahawks-whitereleased)

SEATTLE (AP)—The uncle for running back LenDale White(notes) says his nephew is “confused” and “broken up” over the Seahawks’ decision to unexpectedly waive the running back just weeks after a draft-day trade that brought him to Seattle from Tennessee.

Herman White told The Associated Press in a phone interview Friday night that he had been speaking with the former USC star throughout the day.

“He wasn’t doing good,” Herman White said.

“I have no idea what happened.”

The uncle said he does not know what’s behind a report that White was facing a four-game suspension for violating the league’s drug policy. He said he was due to speak to the Titans’ former leading rusher later Friday night or Saturday to find out more.

“He was surprised,” Herman White said, adding LenDale told him this week how great his second NFL chance was going with his former college coach, Pete Carroll. “I’m pretty shocked, based on what he’s been telling me.

“His emotions and all … he wasn’t doing good (Friday).”

Seahawks general manager John Schneider announced the surprise move just over a month after he traded a couple of lower-round draft picks for White and defensive tackle Kevin Vickerson(notes).

“It became apparent at this time that LenDale was not ready to be a member of the Seattle Seahawks,” Schneider said.

He did not elaborate.

NFL Network, citing unidentified sources, reported that White was “likely” facing a four-game suspension.

“We have not announced any such suspension,” league spokesman Greg Aiello told the AP Friday night. “I have no other information on it.”

The list of players enrolled in the league’s substance-abuse program for a prior incident, and therefore subject to discipline, is confidential.

The 25-year-old White set touchdown records and won two national championships with Carroll at USC. He was seemingly getting a second chance as a pro in Seattle—maybe to even become a starter again—while being reunited with his college coach.

Issues with weight, work ethic and the emergence last season of Chris Johnson cost him his job with the Titans.

“I was a lot younger in my mind, honestly,” White said Monday of his early seasons in the NFL. “I put myself in a lot of situations.”

Now he’s in another one.

“He understands what position he’s now in,” Herman White said. “He’s got to recommit to rectify what’s happened.”

The Seahawks gave up on White after he had only limited chances to display his work ethic—and months before he was even going to put on full pads. He participated in just one minicamp and a handful of organized team activities on the practice field before the team waived him.

White had lost more than 45 pounds over the last year and a half. He was down to 220 in his brief stay with the Seahawks.

White said he wanted to get back up to 228 pounds for this season. Seattle’s starting job seemed within his reach as Carroll opened every position to competition.

He missed one day of organized team activities this month. He said on Monday there was some “family stuff I had to take care of.

“I think in the last six months I’ve grown up a lot more,” he said.

Agent Drew Rosenhaus did not return phone and e-mail messages.

Earlier this week, White said he felt great. He again thanked Carroll for rescuing him from his dead end in Tennessee.

“Going from ‘SC, back-to-back national championships to not playing at all, it’s a life-changing thing,” White said Monday. “But I’m still here. Pete gave me another chance. I don’t think I’ve been this healthy since I was 18 years old.”

Carroll had said Monday that the team would see how everything fit together with White.

“He’s got a long ways to go to get back in here with this club, but we’re going to certainly wait it out and see how it does,” he said.

The wait lasted all of four days.

“It just did not appear to be the right fit at this point in our program,” Schneider said. “We wish LenDale all the best with his future.”

AP Sports Writer Teresa M. Walker in Nashville, Tenn., contributed to this report.

Wallace108
05-29-2010, 01:48 AM
[youtube:y3gi7igh]XDj6kywTm50[/youtube:y3gi7igh]

hawaiiansteel
05-29-2010, 02:02 AM
[youtube:2k00yfjj]XDj6kywTm50[/youtube:2k00yfjj]

yeah, i watched this game on tv and remember busting out my Hawaiian Voodoo Doll and wishing that LenWhale, Buttock and the rest of the Titans would NOT win the Super Bowl that year.

and a few other things like all of them going straight to a place where a red devil resides... :evil:

http://www.masada2000.org/Arafat-In-Hell2.jpg

Wallace108
05-29-2010, 03:40 AM
[youtube:3sf6goin]XDj6kywTm50[/youtube:3sf6goin]

yeah, i watched this game on tv and remember busting out my Hawaiian Voodoo Doll and wishing that LenWhale, Buttock and the rest of the Titans would NOT win the Super Bowl that year.

and a few other things like all of them going straight to a place where a red devil resides... :evil:

Well, one down ... one to go. :lol:

plainnasty
05-29-2010, 07:32 AM
It's kind of ironic that many people wanted the Steelers to draft White instead of Holmes in the 2006 draft.

In hindsight, Mangold may have been the way to go, but without Holmes, it unlikely we win the SuperBowl, or even get to it, so I'm not sure if I would change a thing.

Sugar
05-29-2010, 09:58 AM
It's kind of ironic that many people wanted the Steelers to draft White instead of Holmes in the 2006 draft.

In hindsight, Mangold may have been the way to go, but without Holmes, it unlikely we win the SuperBowl, or even get to it, so I'm not sure if I would change a thing.

I wouldn't change it either- Holmes was so excited to be a Steeler. He was a fan of the team even before he came to the club. He also helped knock the Bengals out of the playoffs in his rookie year, which I must thank him for.

Of course, with the problems that we've had at Center since Hartings retired, who knows if Mangold might have helped us reach the promised land in a different way.

RuthlessBurgher
05-29-2010, 11:23 AM
[youtube:1ix1dvcc]XDj6kywTm50[/youtube:1ix1dvcc]

Well, one down ... one to go. :lol:

Bulluck doesn't have a team either. His contract ran out in Tennessee after this past season, and they have not re-signed him. No one else has signed him either. White and Bulluck are both teamless free agents, and there does not seem to be much interest in either of them at this point. Looks like they are going to have to count on someone getting injured in training camp somewhere in order to find a job this season. Screw 'em both.